• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us set photos (HBO)

Jormatar

These leaks have shown a lot of nods to scenes from the first game. Gotta love the commitment. We are finally getting a proper movie adaption for a video game, aren't we?

Man, took them long enough.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Still on the fence about the casting, but time will tell with movie magic, lighting, post processing, etc..

Last edited:

kyliethicc

These leaks have shown a lot of nods to scenes from the first game. Gotta love the commitment. We are finally getting a proper movie adaption for a video game, aren't we?

Yeah it’s probably because the show runners are the director of the game and another talented show director who loves the game. Of course they have the budget and resources, but they also have the right directors. Druckmann isn’t gonna let his own adaptation of his own game suck lol.

LQX

The fact HBO is behind this sort of already pulled me in, but the latest set pictures and videos have me all the way in. Can't wait.

realcool

This was a fun little cutscene in-game but when you're staying real close to the source material in a format that's more static what separates this from the thousands of car crashes we see in TV/ Movies?
This was the introduction of the Hunters to the players and, I assume, this will be the introduction of the Hunters to the HBO viewers as well.

Bartski

Gold Member
:messenger_astonished: :messenger_astonished: :messenger_astonished:

q0ep2u3jfd491.jpg

Easy to make an adaptation of a game when that game is based on hundreds of adaptations of your run-of-the-mill "infection outbreak, world has gone to shit, find cure" schticks. Hell, if you told me that twitter clip from the set was a new season of The Walking Dead I'd believe it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Easy to make an adaptation of a game when that game is based on hundreds of adaptations of your run-of-the-mill "infection outbreak, world has gone to shit, find cure" schticks. Hell, if you told me that twitter clip from the set was a new season of The Walking Dead I'd believe it.

This is a VERY bad comment. At this point......nothing new is original. It's not about what you do, but how it's done.

It'll get touched up lol... The budget is 5x that of walking dead, and AMC doesn't have anywhere near the same quality of in house staff that HBO does

This is a VERY bad comment. At this point......nothing new is original. It's not about what you do, but how it's done.
I was framing my response more on the "we are finally getting a proper adaptation" angle rather than the originality aspect of the other person's comment. I think most people would agree a sci-fi epic like Halo or a medieval fantasy with magic and monsters like The Witcher are much harder to adapt on a one-to-one basis than a zombie/infection apocalypse setting.

It'll get touched up lol... The budget is 5x that of walking dead, and AMC doesn't have anywhere near the same quality of in house staff that HBO does
The budget isn't an issue when it comes to these types of adaptations, its all about vision. Season one of The Walking Dead is still one of the best experiences I had watching a TV show of any kind. Once Frank Darabont was fired after season one, the quality took a nose dive. The amount of money poured into a project doesn't entice me one way or another.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I was framing my response more on the "we are finally getting a proper adaptation" angle rather than the originality aspect of the other person's comment. I think most people would agree a sci-fi epic like Halo or a medieval fantasy with magic and monsters like The Witcher are much harder to adapt on a one-to-one basis than a zombie/infection apocalypse setting.

I think I disagree with you here. But at least I understand where you were going.

The budget isn't an issue when it comes to these types of adaptations, its all about vision. Season one of The Walking Dead is still one of the best experiences I had watching a TV show of any kind. Once Frank Darabont was fired after season one, the quality took a nose dive. The amount of money poured into a project doesn't entice me one way or another.
Druckmann is actively involved in the show.... He worked on the adaptation writing, is involved in the overall production of the show, and directed an episode, far cry from his involvement in something like the uncharted movie

Craig mazin also adapted chernobyl from the book voices of chernobyl from my understanding, so he has shown that he can do this, and in spectacular manner.

I'd have next to zero faith if this was picked up by say, Netflix, but I'd be stunned if hbo misses, unless they plan on outpacing the games

Top Bottom