• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The least Nintendo-like game Nintendo published?

Currently playing Geist for the first time...holy shit this game is sooooo not Nintendo like, yet it's published by them! I don't even know how to properly describe this game...it's part Resident Evil, part Metroid Prime, part Prey 2006? It feels so distinctly 6th gen... yet this game would be a great fit for VR given it's weirdness and trippiness.

So yea, Geist is my pick for the least Nintendo-like game Nintendo published so far...what say you GAF? What's the least Nintendo-like game Nintendo published according to you?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Astral-Chain_2019_05-15-19_Artwork-920x518.jpg

e8f6dae2970fd5b7955bce44c423f0c76a348cecef25e53d620ebd0126013f8c.jpg

Banned
it is very not nintendo-like.
I like Geist, but it is VERRRRY unpolished. stiff controls, really bad performance in some parts and it's a bit buggy.

and also its a shooter ontop of that.

HE1NZ

Banned
Geist is a good example. The only thing I remember about it is that you can peek at girls in showers and that's not very Nintendo.

stranno

220px-Devils_Third_boxart.jpg

Extreme violence and a general lack of polish are not Nintendo's forte.
Really? It features a russian tattooed on steroids Solid Snake fighting against over the top augmented terrorists. Imo it was a great game with some minor performance problems.

So yea, Geist is my pick for the least Nintendo-like game Nintendo published so far...what say you GAF? What's the least Nintendo-like game Nintendo published according to you?
Geist was quite amazing, the only original game from n-Space, the guys that made pretty much every single first person shooter for Nintendo DS. It was the perfect blend of Shiny's Messiah with first person shooter formula.

You can even be a supernatural stalker in a girls shower, give it a break!

Sa6sGKp.gif

JordanN

Banned
With the exception of Donkey Kong, all the Rareware games on N64 felt like their own thing.

Like 007, Killer Instinct and Perfect Dark. Would Nintendo have published that if Rare didn't happen to be a 2nd Party?

GuNamql.jpg

Bakkus

With the exception of Donkey Kong, all the Rareware games on N64 felt like their own thing.

Like 007, Killer Instinct and Perfect Dark. Would Nintendo have published that if Rare didn't happen to be a 2nd Party?

GuNamql.jpg
The answer to your question is obviously not. At the time, what did Nintendo publish that they didn't at the very least partially own?

My answer is probably Disaster Day of Crisis.

Pandora's Tower, Eternal Darkness, Fatal Frame 4, Fatal Frame 2 Remake, Fatal Frame 5, The Last Story, Reginleiv .

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Another Code/R? Or has Nintendo made any notable point & click adventure games itself? They've made pretty much everything else (lol 2nd party, it's all Nintendo), platform games, action games, shooters, jrpgs, so many of those they published in these genres aren't such a stretch.

Last edited:
Weird I thought they published all the Rare games at the time

They did, just not that one. Nintendo didn't want their name attached to something so raunchy. This game's release is when most of the friction between the two companies started to bubble to the surface.

TexMex

They did, just not that one. Nintendo didn't want their name attached to something so raunchy. This game's release is when most of the friction between the two companies started to bubble to the surface.

what threw me is that Nintendo power did the official players guide for it, which they only ever seemed to do for their first party stuff. I can’t think of another one.

Codes 208

Mad_world_wii_esrb.jpg

while not developed by nintendo, they fully published it as a wii exclusive. And it has a very gears of war dude-bro vibe that Id expect more as an xbox game

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member

This one it's fascinating, cause there were reports they might have fully acquired the IP.

I guess that was them realizing they couldn't count on Resident Evil anymore so they needed a new horror IP.

I wish they either port Maiden of Black Water or make a new one, it's about time.

Visited to mention Conker’s BFD, but revising my opinion to Devil’s Third. Nothing about teaming up with Valhalla and Itagaki made any sense whatsoever. And it came out exactly as you might have suspected.

Quasicat

I’ve always felt like Splatoon is very different from Nintendo. Gameplay and music remind of SEGA when they were doing crazy stuff on the DreamCast...especially the main theme.

EDMIX

Perhaps published was the wrong word, my point was its a wii exclusive and not exactly the first thing that comes to mind as a nintendo game.

I mean sure, but its not a Nintendo game at all. Topic of the thread is literally Nintendo published titles, that are not Nintendo like. So sure, its not really the first thing that comes to mind as a Nintendo game, but thats probably why it was Sega that published it and not Nintendo...

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Thank you for mentioning ARMS Juke Joint Jezebel Juke Joint Jezebel . At a basic level / on the surface, it is a prettier version of Wii Boxing, but when you start learning the mechanics it's a lot more like a Virtua On game (as you mentioned). One of Nintendo's all-time best games, IMO. I still play it regularly.

My contribution is Sin & Punishment Star Successor (Wii):

Other entries in this thread were added because they were uncharacteristically bloody, or violent, or foul-mouthed, or otherwise not in line with Nintendo's family-friendly image. This game fulfills that before the first level even begins, with cursing and the main character Kachi getting impaled. Other than Star Fox and Kid Icarus, Nintendo isn't really known for rail shooters, either.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
I don’t really have an answer and most of the best ones have been said.

What I will say is that unlike Sony, Nintendo seems to be allergic to western-style games. And nowhere is this more evident than Smash Bros DLC. Only one western developed character. Or take for example Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. Team Ninja changed the style to more of a Japanese style beat-em-up.

I think the closest to western style games were the N64 Rare published games. Before that, you’d have to go back to the 8 bit area with games like Popeye or March Rider or all their sports games.

But I digress. What if Nintendo were to make a game that appeals to western sensibilities and tastes? That to me would be truly un-Nintendo-like.

Shaqazooloo

All these years later, I still can't believe 1080 Snowboarding was made and published by them.

That game doesn't really line up with what Nintendo is at all.

nordique

Perhaps published was the wrong word, my point was its a wii exclusive and not exactly the first thing that comes to mind as a nintendo game.

but the thread is about Nintendo published games though
otherwise we could say any Exclusive/timed exclusive mature game falls in that category (I.e. re4)

my vote goes to eternal darkness especially given the time context when it came out relative to Nintendo perceptions

Last edited:

tassletine

Goldeneye.

About the only thing Nintendo about it is that it came out of the blue with a ridiculous new Control scheme. The game blindsided the entire industry but as a Nintendo game It really sticks out, especially since film licenses before that were regarded badly (why would you even bother?) and Nintendo and psychopathic secret agents don’t exactly go hand in hand.
It was also very realistic at the time, probably the most realistic thin they‘ve ever published, comparatively speaking. Very un-Nintendo in almost every way, except the fun.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Killer Instinct on SNES.

Oh shit, we can't have blood in fighting games. So knock it off MK.

Oh wait. Hey gamers, here's KI with blood.

Top Bottom