• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lead up to PS5 & Series X has been very lackluster.

mortal

Gold Member
I'm sure I'm not the only feeling rather dissatisfied with the way Sony & Microsoft have been promoting the PS5 & Series X.
Despite a few interesting announcements here and there. even with all of the this hype about the switch to SSD and increased teraflops, I'm not feeling captivated and excited to jump into next gen whatsoever, and I really wanted to.

Sony's and Microsoft's insistence on playing chicken and waiting to see who will first officially reveal the price and release date of their respective consoles has reach obnoxious levels.
Sony in particular is the greater offender here. Still no word on what the new PS5 OS looks like nor any hands-on demos for any of the new OS features in action.

Beyond that it's really the surprising lack of gameplay for next gen titles that has bothered me the most.
PS5 is releasing in 2.5 months from now with Spiderman Miles Morales supposedly a launch game, yet as of this post we have even literally zero actual gameplay for it. That's a bit ridiculous, no?
With nothing more than "release windows" for the rest of PS5's catalogue.

Demon's Souls-No gameplay demo or release date.
GT7- A minute long gamely teaser with no release date.
R&C Rift Apart-Showed off the same gameplay demo since June with no release date
Horizon Forbidden West- No gameplay or release date.
Returnal- Shockingly we've seen a decent chunk of gameplay, but no release date.

Halo Infinite- A cross-gen title, has gotten a much needed indefinite delay. Which means the Series X won't be launching with any next-gen exclusives for at least another year or so.
Hellblade 2- No gameplay or release date.
Fable- No gameplay or release date
Avowed- No gameplay or release date.
Everwild- No gameplay or release date. Developers aren't event sure what the game will play like yet.
As Dusk Falls- Not even sure what I saw was even indicative of the gameplay experience, also no release date.
Forza- No gameplay or release date.

I'm sorry but is this the film industry or the video game industry? I can't really tell with over abundance of cinematic trailers and lack of gameplay for video games.

The majority of the offerings with pending release dates are 3rd party cross-gen titles that will also be releasing on PC at some point.
After Nvidia's recent RTX 30XX GPU line, PC will arguably be the most ideal platform to experience those titles anyway.

It feels like Sony or Microsoft are hardly even trying to sell me on their next-gen consoles & software line ups.
I've gotten so tired of reading blurb after after blurb from random developers about features and how game changing they are.
I just want to see the power of these next-gen hardware shown, not told.

Extensive gameplay trailers.
Hands on OS demos
Release Dates & prices.

2.5 months out and it doesn't even feel like next-gen is upon us. Whatever Anticipation I felt back in June has fizzled out with this drip feed news cycle.

Last edited:

Esca

I feel like with Sony at least they want to really saturate the market once they open the flood gates to start showing things. I think they want a big bang all the way up to release when they start.

I agree though this had been on the lackluster side overall. At least at e3 we normally got a lot more info. Really though it's becoming common to not blue your load till near release for Max hype

mortal

Gold Member
Patience is a virtue
For sure. Still though this has to the the driest lead up to a next-gen launch ever.

I understand Covid has thrown a wrench in the marketing to an extent, but 2.5 months out and hardly any gameplay for next-gen titles, no price, and no release dates for either console.

This is literally the 10th thread about the same exact topic posted in the past few weeks.
That could mean many people just aren't feeling it, and are eager to see and know significantly more than what's on offer atm.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
I feel the OP. I'm very frustrated at the lack of news/specs/game demos, etc.. I've never seen anything like it. This has never happened and all I can think about is that the hardware and games are just not ready and are going to come up short for ray-tracing and even native 4k on PS5/XSX.

I don't mean to be a preacher, but if I were some of you, I'd go PC all the way this generation.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I don't mean to be a preacher, but if I were some of you, I'd go PC all the way this generation.

Can't wait to put that 3090 to good use rendering Age of Empires 2 natively at 1280x800.

Seriously tho, 500 us dollars pc builds that include a windows license are not going to have the room to budget one of them new nvidias.

2.5 months out and it doesn't even feel like next-gen is upon us. Whatever Anticipation I felt back in June has fizzled out with this drip feed news cycle.

It's crazy we're 10 weeks away.... I have this theory that if covid disrupted Apple's clockwork-like iPhone release cycle it probably tore a hole through Sony and Microsoft's plans. I'm sort of expecting that any day I check the forum and I see the news that next-gen has been delayed 3-6 months...

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
I feel like with Sony at least they want to really saturate the market once they open the flood gates to start showing things. I think they want a big bang all the way up to release when they start.

I agree though this had been on the lackluster side overall. At least at e3 we normally got a lot more info. Really though it's becoming common to not blue your load till near release for Max hype
I understand Sony likes holding out, but if this were back in Spring, I'd understand their reluctance. Every other gen we knew prices & dates for the consoles and software by this point.
Miles Morales is a launch game and we haven't see a single bit of gameplay for it. Yet R&C Rift Apart & GT7 have gotten some gameplay. It's all very odd and rather dissatisfying tbh.

I feel the OP. I'm very frustrated at the lack of news/specs/game demos, etc.. I've never seen anything like it. This has never happened and all I can think about is that the hardware and games are just not ready and are going to come up short for ray-tracing and even native 4k on PS5/XSX.

Frustrating is exactly how I'd describe it. Especially with all of these non-stop articles and interviews from random developer gushing about the tech and features, when I'd much rather just witness it for myself. Covid understandably has made hands-on kiosks with a PS5 difficult, but Sony has yet to even shown a physical PS5 in any capacity even with press getting a hands on with it. That's fucking ridiculous lol

Nvidia's announcements only served to further highlight just how lackluster the PS5 & Series X marketing have been.

Last edited:

Yoboman

For sure. Still though this has to the the driest lead up to a next-gen launch ever.

I understand Covid has thrown a wrench in the marketing to an extent, but 2.5 months out and hardly any gameplay for next-gen titles, no price, and no release dates for either console.

That could mean many people just aren't feeling it, and are eager to see and know significantly more than what's on offer atm.
Is it? PS4 and Xbox One had two events each before launch. PS3 had two events, one which was the E3 a year and a half before. Other than their main events these consoles just had sprinkling of info throughout the year much like we are getting now

Xbox has already had two events, will possibly have a third and PS4 has had one with a second due soon. The only main difference is how much later it is but its not unexpected with Covid

Kdad

So you could have simply responded in that post.

I'm sure I'm not the only feeling rather dissatisfied with the way Sony & Microsoft have been promoting the PS5 & Series X.
Despite a few interesting announcements here and there. even with all of the this hype about the switch to SSD and increased teraflops, I'm not feeling captivated and excited to jump into next gen whatsoever, and I really wanted to.

Sony's and Microsoft's insistence on playing chicken and waiting to see who will first officially reveal the price and release date of their respective consoles has reach obnoxious levels.
Sony in particular is the greater offender here. Still no word on what the new PS5 OS looks like nor any hands-on demos for any of the new OS features in action.

Beyond that it's really the surprising lack of gameplay for next gen titles that has bothered me the most.
PS5 is releasing in 2.5 months from now with Spiderman Miles Morales supposedly a launch game, yet as of this post we have even literally zero actual gameplay for it. That's a bit ridiculous, no?
With nothing more than "release windows" for the rest of PS5's catalogue.

Demon's Souls-No gameplay demo or release date.
GT7- A minute long gamely teaser with no release date.
R&C Rift Apart-Showed off the same gameplay demo since June with no release date
Horizon Forbidden West- No gameplay or release date.
Returnal- Shockingly we've seen a decent chunk of gameplay, but no release date.

Halo Infinite- A cross-gen title, has gotten a much needed indefinite delay. Which means the Series X won't be launching with any next-gen exclusives for at least another year or so.
Hellblade 2- No gameplay or release date.
Fable- No gameplay or release date
Avowed- No gameplay or release date.
Everwild- No gameplay or release date. Developers aren't event sure what the game will play like yet.
As Dusk Falls- Not even sure what I saw was even indicative of the gameplay experience, also no release date.

I'm sorry but is this the film industry or the video game industry? I can't really tell with over abundance of cinematic trailers and lack of gameplay for video games.

The majority of the offerings with pending release dates are 3rd party cross-gen titles that will also be releasing on PC at some point.
After Nvidia's recent RTX 30XX GPU line, PC will arguably be the most ideal platform to experience those titles anyway.

It feels like Sony or Microsoft are hardly even trying to sell me on their next-gen consoles & software line ups.
I've gotten so tired of reading blurb after after blurb from random developers about features and how game changing they are.
I just want to see the power of these next-gen hardware shown, not told.

Extensive gameplay trailers.
Hands on OS demos
Release Dates & prices.

