• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us trailer + preorder goodies + boxart + multiplayer confirmed

taizuke

I wonder if it'll have an instinct mode where you can see or sense enemies through walls. I'm thinking a feature like this would be available in all difficulty levels except for Crushing.

I know it wouldn't make sense given the realism the game is going for but if it doesn't have it it'll be really tense going through those sessions where there's a couple of enemies not knowing where they are. I think it would make it a better game (not using this feature) but what about those that will struggle with it cause then it's too difficult? After all the new Tomb Raider and Hitman have it. Seems like a feature stealth games have acquired lately.

Gorillaz

- story about Joel & Ellie begins and ends in TLOU no matter if they life or die. If a sequel to this game is provided, it will happen without Joel & Ellie.

Don't know how I feel about this. Especially how much they built up the relationship between the two. Conflicted if true.

I wonder if it'll have an instinct mode where you can see or sense enemies through walls. I'm thinking a feature like this would be available in all difficulty levels except for Crushing.

There really hasn't been any indication that somethihng like a survival instinct is in the game. They also seem to be taking the stealth element very seriously, so it'd be surprising if they incluyded a feature that just allowed you to see eneme locations before you entered a room.

Don't know how I feel about this. Especially how much they built up the relationship between the two. Conflicted if true.

Either Bruce or Neil hinted at that in an interview. They said that the game won't end on a cliffhanger. It's going to be a proper ending.

taizuke

There really hasn't been any indication that somethihng like a survival instinct is in the game. They also seem to be taking the stealth element very seriously, so it'd be surprising if they incluyded a feature that just allowed you to see eneme locations before you entered a room.

Isn't it the same with the new Tomb Raider? Showing off Instinct mode when previous trailers never hinted at it?

meta4

And there goes any hope I had of playing Ellie in the single player/possible sequel. Ah well.

Why not? I am sure they can create a sequel if both the characters survive or at least if Ellie survives and if she is a really popular character. I would not take what ND says now too seriously. The game can have have a self contained non cliff hanger ending and still involve them somehow in a sequel.

Isn't it the same with the new Tomb Raider? Showing off Instinct mode when previous trailers never hinted at it?

I hope not. That will just ruin the immersion and challenge. ND better not be putting that TR crap in this. I am curious if you can drag and hide bodies.

Gorillaz

And there goes any hope I had of playing Ellie in the single player/possible sequel. Ah well.

I honestly thought they would take that path, especially when they put up a good fight to have her on the cover showing up in the front over Joel.

It could work I guess, having each game be about someone different. Tho it would create a weird level of detachment from characters. Especially for people like ND who take pride in story telling.

You have a free punch-system in TLOU. It's like Fight Night. You can block punches from enemies whenever you want in a fight, no Quicktime.
Like I posted earlier, Quicktime Events are only presented in cutscenes. An actual example from the Game: Some enemie trashes you trough a window. Image gets blurry, Joel is looking for something to serve as a weapon. He sees a shard of glass from the window, a Quicktime Event prompts up and if you press at the right time, Joel would ram it down the enemies throat. This is how Quicktime Event works in TLOU.

Wow this sounds great if true. It finally sounds like ND is going to go for an actual gameplay system for hand to hand combat and not glorified QTE's. But how does dodging work then?

Also, it sounds like the QTE you are describing is the same kind of thing as when Drake was trying to free himself after getting stuck underwater and go above for air in U3.Those are the kinds of "QTE's" I dont mind at all. So good news all around. I thought you were talking about having QTE's in the actual story cut scenes a la RE4.

meta4

This is going to be the Resident Evil 4 of this gen. Get hype!
Do you mean in terms of critical acclaim since there are quite a few games this gen which have achieved that. If you are talking about horror it seems the tension that is evoked in TLOU seems way different than RE4. Eitherways I am hyped as well. Hope it delivers.

Is anyone planning to make a new thread on this info?

Stark

Banned
Why not? I am sure they can create a sequel if both the characters survive or at least if Ellie survives and if she is a really popular character. I would not take what ND says now too seriously. The game can have have a self contained non cliff hanger ending and still involve them somehow in a sequel.

That's definitely true. Nothing is set in stone and at least there's the multiplayer skins to look forward to. :p

It could work I guess, having each game be about someone different. Tho it would create a weird level of detachment from characters. Especially for people like ND who take pride in story telling.

I think my issue with it is, I want it to be pretty lengthy in terms of story then. If it goes by a quick 15 hours (at least to me that is quick :p), then it would just be a tad bit off to have a completely detached sequel.

Do you mean in terms of critical acclaim since there are quite a few games this gen which have achieved that. If you are talking about horror it seems the tension that is evoked in TLOU seems way different than RE4. Eitherways I am hyped as well. Hope it delivers.

Yeah, in terms of critical reception and overall quality. It’s shaping up to being the main game that this gen will be remembered for.

Yeah, in terms of critical reception and overall quality. It’s shaping up to being the main game that this gen will be remembered for.

I'd be happy if it really was the RE4 of this gen. Mostly because of the influence that RE4 ended up having on gaming. I'm a big fan of wide-linear games, so that's the first plus. But the biggest reason is for the possibility of persistent health returning. That really needs to become more common. Regen health will always be part of gaming, but persistent health shouldn't be as rare as it is currently.

Cyberia

"@Neil_Druckmann: @NaughtyGods It's some old info from a GI podcast we did a year ago. Some of the points in that thread are false though (QTE cutscenes???)."

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
"@Neil_Druckmann: @NaughtyGods It's some old info from a GI podcast we did a year ago. Some of the points in that thread are false though (QTE cutscenes???)."

I smell a ban. and thanks god no QTE cutscenes!

<3 ND

Kind of glad that info is false. Really wish devs would move away from QTEs as much as possible, especially ND. Basically if there is a piece of glass you should be able to pick it up and use it, not have to wait for some arbitrary prompt.

meta4

I still think it'll be a better stealth game than the last Splinter Cell. The improved AI alone will probably pull it off :p

Yup. This is the kind of AI that should have been demonstrated in a SC game or at least attempted. A shame really... Lets hope that just like how everyone is copying Uncharted now hopefully they start copying TLOU if it turns out to be a success.

Quite impressive.
Thank you very much for this conformation Mr. Druckmann and also big thanks @Cyberia for posting this tweet.

There's a misunderstanding on my part. The "cutscene" I described was actual Gameplay, which is incredible. My source described it and was also certain that it was a cutscene. But yeah, never underestimate ND talent. They are BOSS.

The scene I described takes place immediately after this trailer:

TheLastOfUs.jpg

After crashing into the building in the trailer, the following action what happened was delivered in screenshots:

gallery_5_6_263861.png

And after that, a presentator showed gameplay behind closed doors of what happened with these two characters. That is the scene I described with the QTE prompt to ram it trough the enemies throat. That scene is in the Game and QTEs are also going to showing up, 100%. The free punch-system info is also true.

But yeah, ND delivered that scene like a fluid film and after knowing now that it wasn't a cutscene... Hype level increased :)

I remember a lot of people after the E3 Gamplay questioned the fluidity and ND had to make a statement to assure that it's not scripted.

Of course I'm sorry for delivering this false info. I'm really sorry for that, especially to ND.

I'm going through every info again with my source and the German GamePro Magazine in respect to everyone and I'm going to call out the infos which are questionable.

I really dont think anyone is going to believe you anymore sorry.
Hey Loudninja. If I would be here to post something all people aren't going to believe, then I would be posting schocking news.

I have a Gaming Magazine in my hands right now from February 2012, it's called PS3M (Germany). They visited Naughty Dog in Santa Monica in January to write a preview for their mag and they said at this time, among other things, that Joel AND Ellie are playable characters in the game and we are going to controlling them alternately. Which is of course not true... so yeah, everyone misinterprate somewhere in their lives.

But that's what we have this really respectable community here at GAF, which I am very thankfull for, because among other things, we got a new info from ND out of this: No QTEs in cutscenes.

I have very high hopes for this game. Every news ever delivered from ND, Websites or Mags are saved in my head. No matter if it was in Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, USA or the UK, I read them all. This is where my enthusiasm to deliver this Infos coming from and I also met someone from the Video game journalism branche, which I know is a controversal topic.

So yeah, going after Mr. Druckmann's Twitter Post, I would say the 2 Infos: "you can interact with doors" and "you can only kill the clickers if you shoot them with guns" are misinterpreted. What I actually know about doors are, that you can shut them to knock on the enemies head, so the door is served as a weapon.

And about the clickers, I was told that you have to even shoot them in the head to kill them. So maybe, that is why you can also set traps. Maybe you just have to make sure, that they are not running after you, by blowing their feets away, like shown in the story trailer.

The other Infos posted here I am confident that these are not false. But of course, under these circumstances it's the best if you guys read them all as a rumor. I think the devs have better things to do, as to confirm informations.

Yeah. I have a lot of other infos I wanted to let go off my chest about the game. Take these as a Rumor, so no one is going to be harmed :) And of course again, i apologize.

RUMOR:

- US-Marines are also enemies you have to fight with. But unlike the plunders, they are not scared if you have a gun and they are going to confront and flank you. If that happens, there's no chance you're going to win. /No shooter

- Joels past is going to roll up through monologues and dialogues with Ellie as the game progresses.

- US military is searching for Ellie, that's why Joel flees with her to Pittsburgh.

- you can break downed opponents jaws off with kicks on their heads.

- you can see teeths floating on heavy combat.

- one of among other inspirations for TLOU is "Y: The Last Man"

- you can use a board as a protective shield.

Quite impressive.
Thank you very much for this conformation Mr. Druckmann and also big thanks @Cyberia for posting this tweet.

There's a misunderstanding on my part. The "cutscene" I described was actual Gameplay, which is incredible. My source described it and was also certain that it was a cutscene. But yeah, never underestimate ND talent. They are BOSS.

The scene I described takes place immediately after this trailer:

TheLastOfUs.jpg

After crashing into the building in the trailer, the following action what happened was delivered in screenshots:

gallery_5_6_263861.png

And after that, a presentator showed gameplay behind closed doors of what happened with these two characters. That is the scene I described with the QTE prompt to ram it trough the enemies throat. That scene is in the Game and QTEs are also going to showing up, 100%. The free punch-system info is also true.

But yeah, ND delivered that scene like a fluid film and after knowing now that it wasn't a cutscene... Hype level increased :)

I remember a lot of people after the E3 Gamplay questioned the fluidity and ND had to make a statement to assure that it's not scripted.

Of course I'm sorry for delivering this false info. I'm really sorry for that, especially to ND.

I'm going through every info again with my source and the German GamePro Magazine in respect to everyone and I'm going to call out the infos which are questionable.

I believe him.

I've finished the game already.
Wasn't bad at all.

You know I was kidding right?

Anyway, how can people get so wound up over this?
Just ignore everything and play the game when it's out. Otherwise, you're just ruining the experience for yourself.

Now I know, thanks for the laugh :p

I actually don't know when I'm going to play this game. I had to sell my PS3 on April 2012. I'm in the process to be state qualified on my job and shool cost a lot of money. Had to pay my bills with the PS3 and my game collection. And the only game I'm looking forward is TLOU. So yeah, I have to absurb as much infos as I can. So I thought, why not share it with other people here. Most people are anyway on a media blackout :)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
But now I'm back to not knowing if the game has a quickturn (I want this so bad) and shoulder switching.

:(

Thank God no QTE cutscenes. Bullet dodged
They pre-render their cutscenes, so QTE are not even possible. But it will have "gameplay" QTE instead. Come on son, it's still a Naughty Dog game after all. QTE are bound to be in it somewhere ^^

But now I'm back to not knowing if the game has a quickturn (I want this so bad) and shoulder switching.
Relax, if they are serious about their claims, these features are a must. At least shoulder switching is probably a given (I hope).

I am so excited for this game. I can't wait to use me PS3 for something other than Blu-Ray. Last game I played was Uncharted 3. This and Beyond Two Souls are going to be epic pieces of gaming goodness.

sappyday

RUMOR:

- US-Marines are also enemies you have to fight with. But unlike the plunders, they are not scared if you have a gun and they are going to confront and flank you. If that happens, there's no chance you're going to win. /No shooter

- Joels past is going to roll up through monologues and dialogues with Ellie as the game progresses.

- US military is searching for Ellie, that's why Joel flees with her to Pittsburgh.

- you can break downed opponents jaws off with kicks on their heads.

- you can see teeths floating on heavy combat.

- one of among other inspirations for TLOU is "Y: The Last Man"

- you can use a board as a protective shield.

All this sounds really cool especially fighting the marines. Whether this is true or not, I still want it in the game.

I'm pretty sure it does just by judging the extended gameplay trailer. It makes sense to have it in this type of game.

Top Bottom