• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story |OT| Now confirmed worldwide

Aeana

Watched the introductory part on YouTube, and all I can say is that..is nearly identical to the beginning of Final Fantasy on NES. :)

Like...
You begin right in the middle of something/mission, defeat a few enemies on the way, then a boss, then a castle is involved, then the title appears on the screen.

Nice nod. :p

That seems like a bit of a stretch... You start the beginning of Final Fantasy on the world map, you haven't even been to town yet or spoken to the king. Then you find that you need to go to the temple up north to beat some dude, so you do. The pacing of that is just typical pacing of RPGs of the era, it isn't really comparable to what happens in TLS, honestly.

fernoca

That seems like a bit of a stretch... You start the beginning of Final Fantasy on the world map, you haven't even been to town yet or spoken to the king. Then you find that you need to go to the temple up north to beat some dude, so you do. The pacing of that is just typical pacing of RPGs of the era, it isn't really comparable to what happens in TLS, honestly.
Still felt it like a nod to me. Maybe because I was quite little when I played FF back then; so it was the first thing I thought when I saw this. Haven't played it, don't know if it's the same feeling...in-game. :p

thefro

Still felt it like a nod to me. Maybe because I was quite little when I played FF back then; so it was the first thing I thought when I saw this. Haven't played it, don't know if it's the same feeling...in-game. :p

The appearance of the title is definitely a nod... I don't think the pacing is though.

Luigiv

Ganondorf? That sounds like another game you must be playing..

Huh, I'm pretty damn sure this is the right game. See, it even says The Last Story on the box.

pqpXt.jpg

Jokes aside, you'll understand my comment when you play the game yourself.

Maldoror

Here are 3 concept arts unveiled yesterday during Sakaguchi's conference in Paris. This is what The Last Story looked like before Nintendo asked the Gooch to lighten the tone of the game a little.
Back then, the game's title was "The Last World", and it was set in a futuristic universe.

4YcFD.jpg

VLC8S.jpg

lAAyq.jpg

Sorry if old.

http://i.imgur.com/0RELF.jpg

Amazon UK delivered this next day even tho I pick free postage !!

I pre-ordered with Amazon and went with free postage too, but haven't got mine yet... you lucky so and so.

Did the postman deliver it, or was it dropped off via a Royal Mail van?

Edit - I suppose I should have mentioned, I ordered for the Limited Edition, hence why I'm wondering whether it can simply be dropped through the letterbox or not. I don't really know how big the package is.

Boooo!!

I also ordered it from Amazon + free delivery. Still hasn't arrived yet and the post man has already finished his round. :(

Zavvi are waaay faster than Amazon! :p

thefro

Voice actor list from the game manual (credit "BeanBeanKingdom" on Gamefaqs)

Zael - Jack Ryder
Calista - Alix Wilton Regan
Yurick - Colin Ryan
Syrenne - Kelly Wenham
Mirania - Montserrat Lombard
Lowell - Derek Riddell
Asthar - Tom Goodman Hill
Therius - Daniel Curshen
Arganan - Peter De Jersey
Jirall - Blake Ritson
Zangurak - Nick Boulton
Zesha - Josh Cohen
Zepha - Antony Byrne
Outsider - Jo Wyatt
Ariela - Maria Darling
Warren - Lizzie Waterworth-Santo
Kentis - Antony Byrne
Horace - James Daniel Wilson
Meredith - Jo Wyatt
Zoran - Rupert Farley
Yurick's father - Tim Watson
Zael's mother - Louiza Patikas
Jeffery - John Voce
Narrator - Chris Fairbank
Lazulis Knight - Andy Buchan
Lazulis Guard - James Barriscale
Citizen - Nigel Pilkington
Sorceress - Maria Darling
Dagran - Nico Lennon

squall23

Here are 3 concept arts unveiled yesterday during Sakaguchi's conference in Paris. This is what The Last Story looked like before Nintendo asked the Gooch to lighten the tone of the game a little.
Back then, the game's title was "The Last World", and it was set in a futuristic universe.

4YcFD.jpg

VLC8S.jpg

lAAyq.jpg

Sorry if old.
Looks like Tasha was originally the protagonist.

Voice actor list from the game manual (credit "BeanBeanKingdom" on Gamefaqs)

Zael - Jack Ryder
Calista - Alix Wilton Regan
Yurick - Colin Ryan
Syrenne - Kelly Wenham
Mirania - Montserrat Lombard
Lowell - Derek Riddell
Asthar - Tom Goodman Hill
Therius - Daniel Curshen
Arganan - Peter De Jersey
Jirall - Blake Ritson
Zangurak - Nick Boulton
Zesha - Josh Cohen
Zepha - Antony Byrne
Outsider - Jo Wyatt
Ariela - Maria Darling
Warren - Lizzie Waterworth-Santo
Kentis - Antony Byrne
Horace - James Daniel Wilson
Meredith - Jo Wyatt
Zoran - Rupert Farley
Yurick's father - Tim Watson
Zael's mother - Louiza Patikas
Jeffery - John Voce
Narrator - Chris Fairbank
Lazulis Knight - Andy Buchan
Lazulis Guard - James Barriscale
Citizen - Nigel Pilkington
Sorceress - Maria Darling
Dagran - Nico Lennon

english voice actors fiesta a la Xenoblade?

that's great...first one is a uh guy from Eastenders I think

Just when I was convinced to buy the LE, no store has it. Bummer, but at least the Standard Edition was already reduced in price by 5€ since yesterday, haha.

Mael

english voice actors fiesta a la Xenoblade?

that's great...first one is a uh guy from Eastenders I think

Yeah 10min in the games and even I, who's not that good at picking up accents, can tell you that it's english VA all over the place...

I'm a bit bummed about the LE seriously it doesn't have the 3 posters and the special controller :p

So far (1rst town) it's very good, music is better in XB though.

kenji

4YcFD.jpg

VLC8S.jpg

lAAyq.jpg

Sorry if old.

Goog god, were those actual gameplay screens?

Mael

So jealous of you guys :(

Can't believe GAME pulled the plug the day before release.

They certainly didn't where I live!
Just to show how GAME can actually be good, while I was shopping Last Story there, some guy entered and searched for a specific game on Mac.
Well the guy at GAME told him he didn't have much and redirected him to Steam.

7threst

Man, I absolutely LOVE the voiceacting in this game! Xenoblade did that right already, and this game does it again! I used to be all for original Japanese voices but if the quality is like this I have no problem with English VA whatsoever!

They certainly didn't where I live!
Just to show how GAME can actually be good, while I was shopping Last Story there, some guy entered and searched for a specific game on Mac.
Well the guy at GAME told him he didn't have much and redirected him to Steam.

You bought Last Story at GAME? What country are you in?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Those concepts look surprisingly similar to what we got despite the core changes. I'm personally glad they went full fantasy instead of add the sci-fi bits. Maybe both are cliches but I don't like how FF type games mix futuristic guns and airships with every badass using swords and shit. As for the blood, that could have gone all wrong too, Dragon Age style. Oh well. Maybe a The Last Story 2 will take the Final Fantasy approach in that every story is different rather than a direct sequel and they can use some of the ideas.

Luigiv

Hmm, checking over the credits in the instruction manual, it appears the rumours of Treehouse handling the English localisation are false. All the English translators appear to be the usual NoE suspects. Still, playing the game, I think they're improving. The language used in this game is much more vibrant than Xenoblade.

Zomba13

I'm like 13ish hours in so far. Really liking this. Loving the characters and their VA.
<3 Syrenne so much.

Also, the way the general smiles in the talky bits makes him look like a real creeper.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Is there a way to start the game in hard mode without having to finish it first and without having super characters/gear already or anything else personalised? Download a cleared/edited save or something? I kinda wanna do that since people said it's too easy. Also, do you still get 5 lives in hard mode or does it remove that as well as have tougher enemies and stuff? Lives annoy me.

Mael

That's cool for you. Though if the main UK division of the company goes down the toilet I can't see the rest of the company surviving, they'd need to be sold on.

It's a franchise, meaning that it's mostly small shops using the same name rather than 1 big shop with multiple centers or something.
They can change name and franchise without much problem.
I worry more for the HQ's people jobs than for the individual retailers...
And even then if the local mainland franchise is viable they can flush the head office and keep going via spinoff or something (although the debts may prevent that).

Firemind

What well is Horace talking about? I only found one well in an alley behind his shop, but apparently that's not it. Fuck you, Horace!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Those concepts look surprisingly similar to what we got despite the core changes. I'm personally glad they went full fantasy instead of add the sci-fi bits. Maybe both are cliches but I don't like how FF type games mix futuristic guns and airships with every badass using swords and shit. As for the blood, that could have gone all wrong too, Dragon Age style. Oh well. Maybe a The Last Story 2 will take the Final Fantasy approach in that every story is different rather than a direct sequel and they can use some of the ideas.

The more I see of the full fantasy look the more I really like it

Firemind

Is there a way to start the game in hard mode without having to finish it first and without having super characters/gear already or anything else personalised? Download a cleared/edited save or something? I kinda wanna do that since people said it's too easy. Also, do you still get 5 lives in hard mode or does it remove that as well as have tougher enemies and stuff? Lives annoy me.

Changing auto attack to manual attack ups the difficulty, since apparently you do less damage with each consecutive blow when manual.

Top Bottom