• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us wins over 200 Game of the Year awards!

Thrakier

You act like re4 doesnt have you play to reach cutscenes. Tlou doesnt even have that many and the few that are in the game are done really well, but that isn't where all the character development and fun happens.

Yes, but the gameplay is much more enjoyable. TLOU is only great in concept but lacks the execution, esepcially because of the bad framerate.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Very well deserved. Easily one of the top contenders for the GOTG as well imo. Such a great game, will replay again on PS4. ;P

Totally robbed at the VGX.

This only further establishes that.

Did GTAV even win any other GOTY awards, but that one?

according to the same site, 126 Game of the year awards. Both of the games deserve as much praise as possible. really loved both of them (bioshock infinite, mario 3d world too, but they didn't win as much awards =( )

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Congrats Naughty Dog, well deserved. It was my #2 but only because I spent more hours with Dragon's Crown. The Last of Us is definitely one of the best games of the generation and is a shining example of a cinematic game done right.

After replaying the game couple of times, you get to see how it's basically uncharted with few tweaks. Nevetheless, it's alright.
What a bunch of bollocks. It plays nothing like Uncharted. Joke post?

ku-xlarge.gif

Obligatory.
Can't believe it took that long. :)

Exactly. Being so real is why I found him irritating. This is a video game, even in most suspenseful enviroments, the protagonist must be lovable and full of life
Uhhh why? Don't agree with this at all. I'd rather have a variety of protagonists, some of which are lovable, others which are cynical and bitter people, others who are haughty and sarcastic, etc. I don't like playing a completely unredeemable asshole, mind you, so I'd hate playing the GTA protagonists, but I can see why someone would want that every now and then. Joel is a well-rounded character. Selfish and brutally cold at times, but still empathetic and I was on his side pretty much the whole time.

, like in Leon S Kennedy (ok, he might not full of life but he's deifnitely nothing like Joel).
Indeed, and that's a good thing. Leon Kennedy is boring as hell. No personality, no charm or wit, terrible cringeworthy lines... yeeesh.

Games need more fun and one dimensional characters, I use them to get away from boring three dimensional real world.
What a weird thing to say, considering the vast majority of protagonists are one-dimensional... you bitch when finally there's one who isn't? Wow. I think I've seen everything...
Not to mention, one-dimensional characters are boring to many of us, and we find well-rounded, well-written, believable multidimensional characters to be far more compelling and interesting.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Yes, but the gameplay is much more enjoyable. TLOU is only great in concept but lacks the execution, esepcially because of the bad framerate.

I can't comment on the "bad" framerate, because I didn't find it to be horrid. I can say that Resident EVIL 4's gameplay is more enjoyable, but by a tad. There are some real awesome bits in the Last of Us, that I don't see people mentioning.

falling for Bill's trap, and shooting enemies while hanging upside down
the boss fight between Ellie and David, in fact anything involving Ellie and David
Joel getting impaled, and shooting enemies while trying to stay alive
being in a tunnel full of DOZENS of infected

the game is a LOT harder than Resident Evil 4, and although I miss the smooth shooting mechanics of RE4, the Last of us is a stronger game.

There are parts I can do without, like swimming, and horseback riding, But if I can get through a whole section with 1 smoke bomb and a shiv, it's all the more rewarding.

Okamid3n

It's a very well-made game, and although I really dislike these types of games, TLoU is an exception.

One of the things I most liked was the attention to the environments. The little details everywhere when exploring people's houses and other abandoned areas were great. The characters were also really well-written and endearing becuase of how deeply flawed they were.

On the other hand, the story/plot was nothing special, save for the ending sequence. It was just 10 hours of
trying to find the fireflies by going from one unavoidable chest-high-covers encounter to another.
A very minimalistic story, which would have worked if you cut the number of fights in half. But then, the characters would've taken a hit and I loved them. I guess it's hard to balance, but I definitely wouldn't say the plot was good, just competent, if a little stretched out.

As for the gameplay itself, it was really well-executed. I don't like this kind of gameplay, but this was bearable for me. It got the job done. I feel like I've played the best "cinematic cover shooter with basic stealth" game now and I can safely avoid every other ones. It might come off as snarky, but I'm not saying that as a negative point towards the game, it's just my personal taste. Like I said, it was executed perfectly and did exactly what it was aiming to do.

I'd say the game deserves its awards just fine, but then, having 200+ GotY "awards" just goes to show how unimportant those awards are.

On the other hand, the story/plot was nothing special, save for the ending sequence. It was just 10 hours of trying to find the fireflies by going from one unavoidable chest-high-covers fight to another.

No it wasn't, much of the games combat was avoidable. And if you played it as a cover shooter then you did it wrong. Not even sure how you could attempt to describe the clicker gameplay that way

Okamid3n

No it wasn't, much of the games combat was avoidable. And if you played it as a cover shooter then you did it wrong. Not even sure how you could attempt to describe the clicker gameplay that way

I had edited my post to say "encounter" instead of "fight", because I know you can avoid the fights most of the time. The encounters themselves are what was unavoidable, which is what I meant. You just go from one area full of enemies to another and it seems purposeless, from a story-standpoint. It doesn't progress the story at all, but it does develop the characters. I get why they do it from a gameplay standpopint, though.

The point of what you quoted was not the gameplay, anyhow, so this is unimportant. I merely meant that the story didn't progress during these segments.

Personally, I don't really care what genre the game falls in, you can call it what you want. Call it a stealth game if you want, but I don't think that works either since the stealth is very basic and only the best option in the hardest difficulty.

EDIT: Thinking about it some more, I guess it's not that basic. Dedicated stealth games clearly have deeper stealth mechanics, but TLoU's stealth is usually good too, save for some questionable elements (like, for example, how ridiculously little noise Joel seems to make, considering enemies don't hear him choke people/jump down/etc.)

I should definitely have worded some of the things I said differently, though.

I had no desire to play TLOU to the end because of the boss encounters. They betrayed the promise of their own gameplay systems by not truly giving you an alternative to just pumping bullets into the sponge.

Hmmm why do I keep seeing tomb raider comparison? After playing tlou, TR felt off to me, didn't like the feel of the bow, the take downs etc...much prefer tlou heavy style reminded me of gears and re4.

Anyway nitpicking discussions IMO, these guys out a lot of work into the game, I think at the very least that can be agreed on. The story doesn't have to be the most brilliant, it was just believable and captured you from the opening scene. I think there's still many games that don't accomplish this or even try, so that's why the story is getting hyped so much, it's not being done enough to be overly critical of its flaws. Great game, as I get older i find games that don't draw me in with a story or at least some type of level progression I quickly get bored with...I like story driven games with good mechanics.

Well deseved.

I can understand some of the RE4 comparions due to the setting but I don't think they could be any more different. I think TLOU was the superior ride though..

The gameplay isn't even better than Tomb Raider.

I guess me playing it 5 times (thrice on survivor) and thoroughly enjoying myself every time was... due to the bad gameplay.....?. Yeah, that's it.

I'm SOOOOO tired of this argument. So tired. It's a rallying cry for those poor (few) people with whom the game didn't click (pun intended). Look.. I'm sorry... I'm sorry you couldn't enjoy this amazing game. Don't try to slag it through the mud though to justify your not liking it. Just let it go. Wasn't meant for you. Obviously though, the vast majority out there found something of some real substance in this game and that CANNOT be dismissed, overlooked, or brushed aside. The Last of US is a gem.. maybe not your favourite rock, and maybe not a perfect gem, but perhaps you can appreciate the beauty others see in it gameplay wise, story wise and the whole-as-a-sum-of-it's-parts wise.

harmonize

Undisputed masterpiece.

Even if you personally did not enjoy it, it is your duty as a gamer to acknowledge this fact.
lol

Anyways, top three looks just as disappointing and undeserving as I thought it would; I really should take some time to play Brothers to see if earns the couple of GOTY accolades it received.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Part of what some of us like is when crafting...
shivs are used to open some locked doors that have more items, gears, pills, etc. You as the player look at your inventory and make a choice...use it on this locked door....hoping to be able to craft more or save my shiv in case I run into Clickers, etc. I think one time I wasnt able to craft more or choose to make my melee weapon stronger....had to do things a lil differently on my next encounter.

I seriously wonder if some ppl play on auto pilot, run n gun, easier modes and are forming their opinions. Having a different opinion is fine...some opinions just seems off when playing the game. Case in point:

I had no desire to play TLOU to the end because of the boss encounters. They betrayed the promise of their own gameplay systems by not truly giving you an alternative to just pumping bullets into the sponge.

And never a falser word was spoken.

I had to actually stop and think what boss encounters?
Maybe 1 - 2. But one of them .....guns isnt an option at all: Winter

About bullet sponges....there are times where if you dont kill the human...they will beg for their life. Thats not a sponge....unless sponges now can beg. Yea...weapon sway is an upgradable thing....which means head or precise shots will be harder...but they are so rewarding and isnt spongey.

I know opinions go both ways...cuz I dont claim its the greatest thing since sliced bread. I've been gaming since the Atari 2600 days...but its up there with some of my fav games of all time.

Top Bottom