• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still haven't played the game, but just from the gameplay videos I already know I will have a problem with the framerate. I'm so afraid of not liking it as much as everybody just because of this technical issue... GAF, what have you turned me into?

I'm pretty sensitive to framerate, but the two games I completely don't care about it are Bloodborne and Zelda. You're having too much fun to care.

jariw

I think it's pretty outrageous (Bloodborne has 92) but whatever. I'm sure BotW is a great game.

Bloodborne is a 2015 game. Skyward Sword is a 2011 game.

Anyhow, the problem with BotW is not the 98/100 MC. It's the game scores of the games preceding it that's the problem. The current system only works for games that evolves fairly linear with the hardware evolution.

When there's a huge skip within a genre (like for the 3D open-world genre in this case), there is no room for score expansion.

takriel

I'm playing Horizon right now with Zelda on the Wii U next. I don't know how this will be better than Horizon, but if it is.. Holy shit. And I saw Nier is looking great too. Even Mass Effect is looking promising. What a year!

If you can look past the obvious graphical limitations... prepare to be blown away.

Mathieran

Banned
If you can look past the obvious graphical limitations... prepare to be blown away.

That's insane. It's gonna be hard considering how amazing Horizon looks and runs, but at least I'm prepared. I think it's why I need to finish Horizon first though. I love BOTW's art style though so I think that will help me look past it. As long as it doesn't turn into a slideshow in combat I'm fine.

I've been playing on my computer monitor for hours. I definitely notice performance slowdowns, but...they just don't bother me. Like at all. There are times the game looks stunning as well, particularly when you're in a lot of grass that's reflecting a lot of sunlight haha.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Are there going to be more reviews rolling in? It's been at 67 for a a day or two now.
67 are roughly the number of reviewers that got the game pre-release now we're just waiting for the reviewers that got the game at launch etc to finish and review it which takes time.

reKon

Banned
The question is - do I at least play Twilight Princess before this? I've never completed a full Zelda game before.

So after playing for around 20 hours, I can safely say this game lives up to its MC score and then some. It's my favorite Zelda game since the original.

Pastry

Banned
Does every shrine have an extra treasure?

I'm in the one right outside Dueling Peaks stable and can't find an extra treasure.

Never mind, I find it lol

Hydrus

The question is - do I at least play Twilight Princess before this? I've been completed a full Zelda game before.

Ehh, maybe just jump straight into botw. I played TPHD right before this and I think it hurt my view on it.

It'll certainly make Breath of the Wild look much better in comparison.. lol. Go for it.

Its been the opposite for me. Twilight Princess hd looked more clearer and sharper.

Scoops

Banned
67th review, 10/10 from Let's Play Video Games. Looks like we're starting to get rollin again after a brief pause.

Despite 3 reviews being put up yesterday and only one of them being a 10/10, the average of those three reviews was actually more than a 98/100 so it didn't hurt the game's meta.

100, 98 and 97 average out to 98.333.

Deku89

I'm so glad it's lived up to the hype. A lot of games can be like candy or fast food: it tastes really good, but it can leave you feeling crappy and lethargic. However, botw is more like home cooked food: natural, nastalgic, and wholesome.

I'm actually wondering what the verdict will be after the honeymoon period.

Scoops

Banned
I'm so glad it's lived up to the hype. A lot of games can be like candy or fast food: it tastes really good, but it can leave you feeling crappy and lethargic. However, botw is more like home cooked food: natural, nastalgic, and wholesome.

People in the OT seem enthralled by it

kswiston

Despite 3 reviews being put up yesterday and only one of them being a 10/10, the average of those three reviews was actually more than a 98/100 so it didn't hurt the game's meta.

Metacritic reviews aren't weighted evenly. For instance, I believe that an IGN review is worth several small site reviews as far as weighting is concerned.

Breath of the Wild. It's like a home-cooked meal.™

Nosgotham

I was trying that but maybe I'm mixing the wrong stuff.

So you have to use a bug or a frog or something?

But no seafood/meat?

A critter like a frog or cricket combined with a horn

Meat will make meals that's also give stay boosts but also hearts .

IceIpor

So, best seller of 2017 is now Zelda on Amazon.com and .ca.
Wii U Zelda even topped Switch version on Amazon.ca.
Pro controller sitting behind Zelda.
(PS Gift cards is ahead of Zelda overall though.)

takriel

Breath of the Wild is my favorite Zelda game and one of my favorite games of all time. I am so happy that the series has finally moved past the ALttP/OoT formula.

Right now I would say Xenoblade, Dark Souls, and Breath of the Wild are my favorite games of the modern HD era.

Realeza

Banned
Breath of the Wild is my favorite Zelda game and one of my favorite games of all time. I am so happy that the series has finally moved past the ALttP/OoT formula.

Right now I would say Xenoblade, Dark Souls, and Breath of the Wild are my favorite games of the modern HD era.

Xenoblade ain't HD though :p

Unless you meant Chronicles X.

royox

Any reviews talking about the game suddently working at 2fps for more than 5 seconds during some battles?

5 more days til I can play this game guys.

5 more days.

The weekend has been agony.

I start lectures again tomorrow so will be keeping myself busy with work and titanfall 2/ Bloodborne.

I shall soon join you all in gaming bliss.

Slaythe

I'm playing Horizon right now with Zelda on the Wii U next. I don't know how this will be better than Horizon, but if it is.. Holy shit. And I saw Nier is looking great too. Even Mass Effect is looking promising. What a year!

Hi.

Same situation here.

Horizon is a great game, Zelda is better because it has more attention to details in some areas and has some really refreshing designs. I don't think both games are similar, they clearly aimed for different things, and I love both !

And... :D bought Nier and Mass effect too.

For Zelda's graphics "after Horizon", don't worry too much. The cell shading makes it easy to tolerate all the shortcomings of the technical aspects.

Well having sunk over 12 hours into this and barely touching the surface, I'm in love. Never thought my two favourite Zelda games would ever be topped, I stand corrected. In my 30 odd years gaming I think this will easily be my favourite game, if I didn't play another game I would be leaving on a high. Funny thing is my ten year old nephew loves it too, he never liked Zelda before, so that makes me even happier.

jariw

Well having sunk over 12 hours into this and barely touching the surface, I'm in love. Never thought my two favourite Zelda games would ever be topped, I stand corrected. In my 30 odd years gaming I think this will easily be my favourite game, if I didn't play another game I would be leaving on a high. Funny thing is my ten year old nephew loves it too, he never liked Zelda before, so that makes me even happier.

I think this game can be enjoyed by lots of kids that are fans of Terraria or Minecraft.

FinalAres

Nowhere near enough for this. Skyward sword got a 93 . A lot of people not personally have liked the game but considering when it released and it's score unless you have massive hate for it's control scheme it's not an outrageous score.
Thing is Skyward Sword may not be a bad game in its own right (if you don't take into account the control scheme) but it's also nothing special compared to other games.

If you're a super fan of a series, like I am with Final Fantasy, you lose perspective of what a game is achieving taking into account the wider context. That's what happened with Skyward Sword's reviews.

Now that may be happening with BOTW too, but as far as I can tell, it's a genuinely groundbreaking game. I can't wait to play.

I think this game can be enjoyed by lots of kids that are fans of Terraria or Minecraft.

He usually prefers GTA, CoD, Last of Us online etc despite me hiding my copies from him. Though I did get him playing Minecraft for a bit. So I'm glad he is playing a game more suited to his age, hopefully a sign of things to come.

I dont think that a 98 MC with 67 reviews tallied will ever be seen again, tbh. Not that review scores ultimately mean that much, but I cant see this happening again

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Thing is Skyward Sword may not be a bad game in its own right (if you don't take into account the control scheme) but it's also nothing special compared to other games.

If you're a super fan of a series, like I am with Final Fantasy, you lose perspective of what a game is achieving taking into account the wider context. That's what happened with Skyward Sword's reviews.

Now that may be happening with BOTW too, but as far as I can tell, it's a genuinely groundbreaking game. I can't wait to play.
Eh Skyward sword at least has arguably the best use of motion controls at the time. Not many games can claim that regardless of how a person feels about motion controls themselves.

eot

Banned

Metacritic uses a weighted average

Mory Dunz

Eh Skyward sword at least has arguably the best use of motion controls at the time. Not many games can claim that regardless of how a person feels about motion controls themselves.

Yeah I have no idea what op is talking about.

What "wider context"?
"Nothing special compared to other games"?

What game did what SS did with wii motion controls on that scale? Like, what game do you even compare SS to...?

If someone doesn't enjoy it, that's a different a issue.

The game is trending now on twitch

78f21605d5c5147eb3dafc1da20ab23b.png

It has to be because the critic reception, Zelda games don't usually do this good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom