• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fledz

Crossposting from another thread, for anyone tracking their play time.

The lack of gameplay time was bad enough but the parental control app also lies.

I downloaded the demo of Snipperclips and accidentally launched it. Closed straight away (X on menu) before it launched.

PC app says I've played 1:10hr of it, even though I've been in another room the whole time.

jariw

Anyone who would dock this game points for the performance issues is silly. It's not ideal but it's rare enough to be a very mild thing.

A reviewer can reduce the score for anything really. If frame drops appear in the tutorial area at the start, it's a sure thing everyone will notice, and it becomes a really easy target.

But based on my own experiences after the Great Plateau, I'd say that I notice frame drops a couple of seconds for each gaming hour (playing docked on the Switch).

UrbanRats

Anyone who would dock this game points for the performance issues is silly. It's not ideal but it's rare enough to be a very mild thing.
From all the videos ive seen, it seems anything but mild.
More reviewers should actually give performance more importance, so maybe they can become more of a priority in the future.

It does change whether they played on wiiu or switch though.

N.Grim

They're stupid as hell. Especially if you're playing with a Pro controller and then need to switch to the Gamepad just to do them. Didn't know there was more than one on top of it 😔And yes I know about the "trick" but doesn't seem to be any easier for me or my friends who tried it. Wii U version don't know it controls any smoother on the Switch. Definitely one of my least favorite aspects of the game.
?
I used the Pro without problem

The game performs okay on Wii U. The framerate hasn't bothered me too much yet.

What is bothering me is that they obviously removed features to make it the same on the Switch. The Sheika Slate was clearly supposed to work as your Wii U gamepad, but you can't use it at the same time as on your tv. . Honestly.. that seemed like such an obvious thing to have the map/inventory on the gamepad while playing and I was looking in the menus trying to find the option for it for a while. Apparently you can't use the gamepad and the TV.. one or the other. This would have made the Wii U version better than the Switch version other than graphically.

Actually Aonuma (?) said that when they started developing for Switch they noticed that the gameplay was way better without Gamepad. Then they took it from Wii U version too. Said something like "it takes you away from the world if you need to look down every once in a while".

norm9

I've seen a few framerate hiccups in my playing, but if that's a problem for you, you're missing the bigger picture.

Ricky 7

Damn, Sony and Microsoft fanboys are salty as fuck. What a bunch of babies.
I think it's mainly the Sony fans judging by the user reviews. Probably because it reviewed much higher than HZD it's really touched a nerve leading to these mass user review trollings. It's really sad.

Well it looks like a really fine game indeed. Never been into Zelda or Nintendo in the past but this might be a first. I don't intend to buy a Switch for one game though so it will have to wait.

mingo

Guys who are saying it doesn't deserve 10s or 98 on mc due to some small amount of dodgy framerate, you do realise that the only game that's 99% on mc ran at mostly sub 20fps.....?

LowRoller

This is my first time using ammibo I'm tapping the zelda ammibo on my pro controller, but nothing happens . Does anyone know why ?

Edit: Sorry thought i was posting in the zelda OT.

baberunisei

I still haven't played the game, but just from the gameplay videos I already know I will have a problem with the framerate. I'm so afraid of not liking it as much as everybody just because of this technical issue... GAF, what have you turned me into?

?
I used the Pro without problem
Odd mine told me I had to switch to the Gamepad for that part..? Did start the game with the Gamepad originally not sure if that makes a difference or not. I'll give it another go later launching the game from the menu with the pro controller and see if it lets me do it that way. Thanks for the tip though, if that works I'll be relieved!

bs135

I still haven't played the game, but just from the gameplay videos I already know I will have a problem with the framerate. I'm so afraid of not liking it as much as everybody just because of this technical issue... GAF, what have you turned me into?

Play the game undocked then. Problem solved.

This plays like the zelda game I've always wanted. I find them all to be varying degrees of good/great after ocarina of time, which is one of my fave games of all time. But since then I've never truly loved one. This one I feel I already do and still so much left.

BUT I wouldn't want the next game to be the same thing with different shrines/world. Kind of hard to explain what I mean but I'm just loving this too much now to care about the next one but it is on the back of my mind.

Game is the real deal though.

Social

It really is one of those "gets better after each hour of playing it" games.

At first, the controls worked against me and the game was ok... Then it all clicked and it's been just amazing.

Cptkrush

Odd mine told me I had to switch to the Gamepad for that part..? Did start the game with the Gamepad originally not sure if that makes a difference or not. I'll give it another go later launching the game from the menu with the pro controller and see if it lets me do it that way. Thanks for the tip though, if that works I'll be relieved!
I have a feeling Y'all are playing on different consoles. Wii U pro controller doesn't have gyro in it, switch pro does

Nibel

After having spent a night with this game, I understand why it was rated so high

cuz goddamn

Everybody needs to play this, full stop

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I do wonder if it'll manage to keep it's average. It'll be far mor impressive than OoT score if manages have the highest pure average rating despite having a ton more reviews.

eot

Banned
They said that it was impossible for games to score higher then 95 this gen, they just didn't realize that there hadn't been any games that deserved 95+ until now.
Well, Zelda scores are always a bit inflated so you have to take that into account too.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Well, Zelda scores are always a bit inflated so you have to take that into account too.

Nowhere near enough for this. Skyward sword got a 93 . A lot of people not personally have liked the game but considering when it released and it's score unless you have massive hate for it's control scheme it's not an outrageous score.

Hindl

Like I said, I'm gonna keep playing and see how things change. So far the only enemies Ive fought are the boblikins or whatever there called,keese, and that giant rock dude.

Crticisms from people who aren't playing the game naturally dont hold much weight. Same should be true for any game.

That said I'm about 3 hours in, and the praise is pretty hyperbolic in my opinion. I have some issues with the game (getting around/climbing is slow), and some things that others seem to find amazing I think are pretty average (graphics, sound effects and presentation in general).

My mind could change further into the game, but some people talk about it like it's "perfect".

When I was on the Plateau I was with both of you. I thought maybe I had overhyped it in my head, it was a good game, progression was fun, but I wasn't getting blown away. But once you're actually in the world and start exploring, it takes off like a rocket. Everything you do is rewarded, and it gives you that feeling that you're getting one over on the game and cheating by doing things you shouldn't be able to do/being places you shouldn't be able to be. Get out and explore and see if you still have the same issues

When I was on the Plateau I was with both of you. I thought maybe I had overhyped it in my head, it was a good game, progression was fun, but I wasn't getting blown away. But once you're actually in the world and start exploring, it takes off like a rocket. Everything you do is rewarded, and it gives you that feeling that you're getting one over on the game and cheating by doing things you shouldn't be able to do/being places you shouldn't be able to be. Get out and explore and see if you still have the same issues

I played a couple more hours tonight, just left the plateau. Yes, I do find myself enjoying it more as time goes on! I've only spent 10 mins in the next area, but it seems like there's plenty to see and do.

Hindl

I played a couple more hours tonight, just left the plateau. Yes, I do find myself enjoying it more as time goes on! I've only spent 10 mins in the next area, but it seems like there's plenty to see and do.

Yeah, I think part of it is a huge part of what makes this game so amazing is finding new things and experiencing them for the first time, and the plateau is the area we've seen dozens of times now. There's a lot of freedom in the plateau, but you're still restricted somewhat. Plus you don't have the paraglider or a horse yet. Once you get that, your traversal options get way better and it helps things a lot

Man, I saw this mentioned in a review and that guy was spot on... traveling for so long and finally reaching a stable, with people around the campfires, people on horseback aproaching after a while, seeing Beedle put up shop... it feels like I really came from a goddamn adventure and can finally rest for a bit here, with everything I need in perfect reach. I don't remember which review talked about it, but props, my feeling is absolutely mutual.

I'm head over heels with this game. I never expected an open world game to hook me the way this one does. I was dubious about the high praise at first, but now I get it.

That being said, it's embarrassing how many man-babies this game has caused. On both sides of the fence. I feel like I'm on the ign boards circa 2006.

Quonny

Fanboys are the worst. You have people trolling MC with shitty reviews to make themselves feel better and you have people in the OT calling people who don't like a system 'lazy' and laughing at them like a bully surrounded by a bunch of goons.

eot

Banned
Nowhere near enough for this. Skyward sword got a 93 . A lot of people not personally have liked the game but considering when it released and it's score unless you have massive hate for it's control scheme it's not an outrageous score.
I think it's pretty outrageous (Bloodborne has 92) but whatever. I'm sure BotW is a great game.

Mathieran

Banned
I'm playing Horizon right now with Zelda on the Wii U next. I don't know how this will be better than Horizon, but if it is.. Holy shit. And I saw Nier is looking great too. Even Mass Effect is looking promising. What a year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom