• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Remastered Patched for Pro/HDR Support

AshamanX

Neo Member
You're welcome

Let me know what you think, didn't seem to make much difference to me, although I was only running round the camp on the 20 years later part.

I agree, the start is a bit drab and lifeless. I loaded up Pittsburgh, a lot more colors and some sunshine. With HDR off, the sun really floods the screen. With HDR on, I found it quite different, it's pretty nice. It's going to be interesting to see Uncharted 4 with HDR, since it's a more polished game.

I'm scared seeing how my Vizio P-Series still has issues regarding the HDR with the Xbox One S, gonna see if my TV will work with the PS4.
The P-Series works with HDR on the PS4 Pro and has since the latest firmware to be released (2.2.7.4).

Vizio needs to get their shit together so I can play this, Gears, and Forza in HDR.
Nothing's stopping you from enjoying HDR on the PS4.

Washed out image on my Vizio P55-C1. Apparently Vizio does not support HDR for gaming (Xbox One S or PS4). Next update should fix that.
Am I going insane here?!

It's been a mess on the Vizio P-series... and it can't even display HDR games for some reason, which seems utterly ridiculous to me. Supposedly an update coming out soon will allow it
I must be!

Guys , you have to go to your PS4 settings and turn on Full RGB for HDR to work properlly. Otherwise if its to Automatic, it will stay in limited color range on PS4.
Yep, I'm clearly mental.

RGB settings needn't be changed from "Automatic" to get HDR on the PS4. Automatic works fine, so I'm not entirely sure why you're peddling this inaccuracy.

Also Make sure your TV HDMI outputs Full HDR color output.

Seriously, where is this misinformation coming from?!

PS4 HDR works just fine on the P-Series. Make sure you have the latest firmware and tell us about your entire HDMI chain. Because, really, you'd be the only one that's not getting HDR with the PS4.

Make sure you have HDMI Color Subsampling turned on for the appropriate input.

Remember, you can always check the status of a signal on the P-Series by doing the following:

Open Vizio SmartCast App
Settings
System
System Information
Display Information
Look under the header "HDR"

As the Xbox One S' HDR, yes, the P-Series cannot display it right now. Its fix is coming in the latest firmware, which we should expect this month.

And, since I'm already off the rocker here, HDR is not only about eye-searing brights. It is an increased luminosity across the whole gamut. Darks and shadow detail also greatly improve with HDR!

black070

It looked great until I toggled the HDR off option and saw just how lush and colourful the game looks without it. The HDR goes for a more realistic lighting approach, but makes the game look much more muted because of it, I'm conflicted.

DjRalford

Bollocks

Because I downloaded it on the downstairs PS4 and started it it's overwritten my completion save on plus storage. And I don't have the file on my other PS4 anymore.

The P-Series works with HDR on the PS4 Pro and has since the latest firmware to be released (2.2.7.4).

Nothing's stopping you from enjoying HDR on the PS4.

Am I going insane here?!

I must be!

Yep, I'm clearly mental.

RGB settings needn't be changed from "Automatic" to get HDR on the PS4. Automatic works fine, so I'm not entirely sure why you're peddling this inaccuracy.

I had the same issue with DX

Also Make sure your TV HDMI outputs Full HDR color output.

Seriously, where is this misinformation coming from?!

PS4 HDR works just fine on the P-Series. Make sure you have the latest firmware and tell us about your entire HDMI chain. Because, really, you'd be the only one that's not getting HDR with the PS4.

Make sure you have HDMI Color Subsampling turned on for the appropriate input.

Remember, you can always check the status of a signal on the P-Series by doing the following:

Open Vizio SmartCast App
Settings
System
System Information
Display Information
Look under the header "HDR"

As the Xbox One S' HDR, yes, the P-Series cannot display it right now. Its fix is coming in the latest firmware, which we should expect this month.

And, since I'm already off the rocker here, HDR is not only about eye-searing brights. It is an increased luminosity across the whole gamut. Darks and shadow detail also greatly improve with HDR! [/QUOTE]

Vizio customer service has been telling people a bunch of nonsense and then it gets typed out on some forum and it is taken as fact. The problem lies with some customer service people making shit up.

There's a few threads on avsforum that describe what's really going on. HDR on PS4's for M and P series tvs is working. HDR on Xbox One S is not working as Vizio didn't 'expect' to be sent a 4:2:0 signal, whatever that means. The CTO of Vizio has said they are working this issue and it should be ready for general release in about 30-45 days. Vizio DOES support gaming and HDR. I wish some customer service people would stop saying whatever they think they have to say just to get a frustrated customer off the phone.

ron_bato

Here are a bunch of HDR on and off screen captures using the share function. Usual disclaimer applies, non-hdr screens etc

Anyway, I much prefer the colors of the hdr mode as opposed to non-hdr which look way too saturated in my opinion. And I never had a problem with them before.

HDR off:
14852989_1428052227224945_7400479872410929976_o.jpg

HDR on:
14940003_1428052190558282_2967532014861348093_o.jpg

HDR off:
14902754_1428057273891107_6004230264380248364_o.jpg

HDR on:
14883430_1428057320557769_4699430281507878411_o.jpg

Oh man, wish we were getting some non HDR love like improved shadow resolution and other stuff :(

I want another excuse to play this game when I get a PS4K (without an HDR display)

ron_bato

I'm fairly certain that comparison shots won't work to communicate the difference.

Hence I said in my post 'usual disclaimer applies, non HDR screens etc,' it's at least something.

There's really no way to communicate how it looks in person, but it does show some differences.

Lady Gaia

Without resorting to off-screen photos this is the best way I've come up with for showing the difference on an SDR screen, simulated via using photography mode and turning down the exposure until only highlights were left. (...sorry about the twitter compression)

CwKYfdzW8AAg9gE.jpg:large

CwKYgoRWEAADsxs.jpg:large

That's a great illustration. The important thing to remember is that a camera won't show HDR usefully in a single shot for the same reason it's so effective: the dynamic range is much broader than we're used to dealing with on screen. You can't look at an HDR screen and see both the highlights and lowlights at the same time. Your pupils have to dilate to take in the shadowed parts and then the brights are uncomfortably bright until your pupils constrict again and you can see subtle detail in brightly lit areas.

It's more like engaging with the real world than the flattened look we've been experiencing in games and media until now.

The automatic switch to 20 backlight on the ks8000 doesn't work in game mode. It's an oversight or bug in the current firmware, so you'll have to do that manually. It should do that in movie mode though.

There's no automatic switch to 20 backlight on KS afaik.
Those TVs have two separate settings - one for normal signal and one when HDR signal is detected.
so when you display hdr stuff on that input for the first time you get 20 backlight since it's default mode in TV.

Here are a bunch of HDR on and off screen captures using the share function. Usual disclaimer applies, non-hdr screens etc

Anyway, I much prefer the colors of the hdr mode as opposed to non-hdr which look way too saturated in my opinion. And I never had a problem with them before.

HDR off:
14852989_1428052227224945_7400479872410929976_o.jpg

HDR on:
14940003_1428052190558282_2967532014861348093_o.jpg

HDR off:
14902754_1428057273891107_6004230264380248364_o.jpg

HDR on:
14883430_1428057320557769_4699430281507878411_o.jpg

Man, your colours look way better than mine.

This is really frustrating me. I wonder if it's my TV firmware

Unknown?

Yeah it definitely goes for the more realistic colors. I always thought the game was way too over saturated.

Tommyhawk

Just tried it.

The picture sure does look a lot more natural (especially the contrast).
I'm glad that I deliberately bought an HDR capable TV last year.

Vuze

ok so TV manufacturer are lying to us to sell new TVs when they could upgrade past TVs with firmware update...
I also feel ripped off by Sony. They could just update my PS4 OG to Pro level capabilities with a firmware update. Liars
Wait the screenshots currently can't take HDR screenshots too?
Nah, additional metadata for HDR needs to be supplied. I don't think any still image format supports this (yet). But I might be wrong, I have never edited/graded any HDR content at this point in time.

Ellite25

So after playing for a couple hours with HDR I'd have to say I'm really impressed. The vibrancy of the game is off the charts. It looks incredible. Excited to play this in 4K.

Apologies if this has already been answered -

I have a Samsung JS9000 and so far have been using black level set at low with my PS4 and Xbox S at low & standard respectively. Seems to work fine but my question is does having having them set this way affect the way HDR would display? Kinda makes sense HDR would need full RGB etc but I'm just not sure? Any advice would be appreciated

thisisamul

Neo Member
Was excited to try this patch on my Samsung JS8500 - but uncertain of how the TV would do given it's a 2015 HDR model and doesn't match the latest brightness specs.

Given the number of posts here regarding a washed out image, I figured that would be the case for me as well. However, I'm having the opposite. I'm noticing a lot of saturation and what appears to be black crush - everything looks really harsh and I don't like how it looks.

I tweaked all my tv picture settings but couldn't resolve the problem. The only thing that helped was changing the HDMI black level on my TV to normal (which doesn't really make sense).

Anyone else experiencing this?

Hwoar

I quite like the HDR so far. Already very noticeable for me on the main menu window.

Also i'm happy that in general the game looks really good. (didn't really play the remastered yet before)

Rbk_3

I think the Rtings info is outdated. They fixed this in a later firmware; Auto should pretty much always be used. In the testing that I did, Native DRASTICALLY over-saturates color on SDR content, while on HDR content it dulls colors a bit.

AVS member King Richard is really knowledgable about this and has written several FAQs, so I trust his opinion on the matter:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...00-ks8500-owners-thread-181.html#post47369793

Except when you watch HDR in movie mode, it kicks to the HDR picture settings and the defaults are 20 backlights and Color Space is Native

I just played a few sections at my friends house on his lg c6. Damn it looks good. Any scene with fire, or a window with light shining through looks crazy.

dr_rus

Wait the screenshots currently can't take HDR screenshots too?

Not without running a tone mapping pass which will shrink the HDR data into the usual LDR storage. This is quite similar to what photography HDR is doing, and I'm still puzzled why people keep saying that you can't get a pretty accurate representation of HDR image on an LDR display - you can, when you make a photo of HDR TV with a "HDR+" mode of your smartphone for example, you get a pretty accurate representation. What's missing is the contrast ratio and some color detail but it's not critical to actually seeing the benefits. Actually, this thread proves it.

Problem is that if you want to make a screenshot of a HDR game to view it later on a HDR TV/monitor exactly like it was taken - you're out of luck as JPG/PNG can't store the deep color information. Basically a JPG/PNG capture of a HDR game is an LDR capture.

Another problem is that in an ideal world such picture should be viewable on both HDR and LDR displays and that means that either the format or the viewer must perform a runtime tone mapping pass when showing the image on an LDR screen. And by "viewer" here I mostly mean Web browser.

We're still in the very early days of HDR, a lot of stuff is either missing or not working properly.

androvsky

Not without running a tone mapping pass which will shrink the HDR data into the usual LDR storage. This is quite similar to what photography HDR is doing, and I'm still puzzled why people keep saying that you can't get a pretty accurate representation of HDR image on an LDR display - you can, when you make a photo of HDR TV with a "HDR+" mode of your smartphone for example, you get a pretty accurate representation. What's missing is the contrast ratio and some color detail but it's not critical to actually seeing the benefits. Actually, this thread proves it.

Problem is that if you want to make a screenshot of a HDR game to view it later on a HDR TV/monitor exactly like it was taken - you're out of luck as JPG/PNG can't store the deep color information. Basically a JPG/PNG capture of a HDR game is an LDR capture.

