• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us set photos (HBO)

Viewing those clips, I'm cautiously optimistic. Worst case scenario it ends up like Paramount's Halo, which isn't too bad, but it isn't quite too good either.

Viewing those clips, I'm cautiously optimistic. Worst case scenario it ends up like Paramount's Halo, which isn't too bad, but it isn't quite too good either.
With the talent involved in this I can't see how this can flop... specially since it has some people involved in HBO's Chernobyl show.

Imagine a TLOU show with that vibe, cinematography, editing, with the same guy that did the game's soundtrack on board as well etc... basically everything I heard so far is promising.

From everything being developed based on videogames this is the one project I'm most hyped about.

Last edited:
With the talent involved in this I can't see how this can flop... specially since it has some people involved in HBO's Chernobyl show.

Imagine a TLOU show with that vibe, cinematography, editing, with the same guy that did the game's soundtrack on board as well etc... basically everything I heard so far is promising.

From everything being developed based on videogames this is the one project I'm most hyped about.
Just like with Halo, it's not the art team or directors I'm worried about anymore. It's the writers.

Javthusiast

Banned
I trust your avatar selections.
bro hug GIF

MHubert

I will reserve my judgement for the final product because I know a lot can happen with camerawork and post-production, but honestly this looks really bad. The sets look like the apocalypse happened a few weeks ago and doesnt do the beautiful environments of the games any justice.

FunkMiller

I will reserve my judgement for the final product because I know a lot can happen with camerawork and post-production, but honestly this looks really bad. The sets look like the apocalypse happened a few weeks ago and doesnt do the beautiful environments of the games any justice.

They'll add all the overgrowth in post, I'd imagine.

Yoboman

I get what you mean. Maybe they'll do the greenery with CG.

Feels like they are totally overlooking a big part of the style right now

Those vehicles wouldn't look like that if the apocalypse had happened even 4 years ago.
That said a lot of that is added in post production anyway

MHubert

You can't use a set's look as a basis anymore. I'm honestly surprised they did any type of non-CG work at all considering how long companies have been doing CG environments lately.

I know how this works, but what worries me is that usually you would compose scenes like that with a green screen, or more recently with stuff like stagecraft, and not a in a full on set like in the stage snippets due to how the lighting works. I hope to be proven wrong though.
this is like looking a pre-alpha footage of a game and complaint doesn't look finished
Im sorry if I came off as complaining. I very much look forward to this series.

SLB1904

Banned

Im sorry if I came off as complaining. I very much look forward to this series.
I get what you mean. But yeah a lot of post processing will be add in to it. Game of thrones was the same. If you look on YouTube they turn sunshine into overcast weather and so on

Repeating the same story seems so unnecessary and boring. What a missed opportunity to expand the game's worlds, specially now that we can scan actors and capture their performance so that they could be introduced on future games.

There isn't anything particular special about the first game story once translates to a TV series, it was special as a video game.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Repeating the same story seems so unnecessary and boring. What a missed opportunity to expand the game's worlds, specially now that we can scan actors and capture their performance so that they could be introduced on future games.

There isn't anything particular special about the first game story once translates to a TV series, it was special as a video game.
Tell that to Halo fans lol.

Personally cant wait to see things realised, looks like they are having a decent crack at things. Id expect some changes and internet rage at the very least.

Last edited:

It's a story about survival. In the end people connected with the main characters...it wasn't about the virus. As long they have chemistry, a good script, etc...the show could be a hit.

This isn't a typical action / zombie show...

It's a story about survival. In the end people connected with the main characters...it wasn't about the virus. As long they have chemistry, a good script, etc...the show could be a hit.

This isn't a typical action / zombie show...
Isn't it? Every apocalypse/zombie game is about survival, even if you go back all the way back to Night of the Living Dead it still wasn't about the zombies.

I don't see anything in TLoU story that would set it apart as a series or any reason to think it would work better as a series instead of a video game. The Ellie being the cure is about as cliché as it can be, what really set TLoU apart was the masterful execution (for a video game).

Tell that to Halo fans lol.

Personally cant wait to see things realised, looks like they are having a decent crack at things. Id expect some changes and internet rage at the very least.
I don't know about Halo, from what I gathered it ignored the games, that's the opposite of what I'm asking for.

To me an expanded universe that connects to the games is a lot more interesting. Why would I want to watch the adaptation of the story as a series? What do I get from it that I haven't already got from the games? Why not a new story set in the same world?

Then again after so much disappointment I don't look forward to any adaptation anymore be it of a book, a game or anything else. It hardly ever lives up or suppresses to the original.

Last edited:
They're filming in Calgary... makes me think if something will appear in the background of some CameraStoreTV or DPReview video.

EDMIX

Turns out thats not even some set they made, its just modern day Detroit lol

I like how in the film RoboCop, their future depiction of that city ends up happening in real life lol

SSfox

Really love the first TLOU, but don't have any expectation for this show, as 99% of shows based of an already established IP usually end up being utter trash, as the recent Halo tv show already proved it.

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

Sounds exactly like Walking Dead
I never saw the ending of walking dead i got tired of it. But i wonder if the cure was found. I see a lot of similitudes but it is not the exact same. I wonder if we see bloatters and the explosive kind the shamblers. I am eager to see the end result. And if the acting is good because the acting on the game was stellar.

yurinka

Let's hope Sony shows a first look to the tv series in a small trailer or something tihs summer even if this isn't going to be released until next year.

Top Bottom