• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Remastered Patched for Pro/HDR Support

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Was posted in another thread but I figured it was noteworthy since HDR does work on the standard PS4. Would love impressions of that mode.
30583412112_4431af4678_o.png

Venuspower

I am wondering about the improvement for stereo audio.
Looks pretty interesting. Was there any bug with the stereo audio before?

NeoBob688

I am oh so very curious about what this does regarding the following issues:

1. 1080p 60 FPS had reduced shadow quality
2. 1080p 60 FPS had some framerate drops in certain sections of the game
3. Anti-aliasing solution was sub-par (post-process only)

dano1

A Sheep
Re downloading. To test out my Sony HDR TV.

Sure does seem like the new tomb raider has HDR. If not the lighting is spectacular without it!

Soriku

I have an 8 bit+FRC TV that supports an HDR signal.

Just turned it on and the title screen window looks immediately different. Like it's more gray than yellow now. Not sure if it's just the different color setting I have with my TV now, need to check...

III-V

So when you start at the title screen, it recognizes that you have a HDR TV, then it says,

"HDR will be turned on to display HDR-optimized video. The following restrictions apply:

• The colors in video clips, broadcasts, and other video might appear differently than expected
  • The gameplay recording and broadcasting features might be unavailable

Cubed

I am oh so very curious about what this does regarding the following issues:

1. 1080p 60 FPS had reduced shadow quality
2. 1080p 60 FPS had some framerate drops in certain sections of the game
3. Anti-aliasing solution was sub-par (post-process only)

From what I've read the Pro Mode is Native 4K at 30fps, uses HDR, and has the shadows from the 1080/30 mode on the base PS4. Not sure if there is a second Pro Mode that has upgraded shadows, HDR, 60fps, but at checkerboard 4K.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
From what I've read the Pro Mode is Native 4K at 60fps, uses HDR, and has the shadows from the 1080/30 mode on the base PS4. So, the Pro Mode is pretty stacked.

Native 4K at 30fps. They haven't said much about the 60fps option other than it running more smoothly.

dano1

A Sheep
People trying this out.
1.Make sure you have the latest HDMI cables
2. Some tvs HDMI inputs must be changed to enhanced. My Sony was set to standard by default
3. If your hdmi cables run through a receiver it also must be HDR compatible. Most aren't.

Elios83

Trying this on my 49KS8000, looks stunning :O
Really noticeable difference.
I could take some pictures with my phone but I doubt it would convey the effect as seen in person.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
A quick comparison seems to suggest people are seeing 'muted' colours because the non-HDR appears more saturated. Turning on and off HDR and comparing the same scene the HDR version is much much better and more realistic. I can't really go back to the non-HDR version now it looks 'cartoony' to me, as in over saturated like you might see on TVs displayed in a store with bright lighting.

It's not that the HDR version is 'muted' as such but the colours weren't supposed to appear so vibrant in the first place and now there's more information there they can cover a much larger range.

However that's assuming everyone's settings and everything is working properly. It may also be there's some bug or something I'm not seeing.

A quick comparison seems to suggest people are seeing 'muted' colours because the non-HDR appears more saturated. Turning on and off HDR and comparing the same scene the HDR version is much much better and more realistic. I can't really go back to the non-HDR version now it looks 'cartoony' to me, as in over saturated like you might see on TVs displayed in a store with bright lighting.

It's not that the HDR version is 'muted' as such but the colours weren't supposed to appear so vibrant in the first place and now there's more information there they can cover a much larger range.

However that's assuming everyone's settings and everything is working properly. It may also be there's some bug or something I'm not seeing.

If you hit the PS button and go back to the XMB does it also appear really dim/muted?

Purexed

Banned
On a scale of 1 - 5 for HDR impact, with 1 being Deus Ex and 5 being Forza Horizon 3, I'd rate this as a 1.5

Besides the fact this is a fairly old remaster of a PS3 game, the muted color palettes don't do much for its capacity to impress with HDR. Scenes are generally muted and the noise and shimmering on the character textures stick out like a sore thumb. Again, it's fine for such an old game, but I'm still waiting to see HDR pop on a PlayStation console.

65" KS8000 in case you were wondering.

Lady Gaia

A quick comparison seems to suggest people are seeing 'muted' colours because the non-HDR appears more saturated.

What color space setting do you use on your KS8000? It should be "Auto" to avoid over-saturating colors used in the Rec.709 color space normally used for 1080p content. All HDR content will automatically use the native color space regardless of the setting, if I remember correctly since HDR output is presumed to be using the Rec.2020 color space.

Sanctuary

The colors are more subdued.

Stupid question maybe, but does your set require you to activate a specific setting for HDR, or is it truly automatic? The LG sets anyway require you to turn on Ultra HD Deep Color, or HDR doesn't function at all, even if the set detects it.

Stupid question maybe, but does your set require you to activate a specific setting for HDR, or is it truly automatic? The LG sets anyway require you to turn on Ultra HD Deep Color, or HDR doesn't function at all, even if the set detects it.

Same with my Samsung. You need to set UHD Colour to "on" for each HDMI input you want to use. Otherwise the game doesn't pick it up

FHIZ

Wish the screen didn't dim in the pause menu then cut to black when switching between HDR and SDR so I could tell the difference more. TV saying I'm getting an HDR signal but it's hard to tell, especially since I haven't done played this game in forever.

I'm scared seeing how my Vizio P-Series still has issues regarding the HDR with the Xbox One S, gonna see if my TV will work with the PS4.

Soriku

I have an LG set. I turned on the Deep Color, and when it derects HDR it automatically goes into the HDR Bright mode.

On a scale of 1 - 5 for HDR impact, with 1 being Deus Ex and 5 being Forza Horizon 3, I'd rate this as a 1.5

Besides the fact this is a fairly old remaster of a PS3 game, the muted color palettes don't do much for its capacity to impress with HDR. Scenes are generally muted and the noise and shimmering on the character textures stick out like a sore thumb. Again, it's fine for such an old game, but I'm still waiting to see HDR pop on a PlayStation console.

65" KS8000 in case you were wondering.

Let's also not forget GOW4.. outstanding when it comes to HDR

Ellite25

How do I know if HDR is displaying on my ks8000?

Edit: ok figured it out. My PS4 doesn't need to be plugged into a specific hdmi port correct?

III-V

Besides the fact this is a fairly old remaster of a PS3 game, the muted color palettes don't do much for its capacity to impress with HDR. Scenes are generally muted and the noise and shimmering on the character textures stick out like a sore thumb.

Agreed. I think the 4K Pro patch should do wonders to tighten up the jaggies and moire and really work to clean up the overall presentation.

I do think that native 4K + HDR will look really nice.

Top Bottom