• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story |OT| Now confirmed worldwide

Man, the intro section is such a rip-off of The Lord of The Rings :p
Tons of small goblin-like enemies all around and crawling down the walls. The sounds of war horns from the depths. The ogre like monster coming in through the wall. The hall with the tall collumns where a huge demon roams, a demon which you have to lure out onto a fragile bridge which is then destroyed, etc.
Still loving it, though :)

Hawkie

The banter with Syrenne is too funny. It's really surprising to find these stereotypes so well done and in a JRPG.

thefro

What well is Horace talking about? I only found one well in an alley behind his shop, but apparently that's not it. Fuck you, Horace!

I'm pretty sure it's marked on the map as an orange location, if I remember correctly from the Japanese version.

Apenheul

So I'm a couple of hours into the game and so far my impression is that it's a good but not great game.

+ The English VA is very nice, almost everything the main characters say throughout the game is voiced. Due to the nature of conversations in TLS (Fire Emblem style) it does feel like a typical 'voice over' if you know what I mean. They don't blend in the environment as well with as some other RPGs I've played this gen.
+ The battle system is really interesting for JRPG standards, much more interesting than Xenoblade anyway. Battles are quite tactical and so much fun that I usually repeat battles when allowed to. The use of the environment is very scripted but still it feels like you've discovered a secret tactic.
+ The graphics are generally really good, but sometimes the framerate collapses because there are so many details on screen and the lighting and everything is made to look like it's a PS3 game.

- The game/narrative is very linear. Additionally it's not always clear when a new scenario starts (a character will most likely ask of you 'are you ready?'). Usually when I finished a scenario/chapter I save & quit. So I'm playing this game in chunks of an hour or so.
- There's very little exploration in the game (so far). The town you start in that acts as a hub is very detailed and quite large though. It gave me serious Assassin's Creed vibes but it's mostly just decoration. The levels/scenario's so far are quite corridor-like.

So to summarize, I think it's definitely one of the better JRPGs on consoles this generation because of the great battle system, but it's no classic like I expect Xenoblade to become. Note that this is all based on less than 10 hours of playing.

warpaint

i have it sitting next to me, I've got the next two weeks off work so this is what i'm planning on playing for that time

Mr. Hyde

I am really liking this game so far. I am only about five hours into it but it has been more than what I was expecting. It's definitely a very streamlined action rpg which focuses on a straight forward story, character customization, and gameplay. I'm excited it turned out to be this way because I didn't get into Xenoblade much due to growing out of the open world rpg style. The Last Story feels like everything I do in it is to push the story forward and I am enjoying that immensely. I don't have time to invest one hundred or so hours into a game.

Zornica

Banned
I got a 12€ refund from sendit... Now I'm kinda worried because I can't find the reason for it. Has something like this ever happened to anyone here?

6 hours in, loving it.

It's very linear and there are many slowdowns in some places, but I really like the combat system, the characters, what I've seen about the story and the ability to accept optional chapters that provide new data on different characters (much like Mass Effect 2, btw).

Vrakanox

My order from 365 shipped out yesterday morning. Hopefully I will get it within a week. When I got Xenoblade from Game it didn't take very long.

Mr. Hyde

6 hours in, loving it.

It's very linear and there are many slowdowns in some places, but I really like the combat system, the characters, what I've seen about the story and the ability to accept optional chapters that provide new data on different characters (much like Mass Effect 2, btw).

Mass Effect 2 is the game that popped in my head while playing this. I loved ME2, so that's a good thing for me.

I hope NOE continues with their recent policy of LEs with future core-orientated games. Getting an artbook and a soundtrack with the next Zelda, Metroid or Fire Emblem would be just glorious.
In this case its due to such an edition already existing in Japan/mistwalker probably wanted it. Then again Red CC Pros didn't exist before Xenoblade EU release...well outside of counterfeit clones of course...

Bit off-topic now but as for Fire Emblem. Its weird, the first 7 games all have artbooks/infobooks of sorts but after that, nothing. The 5th game got a limited edition with some rather...interesting...items. 7th and 9th were sampler CDs (about 20 minutes playtime) with calenders packed in too (more of a pre-order gift).

Maybe Hyrule Historia points towards Nintendo wanting to get back into doing this sort of thing.

Back then, the game's title was "The Last World", and it was set in a futuristic universe.
Let the Mass Effect comparisons start? (given how some liken TLS to that)

Amazon UK delivered this next day even tho I pick free postage !!
Typical. I decided not to bother checking the mailroom today as I thought it could not have possibly arrived. Thankfully, they're open on a Saturday now...

In this case its due to such an edition already existing in Japan/mistwalker probably wanted it. Then again Red CC Pros didn't exist before Xenoblade EU release...well outside of counterfeit clones of course...

Pandora's Tower is getting an LE as well, and as far as I know, there wasn't one in Japan.

The LEs, plus things like letting us vote for our favourite alternative cover, are hopefully signs of NOE taking more and more into account the needs of us "core gamers", instead of only thinking about the mainstream consumer.

Aeana

I've been replaying the game and I'm appreciating it a bit more than I did the first time. It's not uncommon for my expectations to interfere with my enjoyment of games on the first time through, which is why I try to maintain a policy of every game getting a fair two tries. It doesn't help every time, but it has resulted in me falling in love with some games I hated the first time (like Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter). In this game's case, I think I went into it expecting something a little sprawling and free, and a totally different kind of battle system, so disappointments with both of those things, plus the poor framerate made my final opinion of the game a bit more sour than it should have been, I think.

I think the game still has loads of issues, but I'm definitely enjoying it for what it is a bit more this time. One thing that struck me just recently is how it succeeds at some of Infinite Undiscovery's failed promises, like with the "situation battles" (i.e. interesting encounter-specific designs involving the environments or other such things). Sadly, the framerate is still terrible and it still makes me queasy. :|

Finished it today, after 3 play sessions.

+ Lazulis city, back alleys <3
+ Combat
+ Many beautiful scenes
+ OST
+ Multiplayer (Coop arena or Pvp)
+ Optional full chapters
+ Equipment UPGRADE
+ General design
+ MANY sidequests / secrets
+ Dubbing
+ Humor

- Framerate, sometimes 5fps :S
- Plot twists kinda obvious
- Equipment DIVERSITY
- Some characters aren't enough developed.

Zomba13

I'm nearly 20 hours in now. Anyone know if it's worth upgrading the blunt swords? I've got copper ones that go into a silver ones and a silver ones that go into gold ones and I saw in the chest roulette thing that there is a diamond one.

Really liking this game so far. Such a shame about how low res some of the armour textures are. It stands out like a sore thumb in cutscenes.

Shiggy

lol, just cancelled my initial order of the LE (which is currently sitting at the post office as I wasn't home) and I'll take it on Monday and then send it back to the retailer immediately (for free, of course, thanks to EU laws). Why? I just ordered the LE at a different retailer as the price is a fair bit cheaper there (10€).
No matter what, I only need to pay the latter retailer and I will receive the game on Monday nonetheless. :D

I'm nearly 20 hours in now. Anyone know if it's worth upgrading the blunt swords? I've got copper ones that go into a silver ones and a silver ones that go into gold ones and I saw in the chest roulette thing that there is a diamond one.

Really liking this game so far. Such a shame about how low res some of the armour textures are. It stands out like a sore thumb in cutscenes.

Knight armor being the worst offender :(

NeoRausch

Oh boy... You can unequippe parts of the armor without loosing stats?

ALL BOOBS OUT! WOOOOHHHH!

...and while were at it, make it whote lingerie! Xenoblade supersexy armor redeem!

Zomba13

Knight armor being the worst offender :(

Oh god yes, By far. Such a shame too as it looks cool.

Oh boy... You can unequippe parts of the armor without loosing stats?

ALL BOOBS OUT! WOOOOHHHH!

...and while were at it, make it whote lingerie! Xenoblade supersexy armor redeem!
You can even get invisible dye to make the characters armour invisible. (top and/or bottom)

NeoRausch

hmmmm... am i the only one who found the startup/intro a little bit rough.

i still feel a little lost (just arrived in the town)

hmmmm... am i the only one who found the startup/intro a little bit rough.

i still feel a little lost (just arrived in the town)

Yes, sometimes you just have trouble figuring what to do next, but I think it's intentional at the beginning, being kinda lost in Lazulis city. (Since you run into a dialog that will tell you what to do next).

Actually I was completely lost in the city at first, but now I don't even think it's that big.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So did you unlock hard mode? Does it still have 5 lives? Can you start it in a new game without keeping any of your gear/stats/whatever other bonus unlocked or kept from the last playthrough? Can you post your save?

Tess3ract

Banned
How long is this game?

Also how well does it play on Dolphin compared to Xenoblade? I really don't give a shit about playing this on my wii.

Zomba13

How long is this game?

Also how well does it play on Dolphin compared to Xenoblade? I really don't give a shit about playing this on my wii.

apparently it doesn't run well on Dolphin at all and is prone to crashing. This is just going by what I've heard of the JP version so I assume it's the same for this one. When I found out you could use the Classic Controller to play I got excited to play it on Dolphin but doesn't seem worth the effort of ripping the game if it's not going to run well. Would have been awesome if it played as well as Xenoblade.

Haven't been playing long but so far not feeling the combat system, problems seem to be:

Can't choose which enemy to target.

Can't cycle through targets once locked on.

Attack animation overwrites other button presses, sometimes trying for 20 seconds to initiate gathering before it registers.

Game tries to forces 'strategies' onto the player, when really the only thing you can actually do is stand and slash.

Crossbow is pointless.

And not related to combat: Storyline is straight outta FFIX.

Zomba13

Haven't been playing long but so far not feeling the combat system, problems seem to be:

Can't choose which enemy to target.

Attack animation overwrites other button presses, sometimes trying for 20 seconds to initiate gathering before it registers.

Game tries to forces 'strategies' onto the player, when really the only thing you can actually do is stand and slash.

Crossbow is pointless.

And not related to combat: Storyline is straight outta FFIX.

Use Manual attack to get around some of the auto attack problems (A button = attacks not the stick).
Crossbow gets more useful later on.

Can't choose which enemy to target. -> stick direction,

Attack animation overwrites other button presses, sometimes trying for 20 seconds to initiate gathering before it registers. -> Never had any problems, try not to input a direction with the stick when trying gatering.

Game tries to forces 'strategies' onto the player, when really the only thing you can actually do is stand and slash. -> impossible later in the game in many battles

Crossbow is pointless. -> nay, you'll see later. It's crucial in many battles.

Some answers.

EDIT : Try disabling auto mode, may help you.

^ Thanks guys, tried manual mode and it's much better. I was going to try it from the start but it said you have lower attack using manual.

Luigiv

So up to chapter 16. The battle system become a ton more fun once I figured out the use of dispersing Magic Circles. <3 Holy.

Also with this much time under the belt I think it's safe to say, the game is not particularly great looking. It's technically competent but the colour palette is bland, the IQ is vomit and the framerate is all over the place. To me it looks like they tried to recreate UE3.0 on the Wii which is admirable but honestly the rendering techniques just don't play to the system's strengths.

Shame my PC isn't fast enough to emulate this game properly, that would have at least fixed half my issues.

Firemind

I feel like a complete badass now that I can use spirit skills. And I find myself sniping targets more often because I can (headshots are x8 damage). So, yeah, combat takes some time to be awesome.

2San

Also with this much time under the belt I think it's safe to say, the game is not particularly great looking. It's technically competent but the colour palette is bland, the IQ is vomit and the framerate is all over the place. To me it looks like they tried to recreate UE3.0 on the Wii which is admirable but honestly the rendering techniques just don't play to the system's strengths.
Honestly it's like they created the game for HD twins, but then badly ported it to the Wii.

Jucksalbe

Banned
How are the camera controls with the Wiimote? That's the only thing that bothers me, generally the Wiimote+Nunchuk setup is a lot more comfortable to play.

Top Bottom