• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us - Review Thread [Emargo up, scores in OP.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
The point of me posting it is that none of the other reviews say its 90% pewpew.
Watch the Rev3 review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEs33aWkX2Q

It is a review. One of Sweden biggest papers. It is sort of a tabloid though.

Thanks, I will watch it!

Why not try the demo, or pick it up at redbox and give it a spin?

Because, if you fear that this game is once again a generic 3rd person shooter with PEW PEW PEW, take cover, cinematic, PEW, PEW, PEW, take cover, cinematic

Than you might potentially be missing out on a great game...and who wants to do that?

Just saying :)

Yeah this is a good point :) I'll probably get it eventually just for being able to go back and say (hopefully) how wrong I was.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
GUYS DO NOT GO TO THE GAMETRAILERS VIDEO REVIEW...

THE COMMENTS ARE REVEALING THE ENDING.
It's always weird to me how someone can be enough of a fan to acquire and even complete the game before the street date, but then turn around and want to ruin the experience for everyone else.

driver116

It's always weird to me how someone can be enough of a fan to acquire and even complete the game before the street date, but then turn around and want to ruin the experience for everyone else.

I remember the actual GameTrailers review for Uncharted 2 which had a massive spoiler in it
(finding out Flynn betrays you)
. Stopped using GT after that. Oh and all the horrible users in the forums.

OwlyKnees

I doubt that's the case. Sure, I think plenty of people do have the game, but I typically find it is those that have not played the game that will spoil it for others.

The ending details were leaked a good few weeks back.

You lot need to back away and just wait for the game now. You're bound to have some cheeky person spoil it. Leave the reviews and wait to play the game and judge it yourself.

In the meantime,I shall wait for the spoiler thread to open *sigh*.

THIS REALLY PISSES ME OFF. Even though it shouldn't. I don't care that tLoU didn't score higher than GTA IV, but the fact that Uncharted 2, Bioshock, Batman Arkham Asylum, Mario Galaxy are in it's shadow is A FUCKING TRAVESTY. GTA IV is pure SHIT.

I don't even.

Lets not go overboard here, I'd express my opinion about that, but that's reserved for another thread. This thread has turned into rage central, that's the real travesty here.

Pachimari

what difficulty were you playing on>?

Normal. But I haven't completed it yet so it could change. Currently I just don't feel like I lack any bullets but maybe it have to do with the (so far) great checkpoint system knowing that I will just "respawn". :)

Toxi

Banned
Question about the game for those who have it: Are there any enemy types besides human scavengers, 28 Days Later zombies, and clickers? If it's a spoiler, is it possible to pm me so that the other people in this thread don't see it?

I like when games have lots of enemy variety, and while the clicker design is really cool and the scavengers will have some variety with melee and ranged weapons, I was hoping that Naughty Dog would include a few more variants of the fungus zombie idea.

Thanks.

Pachimari

Question about the game for those who have it: Are there any enemy types besides human scavengers, 28 Days Later zombies, and clickers? If it's a spoiler, is it possible to pm me so that the other people in this thread don't see it?

I like when games have lots of enemy variety, and while the clicker design is really cool and the scavengers will have some variety with melee and ranged weapons, I was hoping that Naughty Dog would include a few more variants of the fungus zombie idea.

Thanks.

Have sent you a PM.

DatDude

Banned
Normal. But I haven't completed it yet so it could change. Currently I just don't feel like I lack any bullets but maybe it have to do with the (so far) great checkpoint system knowing that I will just "respawn". :)

From what I understand Hard really lessens your bullet amount, and the objects you can craft in the world...and I imagine survivor even more so.

Speaking of survivor mode is it unlocked straight from the get go, or do you have to finish the game to acquire it?

Also, could you talk about the pacing of the game so far? It never feels like it's being stretch thin in certain parts? Is it sort of like Uncharted where you feel your constantly on the go, always feeling "hooked", never really wanting to stop, but having to stop because you have to go to bed kind of hooked?

Doesnt sound the LEAST bit exciting to me. But I see that this is a particularly negative review and probably should be taken with a grain of salf. I am glad for all the clarifications, but honestly, it does still sound like a boring shooter to me. Guess its just not for me, and as I said, I AM glad that you guys get what you want from it.

OH COME ON? We've already made assessments that it is NOT A SHOOTER what part of that do you NOT UNDERSTAND? Please tell me you are trolling because that's just terrible reading comprehension right there. Here you are referring to a tabloid of all the reviews that says 90% is all about shooting = SHOOTER. Well I've got something that will blow your damn mind, remember the original Resident Evil? The SURVIVAL-HORROR one? Yeah, 95% OF THAT GAME IS ABOUT SHOOTING ZOMBIES. Does that make it a shooter? I'm starting to suspect that you are driveby trolling to derail this thread.

Superflat

Mmm, I think I remember reading from Patrick Klepek's review that you really feel the lack of bullets early in the game, but the second half didn't give him many situations where he was hurting for more ammo. For that reason he suggested starting on a harder difficulty from the outset if you want more of a survival experience.

I rarely start games on a hard difficulty but I'm really considering it with this one. That and with no listening mode, wonder how many times I'll end up dead.

DatDude

Banned
Mmm, I think I remember reading from Patrick Klepek's review that you really feel the lack of bullets early in the game, but the second half didn't give him many situations where he was hurting for more ammo. For that reason he suggested starting on a harder difficulty from the outset if you want more of a survival experience.

I rarely start games on a hard difficulty but I'm really considering it with this one. That and with no listening mode, wonder how many times I'll end up dead.

Same. Really wish someone could tell me if Survivor is unlocked from the get go or not though.

I really want to have a playthrough where I feel like I'm actually trying to survive for my life, making every single bullet count...hopefully hard will do it.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
OH COME ON? We've already made assessments that it is NOT A SHOOTER what part of that do you NOT UNDERSTAND? Please tell me you are trolling because that's just terrible reading comprehension right there. Here you are referring to a tabloid of all the reviews that says 90% is all about shooting = SHOOTER. Well I've got something that will blow your damn mind, remember the original Resident Evil? The SURVIVAL-HORROR one? Yeah, 95% OF THAT GAME IS ABOUT SHOOTING ZOMBIES. Does that make it a shooter? I'm starting to suspect that you are driveby trolling to derail this thread.

Look, I used one quote that says its a shooter to support the claim. I have not played the game, and I do believe you and others when you says that it does play differently (even though it doesnt look that way from the footage I have seen). I have no interest in trolling this game or this thread, but I was/am genuinly interested in what people find so exciting about this game that for me looks like a shooter. I will however take your (and others) word for it when you say that it is more than that, and I will, as I already wrote, probably also get it to make up my own opinion of it. No need to be mad :)

Edit: Am watching the review from Rev3 right now btw.

Amir0x

Banned
I was lucky enough to read it without really fully comprehending what I just read.

Now I'm just trying to erase the few fragments that still remain :(

People really need to learn one of the golden rule of the internet:

Whatever game you're anticipating, never, ever go online and read any comments in any article, video or news post about said game. Always going to end poorly :(

qc5ELgv.png

Still funny.

DatDude

Banned
People really need to learn one of the golden rule of the internet:

Whatever game you're anticipating, never, ever go online and read any comments in any article, video or news post about said game. Always going to end poorly :(

That's the most shittiest thing. When a game is about to be released, an anticipated game mind you, you want to be absorbed in it. You want to re-watch all the trailers, the gameplay clips, read all the comments that share your hype on these videos, and go to forums to discuss about this game your anticipating so much.

I need to learn how to go on media blackout..but I don't have much of a life, so this is mostly my core entertainment for now :(

Edit: Am watching the review from Rev3 right now btw.

Tell me if your opinion changed or not :)

Any reviews get into specifics about the OST? Sort of a minor thing, but I'm hoping it lives up to the few snippets I've heard. Sounded very promising. And I love the theme.
The only review I've read (Eurogamer) spends a couple of words on it, if I rememeber it right, they say it's great, fits the atmosphere of the game and has a nice country vibe to it.

Pachimari

From what I understand Hard really lessens your bullet amount, and the objects you can craft in the world...and I imagine survivor even more so.

Speaking of survivor mode is it unlocked straight from the get go, or do you have to finish the game to acquire it?

Also, could you talk about the pacing of the game so far? It never feels like it's being stretch thin in certain parts? Is it sort of like Uncharted where you feel your constantly on the go, always feeling "hooked", never really wanting to stop, but having to stop because you have to go to bed kind of hooked?
Yeah, I'll go through it on Hard and Survival afterward.

Well, it does feel like you are constantly on the go (but not in the same hooked kind of way like Uncharted were you are always presented with huge set-pieces) but even though the environments aren't that interesting so far, I still see myself stop up and just look at the different small details in the world, it's beautiful. Though it's a slow-pace game as you are constantly looking for loot and because of the pace he is walking/running at which is great.

Well, I'm 6 hours in and have 16 bullets in one gun, 8 in another and sometimes I can't pick up more ammo cause it's 'full'. Maybe it's just now but I have had few situations were I needed bullets, especially one where the guy were on another level and I had to use freaking bricks and think creative haha.

Pachimari

Same. Really wish someone could tell me if Survivor is unlocked from the get go or not though.

I really want to have a playthrough where I feel like I'm actually trying to survive for my life, making every single bullet count...hopefully hard will do it.

Survivor is not unlocked from the get go. You have to complete it on another difficulty the first time.

Gattsu25

Banned
Looks like a game to be avoided, based on the polygon review.

Seriously, though...I don't think I've ever seen so many 100%s before.

DatDude

Banned
Any reviews get into specifics about the OST? Sort of a minor thing, but I'm hoping it lives up to the few snippets I've heard. Sounded very promising. And I love the theme.

Most seem to love it.

Eurogamer exert:

These sections offer a chance to drink in the game's striking sights and its potent atmosphere of peaceful desolation - which is given ample room to breathe by the extremely sparing use of music. (The score is by the Argentine composer Gustavo Santaolalla, who won an Oscar for Brokeback Mountain, and is wonderful: sparse, elegant and sad, with a noticeable country twang.)

OwlyKnees

Yeah, I'll go through it on Hard and Survival afterward.

Well, it does feel like you are constantly on the go (but not in the same hooked kind of way like Uncharted were you are always presented with huge set-pieces) but even though the environments aren't that interesting so far, I still see myself stop up and just look at the different small details in the world, it's beautiful. Though it's a slow-pace game as you are constantly looking for loot and because of the pace he is walking/running at which is great.

Well, I'm 6 hours in and have 16 bullets in one gun, 8 in another and sometimes I can't pick up more ammo cause it's 'full'. Maybe it's just now but I have had few situations were I needed bullets, especially one where the guy were on another level and I had to use freaking bricks and think creative haha.

Please, for the love of God, could you confirm or deny the having to 'unlock survival difficulty' question?

I appreciate all your feedback, but you continually overlook this question but answer all others.

Angst

I'm exposing myself to as little information as possible as TLOU, so this has probably already been posted:

Aftonbladet.se give TLOU 2/5, says all other reviewers speaks some kind of Orwellian opposite language.

Edit - link removed

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Survivor is not unlocked from the get go. You have to complete it on another difficulty the first time.

I'm starting to wonder if these difficulty decisions are the devs or the pubs.

Disappointed, but expected. Hard for moi.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Just saw this over at n4gs comment section and was wondering what folks here think?

"Where is it written reviews = opinions? When did that abomination mutate and crawl out of the bowels of journalism?

If that is what you believe then you are wrong or you are 5. Once upon a time this was not the tact of game writers nor should it be the case now.

Reviews were never meant to be merely an opinion and it is high time the gaming demographic and these writers remember this fact. If you cannot remove yourself and your bank account from a review then you need your pen taken away from you and you need to be stabbed in the eye with it.

Reviews are not just opinions and therefore as a reviewer you are not entitled to just your own when writing a review.

Copies of the game are sent to sites with the expectation and trust they will set aside their personal views and make an objective assessment of the material.

This means even if you do not like shooters you will consider the likes and dislikes of the demographic and weigh the pros and cons of the game accordingly. After all it is they for whom you are reviewing the game. You will not write ridiculous statements such as "The game is too violent" when the game is indeed about surviving at all costs. An almost primitive fight for survival with few resources is of course going to be violent.

Apparently Polygon is oblivious to the obvious. Here is another hint for Polygon. Do not go to strip clubs if you do not like tits.

When you ask people to visit your site to trust your reviews you have a duty and an obligation to offer them impartial assessments. Otherwise in stating you have a review that is in fact an opinion you are merely a liar. You might as well call your site "What Bob Likes" and then you can slip quickly into the anonymity you deserve."

The fact this site was funded by Microsoft and masquerades as journalists is ever as distasteful as the Gerstmann incident.

This is the sacred trust the press has with the public. To always be honest and report the truth. If you cannot do that then you are not a journalist and therefore do not deserve to be held in the same regard with the same respect or privledges awarded the press. You are simply some opinionated blogger and as such you deserve the disdain reserved for egotistical bloggers whose sense of self importance infringes upon the ever more scarce talent for reporting the facts.

Polygon also has no Editor in Chief. No steady mature hand that steers opinionated reviewers back onto course. Without that guiding hand the ship will hit the rocks whether it was by accident or because the boat was on course for the nearest bank/Bank."

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I think you are spot on there. Maybe the language could've been toned down to get the message across. Overall: 8/10

Not my comment, but just was reading through what folks responses was there and that one happened to catch my eye.

I dont have a n4g account as really dont got much to say on things there as I usually read everything here first anyways lol

Vagabundo

Polygon causing shit as usual. I literally lol'd out loud when I read 7.5.

I'm all for dissenting opinions in reviews, but you damn well better be able to back it up with something coherent.

Mush

I start skimming through the thread and a minor plot point is spoiled by a screengrab of the blurb on Metacritic. Fantastic.

Between this and Game of Thrones, I don't know why I bother using the internet anymore.

lastqf.jpg

I'm one lucky gamer :p
Indeed you are. Please tell me the Network Pass bit is just a sticker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom