• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us wins over 200 Game of the Year awards!

Started playing this a few days ago, finally.

From the first four hours, I can say this game is truly head and shoulders above anything else I've played on he PS3.
Extremely well deserved, there's no-one out there that can touch Naughty Dog right now.
Make sure to replay it on survivor difficulty. ND games really shine on the hardest modes.

Azull

Naughty Gods indeed. Well deserved I say, one of my most memorable games this gen. (Tied with uncharted 2),

sakata1

Neo Member
My 60gb launch ps3 constantly shuts off every hour when playing TLOU.

If there is a PS4 version then I will definitely buy.

Wasn't my game of the year (that title belongs to Super Mario 3D World), but my god did it have the best story in gaming. It was refreshing to see a decently written narrative for once. I can definitely see why the Last of Us won so many awards.

Well, when one game deserves this price, then it`s The Last of Us! Nobody believed they could do such a game after the very good but not deep Uncharted Games and they delivered! I think it was the only game of the generation where the hype has met the actual game!

But i know that it has at least one more GOTY Award from OnPSX.de. I don`t know if a link is ok or not^^

Vizzeh

Banned
This doesn't make sense. Picking a game which has over 200 game of the year awards already isn't playing it safe?

Do you follow IGN and their audience?

- For reference, I'll Reiterate, TloU "isnt" Playing it safe. Under IGN's target audience/Usual COD catering (ofc that wouldnt be GOTY) So im happy that a major outlet is supporting a PSexclusive, that deserves it.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Last of Us is the undisputed GOTY.

image.php

MGS 4 won goty, and now I see many posts about how it's stupid and shitty and the worst MGS.

I wasn't on GAF back then, but I'm kind of amazed at that still. I mean, from memory 2008 was a pretty strong year (Dead Space, Gears 2, Mirror's Edge, Burnout Paradise, GTA4) and yet a game as divisive as MGS4 was voted #1 by the notoriously hard to please crowd on here. Fair enough, but very unexpected.

oti

Banned
I hope Microsoft sees that as some sort of challenge to release something of this scope themselves (not developing it, but funding a riskier project and pushing it with all their marketing strength). They haven't given me any reason to believe they`re capable of doing this, but I hope they'll prove me wrong some day.

More of those kind of games, better for all of us and video games.

-

I hope Quantum Break could be it, but who knows. Could be great, could be ok.

Theecliff

Banned
I still don't know whether I should buy a copy for my PS3 or just wait for a possible PS4 version.

Anyway, congratulations to Naughty Dog! Hopefully one day in the future I will try your game out.

Deimo5

- For reference, I'll Reiterate, TloU "isnt" Playing it safe. Under IGN's target audience/Usual COD catering (ofc that wouldnt be GOTY) So im happy that a major outlet is supporting a PSexclusive, that deserves it.

For reference, they picked Journey as their GOTY in 2012 too

The Last of Us will get backlash eventually. Games that blend gameplay and an in depth narrative always do.
Silent Hill 2 didn't receive any backslash... It's still considered a classic and it has much more simplistic gameplay than TLOU. However, imagine that being released today: the omg-so-terrible-gameplay-it's-a-movie-not-a-game by the haters would be unbearable...

Make sure to replay it on survivor difficulty. ND games really shine on the hardest modes.
This. Playing on Survivor right now and it's a blast. Taking away the listening mode makes this game so much better, I have to prepare a little more before every encounter.

This game is soooo good.

I'd suggest looking back at their previous game of the year awards before applauding their brave choice of critical darling Last of Us as 2013 game of the year.

myca77

If a PS4 version comes out I'll definitely give it a try.

Thing is of the two people who I know personally that have played this, neither of them rated it; their opinions I trust and we have fairly similar tastes in games.

As a question, will this feel as good for someone who didn't really get on with the Uncharted games?

I bet Sony are happy with this. They have another massive Playstation exclusive franchise now.

When the sequel hits on PS4, it is gonna be epic in every kind of way.

Vizzeh

Banned
Too bad we'll never get a PS4 version because of PSNow...

Still hoping, though.

Yeah me too. Id pay nearly full price for it. Probably full price for some minor upgrades, textures/1080p/solid frame rate.

it deserves more than the PSnow treatment, id rather NO latency delay.

If a PS4 version comes out I'll definitely give it a try.

Thing is of the two people who I know personally that have played this, neither of them rated it; their opinions I trust and we have fairly similar tastes in games.

As a question, will this feel as good for someone who didn't really get on with the Uncharted games?

It should if you know how to play third person shooters.

Vizzeh

Banned
I'd suggest looking back at their previous game of the year awards before applauding their brave choice of critical darling Last of Us as 2013 game of the year.

It doesnt matter to me? You dont have to get defensive. I wasnt saying they are incapable of it. I simply said it was more satisfying TLoU getting it with their general target audience, is there a problem with that? Thats my opinion

Rozart

Holy crap! Congrats, Naughty Dog! And to win that many GOTY awards in such a competitive year as well! Very well deserved!

I didn't even realise there were that many Game of the Year awards being awarded, makes the whole idea of awards seem so insignificant.

Sendou

I think I'll finally play this. A kind person let me borrow his copy. I would have gotten around playing it earlier but Uncharted 2 kind of burned me off and I didn't want to buy it. Here's hoping it lives up to the reputation!

I thought this was going to get real ugly for a second...but glad Chake didn't take the bait :p

After replaying the game couple of times, you get to see how it's basically uncharted with few tweaks. Nevetheless, it's alright.

If this game is just alright, can you tell me what's good then?

He is not allowed to think its alright?

Of course he is. I just would like to know what he thinks is good. Am I not allowed to ask?

Usually asking something like that more often than not is just an argument trap where the asker then shits on/disregards whatever the original poster thought was better so they can dismissed his opinions.

I'm just hoping that isnt gonna happen.

An 'argument trap'? What we can't debate these things now?

I wonder how many goty awards GTA 5 ended up winning? I was like 99.99% certain that that would take every award, but I guess I was wrong.

Top Bottom