• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Remastered Patched for Pro/HDR Support

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Here's mine with HDR on:

And without it:

I assure you it's much more pronounced in person, the screen is very dim

Not sure, it's either not happening on mine or the theme I'm using doesn't show it well (Firewatch theme). I'm using a mid-range LG. Deep Colour turned on for the HDMI and everything set to Auto on the PS4.

Craiji

Was frustrated that the mode was greyed out on my HDR TV... then realized it was going trough the PSVR.

Looks really great so far!

Washed out image on my Vizio P55-C1. Apparently Vizio does not support HDR for gaming (Xbox One S or PS4). Next update should fix that.

McSpidey

Just tested on an LG E6 OLED and it has the same problem as Deux Ex (PS4) in HDR, crushed blacks in Limited mode (low black level on TV). Looks fine in Full mode (high black level on TV) however. What's interesting is Limited looks much closer to normal if you turn on Dynamic Contrast on the TV to medium and max out the in-game brightness control. I wonder if developers just aren't testing in Limited mode, or if they do it's with incorrect PS4/TV settings.

RE Colours and brightness in HDR modes - HDR10 is an absolute brightness control designed to let developers decide what every pixel looks like, in a way forcing calibrated brightness levels on everyone.

Most people have probably been watching SDR content get mapped out of spec to the TVs much higher abilities so direct comparisons to HDR will indeed look muted, if that's the intended look developers want.

nikos

This is my first time seeing a game with HDR, as I just purchased a KS8000.

At a quick glance, it looks better but this is still a previous gen game so its overall look takes away from it.

Also seems like I have to turn my backlight up to really get the full effect. From what I've read, the KS8000's backlight should be at max when viewing HDR content, which is pretty much torch mode.

This just got me even more excited for the PS4 Pro.

SpartanN92

Banned
Is there a thread regarding best calibration for the KS8000?

I feel like I'm not doing it right. Very noticeable input lag in GoW4 with HDR turned on

Soriku

Just tested on an LG E6 OLED and it has the same problem as Deux Ex (PS4) in HDR, crushed blacks in Limited mode (low black level on TV). Looks fine in Full mode (high black level on TV) however. What's interesting is Limited looks much closer to normal if you turn on Dynamic Contrast on the TV to medium and max out the in-game brightness control. I wonder if developers just aren't testing in Limited mode, or if they do it's with incorrect PS4/TV settings.

RE Colours and brightness in HDR modes - HDR10 is an absolute brightness control designed to let developers decide what every pixel looks, in a way forcing calibrated brightness levels on everyone.

Most people have probably been watching SDR content get mapped out of spec to the TVs much higher abilities so direct comparisons to HDR will indeed look muted if that's the intended look developers want.

The picture does seem brighter on Full mode.

Ellite25

I thought on the ks8000 when displaying HDR it's supposed to jump up to 20 for the backlit but mine didn't. Does that mean I wasn't displaying the game in HDR?

I am oh so very curious about what this does regarding the following issues:

1. 1080p 60 FPS had reduced shadow quality
2. 1080p 60 FPS had some framerate drops in certain sections of the game
3. Anti-aliasing solution was sub-par (post-process only)

- TLOU:R is 60 FPS on PS4 and has a 30 FPS mode with improved shadows.

- TLOU:R on PS4 PRO is native 4K @ 30 FPS with the best shadows but has a 60 FPS mode but in checkerboard and the 60 FPS mode of TLOU:R on PS4 PRO is more stable with no dips compared to the laggy 60 FPS mode on PS4.

Now you have HDR in both versions.

Gray-Fox

I thought on the ks8000 when displaying HDR it's supposed to jump up to 20 for the backlit but mine didn't. Does that mean I wasn't displaying the game in HDR?

Yeah the brightness should be 20 on ks8000 in HDR
Movie mode triggers HDR on the tv

- TLOU:R is 60 FPS on PS4 and has a 30 FPS mode with improved shadows.

- TLOU:R on PS4 PRO is native 4K @ 30 FPS with the best shadows but has a 60 FPS mode but in checkerboard and the 60 FPS mode of TLOU:R on PS4 PRO is more stable with no dips compared to the laggy 60 FPS mode on PS4.

