• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story |OT| Now confirmed worldwide

Zafir

Mine was shipped from Amazon too, delivery estimate is tomorrow. Don't think anyone is going to be in to collect it though. :x Hopefully a neighbour is in to take it.

kunonabi

It literally just arrived at my place and... it's beautiful.

byJDQ.png

Damn, that looks great. I love how each piece uses different art and they look great together. My LE shipped but I won't see it for like two weeks. Gives me time to knock out my backlog I suppose.

Phenomic

Well now that GAME is confirmed to not be stocking this game and I don't really feel like trusting HMV and Zavvi I guess I will wait for the North American launch.

Feel kind of obligated to now anyway. Sucks though having to wait until Summer, but I guess I should be grateful to get it over on this shoreline at all.

vag 2.0

so I have a wii that hasn't been used in a long time and has a bunch of softmod + emulation stuff on - will I be able to just buy this, put it in the drive & play or am I in for some messing around?

Peagles

Mine just dispatched from OZGameshop, should have it in about a week!

In other news, HMV is trying desperately to ship me the order I cancelled. What chumps! Lucky it's my old credit card on there and they couldn't take my money!

I can't believe I waited months for this game and hours before release I'm told I can't have it.
I'm so sad right now.....

F U GAME, hope you go out of business ASAP. Keep stocking Zumba while you keep sinking. The casuals will always be the 1st to jump ship.

jimi_dini

Amazon.co.uk are still "preparing my order". This started around 12 hours ago. What are they doing? Playing through the game?

Haunted

I do admit that LE is looking pretty sexy. Steelbook, soundtrack and artbook, none of that superfluous bullshit.

Was ordering from HMV a bad idea if I'm importing to the US? Since the Game fiasco I had to switch, looks like HMV already shipped it which seems awesome...

K444WSR

My LE was shipped this morning from Amazon. Hopefully I'll get it by the weekend. All the pics of people who have already got it is making me jealous lol. This and Pandora's Tower LE will sit very nicely next to Xenoblade LE.

To the people who have already got it, does the online work through CFG USB loader or is it best to play of the disc?

I hope NOE continues with their recent policy of LEs with future core-orientated games. Getting an artbook and a soundtrack with the next Zelda, Metroid or Fire Emblem would be just glorious.

Aeana

Does frame rate usually factor into graphics scores? The game makes me queasy because of how incredibly unstable it is.

wrowa

After having seen about an hour of the game so far, I've got to say that Last Story might not be the most impressive looking Wii game, but it's definitely the Wii game with the best presentation / highest production values. The characers are literally bubbling all the time, going through the introduction dungeon feels like playing a long cutscene because the story never stop being continued. There's also a huge amount of pretty neat cutscenes. And, really, everything's made really nicely. Even the menus and the tutorial screens are a pleasure to look at.

The gameplay to this point is very straight-forward, and I'm still missing a certain kind of "flow". Due to all of the cut-scenes the gameplays feels rather fragmened so far, but considering that I really only played the very beginning of the game yet this is to be expected. I hope this'll change soon, though.

Generally, I like how the game throws you into the action from the first minute. The game starts in the middle of a dungeon, and it doesn't pass a minute until the first fight. The battles show potential, but so far they've been really simple and due to the very limited move set of the main char not as much fun as I would like. It's interesting that every single fight was constructed so far, though. Every monster is carefully placed and the beginning of the fights are scripted. If it's that way the whole game it might make some very tactical and interesting battes possible; but it'd also mean that the game could become a little repetitive and confining in the long run.

Oh, and yes, the framerate is not very stable, sadly.

Phenomic

"7.5 Graphics
For the Wii, it’s super, but obviously it doesn’t compare that favourably to its peers on other platforms."

Yup, thats an IGN review alright

Is there any reason they cannot just compare it to other games on the hardware itself? I mean I don't see the legitimized point to lower a score of something because it doesn't look as good as a game on more powerful hardware. (Now I will add that this is what it seems like they have done, I guess I can't 100% guarantee it, but it seems rather telling)

Compare it to Super Mario Galaxy, Xenoblade or something else that has notable graphics on the system itself.

wrowa

How bad are we talking? Are we talking occasional slowdown like Xenoblade had during big attacks? Or is it more like a constant struggle?

It's much worse than in Xenoblade. The framerate is rather low during normal gameplay to begin with, and it quite frequently begins to stutter. This is especially noteable in the city. On pretty much every lively street the game runs rather slowly.

One gets used to it, I guess, but being in the city really feels like I'm playing a demanding PC game on a not so great PC.

Phenomic said:
Is there any reason they cannot just compare it to other games on the hardware itself? I mean I don't see the legitimized point to lower a score of something because it doesn't look as good as a game on more powerful hardware.
Why not? Why do graphic scores always have to be relative to the hardware? Why can't "today's standard" be the legitimate benchmark to rate a game?

Not saying that rating this way is the right thing, but I don't see why it shouldn't be a legitimate approach to graphics ratings.

ivysaur12

Banned
It's much worse than in Xenoblade. The framerate is rather low during normal gameplay to begin with, and it quite frequently begins to stutter. This is especially noteable in the city. On pretty much every lively street the game runs rather slowly.

