• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (PC) |OT| Enter Erebonia

Erheller

so, anyone working on skipping straight to NG+ yet

I'm hoping someone does this
hi from the Kiseki thread

I'd love to be able to help with the savegame editing, but I've never actually used something as low-level as a hex editor, so I wouldn't be much help unfortunately.

Props for finally using lossless music as well.
(Unless those WAVs in the game folder are just converted from lossy ATRAC9/3 files from the Vita/PS3 versions).

PROTIP: Rename them to *.lwav, and you can play them with loops preserved using VGMStream.

Ooooooh, that's nice.

I bought this just to support the release as I didn't see myself replaying the game (it's literally #7 on the list of Trails game I want to play right now), but man, having played it a bit, the game looks so much better. Sure, it's still a technically very middling PS3 game at its core, but the final result is night and day. I love that this port exists.
Congratulations to everyone involved, you guys did an amazing job.

And yeah, I'll add to everyone else's statements: buy this but play the Sky games first. I can think of at least one Sky reveal I'd hate to be spoiled by having played this first.

As an aside, when I launch the game from the configuration tool, the game window doesn't come to the front for some reason, I have to alt+tab to bring it up (got the behavior in windowed and FS mode).

Edit: I'll give this a try on my wife's new XPS15. I'm curious to see how it runs on that 1050m.

Tonton

It seems changing button prompts doesn't work when you set text to Japanese
It's always Playstation prompts there

This is the first game I'm able to run at 165 FPS and even though this isn't the type of game that really benefits from it, it's still blowing my mind how smooth it is. The turbo mode is a godsend for playing the game again and the graphics are as good as they're ever going to be. Love it so far. Hope you guys can figure out the crashing issues.

I've played about the first 5-6 hours on PS3, but I don't have the PS3 hooked up any more, and while PS Now streaming works OK for me, I'm thrilled for a PC release so I can play in 4k with everything all the way up.

Also, if you are a humble monthly subscriber, the 10% launch discount stacks with the 10% humble monthly subscriber discount, so it's only like $32.39 from the humble store. I forget about that sometimes.

I'm happy we're finally getting a bunch of JRPGs on steam. Hopefully if they sell well we'll continue to get more and I can stop buying as much playstation stuff.

Durante

It seems changing button prompts doesn't work when you set text to Japanese
It's always Playstation prompts there
Yes, someone just reported this on Steam and I've been able to reproduce it. It shouldn't be too hard to fix, but the DoF issue some people are seeing and the crashes have priority for now.

Massicot

Hmm. I never got any crashes from my preview builds. I know saying that doesn't help anyone, just crazy that you have to consider all sorts of different hardware and configurations and people can have wildly different experiences. Game's been rock solid for me.

MechaX

I didn't get far in the PS3 version, but a big pet peeve I had was that Rean would suddenly go from voiced to non voiced, or a party member would be talking to a voiceless NPC in the same convo, and it was super jarring. Please tell me the PC version alleviates this

I didn't get far in the PS3 version, but a big pet peeve I had was that Rean would suddenly go from voiced to non voiced, or a party member would be talking to a voiceless NPC in the same convo, and it was super jarring. Please tell me the PC version alleviates this
It should, considering there's like +50% spoken lines. I assume these jarring cases are exactly the ones they aimed for first.

preta

Purchased all the costume DLC (good bundle deal). Normally I never do this for any game period, but for a replay of this and as a thanks for all the hard work, it's worth the price!

If you know where to look, it's not such a big issue.

The SC spoiler is written in such a way that it's really easy to miss. Even when I looked for it deliberately, I remember the language being vague to the point where it was a non-issue.

However I will say, the events of Chapter 4, the beginning of chapter 5, and the final chapter near the end, is where it is best to have played Sky series first, but it's not such a huge deal. It's all about whether you want to maximize enjoyment.

Uh... what? There is absolutely zero way anyone could possibly miss it. It's an important part of the plot.
This is about Prince Olivert right? That's what I was referring to.

Anyway, it's fairly early on as I recall. Don't remember time in hours.

Marche90

Time to productively use the time at the office downloading this on a machine with a Z3735F and 2 Gb of RAM :p

Currently installing on my main machine as we speak, too.

Squire

Banned
The DS4 doesn't just work natively? It's asking me to configure it specifically for the game from BPM. When I just go into the game from the normal interface, only the keyboard works. What gives?

bomblord1

Banned
I know this is probably impossible but it never hurts to ask.

Any way of getting a save off the Vita version and onto this?

epmode

Hm, I think the controller input in menus may be affected by framerate. In Unlimited FPS, I find that it's difficult to just move the cursor up or down by a single item. The delay before the cursor starts rushing down the menu is much shorter at 144 FPS than 60.

edit: How do you quit the game? Without using Alt+F4, I mean.

The DS4 doesn't just work natively? It's asking me to configure it specifically for the game from BPM. When I just go into the game from the normal interface, only the keyboard works. What gives?

Mine worked fine naturally. Plugged in via USB cable though.

Durante

Hm, I think the controller input in menus may be affected by framerate. In Unlimited FPS, I find that it's difficult to just move the cursor up or down by a single item. The delay before the cursor starts rushing down the menu is much shorter at 144 FPS than 60.
Yes, this is a known issue. The delay for repeated button presses is frame-based, rather than time-based, and it's difficult to change that due to how it is implemented.

It's on the list.

edit: How do you quit the game? Without using Alt+F4, I mean.
Well, Alt-F4 is the fastest option, but there is an "Exit" button in the main menu (in System).

Loz246789

So I'm 90% certain this could easily just be something on my end, but is anyone else using a DS4 controller and having an issue with running (not running-running, but natural running) diagonally? I walk instead. It's not a huge issue thanks to the run button, and it's a new controller, but I thought I'd check.

MechaX

It should, considering there's like +50% spoken lines. I assume these jarring cases are exactly the ones they aimed for first.

I am hoping you're right. I didn't even realize this was coming out today, but if they fixed that, that will turn my "maybe" to "buying it when I get home"

I am hoping you're right. I didn't even realize this was coming out today, but if they fixed that, that will turn my "maybe" to "buying it when I get home"
its not even a hope, they announced it initially with the PC release. There is 5000 additional voiced lines in this version.

They had originally wanted to do the same for the console version, but falcom wouldnt go back and edit the code to let them so they werent able to. So they brought the voice actors back in for the PC release and voiced 5k lines since they had control of the code to do it.

Theswweet

So I'm 90% certain this could easily just be something on my end, but is anyone else using a DS4 controller and having an issue with running (not running-running, but natural running) diagonally? I walk instead. It's not a huge issue thanks to the run button, and it's a new controller, but I thought I'd check.

I thought that was just my controller being old, but yeah I'm having that issue too.

MechaX

its not even a hope, they announced it initially with the PC release. There is 5000 additional voiced lines in this version.

They had originally wanted to do the same for the console version, but falcom wouldnt go back and edit the code to let them so they werent able to. So they brought the voice actors back in for the PC release and voiced 5k lines since they had control of the code to do it.

.... welp.

Looks like I am revisiting Class VII when I get home.

Eusis

Wait, ed8.exe?

How involved was Falcom with the PC version? Did some of the basic groundwork to get going on PC and left XSEED and crew to handle the rest, or was it fully on you guys to get it over on PC? Also, did they dictate the executable names and all or was that XSEED's call?

EDIT: And admittedly I didn't fully follow the blogs, but I can tell from what I saw at a minimum Durante's largely to thank for all the QOL features and performance gains. Like, to the point where I am wondering if NISA/Aksys can compare with Ys VIII and Tokyo Xanadu.

Squire

Banned
Mine worked fine naturally. Plugged in via USB cable though.

It's working for me outside of BPM, so that's fine. My d-pad doesn't work though and I can't move the camera either...

Edit: Abd cutscenes are a little blurry, too? Actually, it's just the models for Class VII. The text boxes look great lol

It's definitely all clean and clear during gameplay though. It's 60FPS and turbo works, too.

epmode

Yes, this is a known issue. The delay for repeated button presses is frame-based, rather than time-based, and it's difficult to change that due to how it is implemented.

It's on the list.
Yeah, I figured it was frame-based. I'd appreciate a fix eventually but the game is already a revelation at 60 FPS so I can definitely wait!

Well, Alt-F4 is the fastest option, but there is an "Exit" button in the main menu (in System).

I guess that only shows up after you've loaded a game. (I still haven't started playing for real and I didn't see a way to exit from the main menu)

I don't mean to sound so critical, it's a lovely port. And it's kinda funny that you mapped the 4X turbo mode to the right trigger considering that's exactly how I just played through Trails the 3rd.

Durante

Edit: Abd cutscenes are a little blurry, too? Actually, it's just the models for Class VII. The text boxes look great lol

It's definitely all clean and clear during gameplay though. It's 60FPS and turbo works, too.
Are you using an Intel GPU?
There is a known issue with the combination of Intel GPU + Depth of FIeld effect in cutscenes + MSAA enabled.

CSX

Can't bring myself to buy this now since I haven't even touched 3rd chapter and played CS1 and 2 on PS3.

But that 48:9 screenshot posted on the other thread is just so goddam beautiful T__T

I hope you all buy this one, 'cause you know
BDwmxhi.jpg

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't gone beyond the main menu yet, but I'm also having issues with my XInput controller working on the config menu, but not in game. Alt F4 worked to close the game, but someone who doesn't know that might get confused about quitting from the menu since there doesn't appear to be any other way to do it, and the alt F4 method isn't listed anywhere.

The first time I launched the game, it opened underneath the Steam window and any other open applications, but the mouse lock was still enabled. Subsequent launches have been in the foreground above other applications. That was a little strange.

As expected, it's a great port. Runs, looks and plays beautifully. It's so strange playing a Falcom game with "modern" graphics and high resolution UI.

Wow! Game really looks nice at 4k.

But even with my pc:

i7 6700K
Gtx 1080
etc etc

Everything maxed at 4k (on 1080p TV):

GPU usage is around 50- 60% but on cutscenes goes up to 100% and I get drops to 20-30fps.

If I disable HQ Deph of Field GPU usage is around 50-60% at all time with a locked 60fps.

Is normal that the HQ Deph of Field have such an impact on gpu usage?

This is Laura Arseid:

This is what she does to bosses:

We clear on that? Good! Anywho, this has some dud sections but the highs and overall package are still top-shelf Trails Goodness, so enjoy!

And that soundteam_JDK...oh lordy the music...

I've done my part
now hurry up with ToCS II

and then bring ToCS III to Steam too
and Zero no Kiseki
and Ao no Kiseki

come on XSEED!

I got more monies for this too, but others gotta do their parts!

PK Gaming

Generally with CP recovery items and speed/strength enhancements and buffs. Then you just use the divider crafts and enjoy your long turns :).

In Cold Steel you can have similar things, but not as extreme as fast crafts man. Its sequel does have fast arts man.

Cold Steel has Delay God, who is arguably better.

Stack Rean with a bunch of Impede quartz and spam Arc Slash and you'll demolish the game.

Top Bottom