Now you have HDR in both versions.

Added + HDR for TLOU:R in OP in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1289840

Where'd you get info that TLOU:R has a checkerboard 60fps mode?

holy shit this HDR stuff sounds like a config nightmare at the moment

It's been a mess on the Vizio P-series. Some movies don't work (Life of Pi), there's been updates that change the image (doesn't seem better or worse to me, just different), and it can't even display HDR games for some reason, which seems utterly ridiculous to me. Supposedly an update coming out soon will allow it.

I wish I would have done more research when I was shopping, overall I'm still really happy with the TV, it's image is ridiculously good and it's the best TV I've ever owned by far, but I would have never imagined I'd have to wait for firmware updates to add functionality to a TV.

Ellite25

So the fact that it didn't jump to 20 means it wasn't in HDR? There was a popup saying I was viewing HDR content but it stayed at 13 for the backlight. I was in game mode.

The automatic switch to 20 backlight on the ks8000 doesn't work in game mode. It's an oversight or bug in the current firmware, so you'll have to do that manually. It should do that in movie mode though.

There should be a popup saying you are playing hdr content when the game flips to hdr mode. At least, there was one for me when playing Deus Ex with hdr. You can also press the center button on your remote, and you should see "hdr" in the info window.

(and as a strange aside, hdr content in netflix doesnt pop up the "now playing hdr content" banner, but hdr content in amazon prime does. Both set the backlight to 20 for me, and are clearly displaying hdr)

Chamber

love on your sleeve
So the fact that it didn't jump to 20 means it wasn't in HDR? There was a popup saying I was viewing HDR content but it stayed at 13 for the backlight. I was in game mode.

If you got the pop-up you're fine. Your backlight doesn't HAVE to be at 20 for HDR, it's just the recommended setting.

Ellite25

The automatic switch to 20 backlight on the ks8000 doesn't work in game mode. It's an oversight or bug in the current firmware, so you'll have to do that manually. It should do that in movie mode though.

There should be a popup saying you are playing hdr content when the game flips to hdr mode. At least, there was one for me when playing Deus Ex with hdr. You can also press the center button on your remote, and you should see "hdr" in the info window.

(and as a strange aside, hdr content in netflix doesnt pop up the "now playing hdr content" banner, but hdr content in amazon prime does. Both set the backlight to 20 for me though)
ok cool. The colors did look more vibrant but I wanted to make sure. Hopefully they'll fix that.

I'm surprised people are having to ask whether HDR is on on the Samsung TV. Haven't gotten to try games on my Vizio yet but it's immediately obvious when a movie or show are HDR.

The press has started receiving their PS4 PROs
3u4PRGT.png

CyberChulo

Just checked this out on my Sony 75 940c. IT'S FUCKING AMAZING! At first I didn't see much difference in the prologue. When I got into Uncle Tommy's car and looked at the house where his headlights are shining, BAM! Eye sockets blown. I also liked how the sign posts really reflected light just like in real life with the brightness bounce back from the car's headlights. Then the run through the streets where the whole apartment was caught on fire lit up Hella bright!

I can't wait to see this in 4k with HDR!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Difference on mine doesn't seem quite as pronounced, but I still think it's improved.

HDR Sky

img_20161031_2158061z0u2r.jpg

Non HDR Sky

img_20161031_215829rkuwu.jpg

I guess it will vary a lot depending on the scene

XGoldenboyX

Here's mine with HDR on:

And without it:

I assure you it's much more pronounced in person, the screen is very dim

Guys , you have to go to your PS4 settings and turn on Full RGB for HDR to work properlly. Otherwise if its to Automatic, it will stay in limited color range on PS4.

I had the same issue with DX

Also Make sure your TV HDMI outputs Full HDR color output.

Shin-Ra

ND haven't changed the unattractive grey tint in chapters like Outskirts, so while the floodlights and lightning forks shine extra bright, the impact is lessened by the lack of environment contrast.

Load up Bill's Town - The Woods, however, and you should immediately appreciate the glare of the sun and clouds against the shadowy side of treetops, highlights on grass reflecting direct sunlight. Moving further on, stop to watch fireflies pulsate green, but they shine brightest when their glow shrinks to a focused luminescent speck.

Top Bottom