• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Samurai is awesome innit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Freshmaker said:
Yeeeessssss... It is a movie. No rule says that the main character must be alive at the end of such a media format however.

No rule says that. It's kind of stupid to be surprised about such an occurrence, however.

Freshmaker said:
It's not surprising. It was just stupid.

Your complaint was about authenticity. The only thing stupid about any of this is the idea that Hollywood has ever given a shit about historical authenticity.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
WickedAngel said:
Your complaint was about authenticity. The only thing stupid about any of this is the idea that Hollywood has ever given a shit about historical authenticity.
Yeah, "LOL Hollywood!" contributes far more.

PSGames

Such a beautifully shot film, it boggles my mind how anyone could not like this movie:

d_samourai-04.jpg

d_samourai-05.jpg

d_samourai-06.jpg

d_samourai-07.jpg

d_samourai-08.jpg

d_samourai-09.jpg

d_samourai-10.jpg

d_samourai-11.jpg

d_samourai-12.jpg

d_samourai-13.jpg

d_samourai-14.jpg

Dead Man

WickedAngel said:
It contributes more than someone who is too ignorant to acknowledge it as standard practice.
This seems to be a popular argument on GAF lately. It just the way it is, so don't bitch about it, you can't change it.

It's a pretty weak argument.

Edit: A to the movie, it is probably my favourite Tom Cruise film, but I hate Tom Cruise in films! I think it would have been a better story without his character at all. Sure, there would then have been no transgressive romance angle, and a few of the cool scenes with the kid in the village would have been lost, but Watanabe's character could have been more developed, as could the other Samurai. It is a beautifully shot film though, and I watch it often.

I rate it above Dances with Wolves, it is almost the same movie, but I think it is a bit better with the cultural context of the story. Haven't seen Avatar to compare it yet. :D

idahoblue said:
This seems to be a popular argument on GAF lately. It just the way it is, so don't bitch about it, you can't change it.

It's a pretty weak argument.

It's pretty weak to assume that anyone that actually has the ability to change such things in the industry gives a shit about what some guy on a gaming forum thinks about anything.

Dead Man

WickedAngel said:
It's pretty weak to assume that anyone that actually has the ability to change such things in the industry gives a shit about what some guy on a gaming forum thinks about anything.
It is even weaker to assume that someone expects their comment to change anything. Who has said anything about being able to change anything? All I saw was a guy saying he wished it ended differently. Big fucking deal, why jump down his throat for that? You never commented about something you couldn't change?

idahoblue said:
It is even weaker to assume that someone expects their comment to change anything. Who has said anything about being able to change anything? All I saw was a guy saying he wished it ended differently. Big fucking deal, why jump down his throat for that? You never commented about something you couldn't change?

Should the thread have ended there where he made that statement? How is it wrong to point out the absurd generality of his statement in the context of the industry at large? Almost every single "historical" movie that has been a success in the industry has seen huge embellishment for the sake of entertainment.

Dead Man

WickedAngel said:
Should the thread have ended there where he made that statement? How is it wrong to point out the absurd generality of his statement in the context of the industry at large? Almost every single "historical" movie that has been a success in the industry has seen huge embellishment for the sake of entertainment.
No, it should not have ended there, but your argument became 'why bother talking about it, it won't change anything'. That's a pretty weak stance to take. It makes 99.9% of human conversation pointless according to you.

I can see why the character lived, I can see that TC and the producers would never have killed him off, but certainly can wish that wasn't the case.

Mobius 1

Witchfinder General said:
It's a shame that Shogun is a billion times better. Read the book then watch the series.

This. The Last Samurai is a bastardized version of Clavell's work.

Still love it, though. The samurai village is lovely, and the ninjas were outright spectacular. Plus Ken Watanabe rules.

PSGames

idahoblue said:
No, it should not have ended there, but your argument became 'why bother talking about it, it won't change anything'. That's a pretty weak stance to take. It makes 99.9% of human conversation pointless according to you.

I can see why the character lived, I can see that TC and the producers would never have killed him of, but certainly can wish that wasn't the case.

Tom Cruise has absolutely no problem with getting killed off. Have you seen Valkyrie?

Him staying alive was essential to the story. There had to be a survivor to express to the emperor the Samurai's wishes and what they died for.

Dead Man

PSGames said:
Tom Cruise has absolutely no problem with getting killed off. Have you seen Valkyrie?

Him staying alive was essential to the story. There had to be a survivor to express to the emperor the Samurai's wishes and what they died for.
I haven't seen Valkyrie, but the character he played DID die, so not much choice there. I think the translator could have been further developed, or even change the scene completely so the Emperor made the realisation based on the example of the Samurai, without needed to the rough westerner to help point it out. But I get it was a nice simple way to tie p the story.

I think the suspension of disbelief required to have him be the ONLY survivor is too much. Again, I see why they did it, I just wish they hadn't.

Man, fuck the cruise haters. I was expecting this film to suck because of all the movie dorks bitching but i thought it was fantastic.

Gatling guns :O

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
kazuo said:
Speaking as someone who studied history in college, "Gladiator" made my head hurt far more than "The Last Samurai."
Blackace said:
Actually I would say Pearl Harbor is one of the worst movies from a historal stand point.. but no need to split hairs.
Dabookerman said:
U-571 is actually the biggest criminal when it comes to worst historical movies.

Braveheart_imp.jpg

Historically speaking it's a travesty. At least Mel made it an awesome movie to compensate though.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
WickedAngel said:
Come on. It's not like butchering history is some new concept to Hollywood.

And other times when I am not as knowledgeable about the history of something it doesn't bother me. I am fairly sharp on many eras of history but I majored in the Meiji period. So yeah it bothered me. Doesn't mean it is a bad, horrible movie.

It's a personal thing.

Speevy

Banned
The biggest problem I had with The Last Samurai is that it's a pretty serious and important subject matter, but the film makes it seem trivial and simplistic.

Loxley

I like The Last Samurai for several reasons;

~ It's a genre that Hollywood barely ever touches, and as such it was great to see a big-budget samurai film on the big screen for once.
~ Ken Watanabe is undeniably likable and all sorts of badass in practically every role he plays, The Last Samurai is no exception.
~ The scene near the beginning when the we get the big reveal of the samurai when they come riding through the dark and foggy forest gives me chills to this day, it really is an incredible shot.
~ I think Tom Cruise did an excellent job, the movie was one of the last ones he did before 2005 came around and everyone wanted to hang him from the highest tree and he had to earn back the public's trust :p
~ Steven Seagal's little tantrum over Tom Cruise being cast as "the last samurai" instead of...Steven Seagal, is infinitely hilarious to me:

"I was raised in Japan. I was schooled in martial arts. I was given the title of master. They take a movie The Last Samurai. They have a five foot two inch little guy, whether he was straight or gay, I don't know. I don't care. He had never been to Japan. He doesn't speak Japanese. He has never held a sword. They make him the last samurai."

Steven Seagal. Man of sentence fragments.

I understand people ho-humming the film because of "typical Hollywood" making Whitey McWhiteguy the last one to survive not any of actual asian samurai, but overall I felt it was a very respectful depiction of that kind of lifestyle.

I don't want to get into pissing-contests about historical accuracy/inaccuracy, I just enjoyed the film, don't know what else to say :/

Solo

WrikaWrek said:
!?

Where. Aviator? Still a bitch. Gangs of new york? Still a bitch.

Blood Diamond baby.

Aviator and then just before Blood Diamond, The Departed. Also, unlike Blood Diamond, those 2 Scorsese movies are actually good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom