• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us - Review Thread [Emargo up, scores in OP.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artex

Banned
HHHGGGGNNNNHHHH! I want the Post-Pandemic Edition but its $160 and I know its going to drop down in price later in the year but I need to the game on release! @_@
Unfortunately I don't think that will be the case. The Post Pandemic edition is *actually* limited edition. Its already fetching $400 on E-Bay.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A gaming review is an opinion.

The very premise of this quote is flawed.

He does have something of a point (although it's more stating the obvious) in that reviewers shouldn't allow personal biases to get in the way of critical analysis; for example, you wouldn't want somebody rubbishing a strategy game simply because it's a strategy game.

lastqf.jpg

I'm one lucky gamer :p

If this game wasn't coming out right after E3 I wouldn't be so jealous, I just want to play the best current gen game before I fully embrace next gen.

Good for you though man enjoy it!

How I really feel:
http://youtu.be/KgUj-WaJ1TM?t=55s

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but I had a back and forth with Marcus Beer and some other guy on twitter regarding the polygon review and he said something along the lines of the game having technical issues that only the polygon review mentioned. He also said that people should question all the other reviews instead of polygon's even though he doesn't agree with the score being so low.

What the fuck, that sounds absolutely terrible!
Why would Naughty Dog do that? Isn't this supposed to be a more "realistic" take on such games? I mean, the game is going out of its way to present its over-the-top combat sequences are brutal and realistic and then just randomly ignores all that when it comes to head shots.

We don't really know what he's talking about, walkthroughs and first hand demo experiences contradict this.

Kabuto

qc5ELgv.png

Still funny.

haha

Did I mention that Joel isn't terribly good with guns? Naughty Dog has given Joel's aim a semi-realistic shakiness which, when mixed with the erratic movement of the infected, makes keeping enemies at bay a serious — and not terribly entertaining — challenge. Eventual upgrades allow Joel to hold his aim slightly better, but the annoyance never disappeared.

This part of the review literally made me shake my head.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but I had a back and forth with Marcus Beer and some other guy on twitter regarding the polygon review and he said something along the lines of the game having technical issues that only the polygon review mentioned. He also said that people should question all the other reviews instead of polygon's even though he doesn't agree with the score being so low.

Adam Sessler points it out in his review.

DatDude

Banned

So sony has money hated 53 other reviewers from not mentioning the technical issues? Damn.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
A gaming review is an opinion.

The very premise of this quote is flawed.

So is it still considered an "opinion" when with said establishment is known to have accepted money from a competitor? Its a bit hard to consider it true to the point "opinion" when you have a situation like that, since this isnt a tweet from someones personal account. This is an actual review written up and posted on a website that is also a business, therefore things need to be taken a bit further than being considered just an "opinion" piece.

Typing any more would just be repeating the originally quoted post from N4G. And really do not see how you were unable to understand what was being said in said quote as its not that complex of a problem that has been going on for a while now in gaming "journalism".

DatDude

Banned
What the fuck, that sounds absolutely terrible!
Why would Naughty Dog do that? Isn't this supposed to be a more "realistic" take on such games? I mean, the game is going out of its way to present its over-the-top combat sequences are brutal and realistic and then just randomly ignores all that when it comes to head shots.

Arne himself confirmed that regardless of the difficulty you choose that it's one bullet for a head, 2 bullets for the solider enemies (1 to knock off there helmet, another for the head)

Kabuto

I can see many people not liking the targeting, while a bunch of others will like it. It can go both ways.

Didn't have a problem in the demo. I read most of that thread and don't remember anyone complaining. (Not saying there were no complaints but the majority of people didn't seem to have a problem).

derExperte

So sony has money hated 53 other reviewers from not mentioning the technical issues? Damn.

Reviews have been notoriously bad this gen when it comes to pointing out technical problems. I could be wrong and am too lazy to re-read them all but afair many glossed over the audio-sync issues of GoW:Ascension for example. And almost nobody noticed the terrible controls of U3 before GAF made a ruckus.

sTeLioSco

Banned
Doesn't matter, it's not a thing everyone will like about the game.

then they shouldn't buy it....

like someone that doesn't like gears,it doesn't buy it

And a reviewer that doesn't like a game/genre doesn't review it.is that simple enough for you?

a cod fan doesn't care for a Persona4 10/10.but the review isn't for them.is for the ones that like the genre/game.

Pranay

Well if you guys have seen the adam sessler review , their is a scene where he kills with a a single head shot.

Arne has confirmed as well

I can't think of an example where I've enjoyed having my aim artificially gimped.

You have to upgrade joel stats.

Aiming gets better once you improve the stats i think

TylerD

I hope Sony turns it into a huge IP.

Why? One seemingly amazing game and done then have Naughty Dog move on would be best IMO. I'm sure TLOU will sell very well and people will be playing TLOU 3 in 6 years though. Being a glorious 1 and done would mean a lot more and keeps it special.

sonicmj1

And a reviewer that doesn't like a game/genre doesn't review it.is that simple enough for you?

a cod fan doesn't care for a Persona4 10/10.but the review isn't for them.is for the ones that like the genre/game.

"If you like this game, you'll like this game," has to be the most useless sort of review there is.

sTeLioSco

Banned
Looks like they were already hyping up the edge review on youtube ads so I would say most definitely, I hope they have a big hype machine/marketing push for this game in the next week.

Honestly people that don't even play games are blown away by the TV spots, I hope Sony turns it into a huge IP.

yeah the biggest it gets the more ridiculous polygon will look.

lets hope sony has some sense and doesn't sent them a review copy for The last of us2 on ps4....... ;)

"If you like this game, you'll like this game," has to be the most useless sort of review there is.

genre/game. survival-game is different than uncharted.news at 11.

How can anyone be sure they don't like the implementation of some of TLoU's mechanics? It's not out yet, nor is it a previously established series. Impressions are positive enough for people to give the game a chance, while having reservations about some of the mechanics.

I might not like it, but I'm going to find out for myself. You're just being obtuse.

Sethos

Banned

These issues must be severe when 40-50 reviews don't mention them or just lightly touch on the subject yet score it high.

Why? One seemingly amazing game and done then have Naughty Dog move on would be best IMO. I'm sure TLOU will sell very well and people will be playing TLOU 3 in 6 years though. Being a glorious 1 and done would mean a lot more and keeps it special.

You know its funny in pretty much any other situation I would agree with you but when it comes to Naughty Dog if this is just their first attempt at this universe I want to see them go crazy with it next generation, or at least come out with a new IP that sticks to mature themes, that would be a good way to go too.

Pachimari

Didn't have a problem in the demo. I read most of that thread and don't remember anyone complaining. (Not saying there were no complaints but the majority of people didn't seem to have a problem).

Well it's not bad at all. I got frustrated in the start but grew to like it. But I can see why some would dislike it.

Just saw this over at n4gs comment section and was wondering what folks here think?

The same nonsense spouted by every gutless, sniveling wretch who has to lash out in primal fear of choking back tears every time they are presented with the opinions of others.

In these people's minds, a review should be a value judgement created by reducing the qualities of an experience down to binary quanta relegated by a bureaucracy so rigid that it would not only be possible but preferable for a computer to automatically produce a review. These people want every element of an individual to be purged from the evaluation process such that they are simply an assembly line operator whose only job is quality control.

"Next up, our The Last of Us review, Inspected by 23."

You see this garbage all the time, regardless of whether or not a particular site are known/suspected shills. It's two separate issues, or really two separate agendas.

Gattsu25

Banned
Do I think polygon is an ethically compromised site? Yes
Do I think the reviewer should have realized that s/he was reviewing a game that de-emphasizes shooting as if it were a shooter? Yes

Do I agree with the original quote's central argument that a game review should strive to be objective (not really) and ultimately that reviews are not opinions? Fuck no!

DatDude

Banned
You know its funny in pretty much any other situation I would agree with you but when it comes to Naughty Dog if this is just their first attempt at this universe I want to see them go crazy with it next generation, or at least come out with a new IP that sticks to mature themes, that would be a good way to go too.

The only way I would want Naughty Dog to tackle sequels for this game is to start each time fresh.

Keep the same post apocalyptic environment, but with a new cast of characters, with there own unique stories of struggles and triumphs. An like Uncharted 2, keep building upon what you've done with the 1st and just learn and grow.

These issues must be severe when 40-50 reviews don't mention them or just lightly touch on the subject yet score it high.

Skyrim PS3. Look, I don't like Polygon and I'm excited as fuck for TLOU, but let's not pretend reviews aren't just dogshit 95% of the time just because a game we like is getting good scores. Fuck that shit. Game breaking issues are KNOWN to get past these guys.

but anyway, I really doubt anything as bad as what I mentioned above is in TLOU, haha.

Psykotik

i haven't been reading up what the PSN version is like on the US side, but in asia, we're able to preload the game in advance.

xMp.jpg

yMp.jpg

Haven't bought a console game in forever, but I might actually get this after my finals.

O wait, no I won't.

You can get it new for $65-70 AUS from eBay sellers or elsewhere online. I don't understand who in their right mind would pay ridiculous Australian retail prices for games when there are a vast amount of online alternatives to choose from. It doesn't even involve looking that hard to find them.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You can get it new for $65-70 AUS from eBay sellers or elsewhere online. I don't understand who in their right mind would pay ridiculous Australian retail prices for games when you don't have to. It doesn't even involve looking that hard to find them.

Video Ezy has it for $51, though I assume they'll be imported UK/EU copies, in which case there'll be a bit of a wait. Locally you're looking at $78 (Big W and perhaps the likes of JB HiFi and DSE).

Edit: I didn't realise the game had been rated R.

Enco

Haven't been following this much but damn I'm excited now.

I have seen pretty much nothing outside of the initial trailer so I should be set for a fresh experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom