• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers S3 |OT| The End Is Near - Premieres Sunday 4/16, 9pm on HBO

17352396_1879561498948603_2698118127103969927_n.png

Here we are, folks. The end of the road for one of the most critically acclaimed HBO shows in quite some time. After the Sudden Departure on October the 14th, we've followed the Garvey family from misery in Mapleton, NY, to a spark of hope Jarden, Texas, to God knows what awaits us in Australia this season. I know I speak for most of us when I say I am ready for this show to emotionally devastate me one last time, and I'll accept absolutely nothing less.

Trailers/Media:
1st Teaser- Don't Worry, Baby

2nd Teaser- "Please be sure to keep your seatbelts fastened, as everything you know and love will soon be gone!"

Full trailer- "I'm not saying you are but...the beard looks good on you."

The final season will consist of 8 episodes, premiering on 4/16 (Easter Sunday!) and running through June 4th. 7 of 8 episode titles have been released, but I'm spoiler tagging them below just in case.

Episode 1:
"The Book of Kevin"
Episode 2:
"Don't Be Ridiculous"
Episode 3:
"Crazy Whitefella Thinking"
Episode 4:
"G'Day Melbourne"
Episode 5:
"It's a Matt, Matt, Matt, Matt World"
Episode 6:
"Certified"
Episode 7:
"The Most Powerful Man in the World (and His Identical Twin Brother)"
Episode 8:
"The Book of Nora"

The music selection is something that's been super special throughout the show's run, so I went and pulled together a few links to the songs that have meant something to the characters and us, the viewers over the last few seasons:
Season 1
Nothing Else Matters by Apocalyptica

Season 2:
Let the Mystery Be

Where is my Mind?

Nabucco: Va Pensiero (Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves)

and the GOAT: Homeward Bound by Simon and Garfunkel

So now, let's all kick back, relax, and let the end of the world wash over us.

Special thanks to Bits N Pieces for the subtitle, and The Odd One for being very cool with some thread confusion yesterday.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Today I literally said to myself "Oh man, Big Little Lies and Homeland are done for the season. Guess I won't have anything to watch on Sundays for awhile." And now this thread just reminded me how not true that is.

Thanks for the thread. Checking in for week to week viewing. I binged Season 1 and caught up to Season 2 right near the end. The latter was a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Here's to one more season of overbearing melodrama packed with unearned emotional beats. Also, that one piano song that is played 6 times every episode.

Yesss! My favorite show. Can't wait for my friends to bitch at me about "where's da answers!?" and see them miss the point entirely. Few shows have captured profound grief and loss like this one has. Loved how they switched the setting for each season.

Hype.

"Ryan McGee‏
@TVMcGee
The cool thing about #TheLeftovers S3 is how it's the best show of 2017 so far and I can't see anything topping it."

https://twitter.com/TVMcGee/status/850829018484158464

There was another review talking about how the theme of the world in the show being ready to "fucking explode" and all the simmering anger the characters possessed didn't fully translate to the world as it was in 2014/15, whereas now, we are 100% there. Ready to explode.

T Dollarz

This will be my first season watching live, seeing as I just binged the first two last summer. It really is one of the best I've seen. I already liked the first season and then the second was just a whole different level. Having this, The Americans, Fargo and Better Call Saul airing at the same time is almost too much to handle. That's like 4 hall of fame series right there.

Going back to the licensed music I mentioned in the OP, even with the two trailers, they've already hit two home runs with The Beach Boys and ABBA. Can't wait to see what else they have up their sleeves.

Also, I am desperately hoping the title of episode 2 is a Perfect Strangers reference, and that they pay off the Mark Lynn Baker faking his departure running gag from the first two seasons.

Is a rewatch worth it before the season starts? Not sure if I've got the time to do it in a week though.

I wouldn't say the whole season but after watching International Assassin and the finale I was shocked how much several of those scenes still landed with me, and landed very heavily in the finales case.

fade_

Can't mention the music without giving Max Richter props for the score. Beautiful modern classical vibe.

Arkeband

Banned
The wife and I powered through both seasons and loved them but at the end of the second season (and especially after seeing the preview for the third) we both think it may have jumped the shark. It seems to be focusing less on how people deal with a supernatural event and now more with creating its own universe of supernatural lore. I was totally fine with not being explained what happened on October 14th, but this almost seems worse to me.

