• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda : 4 Sword Anniversary Edition back on the US eShop (till Feb 2)

SegaShack

This is great. I sold my DS lite in Summer 2011 to get a 3DS, however the bottom screen had all these weird white lines that would run through it after owning it a week. I then returned the 3DS and got a DSi and DL'd Four Swords on it. However once the XL came out I sold the DSi and got an XL, not realizing that Four Swords was removed from the eShop.

I only knew one other person who owned Link to the Past for GBA when I was 10/11 and we played Four Swords not knowing what to expect and it was an amazing experience. Similarly the Gamecube game was also a lot of fun. I am excited to try it again.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Does this have any form of multiplayer?
It would be a little silly if it didn't, but I'm just checking.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
You sure this isn't in Europe too? I remember having it somewhere on my 3ds

FYI, the GCN game (Four Swords Adventures) was a different, stand-alone title, that did not make use of the GBA cart in any way.

The Anniversary Edition is pretty much a straight port of the GBA game with a couple of bonus areas and a single-player mode.
I need FSA ported to 3DS now, someone give me Iwata's number

BasilZero

Kind of a dumb question but if we have downloaded this....do we keep it :eek:? Or does it disappear kinda like what Steam does with free weekend access to their games?

emag

You sure this isn't in Europe too? I remember having it somewhere on my 3ds

I need FSA ported to 3DS now, someone give me Iwata's number

Four Swords Adventures is amazing (and much, much better than this GBA mini-game). I'd love to see a 3DS port or sequel.

-GJ-

Sooo... Is this available on the European eShop as well? I can't seem to find it, but I've seen multiple Dutch websites report on it already.

Madao

Wait, really? Why?

it is a DSi game. those games only work if run from the internal memory. the memory that is used for this is a DSi only memory chip so it doesn't matter if you have 3DS games downloaded.

also, the 3DS doesn't have internal memory for 3DS downloadable games since everything goes to the SD card. there's no point in specifying that a game must be on the SD card when that's the only option for 3DS games.

georly

Sneaky sneaky nintendo. I know why they made it free again. I know exactly why.

I found out when i tried to put it on my old 3DS (i transferred to an XL). It FORCES you to make a nintendo network ID. It's a trojan horse. With all that talk about nintendo network ID last night at the shareholder's meeting, it's NO coincidence that this is FREE today. It's also a promo that only lasts 4 days to get you to do it sooner than later. Sneaky sneaky.

Sneaky sneaky nintendo. I know why they made it free again. I know exactly why.

I found out when i tried to put it on my old 3DS (i transferred to an XL). It FORCES you to make a nintendo network ID. It's a trojan horse. With all that talk about nintendo network ID last night at the shareholder's meeting, it's NO coincidence that this is FREE today. It's also a promo that only lasts 4 days to get you to do it sooner than later. Sneaky sneaky.
Its new year in Japan (and other part of asia) , I am not surprised they gave something for free.

edit

wait its not lol its just Chinese new year. You maybe right then.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
it is a DSi game. those games only work if run from the internal memory. the memory that is used for this is a DSi only memory chip so it doesn't matter if you have 3DS games downloaded.

also, the 3DS doesn't have internal memory for 3DS downloadable games since everything goes to the SD card. there's no point in specifying that a game must be on the SD card when that's the only option for 3DS games.

So there's a separate DSi memory chip in every 3DS? And so that memory is never able to be upgraded? I had no idea. I don't purchase many downloadable titles from the eShop.

Eusis

Disappointing it's not on the DSi Shop too. I wanted to get it on my DSi XL.
So there's a separate DSi memory chip in every 3DS? And so that memory is never able to be upgraded? I had no idea. I don't purchase many downloadable titles from the eShop.
You can work around it by copying games onto the SD Card. Basically the Wii fridge situation before they put out an update to temp copy over to system memory.

Soo I don't have a single friend who owns a 3DS. Well, I guess I know one kid with one. Is this game worth it to play single player?

RagnarokX

I played this single player back when they released it... more tedious than, fun, unfortunately. I really wish they would have made it online multiplayer.

The levels you unlock after everything are insanely hard.

Regiruler

Single-player can be fucking brutal if you decide to go back to it: it seems to give you harder dungeons after you beat vaati on the second difficulty above the lowest.

rekameohs

Banned

Yup. And like Eusis said, you can store them on the SD card and move them back to the internal memory when you want to play them, like the Wii before the SD card update. The 3DS has 1054 blocks (megabits) of internal memory and the typical DSi game is around 50-100. Click here for the NA list. So you're looking at around 15-20 DSi games before your space fills up.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
You can work around it by copying games onto the SD Card. Basically the Wii fridge situation before they put out an update to temp copy over to system memory.

That's so bizarre to me. So you can copy to the SD card, but you can't play it from the SD card, so it's strictly for back-up purposes? And is there any way to back-up your saves then? Is that included in the main file?

Yup. And like Eusis said, you can store them on the SD card and move them back to the internal memory when you want to play them, like the Wii before the SD card update. The 3DS has 1054 blocks (megabits) of internal memory and the typical DSi game is around 50-100. Click here for the NA list. So you're looking at around 15-20 DSi games before your space fills up.

Thanks. I guess this was the only way they were able to get DSiware games to work on the 3DS.

zigg

Right, a manual process. You're basically swapping entire games between internal Flash reserved for DSiWare and the SD, and can't play them while they're on SD.

This is all because the DSiWare API makes binaries that expect to read and write to Flash directly, as was the case on the DSi (and analogous to Wii.) The 3DS eShop API, OTOH, was built with SD in mind. To work around that they'd have to hook it somehow or emulate a DSi, and the latter doesn't appear to be in the 3DS's horsepower capabilities.

Greenzxy

laughing19.gif

Top Bottom