• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Remastered Patched for Pro/HDR Support

Vuze

Off-screen shots viewed on a non-HDR set. Not very informative on how the game actually looks on a HDR-set.
I gave up on this. People will ask for ""comparison"" shots anyway then complain how blown out everything looks on this phone-quality SDR image of an HDR Screen on their phone and how worthless HDR is. Whatever.

Crumpo

I was excited to hear TLOU was getting native 4k; HDR was the icing on the cake!

But reading these pages has made me realise HDR gaming is a big faff and not incredibly user-friendly atm...I'll wait until next year when sets and receivers know how to switch between hdr and non-hdr settings easily.

McSpidey

Without resorting to off-screen photos this is the best way I've come up with for showing the difference on an SDR screen, simulated via using photography mode and turning down the exposure until only highlights were left. (...sorry about the twitter compression)
HDR is about seeing both these shots at once, with details visible in the highlights and overexposed areas
https://twitter.com/SyamaMishra/status/793364175191879680
CwKYfdzW8AAg9gE.jpg:large

CwKYgoRWEAADsxs.jpg:large

Another HDR example. It adds the missing details from the 2nd screenshot to the 1st in overexposed areas
https://twitter.com/SyamaMishra/status/793369329467215873
CwKdK1oUsAA8GhP.jpg:large

CwKdMpfUEAAK_7W.jpg:large

Without resorting to off-screen photos this is the best way I've come up with for showing the difference on an SDR screen, simulated via using photography mode and turning down the exposure until only highlights were left. (...sorry about the twitter compression)

Beautiful! Can someone answer if these games use WCG or not?

Mostly interested in 60fps mode on the PRO. Hoping I can finally play the game without any major framerate drops, having slightly better graphics would be a nice bonus, but I just want a stable 60fps.

dano1

A Sheep
The second you start the game walk into the hallway and see that nightlight on the wall you immediately know this is something very different!!
Colors are very natural. Nothing washed up here.

Can't wait to finish tomb raider on the pro with HDR. Lightning in that game is incredible already!!

eFKac

Haven't played much, but seems like the difference is noticeable but not mind blowing. Colours less vibrant but more natural, contrast elevated.

HDR setup was painless on my Bravia, game discovered my HDR capable TV, enabled the setting, scene automatically changed and voila.

Chao

Doesn't seem to work for me.

LG C6 owner, has both Dolby vision and HDR 10 and the HDR setting is greyed out in the option menu.

Am I doing anything wrong?

McSpidey

Beautiful! Can someone answer if these games use WCG or not?

As part of the HDR10 standard both Xbox One and PS4 are definitely sending a WCG capable BT.2020 container/signal, so it's possible - however there's no indication from devs or those with technical analysis capability to say what they're actually calibrating for or putting inside that container.

http://files.spectracal.com/Documents/White%20Papers/HDR_Demystified.pdf
The BT.2020 color space is a large container for color
gamut information, but the size of the container does
not define the color gamut of any particular content.
The color gamut volume within the BT.2020
container, as specified by HDR metadata, can be any
gamut content that is no larger than the BT.2020 color
space container.

MS are oddly on record saying Xbox One S isn't supporting WCG for games and Sony are on record from their PS4Pro reveal saying they do support it.
I can say that some scenes in The Last of Us Remastered in HDR mode are incredibly luscious looking in terms of colour :)

Doesn't seem to work for me.

LG C6 owner, has both Dolby vision and HDR 10 and the HDR setting is greyed out in the option menu.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Make sure you have "HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour" mode turned on in the TV settings for the HDMI port the PS4 is connected.
http://www.lg.com/uk/support/product-help/CT00008334-1437128590776-others
If that's already on and you have switches or other devices in the HDMI chain try connecting directly or trying another cable.

Soriku

Off-screen shots viewed on a non-HDR set. Not very informative on how the game actually looks on a HDR-set.

You can still tell the new image is less color saturated and has more detail in areas like clouds and such.

No it won't be 100% accurate on SDR but it should still give you a solid idea.

III-V

For those asking if the game is implementing a WCG, the answer is yes.

I am too short on time to U/L a bunch of shots, but it is easy to check for yourself in the picture adjustment menus, of the X800D at least. Switch from Auto to BT2020 and see no difference. Switch to anything else and you will see the difference. Very clear on the spray painting around town in '20 years later'.

zoukka

You can still tell the new image is less color saturated and has more detail in areas like clouds and such.

No it won't be 100% accurate on SDR but it should still give you a solid idea.

Yes you can tell that something is different, but you can't actually say whether it's better or worse. Placebo effect in full force.

Samsung UE65HU9000 owner here, I have everything turned on but the 'Enable HDR' option is greyed out? I do have a OneConnect box that came with the TV, but there's no ports in the actual TV for HDMI etc

Not sure what to do :/

Vuze

Oh fantastic! On my XD80, I can leave the PS4 plugged in to HDMI4 (which is not 'enhanced' aka 4K60 HDR capable). I feared I had to swap cables when I wanted to play HDR stuff on it but apparently that's not the case :)
Started up the game, it detected I have an HDR capable display and then the TV changed to HDR.
So maybe that also works for other TVs.

CyberChulo

HDR is about seeing both these shots at once, with details visible in the highlights and overexposed areas
https://twitter.com/SyamaMishra/stat...64175191879680

This is true. When I went past the town fires, they were really bright and I was expecting to lose detail in the darker areas due to "fake" HDR trickery, but every area maintained their detail and I was so amazed. I wonder if things will look even brighter when I play this in 4k due to the increased resolution and sharpness.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Wonder if they improved the lock to 30fps? The remastered lacked enough motion blur, which made the remastered quite juddery.

McSpidey

Wonder if they improved the lock to 30fps? The remastered lacked enough motion blur, which made the remastered quite juddery.

I tested 30fps mode and it's the same as it was before in this regard, at least on regular PS4. I hope they add more motion blur on the Pro's 30fps mode as it is indeed pretty juddery.

NeonDelta

Damn you Gaf, reading this thread when I woke up and ended up buying a 4K tv. It's only an Lg 49 620v but it only cost me £417 so can't complain

dmix90

I tested 30fps mode and it's the same as it was before in this regard, at least on regular PS4. I hope they add more motion blur on the Pro's 30fps mode as it is indeed pretty juddery.
IIRC you need to restart game after enabling 30fps framerate lock in options. Hotswap 60 fps to 30 felt very bad when i played the game but after restart it was similar to PS3 version.

Soriku

IIRC you need to restart game after enabling 30fps framerate lock in options. Hotswap 60 fps to 30 felt very bad when i played the game but after restart it was similar to PS3 version.

Really? Never tried this. It definitely didn't feel 30 FPS by hotswapping.

Vuze

So yeah, looks pretty neat on my end but I only played 20min before I ended up rage quitting lol. Just so out of touch with the game mechanics, I think I last touched it almost a year ago.

Its not full HDR10 on OG PS4 right? Since its HDMI 1.4
Slim and Pro has HDMI 2.0
Resolution and other 'general' enhancements aside, HDR won't look different between OG, Slim and Pro on the same TV.

CyberChulo

Another area that I never really noticed until the HDR patch was to look at the sun. With HDR off, I saw 3 or 4 layers of radiant banding. With HDR on, it all went away. I'll see if I can somehow capture some screens tonight. Maybe I have to use the HDR feature on my phone. Lol.

Ok, last one (HDR on the right)

img_20161031_223043lluqw.jpg

While the colours are more muted, there is more detail visible on the rock and the cracks are more apparent.

Keep in mind I believe my TV is only 8-bit so this isn't *true* HDR

if it doesn't have wide color gamut then its probably why it looks more muted. You're just seeing the HDR image squeezed into a non HDR color space, which would do that.

AshamanX

Neo Member
Hey guys, bit of help needed. I have a KS8000 like many here. I'm connected directly from HDMI1 to my PS4 (Have a PSVR, doesn't support HDR so made sure to connect directly).

HDR options turned on in PS4, and Game Mode and other settings from rtings.com set accordingly.

Once in game, the HDR option is OFF and grayed out. Any thoughts what could be missing on my end?

CyberChulo

Hey guys, bit of help needed. I have a KS8000 like many here. I'm connected directly from HDMI1 to my PS4 (Have a PSVR, doesn't support HDR so made sure to connect directly).

HDR options turned on in PS4, and Game Mode and other settings from rtings.com set accordingly.

Once in game, the HDR option is OFF and grayed out. Any thoughts what could be missing on my end?

I'm not sure why you have to do this. When you enable HDR in the game, doesn't it automatically switch to HDR on your TV? I don't have a Sammy, but my Sony TV does this automatically.

DjRalford

Updated software for the TV?
UHD colour output turned on for HDMI 1?

I just played it on my ks7000 (uk) and it detected it straight away, couldn't tell that much of a difference though walking through the camp in the 20 years later bit, even when toggling it on / off.

b0bbyJ03

This thread made me think that we need to have a separate thread to figure out the settings for all our TVs when using HDR. Like our own community database. For example, I have a B6 and I know that in order to get HDR i'd have to go to a specific HDMI setting to enable deep color for specific inputs. I'm sure that other brands probably have similar settings with different names. If we all figure it out together and set up a datasheet it could really eliminate the guess work for a lot of people.

I have a great 4k TV but it doesn't have HDR. It has me a little concerned. Will i still be able to run last of us at native 4k 30fps without hdr?

iMax

There is no HDR option on the TV. You'll be talking about HDR+ which is not HDR—it should be off.

DjRalford

We have a winner. UHD Color for HDMI1 was turned OFF. As soon as I turned it on, game prompted me to Enable HDR for the game.

Thanks friend.

You're welcome

Let me know what you think, didn't seem to make much difference to me, although I was only running round the camp on the 20 years later part.

Top Bottom