One gets used to it, I guess, but being in the city really feels like I'm playing a demanding PC game on a not so great PC.

Why not? Why do graphic scores always have to be relative to the hardware? Why can't "today's standard" be the legitimate benchmark to rate a game?

Not saying that rating this way is the right thing, but I don't see why it shouldn't be a legitimate approach to graphics ratings.

So am I giving every 3DS game a 3/10 for graphics because they don't look like the HD Twins? You should judge a score based off of the capabilities of the hardware.

Haunted

A home console release in 2012 carries certain expectations with it.

7.5 is pretty generous as is, tbh.

I know ! I'm so glad this LE doesn't include anything useless like pineapples!
I'd rather have a hoop with a stick!

2San

IGN is doing their damn best to ignore PC gaming then. The resolution, framerate, lack of AA in most console games is offensive. Yet is never see them mention "today's" standard there.

Yuterald

My PAL LE import should arrive by the end of next week. Last Story and Binary Domain in the same week is pretty banging if I must say so. I don't give a fuck either about negative importer impressions. Walking around in that town alone with Tone of the Town playing is enough for me to get me hyped. Performance issues and possibly easy bone difficulty aside, the game looks and sounds cool to me. Pretty excited!

Phenomic

I think it's just because you could always have fault with the visuals of anything that isn't max settings and even to the point of just hypothetical stuff. (Example) Even on the current standard Ps3/360 console hardware I could say.... Well this is a 7.5 (C) in graphics because it's not as good as something in 2015 is going to look, or as good as a Black Edition I7/560 Nvidia PC can run. It's like opening the flood gates to a pissing match where you automatically add bias. Well X Game could be better looking or have better capabilities on X Hardware, so there for it's inferior.

You need some sort of standard peak comparison to be set of how things should be measured by, but really what is "Today's Standard" and how do you set that? (It's almost impossible to do because how do you know what that is until you just see it). If Nintendo is going to make a console that simply just cannot perform as highly as other systems, that's a personal choice; but that isn't to say that the hardware cannot make beautiful games for its own merits.

Just to pick on Xenoblade for a moment, game obviously isn't the visually the highest anyone has seen, but they spent a ton of time making gorgeous vistas and it shows off well. Why should I compare it to Final Fantasy 13's level of character graphics when that wasn't what they were going for, and they weren't able to achieve it because of a choice Nintendo made. Monolith can't exactly develop on the PS3/360 in this specific case.

...and maybe part of it is just how I rate things because I feel like it's justifiable and fair... I want to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

Hope that rant clarified some of my thoughts, but happy to try explain more if that was just gibberish. Also, I would like to note I have no issues with a reviewer or anyone saying something to the effect of: These backgrounds visuals are great and I can't wait to see something similar on better hardware.

ihasaflavour

Neo Member
Woke up to this f*ing fantastic news, from Operation Rainfall's Facebook page.

Totally made my day. Just goes to show people that companies DO listen to people who make enough noise! If anyone here is one of the fantastic people who thanked Nintendo for localizing Xenoblade, I thanks yous!!!

Dmax3901

Can't believe this came out yesterday here, completely slipped under my radar.

People who are playing it, how is it? I'm guessing it doesn't reach the lofty heights of Xenoblade, but is it still worthy?

No thanks to Syrenne!

I haven't settled into this game yet. The gameplay is interesting but I have no idea what I'm doing half the time -- and since you have quite a few options from the start (attack/draw out/use arrows/buff/revive/tank), not knowing what to do seems really dangerous. It's a good thing that the game gives you five lives (why? who knows) and that it seems mega easy so far. My options kind of don't matter because the game won't punish me for it. I have sucked as bad as one can suck and still had no problem finishing the fight.

The game dumps you into a dungeon without explaining who you or any of your allies are. There's no context for what you're doing and the characters have yet to pull me in any direction. The game seems like it has some good potential but I'm just not getting it yet. I'm only about 30-40 minutes in so that will change.

The game definitely doesn't have me at hello like Xenoblade did -- though it's almost unfair to compare the two. They're pretty different types of games. Last Story is a corridor action RPG while Xenoblade is an expansive game about exploring a huge land.

grumpy

Can't believe this came out yesterday here, completely slipped under my radar.

People who are playing it, how is it? I'm guessing it doesn't reach the lofty heights of Xenoblade, but is it still worthy?

~4 hours into the game and I can safely say that the only thing TLS has in common with Xenoblade is the introductory tutorial.
Both start by putting you in the middle of a battle to teach you the basics.
. A very different approach to combat that had me stop and reach for the manual quite a few times during the first hour :p

fernoca

Watched the introductory part on YouTube, and all I can say is that..is nearly identical to the beginning of Final Fantasy on NES. :)

Like...
You begin right in the middle of something/mission, defeat a few enemies on the way, then a boss, then a castle is involved, then the title appears on the screen.

Nice nod. :p

Top Bottom