• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Sales Exceed 3.4 Million Units Worldwide (PR)

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
That's pretty awesome.

Fastest Selling New Software Title in the History of PlayStation(R)3, and Fastest Selling PlayStation(R)3 Title of 2013

TOKYO, July 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today announced that the global sales of The Last of Us(TM) exceeded 3.4 million units(*1) as of July 3rd. This remarkable sales figure was achieved in less than 3 weeks since the global launch on June 14(th) . The PlayStation(R)3 (PS3(R)) exclusive title -- released to universal critical acclaim -- has surpassed all sales expectations to become the fastest-selling PS3 title of 2013(*2) .

The Last of Us delivers an evocative journey of survival in a world radically transformed, twenty years after a virulent pandemic of the cordyceps fungus has ravaged the human population. The rich story provides a realistic experience that explores the depths of humanity through main characters Joel and Ellie. Their journey is rife with emotionally charged moments as the narrative centers on themes of survival, loyalty, love and redemption.

"These sales figures are a testament to the blockbuster quality of The Last of Us," said Shuhei Yoshida, President of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios. "The teams at Naughty Dog are true visionaries and their storytelling capabilities are second to none, this title is an undisputed demonstration of that. SCE continues to be committed to delivering unique gameplay experiences that redefine the interactive entertainment industry and The Last of Us is a perfect example."

*1 Including both Blu-ray(TM) disc sell-in number and download version
*2 As of July 3(rd)

Mieu

PS3 is doomed!!!!!!

Yeah, | have to agree Auto_aim1. This is just awesome of ND. Can't wait for their next title.

Cade

Insane numbers. Good for Sony and good for Naughty Dog. I haven't gotten the chance to play it but it sounds well-deserved.

Tagg9

Hurray! I can see the game having some serious legs. It'll at least crack 6 million by the end of the year.

Seems like the first PS3 exclusive game getting this level of boost (EDIT: LOL! It somewhat says that in the first line) Its always COD, Halo or Gears getting these PRs with millions attached to it.

Well deserved. Great game, great advertisement, great sale.

With God of War seemingly fading a way, it seems that their biggest sellers are now Gran Turismo, Uncharted, and the Last of Us.

Maybe the ps4's launch window can elevate Killzone and Infamous to similar levels.

JOE APPROVES.

tumblr_le14ih2YRn1qcnhhzo1_500.gif

Massively deserved, but even that is a bit of an understatement. Well done to all the team at Naughty Dog.

JABEE

With God of War seemingly fading a way, it seems that their biggest sellers are now Gran Turismo, Uncharted, and the Last of Us.

Maybe the ps4's launch window can elevate Killzone and Infamous to similar levels.

I don't understand this at all. How is God of War fading away? Didn't III and the Collections sell a lot?

Also, The Last of Us deserves its success. Brilliant game.

That was sarcasm, I think.

Yeah, I guess I should be clear because you always run the risk of being misunderstood: I was being facetious and referring to the infamous Tomb Raider not meeting projections news. 3.4 million sales is pretty impressive IMO, especially considering we're dealing with an exclusive that is also a new IP. (Granted, from an acclaimed developer and with a lot of marketing muscle behind it.)

Anyway, I've heard plenty of good things about The Last of Us and I'm curious to try it myself, hopefully it'll match the praise and sales it garnered when I play it. (Or alternatively, hopefully it will, at least, not suck.)

Replicant

Hurray! I can see the game having some serious legs. It'll at least crack 6 million by the end of the year.

If that happens, EA would have been jelly since that's the kind of number they're hoping to see from the sales of Dead Space 3.
mXpQc97.gif

Top Bottom