• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Realeza

Banned
The game is trending now on twitch

78f21605d5c5147eb3dafc1da20ab23b.png

It has to be because the critic reception, Zelda games don't usually do this good.

The open world style of this game fits well to the "let's play" videos.

I was just thinking back what a crazy week it's been. First reading all the impressions and building up the crazy hype just for the reviews and how they turned out to be even higher than probably anyone expected. I still remember coming to my laptop and refreshing Metacritic page and I was hoping something along 93-94 and couldn't believe my eyes with the 98. And now playing the game and realizing it's just as amazing as the reviews said.

Feels like historical event and I wonder if we'll ever experience something like this.

Who knows maybe we get close already later this year with Mario.

Garlador

I was just thinking back what a crazy week it's been. First reading all the impressions and building up the crazy hype just for the reviews and how they turned out to be even higher than probably anyone expected. I still remember coming to my laptop and refreshing Metacritic page and I was hoping something along 93-94 and couldn't believe my eyes with the 98. And now playing the game and realizing it's just as amazing as the reviews said.

Feels like historical event and I wonder if we'll ever experience something like this.

I feel this, largely because it's been nearly 20 years since Ocarina of Time raised the bar on the video game medium and blew me away.

There were good, even GREAT, Zelda games before and since Ocarina of Time, but none that just shook the very pillars of the video game world. They were too safe, too scared to buck a proven, winning formula.

So 19 years later, we get Breath of the Wild, a game that upends so much and succeeds beyond most players' wildest dreams.

I am legitimately skeptical we'll get a watershed Zelda title like this for awhile. We may or may not, but it was just shy of 19 years ago that Ocarina of Time sucked me in and rocked the gaming landscape. It sort of weirds me out to think of myself 20 years from now before another Zelda title accomplishes this same achievement.

But, for now... We have Breath of the Wild.

squid

I really wonder about how the reviews will affect sales. Surely having one of the best reviewed games of all time launch with your system is a pretty big help?

I really wonder about how the reviews will affect sales. Surely having one of the best reviewed games of all time launch with your system is a pretty big help?

I'm kind of seeing the N64 scenario. Mario 64 was rated incredibly well for it's time back then and just added to it selling amazingly well in it's first few months.

My fear is that it'll get the same issue as N64 though - initially things go well, but the low amount of software releases keeps at essentially at N64 level of success, which in comparison to Wii U would be a really good thing.

KooopaKid

Banned

Yeah this moment and this game will be talked about for decades. It's incredible to be there and seeing it and playing it right now.

FinalAres

Eh Skyward sword at least has arguably the best use of motion controls at the time. Not many games can claim that regardless of how a person feels about motion controls themselves.

The problem isn't the motion controls themselves, it's that they male the game too much like work and not enough fun.

Regardless the point stands. skyward Sword is a very good game, but there are many many better games. Giving it anything above an 8 is dubious, 93 on metacritic? That's crazy talk, even for the time.

Servbot24

Banned
The problem isn't the motion controls themselves, it's that they male the game too much like work and not enough fun.

Regardless the point stands. skyward Sword is a very good game, but there are many many better games. Giving it anything above an 8 is dubious, 93 on metacritic? That's crazy talk, even for the time.

I don't care for it either but it's not a conspiracy. Some people just liked it better than we did. All there is to it.

That's exactly the feeling I got playing this game. It feels historical. Everything about it just screams to me that this is a high point in the industry. It isn't perfect because no game will ever be perfect. You can design the game to somehow run at the highest resolution possible with no FPS drops and incredible puzzles all throughout and yet someone might find it boring. BOTW isn't perfect and we shouldn't look at it expecting it to be a revolution and to give us something we don't know about. I usually dislike how something might be "bigger than the sum of its parts", but if anything ever deserved this phrase is this game. It's just beautiful, the only parallel it has absolutely is Ocarina of Time.

So personally I don't think it's this good. I think it's better. And it makes me happy to see so many people agreeing on this.

ghibli99

Those Metacritic user reviews... what is wrong with people? "This game is great, but it's not perfect! 1/10" WTF? Is this just to try to protest the 98%?

weekev

Banned
Those Metacritic user reviews... what is wrong with people? "This game is great, but it's not perfect! 1/10" WTF? Is this just to try to protest the 98%?
Some of the low user reviews are hilarious. There's a PlayStation fanboy one where he admits he's never played the game but is giving it a 1 anyway cos he hates Nintendo.

I've been playing on my computer monitor for hours. I definitely notice performance slowdowns, but...they just don't bother me. Like at all. There are times the game looks stunning as well, particularly when you're in a lot of grass that's reflecting a lot of sunlight haha.

Are you playing on the Switch or Wii U? If the Switch, does it have full RGB output or is it only limited like the Wii U?

I ask cause you're playing on a monitor

At this point why do they even have the user reviews? It's always a shit show

Are you playing on the Switch or Wii U? If the Switch, does it have full RGB output or is it only limited like the Wii U?

I ask cause you're playing on a monitor

At this point why do they even have the user reviews? It's always a shit show

You can select full or limited in the settings.

kunonabi

Motion controls didn't make skyward sword feel like work to me. 93 is pretty fair to me as its pretty much the pinnacle as far motion controls and Zelda games in the OoT template go. It's easily my most replayed Zelda game after aLttP.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I really love how little this game gives a fuck about you. Midway up a mountain? Fuck you. It's raining. Find another path. Oh look, there's a shrine. Good.

Edit: this was actually meant for the OT but whatever.

ryechu

I really love how little this game gives a fuck about you. Midway up a mountain? Fuck you. It's raining. Find another path. Oh look, there's a shrine. Good.

I wish there was a resourceful way to make a fire under rain. Like a loot item that can create cover. Because fuck rain, I want a time skip.

The Argus

Honestly, looking at GTAV, I think Red Dead Redemption 2 has a solid chance of a 97ish score too.

Same here. If anything it will be a 95 with GTA VI taking the 97/98 in 2020. While I was on team 2017 for RDR2, I think R*'s hubris and not wanting to compete with (review wise not sales) Zelda may push it to Spring 2018.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I wish there was a resourceful way to make a fire under rain. Like a loot item that can create cover. Because fuck rain, I want a time skip.
You can make fires out of wood and flint, but I'm not sure if you can actually sit at them.

The game is trending now on twitch

78f21605d5c5147eb3dafc1da20ab23b.png

It has to be because the critic reception, Zelda games don't usually do this good.

Kinda blown away by this to be honest, outside of smash and the mario maker phenomena, i haven't seen nintendo games trend this much. Breath of the wild has kind of a minecrafty feel to it so it's kind of fun to watch people mess around. I doubt that the game will trend like this forever of course, but if speedrunners get dedicated with it, i bet the game will remain relevant for a long time

KtSlime

how's the reception of botw in japan?

I don't know anyone with the game at the moment, however hikakin's (a very popular youtuber) play through of the first 40 minutes has 110,000 views, and was trending at top on Saturday night.

My coworkers don't really play video games.

So are any more reviews coming ? only 67 reviews on Metacritic seems a little low for a big game like this, when a lot of games can get between 80 - 100 reviews.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
If we're at the point where we're discussing MC user reviews and twitch stream numbers, it's probably about time to close shop!

Enjoy the game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom