• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Left Vows to Continue Probes Into Trump

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
"Trump is a one man crime wave," one Democrat went on record as saying.

FFS, some people just can't stop slamming their dick in the door, can they? Question: how badly will this continue to hurt the Democrats? I sincerely believe they will lose the house and fail to take the presidency if they continue on this way.

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
FFS, some people just can't stop slamming their dick in the door, can they? Question: how badly will this continue to hurt the Democrats? I sincerely believe they will lose the house and fail to take the presidency if they continue on this way.
They still got California and New York on their pinky finger.

If anything, expect the future of U.S politics to get worse. If a Republican president is somehow elected in the future, Democrats will just start an impeachment trial on day one.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
A lot of Democrat advisors have been saying they need to move on now and focus on real issues. So I fully expect them to ignore that and continue on the path that has only hurt them the last three years.

Don McGahn already testified with Mueller for 30 hours. I’m not sure what dirt they are hoping to uncover from him or why they think reviving failed Russia stuff years later is smart.

The Senate already said Bolton’s testimony won’t change things. Most of the country tuned impeachment out. Bringing it back months later isn’t going to be smart.

Trying to fish around someone’s tax records hoping to find something just seems petty and desperate.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Seems like DNC knows they will lose the house and are trying to cram as much in as possible before then. Schiff/Pelosi/Nadler know that the power is going to be taken away from them so they need to keep abusing it.

Seems pretty blatant they are just doing this to influence the election. Its why they dragged Mueller till past 2018 (the guy knew there was no collusion probably since day 2 of his investigation). And then why they cooked up the Ukraine conspiracy.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
It’s like that big turd that you can’t flush. They will keep circling the bowl because they legislated in low gallons per flush shitters to protect themselves.

Madonis

Oct 21, 2018
Trump won't be president forever, so he won't always have the power of the office saving his ass, and has waddled in enough dirt that some will stick.

In other words, he isn't a perfect president who has done nothing wrong. He certainly wasn't a perfect businessman or human being beforehand either.

For the sake of historical accuracy, I look forward to the eventual declassification of the various administration documents that Trump doesn't want to release.

Don McGahn already testified with Mueller for 30 hours. I’m not sure what dirt they are hoping to uncover from him or why they think reviving failed Russia stuff years later is smart.
That's missing the forest for the trees. Mueller stated there was no collusion with Russia, but he was quite detailed about acts of obstruction in his report.

Whether it is wise of Congress to take action on the subject right now is one thing, fair enough, but they certainly have the power and the authority to do so.

The Senate already said Bolton’s testimony won’t change things. Most of the country tuned impeachment out. Bringing it back months later isn’t going to be smart.
Not in the eyes of the Senate, but it may have an effect on voters (not exclusively for registered Democrats) who did in fact want to hear from him and other witnesses.

Trying to fish around someone’s tax records hoping to find something just seems petty and desperate.
I'd say the real pettiness lies in his stubborn-as-a-mule refusal to release them, when many other candidates and presidents have done it.

I don't necessarily expect a bombshell from those, but it is pathetic of the man to leave himself so open to criticism in this regard.

Congress does have the power to ask for tax records, quite explicitly and within precedent, plus it's ironic that Treasury is apparently very quickly giving the GOP some docs about Hunter Biden. I guess fishing expeditions are okay when it's the Republicans asking for stuff? It's almost hilarious to see the double standard.

If anything, expect the future of U.S politics to get worse. If a Republican president is somehow elected in the future, Democrats will just start an impeachment trial on day one.
I love the hypocrisy and/or amnesia implied here...after several Republicans were already saying they would impeach Hillary during the 2016 campaign.

Last edited:

DV27

Jun 14, 2010
This, along with the Democrat infighting, is just embolding Trump's support and making a landslide later this year more likely.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
Trump won't be president forever, so he won't always have the power of the office saving his ass, and has waddled in enough dirt that some will stick.

In other words, he isn't a perfect president who has done nothing wrong. He certainly wasn't a perfect businessman or human being beforehand either.

For the sake of historical accuracy, I look forward to the eventual declassification of the various administration documents that Trump doesn't want to release.
No President is perfect. What you said applies to any administration. I have no doubt he isn’t that great of a human being. The character attacks aren’t really that important here.

That's missing the forest for the trees. Mueller stated there was no collusion with Russia, but he was quite detailed about acts of obstruction in his report.

Whether it is wise of Congress to take action on the subject right now is one thing, fair enough, but they certainly have the power and the authority to do so.
I am looking at these situations as a former Democrat that has been pushed away from the party. Congress may have the power (we will find out) but the guy has already testified for 30 hours and it is in the Mueller report. I think further pursuing someone possibly attempting to shut down an investigation everyone knew was garbage years after people has moved on is foolish.

Not in the eyes of the Senate, but it may have an effect on voters (not exclusively for registered Democrats) who did in fact want to hear from him and other witnesses.
Asking “would you like more witnesses” is a leading question. It doesn’t explain which witnesses those polled want. Surely not all of them are Bolton. When I hear the question myself I would answer yes. Sure, why not? I don’t really care that I haven’t heard from them in the end. We’ve already heard the “explosive” content from Bolton and it didn’t move the needle. Further dragging this out seems foolish.

I'd say the real pettiness lies in his stubborn-as-a-mule refusal to release them, when many other candidates and presidents have done it.

I don't necessarily expect a bombshell from those, but it is pathetic of the man to leave himself so open to criticism in this regard.

Congress does have the power to ask for tax records, quite explicitly and within precedent, plus it's ironic that Treasury is apparently very quickly giving the GOP some docs about Hunter Biden. I guess fishing expeditions are okay when it's the Republicans asking for stuff? It's almost hilarious to see the double standard.
There is nothing requiring the release of tax returns. It is a more recent thing Presidents have done. He runs a big business so he may have reason for not wanting to. I don’t run a business myself so I’m not sure what info might be in there. Voters didn’t care. I don’t think Congress has the right the just demand someone’s tax returns. That’s why it is in court.

With Hunter we have records of large payments flowing into his accounts. But, I also think it is unwise for the Republican Senate to look further into this themselves. Both sides should probably come to a truce, drop all these investigations until the election and do something useful like an infrastructure bill. That will never happen though.

As I mentioned above I used to be a Democrat. None of this stuff is doing anything to win me back as a voter. Pelosi promised to work on healthcare, infrastructure, etc. All she has done is storm out of meetings after getting Twitter pictures of her waving her finger in Trump’s face for resistance points and open up a bunch of waste of time investigations.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018

I love the hypocrisy and/or amnesia implied here...after several Republicans were already saying they would impeach Hillary during the 2016 campaign.
Don't you see you guys are hurting the country? You're not hurting Trump, he thinks it's funny. These guys are like compulsive gamblers that are penniless because each time they go back just sure that they're gonna hit the three cherries and then they're bumming it on people's couches and eating ramen until they can save up enough to do it again. Youtube proves that there is some value in watching people do stupid shit, but this joke isn't funny anymore. Democrats need to do their goddamned jobs and stop fucking around hoping to score points after they've taken 364 roundhouses to the head from Rex Kwon Do. Off the top of my head, if Democrats weren't out trying to fuck Trump, they might've oh, I don't know... caught the Iowa caucus fuck up in advance and made sure the votes got counted. If they were as obsessed with legislating as much as they were inflicting political payback on Trump and hurting the country, they'd be the best congress in history.

Last edited:

Mohonky

Jan 19, 2007
They arent quite getting this are they. They try to catch him on something, he slips through like an oiled up piglet; and his base love him even more for it.

Maybe start working on policy and what you know, you can do better; give the people something to vote for rather than 'at least its not Trump' because thats worked out so well so far.

dionysus

Yaldog
May 12, 2007
Texaa
They want their speaking point to be "the only president in US history to be impeached twice"
Since all it takes is a simple majority they should impeach him every day. Tomorrow's impeachment could be because Schiff thinks he is going to sell Alaska back to the Russians.

Edit. Trump should play 4D chess and ask foreign governments to investigate Ilhan Omar's immigration fraud with her brother, Hillary's sale of uranium to Russia right after receiving Clinton foundation donations, Elizabeth Warren's Son-in-law's film being funded by Iran, etc. That way the media can report on it as a new cause for impeachment yet their viewers are thinking "wtf, that sounds corrupt."

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2019
No surprise there. This is probably the most sane thing about the Left (not saying much).

Despite the immorality and wounds to the country, constantly embroiling your political opponent in scandal is a form of early campaigning, and not a terrible strategy. Essentially for the left, election season never ended in 2016.

The idea is to convert ignorant, low-information voters (so, most of them) to their side, via a constant multimedia deluge of misinformation. If every point of contact with Trump is bad, and nobody looks further into these easily exposed bits of slander, it’ll drown out anything good, and leave a lasting impression.

The interesting thing is that it doesn’t seem to be working out that way. People seem to be catching on. I think they’ve overextended on this, and pushed too far.

Madonis

Oct 21, 2018
As I mentioned above I used to be a Democrat. None of this stuff is doing anything to win me back as a voter. Pelosi promised to work on healthcare, infrastructure, etc. All she has done is storm out of meetings after getting Twitter pictures of her waving her finger in Trump’s face for resistance points and open up a bunch of waste of time investigations.
I have to wonder whether that "former" status means you will now endorse the continuation of conservative policies across the board as a good thing by default then.

I am sure you know that two sides are necessary in order to make a deal. The House has already passed plenty of bills that the Senate doesn't even want to open up for debate, long before the impeachment process. I'm not talking about approval, just debate.

Do you believe they are all bad bills from top to bottom? Certainly not. Especially if you are not some kind of conservative ideologue in every field of policy (in that case, just letting the bills automatically fade away with no debate would be consistent with such absolute adherence to right-wing beliefs).

I don’t think Congress has the right the just demand someone’s tax returns. That’s why it is in court.
There's actually a legal provision for it. See 6103(f)(2), if you want to read it for yourself.

Trump challenging it doesn't mean the provision doesn't exist or was suddenly invented by the Democrats.

Don't you see you guys are hurting the country? You're not hurting Trump, he thinks it's funny. These guys are like compulsive gamblers that are penniless because each time they go back just sure that they're gonna hit the three cherries and then they're bumming it on people's couches and eating ramen until they can save up enough to do it again. Youtube proves that there is some value in watching people do stupid shit, but this joke isn't funny anymore. Democrats need to do their goddamned jobs and stop fucking around hoping to score points after they've taken 364 roundhouses to the head from Rex Kwon Do. Off the top of my head, if Democrats weren't out trying to fuck Trump, they might've oh, I don't know... caught the Iowa caucus fuck up in advance and made sure the votes got counted. If they were as obsessed with legislating as much as they were inflicting political payback on Trump and hurting the country, they'd be the best congress in history.
Depends. Did you think Republicans were also hurting the country when they spent a ton of time going after Benghazi, the e-mails, etc? That wasn't exactly decades ago.

I think you're projecting there...because Trump overreacts far too much for me to believe he thinks it's simply funny or somehow doesn't let anything get to him.

Again...I don't know if you've noticed, but a lot of legislation has been passed by the House even before impeachment was a thing. If it hasn't moved forward, that's because the Senate majority doesn't wish to do anything with it. Also, the House has also found the time to vote on some things that Trump supports, like the new trade agreement he negotiated. Hell, they've been criticized for that by their own base too.

Bringing up Iowa is quite a deflection, because responsibility for that mess is an entirely local matter.

Last edited:

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
They poison pill plenty of those bills. Now the narrative is you are a bad actor for not playing along. There have been bi-partisan bills that have made it through. If you expect the other party to pass legislation with a bunch of garbage in it just because you have enough votes to ram it through the house you are a naive fool or dishonest or both.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
I have to wonder whether that "former" status means you will now endorse the continuation of conservative policies across the board as a good thing by default then.

I am sure you know that two sides are necessary in order to make a deal. The House has already passed plenty of bills that the Senate doesn't even want to open up for debate, long before the impeachment process. I'm not talking about approval, just debate.

Do you believe they are all bad bills from top to bottom? Certainly not. Especially if you are not some kind of conservative ideologue in every field of policy (in that case, just letting the bills automatically fade away with no debate would be consistent with such absolute adherence to right-wing beliefs).

There's actually a legal provision for it. See 6103(f)(2), if you want to read it for yourself.

A few months ago I read about a bunch of the bills that are “stuck” in the Senate. A lot of them sounded nice on paper, but as you start to dig into them they have a lot of weird things mixed in. Republicans need some adjustments before they can start to be on board with these things. If no one is willing to compromise and make some initial adjustments that could then lead to the start of a debate then the bill gets stuck. There are also a number of bills that started in the Senate that have never been brought up in the house. I’ll concede a bit here and say I doubt either side is perfect and both probably play games a bit. I would hope that on bigger, bipartisan issues we could see both sides come together rather then storming out of meetings. There’s no reason they couldn’t have gotten infrastructure done.

Thanks for the link. I’ll have to read up on that more. My assumption is congress requires a valid reason to request tax returns. It would strike me as dangerous if they could just request them. I’ll have to read more when I have time though.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Depends. Did you think Republicans were also hurting the country when they spent a ton of time going after Benghazi, the e-mails, etc? That wasn't exactly decades ago.

I think you're projecting there...because Trump overreacts far too much for me to believe he thinks it's simply funny or somehow doesn't let anything get to him.

Again...I don't know if you've noticed, but a lot of legislation has been passed by the House even before impeachment was a thing. If it hasn't moved forward, that's because the Senate majority doesn't wish to do anything with it. Also, the House has also found the time to vote on some things that Trump supports, like the new trade agreement he negotiated. Hell, they've been criticized for that by their own base too.

Bringing up Iowa is quite a deflection, because responsibility for that mess is an entirely local matter.
People died in Benghazi after we invaded a country and denied funds to the embassy after multiple requests for it. I don't think the two are similar in any way. I would compare it to the Clinton impeachment and would say, yes, they absolutely did hurt the country. They also paid a horrible political price for doing so, which I believe will be another similarity here shortly. The difference here, of course, is that Clinton actually committed a crime, copped to it, and was disbarred for it. Your side has called for Trump's impeachment before he ever stepped a foot in the White House. Your side has used op research to falsely paint him as a Russian operative (and still does lol!) and dragged the country through over 2 years of bullshit over it. Then came impeachment from the Ukraine call. Then came the emoluments suit where 200 democrats in congress tried to say he was benefitting illegally from his presidency which just got tossed out on its ass. If we are going to talk about projecting and deflecting, I think you are doing a fair bit of your own here, because it is obvious even to the most casual observer that your side has been hurting the country by constantly, openly, habitually attacking the president. And to be fair, they openly stated they were going to, and they're still vowing to continue on with it now.

As for legislation, that's what happens when you have a divided government. Only bipartisan stuff gets through, or that's the idea anyway. My point was that if your side were to spend all that time and energy attacking Trump and funnel it into something good, something tangible maybe the Democrats wouldn't look like such fuckups. But if it makes you feel better to think that what they're doing is working, by all means carry on.

And Trump is Trump, but when other people try to be Trump, they fail. It's just like Biden calling the lady a dog-faced pony soldier... I think he was trying to be funny, trying to pull shit off like Trump does. But you can't be the master. Trump's entire SOTU was not only designed to elucidate the state of our union, but also to needle dems, and it worked brilliantly. Fools are still triggered about Limbaugh and Pelosi fucking lost it and shredded the speech, causing even Democrats to openly castigate her in the halls afterward. Maybe Trump doesn't find it funny, but I sure do, and I have a hard time believing he doesn't. I believe it hurt him when they targeted his family, but as far as personally? No, I don't think he cares at all if Democrats like him or not. Not a bit.

Reactions: JORMBO

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
People died in Benghazi after we invaded a country and denied funds to the embassy after multiple requests for it. I don't think the two are similar in any way. I would compare it to the Clinton impeachment and would say, yes, they absolutely did hurt the country. They also paid a horrible political price for doing so, which I believe will be another similarity here shortly. The difference here, of course, is that Clinton actually committed a crime, copped to it, and was disbarred for it. Your side has called for Trump's impeachment before he ever stepped a foot in the White House. Your side has used op research to falsely paint him as a Russian operative (and still does lol!) and dragged the country through over 2 years of bullshit over it. Then came impeachment from the Ukraine call. Then came the emoluments suit where 200 democrats in congress tried to say he was benefitting illegally from his presidency which just got tossed out on its ass. If we are going to talk about projecting and deflecting, I think you are doing a fair bit of your own here, because it is obvious even to the most casual observer that your side has been hurting the country by constantly, openly, habitually attacking the president. And to be fair, they openly stated they were going to, and they're still vowing to continue on with it now.

As for legislation, that's what happens when you have a divided government. Only bipartisan stuff gets through, or that's the idea anyway. My point was that if your side were to spend all that time and energy attacking Trump and funnel it into something good, something tangible maybe the Democrats wouldn't look like such fuckups. But if it makes you feel better to think that what they're doing is working, by all means carry on.

And Trump is Trump, but when other people try to be Trump, they fail. It's just like Biden calling the lady a dog-faced pony soldier... I think he was trying to be funny, trying to pull shit off like Trump does. But you can't be the master. Trump's entire SOTU was not only designed to elucidate the state of our union, but also to needle dems, and it worked brilliantly. Fools are still triggered about Limbaugh and Pelosi fucking lost it and shredded the speech, causing even Democrats to openly castigate her in the halls afterward. Maybe Trump doesn't find it funny, but I sure do, and I have a hard time believing he doesn't. I believe it hurt him when they targeted his family, but as far as personally? No, I don't think he cares at all if Democrats like him or not. Not a bit.
But they said "he will not divide us" so how can they be the ones dividing? :pie_thinking:

Madonis

Oct 21, 2018
A few months ago I read about a bunch of the bills that are “stuck” in the Senate. A lot of them sounded nice on paper, but as you start to dig into them they have a lot of weird things mixed in. Republicans need some adjustments before they can start to be on board with these things. If no one is willing to compromise and make some initial adjustments that could then lead to the start of a debate then the bill gets stuck. There are also a number of bills that started in the Senate that have never been brought up in the house. I’ll concede a bit here and say I doubt either side is perfect and both probably play games a bit. I would hope that on bigger, bipartisan issues we could see both sides come together rather then storming out of meetings. There’s no reason they couldn’t have gotten infrastructure done.

Thanks for the link. I’ll have to read up on that more. My assumption is congress requires a valid reason to request tax returns. It would strike me as dangerous if they could just request them. I’ll have to read more when I have time though.
Thing is, the way that the U.S. Congress is supposed to work...Senators can still debate the House bills and make modifications. The legislative process allows both chambers to approve their own versions and continue negotiating in order to reconcile the eventual differences between both sets of bills, rather than expecting a perfect compromise right from the start. In other words, the House and the Senate don't really need to have a full initial agreement about the contents of legislation (although that would obviously make things move faster). But the increasingly common practice of simply letting bills fall into obscurity without any debates, votes or amendments throws a wrench into this process.

Admittedly, we live in an age where bipartisanship is often seen as a form of weakness, whether by progressives or by conservatives, because if you have to give up on some part of your agenda in order to get the rest of the bill passed then that means you're either losing or selling out. End result: deadlock and inaction.

I will once again point out how Republicans called for Hillary's impeachment and blocking her nominees if she won, so the GOP is hypocritical and cynical about that subject.

My point is Republicans gave the Benghazi matter (and, as I also mentioned, the whole e-mails fiasco) a disproportionate amount of attention. They held more than 30 hearings, including some behind closed doors (apparently that was totally fine in the opinion of the GOP back then...yet another double standard). They wanted Hillary's head, figuratively speaking, and ended up with nothing. She was also willing to personally testify and did so for hours without falling into a perjury trap (as opposed to Donald, who probably would fall and slip right into those due to all his boasting and egotism).

You seem to suggest absolutely everything said about Trump is bullshit and imply he has done nothing wrong at all. A few exaggerated accusations may have been proven completely wrong, like the Russian operative claim, but others remain supported by the evidence or are still open-ended. For example, the emoluments suit was "tossed out" due to procedural concerns, which can be fixed, not on the merits of the accusation. That's not exoneration.

Most people actually liked Bill Clinton at the time of his trial and thus he had far more support than Trump did during his impeachment. Lying about having sex may be a crime, but not one that most people considered to be a big deal. It was seen as more of a private than public matter. Which is why you had many Republicans trying (and failing) to make it a moral case, not just focusing on the criminal aspect.

I'm indifferent to the shredding. I wouldn't do it, but Trump is probably the last person who should expect or demand any civility at this point.

That's because Limbaugh, though I might wish for his recovery as a matter of purely human empathy, was essentially a sensationalist shock jock.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I hope the democrats implode and bring the republicans with them.
Already happened on the Republican side. Peering into the history of the Tea Party movement should illuminate my claim.

Trump and Sanders were both the anti-establishment candidates for their respective party back in 2016, the only difference was that Republicans begrudgingly let Trump through (since he won fair and square) while the DNC outright cheated Sanders. The high attrition rate of Trump's cabinet (remember when this was reported on the regular as a symptom of Trump's incompetency?) should be another symptom that Trump was a sea change for Republicans.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Feb 19, 2018
Already happened on the Republican side.
Yeah the last four years of derangement from the left has been really REALLY good for the GOP. The transformation is clear as day. They used to be pathetic, spineless and for the establishment, just like the left is now (but of course, they've grown a cancerous Marxist tumor as well). But these days the Republicans are focused as a team, energized and relatively effective. I hope this energy stays with them for a long time.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Yeah the last four years of derangement from the left has been really REALLY good for the GOP. The transformation is clear as day. They used to be pathetic, spineless and for the establishment, just like the left is now (but of course, they've grown a cancerous Marxist tumor as well). But these days the Republicans are focused as a team, energized and relatively effective. I hope this energy stays with them for a long time.
The petulant behavior from the McCain and Romney types makes it pretty clear to me that the Bush-era Republicans are on their way out, but like any political party there is always a risk for corruption from a different angle.

Reactions: DeepEnigma
Jun 26, 2013
The petulant behavior from the McCain and Romney types makes it pretty clear to me that the Bush-era Republicans are on their way out, but like any political party there is always a risk for corruption from a different angle.
Also look at how differently Romney and Trump reacted when they were hit with accusations of sexism during their presidential campaigns. Romney bent over after the media blasted him for his "binders full of women" comment. In contrast, Trump stood his ground and did not admit guilt. Heck, the media hounded on Trump way more than they did on Romney.

Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

AFreekinKing

Formerly 'Off Duty Ninja'
Apr 18, 2014
P-Town
I like Booty Gig even if it's a bit on the nose.

And of course the Dems are gonna try to run a train on Trump between now and the election. Nonstop probing is really all they really do at this point.