Still, beautiful cinematography and endlessly watchable, I just really don't know how I feel about it now that it's edging into LOST territory.

hank_tree

The wife and I powered through both seasons and loved them but at the end of the second season (and especially after seeing the preview for the third) we both think it may have jumped the shark. It seems to be focusing less on how people deal with a supernatural event and now more with creating its own universe of supernatural lore. I was totally fine with not being explained what happened on October 14th, but this almost seems worse to me.

Still, beautiful cinematography and endlessly watchable, I just really don't know how I feel about it now that it's edging into LOST territory.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. What Supernatural stuff in season 2? I may have forgotten.

Arkeband

Banned
I'm not sure what you are talking about. What Supernatural stuff in season 2? I may have forgotten.

The fortune teller guy knows things he absolutely cannot know, and the main character has died and came back to life twice. And judging by the previews for the third season he's gonna do it a few more times.

It's basically gone from "humanity copes with a supernatural event" to "Louis Theroux's handsome cousin becomes Kratos".

spyder_ur

I find myself pretty excited for this to come back. I enjoyed Season 2 very much. Might have to rewatch a couple of the later episodes to remind me where we are.

Still, 'one of the most critically acclaimed HBO shows in quite some time' seems like a pretty big stretch.

Theorry

Just watched the "international assassin" episode again. One of the best hour of television in the last 10 years. Its still so good.

More reviews!

Epstein: “The Leftovers” creator asked critics not to binge the new season, but it was too good not to
I agree: Binge-watching turns the joy of TV viewing into a chore, a mission to be accomplished rather than a work of art to be examined. So I tried to heed Lindelof’s advice. I really did. But if he didn’t want critics to binge the third (and final) season of The Leftovers, then he shouldn’t have made such a stunning and audacious season of television.

Unlike with his previous show, Lost, the desire—the compulsion—to binge-watch The Leftovers comes not from needing the answers to ongoing mysteries, but from wondering how on Earth the show can continue to one-up itself creatively again and again. The series, about the aftermath of an apocalyptic event in which 2% of the world’s population disappears, is never, ever complacent about its own storytelling. Each episode is a reawakening, a daring reorientation of characters or setting, and they’re all building towards something world-changing.

Scott Glenn gets an episode and it's apparently fantastic:
The biggest treat of all, though, is veteran Scott Glenn (Kevin’s father), who gets an episode all to himself and I suspect will be on many Emmy voters’ short lists come awards season. He gives the finest 50 minutes of acting I’ve seen on television since Mad Men and Breaking Bad went off the air.

Deadline: ‘The Leftovers’ Final Season Review: HBO Drama Departs With Greatness
Having started out in 2014 as a successful adaptation of Tom Perrotta’s 2011 novel, the April 16-debuting third and final season of HBO’s The Leftovers has officially achieved television greatness. Simply put, the eight-episode last run of the series executive produced by Damon Lindelof and Perrotta is a moving and powerful piece of American art that leaves nothing on the table.

Kubrick comparisons:
Excellent and sometimes gut-retching performances by Justin Theroux, Carrie Coon, Liv Tyler, Regina King, Christopher Eccleston, Jovan Adepo, Amy Brenneman, Jasmin Savoy Brown and Scott Glenn and more superb directing from the likes of Mimi Leder and Craig Zobel seemingly set the third season’s coordinates for the ethos of late-period Stanley Kubrick. The cumulative result for the final season pretty much achieves that destination, a tremendous triumph by any measure on the small or big screen.

TV Fanatic: The Leftovers Season 3 Review: Masterful, Emotionally Rewarding Journey
The Leftovers Season 3 is outstanding. It takes Season 2 and masterfully builds upon the characters' emotional backgrounds, giving them more depth and taking their journeys to stunning, unpredictable places with great reward.

Without seeing the final episode, it's the best concluding chapter to a television series in recent memory. There's not a stone unturned on the fearless journey to what I expect will be a magnificent ending.

I'm so fucking glad Scott Glenn is back. He was so great in season 1, and judging by the scene with him and Theroux in the trailer, this is going to be something special.

Top Bottom