• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel is Listed on GAME Retailer

sega4ever

Given how long it's taken to get SC out the door, how on earth is XSEED able to potentially put out Cold Steel at the end of the year? Does it have substantially less text, or has Carpe Fulgur been working on this after their work on SC concluded a while back, or...?

i think the reason why cold steel seems to be progressing so fast is because carpe fulgur isn't working on it.

Eusis

SC will be out before this. 3rd is probably not coming. Crossbell games aren't important for Sen 1, although they are for Sen 2... However, you could play them after Sen 2 and still get a similar effect. Hopefully someone finds a good way to release them, but it doesn't look good with the current offerings.
Well, 3rd at least has that in with PC, but no way will we get to see it before Cold Steel at best. Probably relegated to "if we have free resources and the games keep doing well. And no PSP."

I wonder if XSeed will be doing FC Evolution. Would be a huge waste of the translation work they already did if they don't.

The Evolution games are licensed by more than just Falcom, which Xseed has said multiple times that dealing with multiple companies could be more trouble than it's worth. There's also the massive amount of VA work that would have to be done and then the fact that FC Evolution is Vita only, which with how Vita is doing in general, would likely not be even close to a worthwhile investment.

I'm surprised we could be getting this so soon after SC (which if this date is true, must be really, really close since I can't imagine they would release the two games within a month or so of each other).

While I would have preferred to get everything in order, I'll be looking forward to playing this, and most people seem to say that there won't be any massive issues with us not having played Third/Zero/Ao.

My hope is that once they catch up with Trails in the Cold Steel, they'll go back and fill in the gaps with Trails in the sky 3, zero, and ao

Yes, I also hope for this. It'd be nice to have those gaps filled in.

If not, I suppose I might have to import the Evolution versions for Zero/Ao and play them.

DiscoJer

Is there any chance that Bandai-Namco is doing it on their own, without XSeed? After all, Bandai ported (and localized) three of the games on the PSP.

I know their translations get a lot of crap, but IMHO, they weren't any worse than the average SNES era JRPG and they managed to put out 3 of them in a short amount of time...

What sucks is that Ao is supposedly really, really, REALLY good and better than Sen, from what I know. I wanted to play the Crossbell duology more than I wanted to start with Sen from how many good things I hear about it.
From what I've heard, the first game at least doesn't spoil much of Zero and Ao, so maybe XSEED's gambit (if they're doing Sen anytime soon) is to work on Zero, then 3rd, then Sen 2, and next Ao. Falcom knows about their Western PC audience, so the chances of them fixing the Joyoland port of Ao for XSEED to localize is high (maybe even Nayuta will get a treatment).

Not letting XSEED have a monopoly on Falcom games would be a good start. Other companies have expressed interest in Falcom games, but the deals have not gone through at least partially due to the relationship with XSEED.
Agreed. To be fair, Carpe Fulgur could get a deal going because of their work on the SC localization, and there's a chance Ghostlight can leverage their projects with Acquire, which XSEED's cooperated with, to nab a game. And there's Mastiff, at least at the moment.

They'd be killing their fanbase anyway if they decided to release 3rd/Zero/Ao first and then move onto Sen without ports being done for it. It's either get Sen out within the next decade and have some sort of sales until a port is ready, or come out with the other 3 first and risk Falcom not even giving 2 shits about anything but mobile by the time Sen is ready, just like every other Japanese company. The other 3 games can quite likely be gone back to when they don't have nearly as much on their plate as they do now.
They'd be hopping onto mobile and handhelds exclusively if it weren't for Kondo and the shareholders noticing how big our market is...that's already happened. Us giving their older PC games better sales than anyone could have imagined has impressed them in a literal sense. I'm not sure the order here matters aside from Falcom wanting to show off its most recent Kiseki games, which is fine and makes sense if Falcom's planning on a Calvard game in the next five years or so (we'll have two Kiseki games set in the major nations). The assumption I'm making here is that Nintendo has an upcoming handheld Falcom can develop for if Sony bails on that end; the Japanese demographic comes first.

Hopefully this would be a chance to reveal a PC port of Sen no Kiseki debuting with XSEED's localization. It wouldn't kill either party to do without, but I'd like to see how responsive Falcom is.

