• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ont

I have played many games since 1991, this is the best one so far. Even visiting non-gamer friends seem to get captured by it when they see me playing.

The Great Plateau alone is already an excellent tutorial area with lots of things to do and see. Far more fun than most full games. Think I spent a solid 8 or 9 hours there.

But then you leave the plateau and...

giphy.gif

Compsiox

Banned
I completed the 2 shrines in The Great Plateau but I still haven't been able to craft yet. I can't craft at fires either.

What am I doing wrong?

tesqui

There are 67 MC reviews and still not a single score below 90. I know there has to be at least one dude out there that's gonna drop that 5/10.

Thinking back to how last year when they were showing the Great Plateau and everyone was like "omg they're showing too much of the game " is fucking HILARIOUS

edit: meant this for the OT lol sorry

sleepnaught

Been playing Zelda for the past few hours with my 6 year old nephew. He immediately fell in love with the Switch and now Zelda too. Already humming the village tunes. Worth every penny :)

hao chi

Holy shit, I just found out that this game does the Witcher 3 thing where your horse will just 'steer' automatically if you're on a road. SO GOOD.

I think Twilight Princess did that as well (I haven't played TP in a while so I could be wrong), and before that Shadow of the Colossus did it.

Nosgotham

I played this game for ten hours straight and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. It's amazing. Even better than the reviews. Masterpiece. Holy shit

The game is iconic. Hats off to Nintendo for really going for it and changing the series in such a drastic way. I wasn't sure they had it in them but they really nailed it.

Alright after reading some actual user reviews. I want to play this (a friend has to but I won't ask until he finishes it). But the only problem is... Zelda has been the only franchise I have ever played with interest. Whether it's the older games to N64 to Wii... I have finished them all.

The catch... it's always been through borrowing from friends since I've never found a justification to buy a Nintendo console since things usually end up on emulation anyway. What other games can be interesting besides LOZ and Smash Bros. on the switch? I don't like Mario games.

I can't justify buying a switch for 1 game. And I already have a Pro.

Splatoon 2 will be great for sure and it releases soon!

Xenoblade is another thing you could look into, same with Fire Emblem, Shin Megami Tensei, etc if you're into RPGs or, in the case of Fire Emblem, Strategy RPGS. Pokemon will be coming out for the system definitely, so that could be fun. Do you like Mario Kart? Mario Kart 8 is by far the best MK game and now it's only fault - its subpar Battle Mode - is being fixed. ARMS looks great too. Those are the things we know are coming for sure - you can check them out.

Anteo

Alright after reading some actual user reviews. I want to play this (a friend has to but I won't ask until he finishes it). But the only problem is... Zelda has been the only franchise I have ever played with interest. Whether it's the older games to N64 to Wii... I have finished them all.

The catch... it's always been through borrowing from friends since I've never found a justification to buy a Nintendo console since things usually end up on emulation anyway. What other games can be interesting besides LOZ and Smash Bros. on the switch? I don't like Mario games.

I can't justify buying a switch for 1 game. And I already have a Pro.

Do you have to play it *now*?
Wait a bit maybe it will be sold for cheaper, or they will release some other games that may interest you (xenoblade, splatoon, etc)

When you complete the first Shrine:

The look on Link's face when the Spirit Orb absorbs into his chest is priceless and very cool. I also like it that he only reacts that way the first time, because after that he's used to what happens and he just expects it.

I notice this too. Link is hesitant to put the Slate onto pedestal at the first tower, and also hesitant to touch the blue force field surrounding the monk. Amazing details.

Crticisms from people who aren't playing the game naturally dont hold much weight. Same should be true for any game.

That said I'm about 3 hours in, and the praise is pretty hyperbolic in my opinion. I have some issues with the game (getting around/climbing is slow), and some things that others seem to find amazing I think are pretty average (graphics, sound effects and presentation in general).

My mind could change further into the game, but some people talk about it like it's "perfect".

To be clear, I wasn't speaking about people like you that don't think the game is all that perfect, I was talking about people who didn't play or will not play the game and yet are trying to find faults in it. Personally, I'm absolutely loving it thus far, but I have a triforce tattooed to my wrist so I'm not exactly unbiased lol. I understand people playing it and not liking it all that much, what I don't understand is people not even playing it and saying it's not that great or that the scores are unjustified.

I've been playing all day today. I spent 5 hours in the great plateu before finally leaving, and even then it was because I really want to know what the story is about. Did a somewhat hidden boss fight that surprised the hell out of me, felt pretty damn cool.

If the game keeps it up, I can see myself also calling it one of the greatest.

Beepos

Game is amazing. BUT, noway it should of received a 98MC with these docked framerate issues.

I'm sorry, but they should of just kept it at 720p docked. Running through the Great Plateau and changing camera angles it's very noticeable and I have no idea why the reviews just accepted this.

Did they just review handheld exclusively?

Game is amazing. BUT, noway it should of received a 98MC with these docked framerate issues.

I'm sorry but they should of just kept it at 720p docked. Running through the Great Plateau and changing camera angles it's very noticeable and I have no idea why the reviews just accepted this.

Did they just review handheld exclusively?

You don't review each quality in particular but the overall experience of the game.

From what I've read in most reviews, most found the overall experience so spectacular that they made any flaws that may exist almost negligible.

Beepos

You don't review each quality in particular but the overall experience of the game.

From what I've read in most reviews, most found the overall experience so spectacular that they made any flaws that may exist almost negligible.

I can accept that, but when the overall experience is 20fps at 900p on a game that was built for the WiiU, I feel most just glided over it.

I can accept that, but when the overall experience is 20fps at 900p on a game that was built for the WiiU, I feel most just glided over it.

Maybe they enjoyed the game greatly and the technical performance did not take away from that

You don't start from 100 and start cutting. Well, not all reviewers do, anyway.

If you want to start reviewing games that way, start a site and get on metacritic. Reviewers aren't obligated to review things to your standards.

Pygrus

The docked performance outside of the plateau is a lot better. Still dips in some places, but it doesn't take much away from the overall experience.

Karak

Ya would have liked that as well. Well passed the starting area and it still has drops and absolutely does impact the title for me. 720p docked would have been a great thing for now and then maybe patch it up to a higher res if they could have got it stable.

Realeza

Banned
The docked performance outside of the plateau is a lot better. Still dips in some places, but it doesn't take much away from the overall experience.

No kidding. In 10 hours I've put into the game (all docked), maybe 3 minutes in total had any considerable frame rate drops. Saying it has major performance issues is blowing shit out of proportion for no reason.

It's not though. It got a bit choppy at the start but the last 8 hours of gameplay it's slowed down once for me to the point where I noticed for a moment. Even then it wasn't the end of the world

Beepos

No kidding. In 10 hours I've put into the game (all docked), maybe 3 minutes in total had any considerable frame rate drops. Saying it has major performance issues is blowing shit out of proportion for no reason.

If it is just the starting area then I optimistically look forward to the rest. Outside the initial technical issues, the game is a masterpiece.

It's not though. It got a bit choppy at the start but the last 8 hours of gameplay it's slowed down once for me to the point where I noticed for a moment. Even then it wasn't the end of the world

No, going through the Great Plataea it slows down regularly (e.g enough to be noticeable). If it just contained to that area then great, but it's super apparent docked.

Hydrus

I'm about 7 hours or so into the game. Just left the great plateau. So far this game feels like an 8/10. Not blowing me away. I'm not really digging the graphics all that much. Everything looks too bright. Some of the textures, like the trees, look straight out of a PS2 game. Lots of bad frame drops. Also not a lot of variety in enemies. Not a lot of music, which is disappointing.

But with all that said, I love the freedom the game gives you. Love the challenge. This is the hardest Zelda game I've played. Gonna keep playing tomorrow and see how things go.

I can't believe I haven't posted in this thread yet. Breath of the Wild is the first game in ages to tear me away from posting/browsing. Like, I'm actually playing a game again instead of talking about it.

hughesta

Banned
I've put maybe 13 hours into this now and I think it has to be one of the best of all time. Certainly the best open world game.

RAWRferal

This game is freaking ridiculous, currently sitting here tired off my ass because I said I'd play half an hour before bed, that turned into 2 hours and I literally had to force myself to stop.

I regret nothing.

Astral Dog

I'm about 7 hours or so into the game. Just left the great plateau. So far this game feels like an 8/10. Not blowing me away. I'm not really digging the graphics all that much. Everything looks too bright. Some of the textures, like the trees, look straight out of a PS2 game. Lots of bad frame drops. Also not a lot of variety in enemies. Not a lot of music, which is disappointing.

But with all that said, I love the freedom the game gives you. Love the challenge. This is the hardest Zelda game I've played. Gonna keep playing tomorrow and see how things go.
BoTW has the biggest enemy variety in Zelda by FAR

The overall experience isn't 20 fps. That only meant there were drops in areas that would lock to 20 fps, that does not mean most of the game is in 20 fps.

Like I said, I'm gonna keep playing and see how things change. So far the only enemies Ive fought are the boblikins or whatever there called,keese, and that giant rock dude.

Oh boy are you in for a treat. Sounds like you haven't even left the plateau

KrawlMan

The overall experience isn't 20 fps. That only meant there were drops in areas that would lock to 20 fps, that does not mean most of the game is in 20 fps.

So, I'm guessing Nintendo hasn't commented on the framerate complaints? It'd be nice to know if they have anybody over there actively working on improvement.

The game performs okay on Wii U. The framerate hasn't bothered me too much yet.

What is bothering me is that they obviously removed features to make it the same on the Switch. The Sheika Slate was clearly supposed to work as your Wii U gamepad, but you can't use it at the same time as on your tv. . Honestly.. that seemed like such an obvious thing to have the map/inventory on the gamepad while playing and I was looking in the menus trying to find the option for it for a while. Apparently you can't use the gamepad and the TV.. one or the other. This would have made the Wii U version better than the Switch version other than graphically.

KtSlime

The game performs okay on Wii U. The framerate hasn't bothered me too much yet.

What is bothering me is that they obviously removed features to make it the same on the Switch. The Sheika Slate was clearly supposed to work as your Wii U gamepad, but you can't use it at the same time as on your tv. . Honestly.. that seemed like such an obvious thing to have the map/inventory on the gamepad while playing and I was looking in the menus trying to find the option for it for a while. Apparently you can't use the gamepad and the TV.. one or the other. This would have made the Wii U version better than the Switch version other than graphically.

They not only removed features, but they avoided adding Switch specific features to keep them the same.

It would have been nice to see what they could have done if they were using the unique features of each system, but the game is great as it is. I have not been this engrossed in a game for years.

Please help

I'm in the Zora dungeon Van Ruta and I left it to get more arrows and now it won't let me back in - the Elephant blocks every attempt to reenter it - how do I get back into it?

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
They said that it was impossible for games to score higher then 95 this gen, they just didn't realize that there hadn't been any games that deserved 95+ until now.

It surely would be nicer without drops, but on the other hand who cares. This is one of the best games ever made and will set standards for the next decade.

goldenpp72

Anyone who would dock this game points for the performance issues is silly. It's not ideal but it's rare enough to be a very mild thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom