• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening |OT| The Ballad of the Wind Fish is charting again!

Komatsu

logo-links-awakening.png

story.png

After the events of A Link to the Past, the hero Link travels by ship to other countries to train for further threats. A storm destroys his boat at sea, and he washes ashore on Koholint Island, where he is taken to the house of Tarin by his daughter Marin. She is fascinated by Link and the outside world, and tells Link wishfully that, if she were a seagull, she would leave and travel across the sea. After Link recovers his sword, a mysterious owl tells him that he must wake the Wind Fish, Koholint's guardian, in order to return home. The Wind Fish lies dreaming in a giant egg on top of Mt. Tamaranch, and can only be awakened by the eight Instruments of the Sirens.

Link proceeds to explore a series of dungeons in order to recover the eight instruments. During his search for the sixth instrument, Link goes to the Ancient Ruins. There he finds a mural that details the reality of the island: that it is merely a dream world created by the Wind Fish. After this revelation, the owl tells Link that this is only a rumor, and only the Wind Fish knows for certain whether it is true. Throughout Koholint Island, nightmare creatures attempt to obstruct Link's quest for the instruments, as they wish to rule the Wind Fish's dreamworld.

After collecting all eight instruments from the eight dungeons across Koholint, Link climbs to the top of Mt. Tamaranch and plays the Ballad of the Wind Fish. This breaks open the egg in which the Wind Fish sleeps; Link enters and confronts the last evil being, a Nightmare that takes the form of Ganon and other enemies from Link's past.[24] Its final transformation is "DethI", a cyclopean, dual-tentacled Shadow. After Link defeats DethI, the owl reveals itself to be the Wind Fish's spirit, and the Wind Fish confirms that Koholint is all his dream. When Link plays the Ballad of the Wind Fish again, he and the Wind Fish awaken; