• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Charamiwa

Banned
Correct. I've played beyond 5 hours. Record the whole thing so far actually, but this preview was only for 5 hours from the beginning.

But did you sit down and write the review after a lot more time with it? If so the impressions must be influenced by stuff that happens after that. How do you reconcile all that?

random25

From the GX video, they mentioned a new mechanic for upgrading hearts and stamina. So no heart collecting this time around?

FelipeMGM

Oh man, all these ultra glowing previews, Im so happy. The Wii Zelda's never did a thing for me and this seems very different and right up my alley

bomblord1

Banned
From the GX video, they mentioned a new mechanic for upgrading hearts and stamina. So no heart collecting this time around?

You use the
orbs from shrines and offer them to Goddess statues to increase either your hearts and Stamina (but you can only chose one)
based on the preview I read.

Coffinhal

You can invert vertical and horizontal camera, mess with camera sensitivity, turn aiming with motion controls on or off, switch the jump button from X to B, Fix the minimap direction, change the HUD to Pro (no control icons or indicators for sound, temp, and time), and change message window transparency. That's it.

Thanks! Turning HUD to Pro also disables mini map ? What's left on the screen when you disable everything you can ?

Reading a few previews, clearly a lot of still under embargo and this sounds like the greatest game ever made. BUT I'm afraid at the lack of mini games and just fun diversions to do in the world. Maybe they can't say, maybe some one can send a wink wink my way but is it still zelda like in that there are a ton of fun mini games and weed fun stuff to do outside the normal exploration?

God. Damn.

I saw this coming but it looks like Pikmin 3 will be dethroned as Wii U's masterpiece. *Everything* I'm reading in these previews is exactly what I wanted from Zelda.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, all these ultra glowing reviews, Im so happy. The Wii Zelda's never did a thing for me and this seems very different and right up my alley

Previews!

I'm having such a hard time not clicking on anything and just watch quotes and gifs lol.

unrealist

My greatest regret in life, when I tell my grandchildren in future, is I never get to see a mediocre Zelda game ever.

Grandchild whips out mobile phone with Clash of Hyrule, "You need 500 more coins to upgrade Master Sword to Level 5. "Passes away in peace"

Can't wait for BOTW!!!

Chaos17

I'm not sure since it's being sometime Nintendo told that infos. But yes, you won't find piece heart anymore in the wild anymore.

These amazing previews!

God damn!!!

I've lived my whole life in anticipation for this!

BRING
IT
ON

pEvqHEx.gif

So all weapons break. But they all seem to be plentiful to scavenge. Weapon storage is limited.. is there somewhere we can store weapons or other things?

Reading a few previews, clearly a lot of still under embargo and this sounds like the greatest game ever made. BUT I'm afraid at the lack of mini games and just fun diversions to do in the world. Maybe they can't say, maybe some one can send a wink wink my way but is it still zelda like in that there are a ton of fun mini games and weed fun stuff to do outside the normal exploration?

They're only allowed to discuss the first five hours . But GameXplain talked about multiple towns and spending hours in each one finding stuff to do. I'm pretty sure there's going to be some minigames.

Phoenixus

You use the
orbs from shrines and offer them to Goddess statues to increase either your hearts and Stamina (but you can only chose one)
based on the preview I read.

Wait,
Stamina is upgradeable?
After just finishing Skyward Sword all I can say is thank fuck for that.

I'm actually shocked it's being received this well. Like, I knew people were going to like it, but I can't remember the last time I've seen this many different sites so excited about one game.

Rodin

I see no value in the additional work required to obtain these additional copies of weapons. To have a great array of weapons with individual gameplay at your disposal does not mean they need to be distructible. It just adds some overhead that requires redundant work, but offers not meaningful challenge and therefore is necessarily without a value. In Skyward Sword (or TP, after the intial stretch of boredom) you didn't have to do anything just to restock your basic weaponry and I expect a lower density of relevant gameplay content in BotW as a consequence. Having a decent amount of traditional dungeons and 120 puzzle oriented shrines (possibly mitigating my general issue with open world games: Nothing mechanically interesting in the world, all superfluous "immersion" fluff) on top of that might apeace me, but I am certainly not happy about weapon breaking.
This game has a survival component though, and the weapons durability It's ok not to like a mechanic, but it's doesn't seem to be without reasons and (at least from what i've seen) a lot of thought behind it. Ultimately i'm gonna need to play the game to establish if i like it, but from what i've seen i think i'm going to be fine with it.

Don't say that bro, i need my shooting gallery

The way the game weaves in the classic theme is fucking brilliant.

Source (GameXplain)

I knew it. I knew it was going to be in the game.

My greatest regret in life, when I tell my grandchildren in future, is I never get to see a mediocre Zelda game ever.

Grandchild whips out mobile phone with Clash of Hyrule, "You need 500 more coins to upgrade Master Sword to Level 5. "Passes away in peace"

haha. very nice.

Top Bottom