• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legacy of Kain - Remembering past games, imagining future ones.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Snowden said:
There's a compilation floating around the net that compiles every major cutscene from SR through Defiance and intercuts them with bits of gameplay footage for continuity. Quality wasn't the greatest, but as a means of enjoying the full story without having to go through and play all the games over, it served its purpose admirably.

OMG if someone could find this for me.....

Well thanks to this thread, i just wanted to point out that i've gone and purchased all the games i didn't already own from the franchise off of ebay. I really only played Soul Reaver 1 on PSOne partially before i got distracted. I remember liking what i played though. I've purchased the DC version of SR 1, and the rest of the titles on the playstation systems (for b/c purposes)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Just chiming in to say that with Square now owning them I'm hoping they pick this series up again.

jlchoi

Neo Member
I really enjoyed the intricacy of the story in Soul Reaver 2 with the plot twists. They did leave it open for sequels with the ending in Defiance, but I'm not going to lose sleep worrying whether or not that'll happen. I'd rather have them leave the series as it is, rather than producing inferior follow-ups especially with the voice of the Elder God gone.

Shai-Tan

Banned
A dude named Joudas has had most of the series up on youtube for a few years now. The gameplay was never very good but if you do want to play it I would recommend watching up until Soul Reaver 1, then playing the remaining games as the older titles have issues running on newer hardware/os configurations.

This should be a no brainer for Square-Enix. It has to be Eidos' strongest license. They didn't buy that company just to get another production facility running. They can can find cheap teams anywhere to farm out their own license to. They bought Eidos for the IP and this is the best one. It's just a question of "how soon."

Tomb Raider is probably dead for now after the poor performance of the last game. So the next best bet is Legacy of Kain.

Snowden said:
There's a compilation floating around the net that compiles every major cutscene from SR through Defiance and intercuts them with bits of gameplay footage for continuity. Quality wasn't the greatest, but as a means of enjoying the full story without having to go through and play all the games over, it served its purpose admirably.

DarienA said:
OMG if someone could find this for me.....

I have found the channel for you. These tell the story of each LOK game, with all cutscenes and some small samples of gameplay to convey continuity.

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver 2

Some great memories in there.

Soul Reaver 2 is the one I played and man did I love the hell out of it. Why can't we have new awesome gothic art driven games?

AntMurda

My dream is for Crystal Dynamics to remake Blood Omen 1 in 3D. I think that is the best conceptual game in the series.

However I do have a lot of love for the super awesome Soul Reaver 2.

Soul Reaver 1 had a cool FMV intro and some cool boss battles. But that's it. The decrepit nosgoth was one generic repeating scenery that really was boring. The endless block puzzles were horrible as well.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I can't for the life of me get soul reaver working on windows 7 x64. Anyone have any tips?

I love the franchise, I started with the first way back in the PS1 days and fell in love. Soul Reaver was the high point, at its time it was so brilliant. After that it started to falter, SR2 was a huge disappointment to me. BO2 sucked. Defiance was a cool change, but it still never reached the heights of the first two.

I plan to replay the first two some time this year. I really hope LoK comes out on the PSN store, its been rated since forever. I have the game but I hope the PSN version will reduce load times.

Hands down, one of my favorite series. It's a shame Blood Omen 2 was not up to snuff. Regardless, Defiance while not amazing, definitely filled in some necessary plot points and had it's high notes. We NEED a new game or a revamping of the series (no pun intended).

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
I remember watching Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame when I was a kid. I remember thinking that the main villain of the movie sounded familiar. It wasn't until I watched the credits that it hit me, Tony Jay voiced the character. Mind blown.

Kittonwy

Banned
Snowden said:
If you like blocks :p

Anybody should like blocks unless he or she choked on one as a kid.
Indifferent2.gif

I bought Blood Omen when they put it up on PSN a couple of weeks ago, having been curious to play the game since the PSX days, but never having gotten around to it. The general mechanics and atmosphere are still there (about an hour in at this point), but holy shit that mid-90s CG artstyle looks terrible. Contrast that to how Zelda: LTTP or even the original LoZ still look great.

I was also somewhat amused to see that it was a Silicon Knights game and has Dennis Dyack's name all over the credits.

only played soul reaver and soul reaver 2. the first was epic and one of my fave games, but the second seemed awkward and controls felt different somehow. wasn't that into it. hit a puzzle wall and haven't played since.

a nextgen remake of the first is all i would ever want. as long as the narrator squid god dude's voice is the same. (voice actor died, so just reuse the files)

AntMurda

I was always hoping they woul redo the Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen. That game was a masterpiece.

I love Soul Reaver 2, and Defiance is good too. But Nosgoth was just never the same after Blood Omen. It was just a boring repetitive looking background or two with one or two freaking NPCs doing their rendition of hamlet.

oracrest

So happy to see that Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain was added to PSN. Downloaded it yesterday and have been playing through again. The load times are a lot better, and the zoom out in game doesn't seem to slow everything down like it used to.

This was my PS1 system seller game.

I always thought this one was just a great standalone game. The sequels were done well (especially Soul Reaver II which ties up a lot of the loose ends of the original, and re-visits some key moments),

but... I always thought the sequels were missing something the original had. I think it was the down to earth nature of the whole story, and writing. Legacy of Kain had a much more grounded world than the others, just some vampires and other undead in a Germanic medieval landscape. The others were too thesaurus-fest for my tastes. Kain originally sounded like a well learned nobleman, but the characters in the other games seemed like the dialogue was trying way to hard.

Blood-Omen-Legacy-of-Kain-PSX.jpg

Majestros

You can't handle the truth!
The only one i haven't played is the original, but i already know the entire storyline so i never had a reason to play it. I mean, i remember trying the PC demo and stuff, so i got a sense of what it felt like but i'm more partial to Raziel anyway.

Two things i wanted to share. First, i actually recorded a couple of combo clips from LoK Defiance way back in the day:

Week-One Combos: Legacy of Kain: Defiance

It's only a minute long but it might be worth watching for anyone who plans on replaying the game. The wavedashing trick makes the boring parts go by much faster.

Second, i randomly found an illustration of Raziel by Akiman, the famous Capcom artist. It's not on his website anymore but it's still accessible through web.archive.org:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040204222026/http://www12.big.or.jp/~akiman/index.html

I dunno, i thought it was badass.

Booser

I remember playing the original Blood Omen on the PC years ago, one of the first PC games I played. Almost bought BO2 once for the gamecube purely out of nostalgia. I'd definately be interested in a remake or reboot of the series.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Mama Robotnik said:
Soul Reaver was a marvel, creating a non-linear world of exploration, secrets, and upgrade-based progression well in advance of Metroid Prime. The game introduced puzzle-specific combat, real-time shifting between the worlds of life-and-death, and abolished loading-times. These advances coupled with the series' strong art, sound and plot, formed a stellar experience. The only flaw in the production is the cliffhanger ending, blatantly attached to an unfinished game.

Is this implying Prime began upgrade based progression? I love Soul Reaver, and it's my favorite in the series, but it's basically Zelda reskinned with vampires. Other than decent writing it was very a paint by numbers Zelda clone. Even a Link to the Past did the whole light and dark world puzzles.

Bump for three reasons, and a reply:

(1) On Eidos Official Forum, the Administrator has a thread up asking for the userbases' favourite franchise, for the purposes of "data collection". If probably wont make a difference, but if you have an account and feel the inclination, drop in a vote for LOK.

(2) Over in Poland, they've recently announced the release of a Legacy of Kain: Anthology if anyone is interested.

1184.jpg

Whoever publishes the games in this part of Europe must thinks there's a market for them still, which I suppose is something positive.

(3) If anyone missed it, in a recent IndustryGamers interview with Amy Hennig, Amy gave some insight into the current state of the franchise, and Crystal Dynamics/Eidos' affection for it:

IG: Finally, before we wrap, I wanted to ask you about Legacy of Kain, since I'm personally a fan of that series. I realize you can't speak for Eidos, but do you think we'll ever see that franchise again? Did you want to continue work on it?

AH: Well anything I would say is complete speculation because I've been away from Crystal Dynamics for six years now, but I felt like I got to do what I wanted to do. Do I feel like I got cutoff midstream? No, I'm the one that left and joined Naughty Dog, and I knew in the middle of development on Defiance that I was going to leave and join Naughty Dog. So I was wrapping up my story.

All I can tell you is that Eidos and Crystal Dynamics legitimately love that franchise. If anyone thinks it's sort of been thrown in the dustbin without any thought or care, that's not the case at all. I know they would love to revive it when the time is right and resources are there. I'm sure it's something they talk about; whether it'll ever happen I don't know. I think it would have to be reinvented a bit at this point. If I was magically there working on it, I would look at it that way too – you have to look at it from the perspective of the marketplace and the audience. You can't necessarily craft things for a fan audience because you'll end up with a niche product. But I think they still see the franchise as a valuable IP in their stable, and they're just waiting for the right time to do something with it.

I know they're solely focused on Tomb Raider right now, and they're not a huge studio, but who knows if Eidos/Square Enix would consider outsourcing it. [Editor's note: We reached out to Eidos for comment on LoK, but have not yet heard back.]

All speculation, but combined with the many LOK easter-eggs in Tomb Raider, its raises hopes that the series hasn't been completely forgotten.

(4) And a reply:

Galactic Fork said:
Is this implying Prime began upgrade based progression? I love Soul Reaver, and it's my favorite in the series, but it's basically Zelda reskinned with vampires. Other than decent writing it was very a paint by numbers Zelda clone. Even a Link to the Past did the whole light and dark world puzzles.

No, its just that Soul Reaver's non-linear exploration of a ruined, hostile world reminds me very much of Metroid Prime. Given the freedom of exploration, the emphasis on atmosphere (especially in audio), the distinctly-different non-cliche environments, and more subtle ability-based progression than say Zelda, I feel that SR and MP are very similar games.

By using the Metroid Prime comparison, I was attempting to highlight how many of Prime's nuances of brilliance can be also found in Soul Reaver.

nny

I love Soul Reaver, but never played any of the other games...maybe I should try one of them...or replay Soul Reaver, it's been a while.

