• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Sam and Henry just died.
How far am I?

Enjoying the game but I don't like the gunfights honestly. Could have been an amazing walking sim, lol.

Sam and Henry just died.
How far am I?

Enjoying the game but I don't like the gunfights honestly. Could have been an amazing walking sim, lol.
Most of the encounters can be taken on without using your guns if that bothers you. Try stealth, bricks and bottles in conjunction with a melee weapon, and definitely upgrade and use the bow.

Most of the encounters can be taken on without using your guns if that bothers you. Try stealth, bricks and bottles in conjunction with a melee weapon, and definitely upgrade and use the bow.

Usually what happens is I try to stealth, mess up, try to just run away, but it's an unavoidable fight where the exit prompt doesn't appear until someone says, "alright, I think that's all of them."

Anywho, now up to
Ellie was taken into surgery and I'm upset about it.
How far now? I ask out of pure interest, not in a rushing sense.

Edit: Turns out not much was left, lol. Having watched the trailer already for TLOU II (IDK why) I was surprised that
Joel lives
. So what happens in between games? Amazing story and writing, gameplay not so fun. Most memorable parts were the creative shootouts, like Joel hanging upside down, or sniping zombies while Ellie, Henry, and Sam run towards the house.

Saya

My mom played through this game and kept raving about it and urging me to play it. But for some reason I never got around to it. Well, a few days ago I finally started the game and, holy shit, it is amazing so far. I'm not sure how far into the game I am
(I just got to a little town trying to look for a guy named Bill after escaping soldiers in the museum and swimming through a subway system
), but I am loving it. The game looks soooo good. Sometimes I just want to stand still and enjoy the scenery. Combat is still a bit challenging for me and I am dying a lot. Still it is fun. I kinda approach the combat sequences as puzzle games.

Finished it. First time through.

Good story, despite some pacing issues imo. Great leads. Gameplay was fun to rote, set pieces not great at times, but some combat areas were great. Little too much dissonance between survival world and identikit thug killer world. Lore building outside main narrative decent, although the sooner someone fixes 'collect dissonant expository notes' the better.

Enjoyed it, glad i played it, def interested in sequel, didn't adore it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
My mom played through this game and kept raving about it and urging me to play it. But for some reason I never got around to it. Well, a few days ago I finally started the game and, holy shit, it is amazing so far. I'm not sure how far into the game I am
(I just got to a little town trying to look for a guy named Bill after escaping soldiers in the museum and swimming through a subway system
), but I am loving it. The game looks soooo good. Sometimes I just want to stand still and enjoy the scenery. Combat is still a bit challenging for me and I am dying a lot. Still it is fun. I kinda approach the combat sequences as puzzle games.

If you're
looking for Bill
you've done about 1/3rd of the story. Well,
"Bill's Town"
is the 4th Chapter out of 12.

Just_one

Trying to go for the grounded trophies...

holy shit...this is really fuckin hard...

dont know if im gonna be able to finish it...

Saya

I'm at
the underwater apartment section
now. Still loving the game. However, Ellie's AI is still a bit off at times. In narrow sections she can block the way and I've encountered situations were I was about to stealth kill a dude but then she suddenly rushes in and pushes me out the way to be detected. Also, the spawn points of enemies are quite strange. Sometimes it feels they spawn right on top of me or right behind me. Or is that just me?

Saya

I finished the main game last night. Damn, that ending was so good. There is only one ending right? Or multiple? I loved the character arc of Joel and Ellie. Just fantastic. I'm gonna play through this mode (normal) one more time to collect everything and then I'll tackle the DLC and a higher difficulty level. Also, I just learned you can skip the movie cutscenes lol.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I finished the main game last night. Damn, that ending was so good. There is only one ending right? Or multiple? I loved the character arc of Joel and Ellie. Just fantastic. I'm gonna play through this mode (normal) one more time to collect everything and then I'll tackle the DLC and a higher difficulty level. Also, I just learned you can skip the movie cutscenes lol.

just one

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Alright, I am finally about to start this game for the first time, does anyone have any advice to make it more enjoyable?
My advice is play on Hard with Listen Mode disabled.

And that the game has interesting stealth... you don't have to "sneak" around human enemies, just break line of sight. There's a refreshing freedom in being able to walk and jog when you're stalking around enemies. Very predatory. You become the hunter at a certain point... but realize you could have been from the beginning, if you'd known the game was a bit different than most other "crouch-walkers".

Infected have better hearing though... so stealth is more traditional.

And lastly, melee weapons are best used as finishers. To get a OHK and have them last longer... try to always stun an enemy with a brick or bottle, and then hit 'em with a sprinting melee. There's also a bunch of contextual melee. You can finish enemies by bashing them into walls, furniture, etc... or kicking them off stuff. Experiment.

My advice is play on Hard with Listen Mode disabled.

I second this. Starting out on Hard mode is the perfect balance, imo. You could even keep listen mode enabled, but try to use it sparingly or not at all (though if you think you'll use it because it's an option, then disable it).

Started playing again, find the game rather clunky and wasn't enjoying it so just switched to easy and am breezing through for the story element. Having a lot more fun now. Just gotten to the
Hydroelectric Dam
Feel like i'm about half way now.

LTTP: after reading on GAF all the glowing user reviews of this game and the claims that this is the GOTG, better than RE4 etc. Finally played this game and finished it in less than a month.

It certainly lived up to the hype.

-best voice acting and facial emotions I’ve seen so far in a video game. The actor who played Joel gave me Bryan Cranston vibes.

-varies environments. I especially liked

SPOILER

I wouldn’t rank the gameplay better than RE4. RE4 is still king. TLOS would be the prince.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
well RE4 is pretty old compared to last of us. Also ashley is annoying, always getting caught, and has a annoying voice. Though I like the weapons, and making weapons to be more fun then RE4 weapons. Leon acts like a dork sometimes, you think he would just give up on Ada, since she's nothing but a cock tease.

Last edited:
Top Bottom