• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

UCBooties

Amazon has continued their grand tradition of shipping my games late! I look forward to this game whenever it sees fit to arrive. Hope everyone enjoys!

I'm glad to know that I'll have this waiting for me as soon as I finish SC- I've always got time for more Trails. Does this game have a similar experience system as FC/SC (in that it's very easy to level up lower leveled characters)?

Also, I definitely approve of the OT title. :D

Great OT! Looking forward to it!

So how long does it take for anything of note to happen? I haven't played SC yet, but with Trails FC, the only time I felt it actually got interesting was pretty much the climax.

Bought a Vita around last month just in time for this game and the other Falcom games of course.

Still can't believe we got two Trails games in one year, and so close to each other! So excited to play this, although I need to replay FC and play SC first.

(Regarding Alisa) "apparently XSeed thinks her last name is a spoiler as per the Battle Trailer so I've hidden it here as well."

I'm not sure if they think it is a spoiler so much as that's how Alisa refers to herself for a decent portion of the game.

Also, really, really glad this is hitting NA tomorrow! Enjoy it, everyone!

Also, +1 for Sara and Sharon. I think my favorite character of the main cast is Gaius or Emma, but Emma's stuff mostly comes through in II.

Eusis

For a story that seems to focus heavily on noble families it's easy to see how being connected to one of them (or NOT connected at all?) could be a serious thing to spoil, versus Joshua's original last name being more of a "oh, that's what it was" in Trails in the Sky.

My Vita CE order has been held up on Amazon so I won't be able to dabble into the game right away. That said, great OP. Looking forward to playing Cold Steel.

(Regarding Alisa) "apparently XSeed thinks her last name is a spoiler as per the Battle Trailer so I've hidden it here as well."

I'm not sure if they think it is a spoiler so much as that's how Alisa refers to herself for a decent portion of the game.
I wonder if the Academy has so many Alisas that they have to go the elementary school route and have an Alisa R., Alisa P., and Alisa J. :p

I wasn't sure if it was spoilery or not, but it definitely ties into her character so I figured better safe than sorry!

Is the first game available to purchase on Vita? Gonna pick this up but wanna play that first.

This is the first game and it will release digitally whenever Sony updates their store. If you mean the Trails in the Sky games, both are available on PSN as digital PSP titles and can be played on the Vita.

yami4ct

My Lionheart Edition Vita copy just shipped a few hours ago. Amazon says it'll be here tomorrow, while UPS says Wednesday. I'm just gonna assume UPS is right. Don't care too much as long as it gets here in decent time.

It still doesn't feel real to me that we're getting another game in this series so soon.

I probably won't be able to play until Saturday, but good luck to everyone who gets in on launch day.

Psxphile

Best OT title.

Ah, it'll probably be another week yet before I can start playing my physical copy. :(

Probably the best choice for a subtitle if it had to have one.
Huh, that topic name actually probably is the most appropriate.

I know, right?

q6XaVjo.jpg

Here, use jdkluv's updated chart from his Dragon Slayer 30th Anniversary thread. What it lacks in character and supped meats it makes up in accuracy and pretty pictures:

Yosei

I bought 3 LE physical copies of this game( 2 vita + 1 ps3) and I will buy a vita digital copy tomorrow as well... I really wanna play Ao & zero and the evolution versions in english
I'm a dreamer

The LE is very much worth it in my opinion, the packaging is pretty and the art book is big enough. I found the pin to be a little underwhelming as it is very small and the colors are not very bright. The only difference between the ps3 LE and Vita is that the pin's box in each one is the size of the respective game version's box.

I've already played the japanese version of the game and I found it to be as good as SC but a bit worse than FC. Really looking foward to play it again in english tho!

Edit: I forgot to add another difference between versions: the ps3 version contains a game manual inside the box that is not present in the vita version.

Tohsaka

How is this in terms of missables? I read that it requires two playthroughs for the platinum trophy, but I probably won't be doing a second playthrough anytime soon since I still have some other games in my backlog, so I'd like to do as much as possible just playing through once.

How is this in terms of missables? I read that it requires two playthroughs for the platinum trophy, but I probably won't be doing a second playthrough anytime soon since I still have some other games in my backlog, so I'd like to do as much as possible just playing through once.

Similar to Trails in the Sky series, it has its fair share of hidden quests & missables. Yes, it would take 2 playthroughs (One of them being in nightmare) to acquire all trophies.

Moofers

I havent played a LOH game since A Tear of Vermillion, which I really liked. Thinking about jumping on this. Amazon still has the LE package.

Should I do it, GAF?

Famassu

I havent played a LOH game since A Tear of Vermillion, which I really liked. Thinking about jumping on this. Amazon still has the LE package.

Should I do it, GAF?
Yes. And also consider Trails in the Sky First Chapter & Second Chapter if you have a PSP/Vita/PSTV or a PC that's been bought after 2002. Those two and this one take place in the same world (though different neighboring countries and Cold Steel is a little time after Sky).

A.E Suggs

I'm looking forward to seeing what people think of the game, especially those who haven't had the opportunity to play through Zero/Ao first.
Will let ya know, I know of at least one real life person and one streamer(masterll) who seem to have done alright understanding the game without even playing sc or fc first. I think I'll be ok as long as characters are tolerable.

Moofers

Yes. And also consider Trails in the Sky First Chapter & Second Chapter if you have a PSP/Vita/PSTV or a PC that's been bought after 2002. Those two and this one take place in the same world (though different neighboring countries and Cold Steel is a little time after Sky).
Despite your tag, Ive done it! Ill follow up with the TitS games if I find that Im way into this one.

Off to play Lost Dimension while I wait :)

jb1234

I'm not really that big on any of the main cast. I like Gaius, I guess. And Crow, although he's not really in the same category. My favorite characters in the game are some of the older folks, like Sara and Sharon.

This is kinda concerning to me, especially given that all the character descriptions are as generic and tropey as you can get. I want to get on board with this game but I was burned bad with Type-0, its similar school setting and especially its unbearable cast.

I'm so happy to finally be playing this. I checked the JP OT before the English version was announced and wondered if we would ever get it. Glad to finally be playing it and more than halfway done with it :)

Also based Falcom Sound Team JDK music.

Dio

Banned
This is kinda concerning to me, especially given that all the character descriptions are as generic and tropey as you can get. I want to get on board with this game but I was burned bad with Type-0, its similar school setting and especially its unbearable cast.

I don't think you'll have to worry too much about that. Trails games' strength is their writing and character development, for the most part. Not everyone will like every character - some people hate Estelle in FC/SC which is beyond my understanding.

I'll be picking this up wednesday but it'll have to sit for a while, I'm still working on Yakuza 5 and XCX. I really try not to guy games just to send them into the backlog but I have concerns about this one becoming hard to find before too long.

Teknoman

Too bad there isnt a community thread for general questions...

Whats up with the Gharghav trilogy in NA? I remember reviews being not so great, made me just think they were some generic PSP rpgs. Also there arent any Sorcerian games in english?

Dio

Banned

Whats up with the Gharghav trilogy in NA? I remember reviews being not so great, made me just think they were some generic PSP rpgs. Also there arent any Sorcerian games in english?

The Gagharv trilogy was localized by Bandai Namco in the West, and outsourced.

The translation was not only not that great, it was also riddled with a ridiculous amount of spelling and grammatical errors. The battle systems were also changed for the worse in the process of localization, replacing it with a Lunar rip-off that wasn't great.

As for the original Sorcerian, it got a DOS or western PC release IIRC.

Gu4n

You can kind of go here. But in short: the Gagharv trilogy suffered from poor localisation, in particular since impressionistic writing was what made the originals so good.

still very busy with Yakuza 5. this will probably arrive before i'm done. this is a good time with many high quality releases all around.

sonny4p

Does this game have "worlds and towns" to explore or is it like persona where you have the "school parts (hub)" and just same-y dungeons over and over?

Gu4n

Does this game have "worlds and towns" to explore or is it like persona where you have the "school parts (hub)" and just same-y dungeons over and over?
An enormous empire full of worlds and towns out there to explore, indeed! And the best part is that Cold Steel only covers the eastern half of the nation; the western half will follow sometime in the near future.

Jiraiza

The only samey dungeon would be the old school building you explore. The towns you visit and their dungeons are generally pretty varied, I think.

Shouta

I'm looking forward to seeing what people think of the game, especially those who haven't had the opportunity to play through Zero/Ao first.

Yeah, it'll be nice to get thoughts on the story from the other direction.

Emma is probably the most interesting character in the playable cast, although the reason for that doesn't really shine through very much to start with. Sadly your first impression of her is dumb glasses girl trope.

Klutz glasses girl! Get it right!

I wouldn't worry. It is a Nihon Falcom game so all of them their time to shine and develop within the story. They actually spend a lot of time developing the dynamics of the characters as well.

It's really a matter of preference, IMO. I like this cast quite a bit personally.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
The only samey dungeon would be the old school building you explore. The towns you visit and their dungeons are generally pretty varied, I think.

That's nice to know. Just finished the prologue and that dungeon was uninspiring.

Was contemplating whether to play this since I've only finished the first 2 chapters or so of FC. But I think I will continue anyway.

jb1234

I wouldn't worry. It is a Nihon Falcom game so all of them their time to shine and develop within the story. They actually spend a lot of time developing the dynamics of the characters as well.

It's really a matter of preference, IMO. I like this cast quite a bit personally.

As far as Falcom writing goes, I'm hoping for more the quality of TitS SC as opposed to Ys VII, Celceta and Nayuta no Kiseki.

(But who am I kidding? I'll probably still play it and enjoy it. At the very least, I'm guaranteed a good soundtrack.)

Dio

Banned
As far as Falcom writing goes, I'm hoping for more the quality of TitS SC as opposed to Ys VII, Celceta and Nayuta no Kiseki.

(But who am I kidding? I'll probably still play it and enjoy it. At the very least, I'm guaranteed a good soundtrack.)

Well, Ys has never been a storytelling front for Falcom. They let Trails leak in a little bit but the games are focused around awesome boss fights and fun combat.

If you didn't read Nayuta in Japanese you probably got a bad impression of Nayuta, even if Nayuta doesn't reach the heights of the rest of Trails, compared to the others. That English fan translation was machine translated and isn't great.

Top Bottom