• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (PC) |OT| Enter Erebonia

Sarek

Double dipped, partly because my PS3 wiped my CS2 save file, partly because I want Crossbell.

Doubled dibbed as well. Got both CoS games on PS3, but I'd rather play them higher res, more+better voice overs, smoother framerate, etc.

Someone has already extracted the JP Audio from the PS3 version but they can't magic in Japanese versions of the 1000s of new lines for this release, naturally.

I'm pretty happy to play with the few JP voices this game has. At least i will be able to play it without having to suffer listening to the EN voices ( EN voiceovers on JRPG's always creep me out for some reason. I just can't stand listening to it).

I have to wonder about this, because if a Cold Steel 3 port happens, I don't see how Jap voices could be applied to that game, since the game will be avalaible on ps4 (and I think there isn't any method to extract files from a ps4 game?)

So, maybe you start playing with Jap voices but then you have to change for english for Cold Steel 3, for me that would be an issue.

I thought you could end up spoiling parts of Trails in the Sky if you start this. I'm not finished with FC, and haven't even started SC. Would it hurt to jump in now?

I just decommissioned my 48:9 setup in favor of a single 4k monitor too...I has a sad now.

Same as the launch price of the vita/ps3 versions is a bit too much imo, but I want Zero/Ao >_<
I wouldve probably scoffed at the price if they didn't put in the effort to this port. 5000 additional lines makes this an enhanced edition to me.

Still think the DLC shouldve been included though

Tonton

How long is the game? Just played Persona 5 for 130 hours might need a jrpg break :D
Gonna depend on how much side content and talking to NPCs you do, but my complete (or as complete as NG can be) run on Vita always talking with all Trista NPCs I got around 100 hours
HLTB puts a "Main Story" playthrough as short as 60 hours

If I've finished SC but haven't played The 3rd yet, do I play that or this first?
Some of the Star and Moon doors in 3rd do important setup for Cold Steel, I'd recommend finishing it before jumping in

Gonna depend on how much side content and talking to NPCs you do, but my complete (or as complete as NG can be) run on Vita always talking with all Trista NPCs I got around 100 hours

But imagine how much faster it'll be with Turbo Mode! <3 Best JRPG feature ever

the Character list is missing the best character, Sara Valestein, aka Purple Lightning!!

latest

Time for some EXTREME extra credit!

Durante

Here's some info tidbit that I wanted to get into the final article but ran out of time:
all builds of the game (Steam, humble, GoG) are the exact same executable. This means they are all DRM-free.

The game dynamically connects to those platforms (Steam, GoG galaxy) that are present and where you own the game. If none are present, it simply runs in DRM-free mode. (As a side effect, this also means that if you were to buy the game on both Steam and GoG, you could unlock achievements on both simultaneously with the same build :p)

Jiraiza

I'm pretty happy to play with the few JP voices this game has. At least i will be able to play it without having to suffer listening to the EN voices ( EN voiceovers on JRPG's always creep me out for some reason. I just can't stand listening to it).

English only sounds as good as the translated script allows it to be. No comment on this game though since I haven't played it in English yet.

the Character list is missing the best character, Sara Valestein, aka Purple Lightning!!

latest

She will get more credit when the CS2 OT happens...still, shes amazing in both

Having already beat both on PS3, I'm playing this for the additional VA and to fix my ending mistake. I feel like it'll probably take me 40 hours or less though thanks to turbo mode. I'll be utilizing it for every random encounter and field. Great feature for replays, really wouldn't have touched it if I hadnt already played the game.

Manatox

So, maybe you start playing with Jap voices but then you have to change for english for Cold Steel 3, for me that would be an issue.

Oh well, this could be an issue indeed. But it's still hard for me to not to choose jp voices when i have the oppurtunity for CS 1&2 at least. Best to worry about that when we see that day ^.^

Korigama

English only sounds as good as the translated script allows it to be. No comment on this game though since I haven't played it in English yet.
Voice direction is also important. I would say it as well as the script were handled well. The person you're responding to would likely have a negative view of English dubs for Japanese games regardless of execution, going by their blanket dismissal.

FLD

Some of the Star and Moon doors in 3rd do important setup for Cold Steel, I'd recommend finishing it before jumping in

Eh, I really wouldn't say it's necessary. IIRC, it's only one door that heavily foreshadows Cold Steel and honestly I feel like I enjoyed it more by having played Cold Steel first. It kinda blew my mind to see just how far ahead Falcom were planning, even 10 years ago.

Thud

It might take a while to get used to the english voices, but it's great. New voice lines have been added and some lines were even rerecorded.

I especially liked Crow's voice a lot. Sounded like a Joey Wheeler. Leave 'tta me.

Alucrid

Banned
a little too rich for me to double dip, but i hope to be able to play a bit before the cold steel 3 comes out

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

latest

I only included the characters on the official website to avoid what XSEED might consider spoilers.

Here's some info tidbit that I wanted to get into the final article but ran out of time:
all builds of the game (Steam, humble, GoG) are the exact same executable. This means they are all DRM-free.

The game dynamically connects to those platforms (Steam, GoG galaxy) that are present and where you own the game. If none are present, it simply runs in DRM-free mode. (As a side effect, this also means that if you were to buy the game on both Steam and GoG, you could unlock achievements on both simultaneously with the same build :p)

That's pretty cool, and funny heh.

Jiraiza

Eh, I really wouldn't say it's necessary. IIRC, it's only one door that heavily foreshadows Cold Steel and honestly I feel like I enjoyed it more by having played Cold Steel first. It kinda blew my mind to see just how far ahead Falcom were planning, even 10 years ago.

Yeah, playing the Cold Steel games first actually enhanced my Sky experiences, if anything. Currently going through Zero now and I feel the same way there.

sotojuan

Hope you don't mind me posting here, but I just finished playing this on Vita and wrote a review here:

https://kresnik258gaming.wordpress....legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-review/

Obviously nothing about the PC-specific changes, but should be a good overview of the game. Not the most amazing RPG and definitely a filler entry, but still fun for what it is.

Exactly my thoughts! I loved the combat but the pace slowed down considerably in many portions, particularly the town where you ride a horse. I consider it too long but Trails fans probably love the extra dialogue and lore. I enjoyed my time with it but won't go back to it.

That said, this version looks VERY good graphically.

The DLC that are not for sale are already in the game.

Oh really? That's great then.

I'm really close to start a new playtrough, even if I already beat the game just last year. Really enjoyed it, but I need to beat other games in my backlog. Umm what to do.

Korigama

Yeah, playing the Cold Steel games first actually enhanced my Sky experiences, if anything. Currently going through Zero now and I feel the same way there.
Having played Cold Steel first, this was my experience as well.

Tonton

3rd and maybe more vague CS1/2 spoilers
There's the Kloe Moon Door setting up Lechter's character (tbh he's barely there so this might be the least important of those) and then the Star Door with him and Osborne setting up the conflicts in CS
There's the door about the attacks on the Bracer Guilds
There's the door about North Ambria
And of course, Star Door 14 where you find out what happened with the Aureole and the start of the Phantasmal Blaze plan

blackw0lf

To get the full experience, make sure you are at least talking to all of the students during each time period. They all have their own stories that they progress through during the game and it's a complete joy following them throughout the game.

Of course so do many of the townspeople as well, but at the very least you should be talking to the students. Plus this is how you fill out the character info for them.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member

Awesome. I prefer Steam for playing games, but when there's a DRM-free option available I sometimes feel like a sucker for ignoring it. Glad I don't have to worry about that here.

This is fantastic news given I was just now feeling annoyed that the Humble page didn't bother to note that you have choose between Steam and DRM free like with Sky.

Jazzem

Bought! Still only about 15 hours into SC so will probably dip into this briefly before going back to finish that. Wanted to vote with my wallet for Durante and the folks at XSeed :D

The Wart

Gaaaaah I should really wait for a sale. I'm just about to finish SC and want to play 3rd before this...

buuuut... first sale price probably won't go far below the HB price with the Monthly discount...

Top Bottom