• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Any word on whether we'll get to see traditional dungeons somewhere in the game? If you know the answer you don't need to say how many, but will there be more than the 4 rumoured dungeons in this game (not including shinres) and will they have the typical labyrinth puzzles and themed out to a location it's based in?

If the above is in the game, it will make me happy.

Guys I'm reading these previews and holy shit, I'm so fucking hyped for next Friday. I can't believe it. Zelda's my favorite series, and this seems exactly like the leap-forward the series has needed. I'm so fucking excited!

guek

Banned
These previews...

The hype...

6bl4fZU.gif

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a little weary of some of these people proclaiming it's not only the best Zelda ever but one of the best games ever after spending 5-10 hours in it. Hyperbole off the charts.

Sounds great overall though and I'm glad I kept my pre-order. :D

Can you play the game with the the Pro Controller while the Joy Cons are attached? Example. Play game with Joy Cons, battery dies, reattach them to switch and then just start playing with the Pro Controller and switch control option in the menu or something? Thank you

I think that's basic Switch functionality, but my Pro Controller isn't right here, so I can't try it out.

But did you sit down and write the review after a lot more time with it? If so the impressions must be influenced by stuff that happens after that. How do you reconcile all that?

I wrote the preview at around 6 hours, shaving off the last... hourish of stuff. This is part of why I recorded everything, so I knew what I was doing when.

I edited it knowing more, but I didn't add anything, soooooooo.

:(

What do the bumpers/triggers do?
Is left bumper/trigger important?

Left bumper is Sheik Tablet abilties, Left trigger is shield, Right bumper is throw weapon, Right trigger is Bow and Arrow.

Thanks! Turning HUD to Pro also disables mini map ? What's left on the screen when you disable everything you can ?

The Pro toggle is your only option. It gets rid of the mini-map. All that's left is your heart counter.

ckaneo

And everyone game me shit for posting that because my source was a couple gaffers who leaked stuff in the past.

Well you arent the most reliable guy.

In any case, we knew this from the demo events. Those were demos, but it was noted that docked ran worse than handheld

I'm a little weary of some of these people proclaiming it's not only the best Zelda ever but one of the best games ever after spending 5-10 hours in it. Hyperbole off the charts.

Sounds great overall though and I'm glad I kept my pre-order. :D
Lots of these people have spent way more than 5-10 hours on it. The preview only allows them to talk about the first 5 hours.

The Hermit

We’re doing our best to find faults here but the truth is we’re hugely impressed. We already know some things we can’t talk about here, and other secrets that have been hinted to us by Nintendo. At this stage we’d shocked if this didn’t turn out to be the best Zelda since Ocarina Of Time. It may even surpass it, and since many still regard that as the best video game ever made it becomes almost impossible to overstate just how good Breath Of The Wild is.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/24/the-l...-on-preview-eye-opener-6470487/#ixzz4ZcDOWlfz

raptor-jesus-rave-camp.gif

Chaos17

Curious if we'll have multiple endings...since
you can get to the final boss from the beginning.

Yes, Aounuma said it and there was even a thread about it on Gaf where everyone screamed that game must be too easy to be able to go straight to final boss. So it's not a spoiler XD

How childish of you.

Please. That horse you're on is so high I'm afraid falling off of it might kill you.

People on the internet melting down over video game news is hilarious. Let's not pretend that we haven't all laughed at the "Japanese culture (I'm an expert)" meme, or the hysteria over Bayonetta 2 exclusivity, or Twilight Princess 8.8/10, or a hundred other cascades of delicious delicious salt we've seen over the years.

Given the deadline for submitting a game to be considered for SGDQ 17 is like two weeks after Zelda, I doubt speedrunners will have enough time to really get a feel for how a speedrun would play and how long it would take for SGDQ in time for it to be considered for the schedule

THEY'LL FIND A WAY

damnit

Astral Dog

Skyward has a 93, but that game supposedly sucks, though.
I don't trust reviews to judge the "quality" of a Zelda because it always been a critical darling.

But. BoTW is more or less what i always wanted at least since WW,you can just feel its going to be different and exciting,with a familiar setting.

We know the game isn't going to be perfect,but they are doing so many things right 😆

phanphare

Banned
He comes off a bit fanboy-ish if I'm honest. I'm excited for this game, though.

I would maybe agree if that sentiment wasn't so widespread and seemingly unanimous

and honestly schreier is a reputable dude, one of the better games journalists out there

The five quotes I chose for the OP. If anyone has any better please tell me. :)

qBVWaQJ.jpg

This one at the end of the GameXplain video just sent shivvers down my spine.

Was thinking about cancelling my switch pre-order due to the joycon issues... but... fuck it game on :)

first of all, BEAUTIFUL OP Dystify!

secondly OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMYGOD, im almost getting choked up reading a few of these choice quotes without spoiling much.

This is a game I've been dreaming about for decades, guys. Some of the industry's best artists and designers hit a magical sweet spot back in 1998 but also then fell in to a formula that only saw marginal iteration/refinement (especially on handheld) and sort of lost it's way in the process.

BUT THIS IS IT. IT"S FUCKING HERE. I'm going to be savoring this game at my own pace like the finest wines, letting the world wash over me and carving a purely sungular and magical adventure out of this largely and wonderfully blank canvas they've given us. I'll even be able to take it on the go with me, or play certain parts in bed without having to worry about how close I am to my living room area.

bomblord1

Banned
Since no one seems to have posted them yet. Here's the screenshot set from the Gamespot Preview. As far as I can tell they are spoiler free.

For some reason some of them are different resolutions. I'm assuming that's because some are handheld and some are docked?

I don't trust reviews to judge the "quality" of a Zelda because it always been a critical darling.

It's worked out for me so far as I think most Zelda games are amazing, including Skyward Sword.

The installments that I don't find to be at least very good are quite limited.

Top Bottom