• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lead up to PS5 & Series X has been very lackluster.

Papacheeks

Banned
Please, pics. And include some of your screen.

Here you go:

dav.jpg

Inside of PC:

dav.jpg

Side on view:

mde.jpg

Model of panel is Pixio 277h

1440P 165hz

I have it set at 120 as some games with my Radon VII does weird shit when I go above 144.

And again.......

You have not clue what your talking about.

Some games will look better and run better on PC. But there are some games that are designed from the ground up to target a specific spec, and run well at those specs.

Case in point is Decima engine. Runs well for the most part.

in terms of making use of your hardware?

Not so much in terms of scaling.

And that would be because of assets.

Papacheeks

Banned
Perfect time to build a great gaming rig inmho

I'm good till spring. Going all in on PS5 until then.

By then AIB's for Radeon Big Navi will be more abundant, and top end NVME will also be out.

Going all in on NVME storage. Going to buy a cheap 2-3 TB gen 3 for mass storage of projects that I have. And then have a super fast 1tb for games that I will play the most.

iJudged

Banned
I'm good till spring. Going all in on PS5 until then.

By then AIB's for Radeon Big Navi will be more abundant, and top end NVME will also be out.

Going all in on NVME storage. Going to buy a cheap 2-3 TB gen 3 for mass storage of projects that I have. And then have a super fast 1tb for games that I will play the most.
That's what I am talking about! Kick ass!

VFXVeteran

Banned
Some games will look better and run better on PC. But there are some games that are designed from the ground up to target a specific spec, and run well at those specs.

I don't understand this. The games like Decima engine that target a specific spec is at a disadvantage as even closed hardware changes. No developer likes changing their entire engine for yet another closed system. A lot of these companies will be expanding their closed graphics engines to allow multiply platform compatibility and it'll be a glorious thing.

It does scale pretty well actually. It's probably the most along Sony specific graphics engine geared for future PC titles.

Assets?

Last edited:
Yes I agree, but better technology will only make for a better foundation for good game design. Some of my favorite titles from this past gen:
Bloodborne
Red Dead Redemption 2
The Last Guardian
Death Stranding
Hitman 1 & 2

All of these were developed by some of the most talented and creative teams in the industry. All of which would struggle to even run on a PS3 or a Xbox360 without making significant sacrifices.
Which would change the immersive experience of those titles on a fundamental level. Playing each of these titles gave me entirely new and unique experiences I never had in previous console generations.

I'm not setting myself up at all, because I'm keeping an open mind in what developers will do with access to better hardware and more tools to make games even more immersive.

Honestly, I think we are going to see more of the same next generation. With gaming supposedly going up in development costs, less innovative talent imo and less risk taking from developers. Hopefully, I’m wrong though. I’m expecting the most interesting games to come from indie developers mostly again though.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Honestly, I think we are going to see more of the same next generation. With gaming supposedly going up in development costs, less innovative talent imo and less risk taking from developers. Hopefully, I’m wrong though. I’m expecting the most interesting games to come from indie developers mostly again though.

Yea, I'm feeling this too. The graphics engines that are technical marvels are starting to be from Indie developers (Asobo's FS2020). These guys are willing to take risks and push boundaries.

Papacheeks

Banned
I don't understand this. The games like Decima engine that target a specific spec is at a disadvantage as even closed hardware changes. No developer likes changing their entire engine for yet another closed system. A lot of these companies will be expanding their closed graphics engines to allow multiply platform compatibility and it'll be a glorious thing.

It does scale pretty well actually. It's probably the most along Sony specific graphics engine geared for future PC titles.

Assets?

Really not, you have no clue when it comes to game design and getting the most out of a closed system. Case in point go read up on FF7:R everyone was surprised that it ran so well on base PS4 with that level of fidelity. And digital foundry even did a video on talking about targeting single hardware config has advantages like getting the most out of that set of hardware.

Without having to make changes to certain optimizations for it to run on other configurations.

God of war looks//runs the way it does because they are targeting one set of hardware.

I'd already been losing interest...but the nvidia reveal solidified the fact that i wont be making a next gen purchase console wise for 3-4 years 🤷🏾‍♂️.
My moneys on a 3090 and I will just get any sony exclusives that dont hit pc when theyre on a sale or something

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Really not, you have no clue when it comes to game design and getting the most out of a closed system.

Uhhh.. is that some troll post right there? I absolutely know about game design and I know about getting the most out of a closed system. I work on closed systems. Could you rephrase that in a less offensive way so we can discuss properly?

Case in point go read up on FF7:R everyone was surprised that it ran so well on base PS4 with that level of fidelity. And digital foundry even did a video on talking about targeting single hardware config has advantages like getting the most out of that set of hardware.

My friends over at Naughty Dog have told me they are quickly trying to change their graphics engine so that it supports multiplatforms. They went through alot of pain with PS3->PS4 converting different architectures. Thats' part of the reason they begged Sony to make a platform more PC-centric. Am I dreaming this up and don't really have any friends in the industry that has told me this?

God of war looks//runs the way it does because they are targeting one set of hardware.

But God of War will be changed to run on PS5 which is a different architecture than PS4. And it will RUN well after they port it. Are you saying that it will run better on a PS4 than a PS5 since it was optimized for the PS4?

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Here you go:

dav.jpg

Inside of PC:

dav.jpg

Side on view:

mde.jpg

Model of panel is Pixio 277h

1440P 165hz

I have it set at 120 as some games with my Radon VII does weird shit when I go above 144.

And again.......

You have not clue what your talking about.

Case in point is Decima engine. Runs well for the most part.

in terms of making use of your hardware?

Dude, take it easy. If some random guy on internet ask you for pics, just dont do that ha.
Nice machine, but still I've seen RDR2 on a 2080ti, 4k max out, and thats orders of magnitude better than anything a console can provide.

I'm sure I'm not the only feeling rather dissatisfied with the way Sony & Microsoft have been promoting the PS5 & Series X.
Despite a few interesting announcements here and there. even with all of the this hype about the switch to SSD and increased teraflops, I'm not feeling captivated and excited to jump into next gen whatsoever, and I really wanted to.

Sony's and Microsoft's insistence on playing chicken and waiting to see who will first officially reveal the price and release date of their respective consoles has reach obnoxious levels.
Sony in particular is the greater offender here. Still no word on what the new PS5 OS looks like nor any hands-on demos for any of the new OS features in action.

Beyond that it's really the surprising lack of gameplay for next gen titles that has bothered me the most.
PS5 is releasing in 2.5 months from now with Spiderman Miles Morales supposedly a launch game, yet as of this post we have even literally zero actual gameplay for it. That's a bit ridiculous, no?
With nothing more than "release windows" for the rest of PS5's catalogue.

Demon's Souls-No gameplay demo or release date.
GT7- A minute long gamely teaser with no release date.
R&C Rift Apart-Showed off the same gameplay demo since June with no release date
Horizon Forbidden West- No gameplay or release date.
Returnal- Shockingly we've seen a decent chunk of gameplay, but no release date.

Halo Infinite- A cross-gen title, has gotten a much needed indefinite delay. Which means the Series X won't be launching with any next-gen exclusives for at least another year or so.
Hellblade 2- No gameplay or release date.
Fable- No gameplay or release date
Avowed- No gameplay or release date.
Everwild- No gameplay or release date. Developers aren't event sure what the game will play like yet.
As Dusk Falls- Not even sure what I saw was even indicative of the gameplay experience, also no release date.
Forza- No gameplay or release date.

I'm sorry but is this the film industry or the video game industry? I can't really tell with over abundance of cinematic trailers and lack of gameplay for video games.

The majority of the offerings with pending release dates are 3rd party cross-gen titles that will also be releasing on PC at some point.
After Nvidia's recent RTX 30XX GPU line, PC will arguably be the most ideal platform to experience those titles anyway.

It feels like Sony or Microsoft are hardly even trying to sell me on their next-gen consoles & software line ups.
I've gotten so tired of reading blurb after after blurb from random developers about features and how game changing they are.
I just want to see the power of these next-gen hardware shown, not told.

Extensive gameplay trailers.
Hands on OS demos
Release Dates & prices.

2.5 months out and it doesn't even feel like next-gen is upon us. Whatever Anticipation I felt back in June has fizzled out with this drip feed news cycle.
Blah blah blah blah 😒 hold for nextgen opinions for when the systems are here

vkbest

Its the first gen I don't take care if buy the next playstation at release or later. The reasons:

- The most games are announced for last gen.
- I have PS4 Pro and 1080p tv, so in rare exceptions, the games usually have native or higher resolution and stable framerate
- Economical crisis by COVID (im affected too).

Papacheeks

Banned
Dude, take it easy. If some random guy on internet ask you for pics, just dont do that ha.
Nice machine, but still I've seen RDR2 on a 2080ti, 4k max out, and thats orders of magnitude better than anything a console can provide.

You called me out with some bullshit remark, then asked for pics. DIDN'T KNOW if you were being an ass or genuinely wanted to see what i have.

Red dead 2 is very dense game, and even on a 2080ti let alone a 3080 it still will have issues running at 60fps at 4k.

So no.

Could be in how the coded that game, or that there is so much to render and pack into VRAM where it has issues.

If a $1200 gpu cant run it at max settings, then auto fail.

sobaka770

Banned
I'm kind of upset we don't have good gameplay trailers apart from Ratchet and Clank (;et's not speak about Halo). Last generation we had Killzone and FIFA and a lot of third party companies showing the next-gen enhancements. I feel like since then hardware marketing became much more condensed and we'll see a blitz of news starting end-of-September or early October weeks before release, because the consoles will be sold out anyway and that way the hype is highly concentrated instead of spread out over the whole year.

That being said with 3080RTX I'm somewhat satisfied with gaming right now, thanks Nvidia!

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
You called me out with some bullshit remark, then asked for pics. DIDN'T KNOW if you were being an ass or genuinely wanted to see what i have.

Red dead 2 is very dense game, and even on a 2080ti let alone a 3080 it still will have issues running at 60fps at 4k.

So no.

Could be in how the coded that game, or that there is so much to render and pack into VRAM where it has issues.

If a $1200 gpu cant run it at max settings, then auto fail.

I just cant get your point. "still have issues running at 60fps at 4k", though you say that games that run at -mostly- 30fps below 4k all the time are better.
Dont want to be obtuse, I think for the price of a console, its wonderful. But to even think that a usd400 machine can compare visually to a high end PC is hard for me to understand. I guess theres a level of subjectivity to this, for me bigger fps is a deal breaker, and other factors are less important.

Papacheeks

Banned
I just cant get your point. "still have issues running at 60fps at 4k", though you say that games that run at -mostly- 30fps below 4k all the time are better.
Dont want to be obtuse, I think for the price of a console, its wonderful. But to even think that a usd400 machine can compare visually to a high end PC is hard for me to understand. I guess theres a level of subjectivity to this, for me bigger fps is a deal breaker, and other factors are less important.

You totally missed the entire point.

Consoles give you a refined, specified experience that take not drivers, no updates or tweaks to run well. The build of the game you played is play tested on said hardware to run well on said hardware. You will get 4k 60 on some games and maybe they do so re-construction techniques to get it at those specs.

I'm saying developers who develop for one subset of hardware usually really try to optimize it for it, and in the end the experience in my opinion is really good or at least consistent.
PC gaming is for people who just want better frames and push pixels, basically options.

The fact you are getting a 12tf console is amazing. Most people if you look at steam stats dont even game beyond 1440p now most still gaming at 1080p. So to get consoles that can run native 4k @ or 60fps is amazing.
If you want a seemless experience on your 4k HDR display you go console. If you want cheaper options to play games,, and tweak those said games to your desired play then you go PC.
But since the existence of consoles, games made for that set of hardware has always shown to be well tooled and refined most of the time.
PC it's up in the air depending on how they optimized their engine to run on multiple configs. And sometimes it doesn't always work out.

Thats all I'm saying.
I see that animation wise we never will get a PC developer that can be on Naughty Dog, Santa Monica's, Insomniacs level when it comes to animation.

Those developers mainly make games for set pieces of hardware, with Insomniac making VR titles once in a while.
To achieve 4k 30+ on PC you need to spend some money. Almost more than double to tripple what console costs.
Not including how expensive 4k monitors are with high refresh rates.
For the same price you could buy a 10-12tf gaming console, and a great 4k HDR 120hz tv.

i understand where both strengths are, but for me with my job being so hectic, I prefer console gaming for the tailored experience. While enjoying PC for the more open/free experience when playing online or titles I am ok waiting for like Doom eternal to go on sale.
Console games I am more hyped for because of all the money that goes into animation, mo-cap , scene direction.

When Valve announced a new Half-life running on new source engine thats not tied to VR, I'll get excited again.

Cyberpunk is the only PC release I've excited about currently.

Ozrimandias

A transition to a new generation in the past came with a lots of news, rumours, specs, shows, interviews, show offs etc.....it was a show that lasted months prior to the official release.

This transition to a next gens has been the complete opposite, secretism, almost no leaks, no show, no nothing.
Lackluster is not the correct word to describe this..... "Terrible" is a more close term.

Audiophile

Gold Member
I wanna see more of Miles Morales. Spidey PS4 gameplay was shown more than a year before release. Miles Morales is presumably about two months away and while the trailer looks great, it's full of tight, ambiguous shots and lots of motion blur / dof. We haven't seen any proper gameplay. It's about time we had a substantial chunk of gameplay from a flagship title that's launching with the console.

I understand times are tough but if the game is two months out, it's perfectly reasonable to expect a 5 minute slice of gameplay at this point.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

All of it has been handled very poorly IMO. Hard to really blame it all on COVID too. I can't believe it's September and we're finally getting crumbs.

Top Bottom