• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

gamerMan

From the impressions our own GAFers gave, they said they ran into a bunch of unscripted moments in the middle of their exploration..

Also:

From the Kotaku review:

"Unscripted moments where different entities would clash with one another in unexpected ways added to the sense of wilderness. Sometimes, I'd stumble upon humans fighting against errant dinosaurs, or watch as robots turned on each other. I observed robotic vultures pick apart the body of another robot. During another segment, I racked my brain trying to figure out how to sneak by some human enemies, only to have a titan unexpectedly swoop from the sky and wreck everyone's shit. Problem solved! Horizon is at its best when it upends my expectations like that."

http://kotaku.com/horizon-zero-dawn-the-kotaku-review-1792538336

In the podcast, they say there are moments like this in Horizon but they are scripted and just set up for the player to see. I haven't played Horizon, but this is probably something that everybody sees and it's just an illusion because it only happens during discrete moments in the game.

He says that Horizon only feels "digital" because he has played a dozen of hours of Zelda Breath Of The Wild.

He explains this by saying in Horizon, you have to look at a yellow marker to climb it. You have to find something that was scripted to be climbable. In Zelda, you can climb anything from mountains to trees. You make your own route. In Zelda, you are constantly asking can I do that. And you can 99% of the time. The game constantly rewards you for exploring.

atr0cious

Meh, people will never let OoT go. But I suppose this game is our best chance of it being "dethroned" where the majority is concerned.
Majora's Mask is mechanically superior in every way, but Ocarina of Time has this sense of wonder and care, you can immediately "feel" the quality, the difference is mostly down to dev time. I'm going to make a thread about the magic of OoTs story telling soon and how voice acting really isn't needed in a Zelda game. I used to beat this once a weekend until MM came out, which I beat once and never played again, although I got every single mask(Fierce Deity hype), but it took me till my botw Zelda marathon to realize why it's so good.

MM's true ending is amazing, especially the first shot of the tree, but OoT has so much care in almost all of the moments of dialogue, even sometimes with NPCs in the field. When I think about what a Zelda game is, I think characters. The Mario ranch and Luigi betraying Mario. The mailman/running man. The dancers in search of their master. The cowardly swordsman. The Indigo-go's. If they have really made the npcs and their quests at least as detailed as MM, I could see how that alone puts it in the 9s for some.

Majora's Mask is mechanically superior in every way, but Ocarina of Time has this sense of wonder and care, you can immediately "feel" the quality, the difference is mostly down to dev time. I'm going to make a thread about the magic of OoTs story telling soon and how voice acting really isn't needed in a Zelda game. I used to beat this once a weekend until MM came out, which I beat once and never played again, although I got every single mask(Fierce Deity hype), but it took me till my botw Zelda marathon to realize why it's so good.

MM's true ending is amazing, especially the first shot of the tree, but OoT has so much care in almost all of the moments of dialogue, even sometimes with NPCs in the field. When I think about what a Zelda game is, I think characters. The Mario ranch and Luigi betraying Mario. The mailman/running man. The dancers in search of their master. The cowardly swordsman. The Indigo-go's. If they have really made the npcs and their quests at least as detailed as MM, I could see how that alone puts it in the 9s for some.
The only thing Majora's Mask didn't do that it needed to in order to best Ocarina was the sense of discovery. It had glimmers of it. But Ocarina allowed for discovery over, and over, and over and over again. It was the perfect storm of developer focus and player free will, at the perfect time in the industry's history.

If there's one thing I'm looking forward to about Breath of the Wild, it's that it'll probably end the years of creepy weirdo internet armchair psychologists trying to psychoanalyze Aonuma and other Nintendo employees and ranting about how Zelda isn't supposed to have puzzles or talking and only the first game is good
Or how nintendo doesn't know how to make zelda anymore and they should let capcom make it again, because their games were better, when the reality is that the director of the zelda capcom games is directing breath of the wild. Or how koizumi is shackled by miyamoto and he should be the one handling zelda and not mario at all. Because of course they were all forced to do these things

Honestly, I'm not even the world's biggest Miyamoto fan. If I never saw his name mentioned again here on GAF, I would probably never bother to mention him myself.

The only reason I make posts like the ones earlier in the thread (one / two / three / four) is that some of the vitriol I see (including many posts fantasizing about the good outcomes that will finally come about after he dies) makes me positively ill.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Or how nintendo doesn't know how to make zelda anymore and they should let capcom make it again, because their games were better, when the reality is that the director of the zelda capcom games is directing breath of the wild. Or how koizumi is shackled by miyamoto and he should be the one handling zelda and not mario at all. Because of course they were all forced to do these things

Fujibayashi worked at Capcom for 10 years. He's worked at Nintendo for 12 years now. He worked at Capcom a long time ago to reference him as such anymore.

Koizumi is cool, but Aonuma was the lead 3D dungeon designer and the reason why he became the producer and team manager of Zelda.

Do we know yet if enemies respawn in the game, or are they gone from the world forever once killed?

They will disappear for a few days, then will respawn all at once. There is an in-universe justification. I suspect that guardians and minibosses (like the Hinoxes and stuff) are exempt from this, but who knows.

atr0cious

The only thing Majora's Mask didn't do that it needed to in order to best Ocarina was the sense of discovery. It had glimmers of it. But Ocarina allowed for discovery over, and over, and over and over again. It was the perfect storm of developer focus and player free will, at the perfect time in the industry's history.
I felt the masks and the mechanics of the game were the discoveries in MM. From the transformations, to the change of the ocarina (i need a guitar ocarina again, Nintendo!), the NPCs and their varied stories that you had to seek out, and how manipulating time would allow you to find them.

And Ocarina of Time isn't about freewill. You follow along and have to do everything in order. You can't even play a song until you are at the point where you actually need it. It's why I've kind of stopped playing it, but want to continue, because BotW might make it obsolete.

Fujibayashi worked at Capcom for 10 years. He's worked at Nintendo for 12 years now. He worked at Capcom a long time ago to reference him as such anymore.

Koizumi is cool, but Aonuma was the lead 3D dungeon designer and the reason why he became the producer and team manager of Zelda.

I know, it's just that it's strange the people that are so sure what direction zelda should take and they don't even know who works on what.

_Clash_

Re Aonuma

Appears to have delivered so big on the massive stage, all goes well he gets to make hig own game now if he has the idea and wants it IMO

Dug

Banned
Is there any footage of people interacting with Beedle? I'm curious if he still makes those funny noises...

Xbro

I felt the masks and the mechanics of the game were the discoveries in MM. From the transformations, to the change of the ocarina (i need a guitar ocarina again, Nintendo!), the NPCs and their varied stories that you had to seek out, and how manipulating time would allow you to find them.

And Ocarina of Time isn't about freewill. You follow along and have to do everything in order. You can't even play a song until you are at the point where you actually need it. It's why I've kind of stopped playing it, but want to continue, because BotW might make it obsolete.

Every time I play Ocarina of Time I do the dungeons in a different order. And I've played the game well over 20 times.

Every time I play Ocarina of Time I do the dungeons in a different order. And I've played the game well over 20 times.
Let's be fair: it's not wholly free form. You can do three of the dungeons in any more, as long as you know how to do stuff that means you don't need boots or arrows; then you can do another two in any order. It's not nonlinear.

TVexperto

In the podcast, they say there are moments like this in Horizon but they are scripted and just set up for the player to see. I haven't played Horizon, but this is probably something that everybody sees and it's just an illusion because it only happens during discrete moments in the game.

He says that Horizon only feels "digital" because he has played a dozen of hours of Zelda Breath Of The Wild.

He explains this by saying in Horizon, you have to look at a yellow marker to climb it. You have to find something that was scripted to be climbable. In Zelda, you can climb anything from mountains to trees. You make your own route. In Zelda, you are constantly asking can I do that. And you can 99% of the time. The game constantly rewards you for exploring.

How exactly does it reward you?

Caelus

These previews have ruined me, the first hour or so of the game will feel like a slog even without a tuorial because I'll want to leave the Great Plateau as soon as humanly possible - we only need four spirit orbs to get the paraglider right? I'm gonna race through those shrines.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
zelda breath of the wild absolutely cannot be a 10/10 here is a list of reasons why

- zelda is overrated
- when was the last good zelda? ocarina of time
- kiddy cartoon graphics no realistic
- switch is wii u power so cant render good graphics
- ugly open world flat and bland
- horizon looks better
- not powered by sony technology
- nintendo paid the press as usual
- waggle probably
- dlc season pass means game isnt even finish!!!!!!!!!

JonnyKong

zelda breath of the wild absolutely cannot be a 10/10 here is a list of reasons why

- zelda is overrated
- horizon looks better
- waggle probably

Oh lol

- zelda is overrated
- horizon looks better
- waggle probably

haha. Some of these will be actual reasons people give in the review thread.

Caelus

Fantastic! This footage answered the remaining question had about registering wildlife at stables.

Hoping for exotic stables later in the game. The current stables all have horseheads and are manned by Hylians but we know that the Rito, Zora, Goron, Gerudo and Shiekah also have civilizations / settlements in this game.

One would hope they have their own 'stables' where you can register other creatures like the Sand Walruses in the trailer or - dare I say - fucking dragons please Nintendo

LotusHD

Banned

- zelda is overrated
- horizon looks better
- waggle probably

You forgot poor barrel placement.

Erm... Both of these videos are the same. Did BestVideoMoments steal from Nintenderos?
probably lol i didnt watch either

- zelda is overrated
- horizon looks better
- waggle probably
Half of that sounds like something you probably said one time before lol

Cerium

I've done surprisingly well avoiding spoilers so far. Going into this game real fresh. Just gotta hold out another week.

FZZ

Banned
From these previews

man...

it's quickly going from game of the generation

to greatest game of all time in my eyes

lmao

jonjonaug

Remember when Nintendo announced that Zelda would be their only game on the show floor at E3 and everyone was super skeptical about it?

Top Bottom