If it bothers you that much don't buy a next gen console then.

mortal

Gold Member
Is it? PS4 and Xbox One had two events each before launch. PS3 had two events, one which was the E3 a year and a half before. Other than their main events these consoles just had sprinkling of info throughout the year much like we are getting now

Xbox has already had two events, will possibly have a third and PS4 has had one with a second due soon. The only main difference is how much later it is but its not unexpected with Covid
Nah, Gen 7 had a considerably more exciting build up to launch coming off the heels of PS2 & Xbox.
With launch of this past gen, we had the release dates & prices as far back as June, in addition to gameplay from upcoming year one titles.

conveniently leaves out Forza :messenger_winking:

Oh wow, I did lol

No gameplay, no release date. So there's that.

If it bothers you that much don't buy a next gen console then.
I think you're misunderstanding me lol. I didn't say PS5 & XBSX suck. I'm talking specifically about the severe lack of gameplay and info for consoles that are 2.5 months out from launch.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well I finally got to see more gameplay of SCARLET NEXUS, and I'm personally very happy from what I saw so far.

We also getting some new info from Kena soon...

I know they are cross gen but so far these two are my most hype games for next gen.

With that being said I'm not exactly all hype for next gen like most people are, even gets delayed to next year I couldn't care less,
In all honesty I'm waaaaay more hyped for 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim than I'm for next gen systems.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Well I finally got to see more gameplay of SCARLET NEXUS, and I'm personally very from what I saw from it so far.

We also getting some new info from Kena soon...

I know they are cross gen but so far these two are my most hype games for next gen.

With that being said I'm not exactly all hype for next gen like most people are, even gets delayed to next year I caould care less,
In all honesty I'm waaaaay more hyped for 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim than I'm for next gen systems.

Kena looks pretty good, while Scarlet Nexus isn't really my cup of tea, at the very least we're getting actual gameplay and info for these titles.
Just wish that were the case with next-gen titles.

Mokus

It does annoy me too, but not as much. For me, the PS5 backwards compatibility is the biggest concern, because it would be decisive wether I buy at launch the new console or wait a few years. Otherwise I'm sure Sony will deliver a fantastic product with a solid support over the years.

Danjin44

Kena looks pretty good, while Scarlet Nexus isn't really my cup of tea, at the very least we're getting actual gameplay and info for these titles.
Just wish that were the case with next-gen titles.
My advice is, we have plenty of great current gen games that already out and coming out soon, enjoy those for now and will get news for next gen games eventually, I myself not exactly in big hurry here.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Nah, Gen 7 had a considerably more exciting build up to launch coming off the heels of PS2 & Xbox.
With launch of this past gen, we had the release dates & prices as far back as June, in addition to gameplay from upcoming year one titles.

Oh wow, I did lol

No gameplay, no release date. So there's that.

I think you're misunderstanding me lol. I didn't say PS5 & XBSX suck. I'm talking specifically about the severe lack of gameplay and info for consoles that are 2.5 months out from launch.
Gameplay even a few minutes long take months to produce. Its not just Sony and MS, they are reliant on devs who are working from home and may simply not have the ability to do that and target launch

Saaleh

Banned
Sony is doing good so far. Yes, their reveals are always delayed and there is a huge gap between each reveal but starting from mark Cerny's presentation, controller, UE5 and beyond, they really satisfied the majority in each reveal and thet really generated a legit hype. Unlike Microsoft sony deserves my patience. The next game reveal will show satisfying gameplay. Painful to wait but I'm not worried..

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
My advice is, we have plenty of great current gen games that already out and coming out soon, enjoy those for now and will get news for next gen games eventually, I myself not exactly in big hurry here.
Oh I'm already am. Just want to air my frustration with the next gen marketing and the lack of gameplay being shown off.
I'm very much eager to see what developers have been able to accomplish with new tech.

This current gen has reach saturation point for me, where too many games play and look the same, both AAA & indie alike. I'm ready to move on.

It does annoy me too, but not as much. For me, the PS5 backwards compatibility is the biggest concern, because it would be decisive wether I buy at launch the new console or wait a few years. Otherwise I'm sure Sony will deliver a fantastic product with a solid support over the years.
Yep, they've yet to lay out how the backward compatibility will work on PS5 and which titles will be ready by launch or year one. I don't understand they they're being this mum so close to launch.

Gameplay even a few minutes long take months to produce. Its not just Sony and MS, they are reliant on devs who are working from home and may simply not have the ability to do that and target launch
For sure. Both Sony & Microsoft have committed to launching 2020 on several occasions when Covid casted doubt. They'll be launching premium hardware this year, and they're not really making it all that compelling to jump in imo. I'd much rather see gameplay over a cinematic, anyday. Regardless of how pretty a cinematic trailer might be, I'm not making a purchasing decision without seeing what the actual gameplay experience looks or feel like.

Black Myth : Wu Kong is the great example. New small studio, announce their game by showing the actual game. Looks great, give audiences an idea of what to look forward to. Simple.
I wish devs & publisher would do away with announcing their games with only a cinematic trailer, especially CGI. Visuals have gotten to the point where those do nothing for me anymore.
Sony is doing good so far. Yes, their reveals are always delayed and there is a huge gap between each reveal but starting from mark Cerny's presentation, controller, UE5 and beyond, they really satisfied the majority in each reveal and thet really generated a legit hype. Unlike Microsoft sony deserves my patience. The next game reveal will show satisfying gameplay. Painful to wait but I'm not worried..
Glad you think so, I'm not really convinced yet. The UE5 tech demo looked amazing, but being reasonable I don't expect AAA games to look like that till maybe the mid point of next-gen. Just want to see more gameplay of video games.

Danjin44

This current gen has reach saturation point for me, where too many games play and look the same, both AAA & indie alike. I'm ready to move on.
If thats how you feel then I don't know what exactly you think the next gen going to give you? I'm pretty sure we are still going to get same type of game we are getting in current gen with just prettier graphics.

Last edited:

Bkdk

Yep, I’ve not been interested much for their first party offerings for a few years but this is looking even worse. With nvidia’s blowout rtx3000 series pc is likely to win on hardware power value front for the first time for a graphics card that’s releasing at similar timeframe to new console generation. That’s massive for nvidia and big moment for gamers.

Microsoft clearly knew it’s coming so they hurried to develop flight, AOE4 and snatch up pc focused developers left and right. Sony is slightly late to The party but ramp up their support for pc as well. They are still delaying price announcement and I’m sure their original pricing is a disastrous one, likely 700 dollars and are having immediate crisis meeting on what they should do on new pricing without losing too much money themselves.

mortal

Gold Member
If thats how you feel then I don't know what exactly you think the next gen going to give you? I'm pretty sure we are still going to get same type of game we are getting in current gen with just prettier graphics.
There were plenty of amazing titles released this past gen, many of which weren't technically capable on PS3 & Xbox360.

New hardware gives ambitious developers the opportunity to do considerably than what they ere capable of previously.
I'm eager to see what developers will do with better specs, new controller features, and in particular how the new standard of SSD drives will influence game design going forward.
Curious to see how certain developers will approach level design, AI, sound, immersion, etc.

turtlepowa

Banned
I know what you mean and i'm not even interested in first party games that much. What 3rd party games are coming in the next 6 months? For me just Hitman 3 and Cyberpunk and i don't think the difference between a XSX/PS5 and my Xbox One X will be jaw dropping. That has to be the least exciting console release ever.

farmerboy

This is literally the 10th thread about the same exact topic posted in the past few weeks.

Its fucking shit though. Where's the hype? The grandeur? The "I can't fucking believe it"?

Thats why I'm hoping Sony celebrates the shit outta their 25 yr anniversary (which they really should have last year, when it was 25yrs since Japanese launch), because in my eyes, they're are as synonymous with videogames as Nintendo. They should be fucking proud.

Celebrate, and show the PS5. It should be an iconic moment.

Danjin44

New hardware gives ambitious developers the opportunity to do considerably than what they ere capable of previously.
In my opinion thats mostly comes from actual designers rather than having high tech. You could say Demon's Souls was most influential game out there, its the game most developers try copy from but if you look at Demons Souls from tech perspective is not all that high tech I dont think it even had high budget. What made the game special is how FROM "design" the game.

I feel like you are going to set yourself for disappointment if you are hoping next gen tech going to give you entirely new experience.

I agree. This will be the first time I have never bought a next gen console at watch since the SNES and I was a child back then. Honestly, all I want is a 4K UHD player from what I’ve seen so far.

mortal

Gold Member
In my opinion thats mostly comes from actual designers rather than having high tech. You could say Demon's Souls was most influential game out there, its the game most developers try copy from but if you look at Demons Souls from tech perspective is not all that high tech I dont think it even had high budget. What made the game special is how FROM "design" the game.

I feel like you are going to set yourself for disappointment if you are hoping next gen tech going to give you entirely new experience.
Yes I agree, but better technology will only make for a better foundation for good game design. Some of my favorite titles from this past gen:
Bloodborne
Red Dead Redemption 2
The Last Guardian
Death Stranding
Hitman 1 & 2

All of these were developed by some of the most talented and creative teams in the industry. All of which would struggle to even run on a PS3 or a Xbox360 without making significant sacrifices.
Which would change the immersive experience of those titles on a fundamental level. Playing each of these titles gave me entirely new and unique experiences I never had in previous console generations.

I'm not setting myself up at all, because I'm keeping an open mind in what developers will do with access to better hardware and more tools to make games even more immersive.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
All PS5 titles shown were captured in-game so you know the graphics and if you’ve played Horizon, Spider-Man etc then it shouldn’t be too difficult to work out how they play.
I have no idea. I'm not on these development teams. I don't know what new mechanics or new ways of traversal they're introducing, or how much more expansive and interactive the worlds are.
Left to my own imagination, I can dream up all sorts of things all day, doesn't mean that's what the actual game experience will translate to.
That's also one of the easiest ways of building something up in your mind, only be met with disappointment when the actual game doesn't resemble or feel how you imagined it would.
Would much rather have something tangible and concrete to anticipate.

It's a video game after all, show me what the gameplay looks like. That's not unreasonable, is it?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I have no idea. I'm not on these development teams. I don't know what new mechanics or new ways of traversal they're introducing, or how much more expansive and interactive the worlds are.
Left to my own imagination, I can dream up all sorts of things all day, doesn't mean that's what the actual game experience will translate to.
That's also one of the easiest ways of building something up in your mind, only be met with disappointment when the actual game doesn't resemble or feel how you imagined it would.
Would much rather have something tangible and concrete to anticipate.

It's a video game after all, show me what the gameplay looks like. That's not unreasonable, is it?

Most sequels don’t change up the gameplay too dramatically from their predecessors.

bosnianpie

There is definitely a difference in hype level compared to 2013. I remember Sony going strong that whole year. Beginning at the February event, knocking out MS at E3, all the way to the November release people were genuinely excited. It was a feeling that Sony did everything right and the hype was through the roof.
This time I think Sony have been feeding us crumbs the entire year. It's a hype killer and really tiresome.

pasterpl

Medium, scorn, Falconeer and couple more all are next gen console exclusives available day one for xbsex and we have seen some gameplay from all.

on ps5 we have seen Kena(this is cross gen), astrobot, bugsnax and couple more gameplay and I think these are ps5 console launch exclusives.

don’t get me wrong this year console launch lineups looks very weak for both ps5 and xbsex, but there were some games shown with gameplays that will be available on day 1

Kimahri

Banned
It's been a dumpster fire. Anyone defending this shit is in denial. Both companies should be ramping up now, showing us more and more, and instead there is nothing. Complete silence.

Compared to every other new gen this is just embarrassing .

At this point, I see no reason to get either console. Why get these now? Why not wait six months? A year? What's gonna be there, and when?

I'd only be playing current gen games for the foreseeable future anyway, so why bother?

It's like the Japanese launches of the PS, SEGA Saturn, PS2 never happened. All I want and really care for at launch is for one game to really show off graphics that are only possible on the next-gen.
The games that push the systems and AAA stuff always come years later, unless you bought an N64 or Super Famicom at launch

I am disappointed with how little MS have shown off of Forza 8 . Given the game been in production for 3 years and Turn 10 usually only need 2 years

Orta

Banned
Its extremely underwhelming. Another factor for me at least is that whilst the current gen technically at least are relics, they are still pumping out games like TLOU2, Ori2, Ghosts of Tsushima, etc. They don't exactly give the impression of dated consoles on their last legs as is traditionally the case before new hardware launches.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Perrott

Gold Member
I don't agree. The PS5 reveal event was one of the strongest showings in the entire history of the PlayStation brand and I couldn't be more excited for the lineup of first-party games planned for the first year.

I think most of you don't remember how awful E3 2013 was for the PS4 in terms of exclusive games.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gold Member
I kind of agree that it's all been a bit weird, this whole next gen reveal, but it really doesn't bother me. This year's just been shit man, for pretty much everyone. Between everyone's kids' schooling getting canceled at the end of last year and now having to do the distance school shit, everyone wondering when the economy's gonna pick back up and when everything will just get back to normal, I don't know. Like, I guess I still care somewhat about the new consoles, and I'm definitely gonna get them eventually, but I just find it hard to give a shit about em right now. Just feels like a weird year to be excited about new toys.

Ar¢tos

Looking at how people react to things I can understand them wanting to delay reveals as much as possible. People get hyped when things are revealed but as things sink in, they start losing interest. Having the big reveals (games, os features, price, whatever) closer to release date might get them more day one buyers.
I don't think they haven't announced prices because of each other mainly (MS/Sony), but for fear of commitment in this extremely unstable economy (because of covid), they will delay setting a price as much as possible, to try to prevent big losses if component supply suddenly gets constrained or the components prices hike up.

Top Bottom