Another problem is that in an ideal world such picture should be viewable on both HDR and LDR displays and that means that either the format or the viewer must perform a runtime tone mapping pass when showing the image on an LDR screen. And by "viewer" here I mostly mean Web browser.

We're still in the very early days of HDR, a lot of stuff is either missing or not working properly.
That doesn't sound right. Taking a picture with a smartphone even with HDR+ on would just be doing the same job as the game engine was originally before HDR TVs, mapping the wide dynamic range to a narrower one. The smartphone just uses a different, more subtle algorithm. What the HDR TVs are doing is giving us something closer to the scene before a game engine or smartphone does the tonemap, and the missing contrast is vital to that.

We need OpenEXR capture support on the PS4. :)

NeoBob688

Are there any graphical improvements in 1080p/60FPS mode, e.g., highest quality shadows or improved anti-aliasing (edge smoothing)?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This thread is making me want to take the plunge on a new TV during the Holidays. My parents said they would even chip in so I could get an nice OLED if really tempted to. Damn I was trying to hold on till after CES to see what kind of TV's were announced but... hmm...

Dantooine

Banned
This is ridiculous. Sony must be laughing all the way to the bank with this crap. There's virtually no difference. And, what little difference there is is neither better or worse. Has it really come to this?

It's was a great looking game on PS3 and is still a great looking game on PS4, regardless.

This is ridiculous. Sony must be laughing all the way to the bank with this crap. There's virtually no difference. And, what little difference there is is neither better or worse. Has it really come to this?

It's was a great looking game on PS3 and is still a great looking game on PS4, regardless.

woah woah woah ....u check your eyes? there is a difference, shit even watching movies with HDR 4k looks good ....

Ahh I was trying to find differences last night after work but I couldn't personally see them myself. Then again, I just got out of the Bill's trap and in the bar so there isn't too much lighting going on outside the windows. Was too tired to progress through the game. Also, only have an 8bit panel so it isn't true HDR.

From what I did notice, game does look more natural. I prefer it over the HDR off option.

also is there a way to get rid of this stupid film grain crap or is it just my tv.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

are serious right now?

Ahh I was trying to find differences last night after work but I couldn't personally see them myself. Then again, I just got out of the Bill's trap and in the bar so there isn't too much lighting going on outside the windows. Was too tired to progress through the game. Also, only have an 8bit panel so it isn't true HDR.

From what I did notice, game does look more natural. I prefer it over the HDR off option.

also is there a way to get rid of this stupid film grain crap or is it just my tv.

I noticed the film grain shows up on mine when I change the device source type to anything other than PC.

On my Samsung i can hit Tools on the Input when I bring up the source menu and change it to PC. that disables all post processing done by the display

III-V

I noticed the film grain shows up on mine when I change the device source type to anything other than PC.

On my Samsung i can hit Tools on the Input when I bring up the source menu and change it to PC. that disables all post processing done by the display

How did you 2 get film grain effect?

spwolf

i would guess that 8bit panel TV will try to simulate HDR... so it will be different because game is doing it differently but it is not actually showing 10bit colors plus it is not high brightness screen so it is different but does not have to be better.

Maybe when Pro is released, look it over at some demo station and see how different it is from your setup? And let us know :)

I am thinking of possibly buying new TV but only content available right now is going to be games... very little movies and shows are going to be available in HDR in near future.

spwolf

No idea, never seen it on my TV before. It only shows up when I enable HDR in TLOU, but even when I go back to the ps4 menu/XMB the grain is still there and doesn't leave until I turn HDR off

if i had to guess, something is wrong with TV's HDR conversion to 8bit.

III-V

No idea, never seen it on my TV before. It only shows up when I enable HDR in TLOU, but even when I go back to the ps4 menu/XMB the grain is still there and doesn't leave until I turn HDR off

I haven't noticed this at all. What TV and are you outside of game mode?

This is ridiculous. Sony must be laughing all the way to the bank with this crap. There's virtually no difference. And, what little difference there is is neither better or worse.

woo good one. had me for a moment.

Top Bottom