What sucks is that Ao is supposedly really, really, REALLY good and better than Sen, from what I know.

I mean, here's how I look at it.

The number one priority of both Falcom and XSEED has to be establishing and strengthening the franchise in the US, because if it can turn into a tentpole niche RPG franchise it makes it viable to keep profitably releasing future games.

Historically speaking, people who play a lot of JRPGs are very, very used to skipping games or playing things out of order, as long as it doesn't affect a directly-carried-over plotline. If (as several other mods have assured me) the connections from Zero/Ao to Sen are mostly in the setting and broader metaplot, it doesn't keep the game from being enjoyed as long as the gameplay and self-contained plotline are good.

Furthermore, since Sen 2 only came out in 2013 and Sen 3 (or the start of the next subseries) isn't out yet, it's entirely plausible for XSEED to nearly "catch up" and get in a position to bring over new entries within a year or so of their previous release. At that point platform issues start to be less significant and they can potentially keep up with future releases indefinitely.

If an ongoing fanbase for the series manages to get built up over here, who knows what happens down the line? Maybe XSEED fills a hole in their 2019 lineup with TITS TC; maybe Falcom brings out some new collected edition on a different system way down the line; maybe we just get the critical mass for a serious fan translation effort. Regardless, I think the best chances for the series in the long run are to focus on getting caught up with games in the present, rather than worrying about the games we've missed.

Saphirax

Someone on reddit mentioned that Xseed's booth at E3 has two unannounced games. One is a RPG for vita and ps3, the other an action game for vita. Don't know about the latter, but the former is definitely Sen.

Lucentto

Banned
Someone on reddit mentioned that Xseed's booth at E3 has two unannounced games. One is a RPG for vita and ps3, the other an action game for vita. Don't know about the latter, but the former is definitely Sen.

Corpse Party: Blood Drive maybe. Not sure why it would be classified as an action title though.

Tokyo Xanadu pls
EDIT: I guess you could say that's an RPG as well though

Vamphuntr

Guess I'll get it for vita since my PS3 is officially retired. It would be cool if they ported it to PC to go with Trails in the Sky though.

Kudo

Please be true, I've been looking forward to this game for long time!
Wonder which version would be better though, Vita or PS3? Any known differences in the JP version of the game between them?
Kinda falling towards PS3 just to play it on big screen.

Voliko

Sen 1 might have my favorite Falcom OST! The calm/chill tracks are top tier. I'm kind of disappointed that I spoiled it thinking the game would never come over though...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting that this might be coming that soon, but I don't trust that date at all. Probably a placeholder, wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't come out until next year (or 2017, or...).

I think I'll end up passing on it regardless. I'm already not very interested in Sen, and on top of that we presumably aren't even getting the Crossbell games. Just kind of kills the whole thing, so I may just be done with the series after SC.

Hastati

...did not realize that there were this many in the series now.

Starting to think it would be faster to just master Japanese. Although these games are text heavy, right?

At any rate, it's good they are being localized at all!!

But why would Falcom even want to abandon the partnership?

I mean, they probably wouldn't if XSEED can demonstrate a faster release schedule for these things. Obviously the Western PC publishing is a mutually beneficial relationship, but it needs to actually be executed on correctly. XSEED would have a huge incentive to get Sen in good shape and shipped rapidly to keep Falcom from considering any alternatives.

I think I'll end up passing on it regardless. I'm already not very interested in Sen, and on top of that we presumably aren't even getting the Crossbell games. Just kind of kills the whole thing

Well, I would agree that if people won't buy Sen on principle because we didn't get the in-between games that it would kill the whole thing.

Still not super happy with the idea of skipping to the Sen series, but I understand the complications surrounding everything. But more Trails is always a good thing, so hopefully we'll know more soon.

Nyoro SF

I think the major reason to skip ahead to Sen is platform relevancy. There is no PC version of Sen series, so if they want to release a translation to the buying public on PS3 and Vita they have to do it as quickly as they can before these platforms become irrelevant in modern gaming.

Once they are caught up, there is a probability of releasing the other titles, which do have PC versions... but I won't pretend to guess the elaborate and annoying business tactics behind such maneuvers

The PC is where the series finally found an audience in the West. I wonder how much of that will cross over to the PS3/Vita.

Well, that was one game and released at a relatively low price. We'll have to see how that translates to future titles. I've heard before that the 100k on Steam are supposedly much higher than the PSP sales, but do we have numbers for PSP sales (physical + digital, US + EU)? Not downplaying the success, just curious.

Kondo specifically remarked in the recent Gurumin interview on the Steam release's sales volume, not the revenue generated and cut of that given to Falcom. Not to downplay the latter, but I think he loves and wants to emphasize the growing audience for Falcom games in the West.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I would agree that if people won't buy Sen on principle because we didn't get the in-between games that it would kill the whole thing.

I kind of lose regardless of how I vote with my wallet though. Don't buy it, don't send the message I want the other games. Do buy it, send the message that I want more Sen. If I'm sending a bad message either way I might as well save my money, that way I'm not out anything.

I also find it kind of hard to believe that Falcom would be pressuring XSEED to do anything because they themselves don't seem to be doing much to support the western audience. We can't get something as simple as a PSTV patch for Celceta despite one already being available in Japan. No PC versions for the upcoming Ys game or Tokyo Xanadu (yes, there is the possibility that they are developing one just for the western market so they haven't been announced, but that seems like reaching to me). If Falcom cared enough to push XSEED to release Kiseki games faster, they would probably also put some effort in themselves for their western audience.

Once they are caught up, there is a probability of releasing the other titles, which do have PC versions... but I won't pretend to guess the elaborate and annoying business tactics behind such maneuvers

Ehh the only older one they would really have trouble with would be Ao, since Falcom didn't do the port for that one and using the Chinese port would require having a Chinese translator (which Xseed doesn't have). Guess it could just be a "we'll worry about it when we get to it" kind of deal. Who knows, maybe by then Falcom will make phone ports or something and it will be easier to port it over to PC from there.

Well, that was one game and released at a relatively low price. We'll have to see how that translates to future titles. I've heard before that the 100k on Steam are supposedly much higher than the PSP sales, but do we have numbers for PSP sales (physical + digital, US + EU)? Not downplaying the success, just curious.

I kind of lose regardless of how I vote with my wallet though. Don't buy it, don't send the message I want the other games. Do buy it, send the message that I want more Sen. If I'm sending a bad message either way I might as well save my money, that way I'm not out anything.

Not really telling you what to do, more just musing that anyone who can't deal with an out-of-order release should consider the series dead now because like you say, there's no remotely conceivable outcome you'll be happy with.

[quote\
I also find it kind of hard to believe that Falcom would be pressuring XSEED to do anything because they themselves don't seem to be doing much to support the western audience.[/quote]

They're pressuring XSEED!

No PC versions for the upcoming Ys game or Tokyo Xanadu

This is kind of an absurd expectation. Small companies with very little staff can't pivot platforms that fast. At best you might see projects started in the future roll in PC early.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This is kind of an absurd expectation. Small companies with very little staff can't pivot platforms that fast. At best you might see projects started in the future roll in PC early.

Maybe? It's been almost 3 years since Felghana and Origin went through their first summer sale, and both were very successful. IIRC both broke into the top 3 best sellers during the period where they had a heavier discount. Celceta hadn't even released in Japan at that point, so it seems unlikely Falcom was even out of the planning stages for the upcoming Ys game.

Maybe they were though. I don't know how they work or how they are able to release 1-2 games a year of the scope they do with <50 people. Maybe spreading thin and moving people to priority projects is part of the process so it was well underway on the current target platforms that long ago.

Sitrus

Please be true, I've been looking forward to this game for long time!
Wonder which version would be better though, Vita or PS3? Any known differences in the JP version of the game between them?
Kinda falling towards PS3 just to play it on big screen.

PS3 version has longer loading times except when you install it onto a SSD. PS3 has a somewhat better frame rate for some hectic scenes.

Hopefully not on anything related to Kiseki considering how spectacularly SpaceDrake's desire for fame backfired and messed SC up.

If you want fame, translating a relatively obscure JRPG isn't the way to go about it. He suffers from depression & the stress of such a large project & having another company rely on him was just too much.

Top Bottom