Oneself

nny said:
I love Soul Reaver, but never played any of the other games...maybe I should try one of them...or replay Soul Reaver, it's been a while.

I love Soul Reaver, it's easily part of my favorite games of all time.. but the others, not so much. In fact, I don't know if I would even rent them.

nny said:

Blood Omen is on PSN, it plays like a 2D Zelda except in a much darker, voice acted world of secrets. If you can get past the load times, its a cracking game.

Oneself said:
I love Soul Reaver, it's easily part of my favorite games of all time.. but the others, not so much. In fact, I don't know if I would even rent them.

I feel that Soul Reaver 2 is buyworthy, absolutely. Its a good game. Defiance is buyworthy if you're a diehard fan, and rentworthy otherwise. Blood Omen 2 is best left unmentioned.

watership

I love Blood Omen and Soul Reaver 1 the best of this franchise. They were just so well done and serious. Really stood out at the time. Trying to explain the timeline of the story to a friend reminded me how bat-shit complex it is.

wRATH2x

Banned
I know Mama will hate me for this, but I fucking loved Blood Omen 2 back in the day. I also loved what I played of Soul Reaver. I wish I played the whole series though.

Mama Robotnik said:
Blood Omen is on PSN, it plays like a 2D Zelda except in a much darker, voice acted world of secrets. If you can get past the load times, its a cracking game.

OMG bump redeemed

Obligatory RIP Elder God.

Enosh

forget CD

give the rights to the LoK name to Naughty Dog and have them do a LoK game :D

also LoK is the only series ever for which I wrote fucking fan fiction :lol
it was in german and was on the lok.de fansite for quite a while, think they removed it by now

Lard

Banned
I found my copy of Blood Omen years ago at a K-Mart for five bucks.

:D

I love this series. When I think of vampires, Kain is the one that comes to mind first now, as the representative example of bastardness a vampire should be.

Since the thread is already bumped (yeah, by me, I know), I just saw this on another forum.

janosaion.jpg

Left - Ancients in LOK; Right - Asmodians in Aion Online (a PC MMORPG). Both ancient races, locked in an endless war with their ancient enemies. Coincidence in design and background lore, certainly. Wonder if its a homage?

wRATH2x said:
I know Mama will hate me for this, but I fucking loved Blood Omen 2 back in the day.

Blood Omen 2 is an average game, but (by LOK standards) it is a very bad story. To compare...

Blood Omen 1 was an epic vision of a world of darkness, with an ignorant sadist fighting his way through space, time and dimensions. His mission is redemption, to regain his lost innocence, to become a normal human once more.
The quest ends with the ghostly revelation that his entire life has been a lie, that he was never a normal human. He is the Last Guardian, and he must die so others can live. The choice of manipulated extinction or defiant apocalypse?

Blood Omen 2 is an evil vampire fighting evil aliens.

SR2. Defiance and BO2 have significant weaknesses. But, whereas SR2 and Defiance make up for them magnificently with stunning original storytelling, art, music, voice acting, atmosphere and pacing, BO2's lack of refinement makes its weaknesses all the more apparent. The setting contrasts wildly with the rest of the series, the voice acting is merely good, the story is trite, and even Kain's character model lacks refinement.

It has some good points, the bosses are fun, combat can be intersting at times, and the Eternal Prison is a nice concept. I enjoyed it somewhat, and can understand how people can. I'd even say its worth playing for a fan. But it is absolutely the weak link.

I never got a chance to play this series at all. Dammit Mama Robotnik, I just read this whole thread and now I feel like a terrible person for having never experienced these treasures.

NinajHeartless said:
I never got a chance to play this series at all. Dammit Mama Robotnik, I just read this whole thread and now I feel like a terrible person for having never experienced these treasures.

Well there's always time.

If you want to see where this goes, try and get hold of Soul Reaver on either PS1, PSN, PC, or Dreamcast.

If you want to see where both this, and then this goes, try and get hold of Blood Omen for PS1, PSN or PC.

I'm just hoping Squareid-Osenix get their arses in gear and release them all on Steam.

Mama Robotnik said:
Well there's always time.

If you want to see where this goes, try and get hold of Soul Reaver on either PS1, PSN, PC, or Dreamcast.

If you want to see where both this, and then this goes, try and get hold of Blood Omen for PS1, PSN or PC.

I'm just hoping Squareid-Osenix get their arses in gear and release them all on Steam.

That would be perfect for me
I like what I see :D
As soon as I get mah hands on some copies of these gems...well let's just say the series is about to gain another fan :lol

Empty

I've wanted to check out this series since i first read this (awesome) thread, the series sounds right up my alley, but Soul Reaver which i hear is the best to jump into, isn't up on EU PSN, so i'm not sure how to.

I'm just posting this to say Defiance is criminally under rated.

I've been a fan of the series since the first Blood Omen. I really like Soul Reaver too, but I honestly was really mad at the cliff hanger ending. The sequel made up for it, though.

Blood Omen 2 was rough as a fan of the original. Defiance, however brought the series back to form.

Top Bottom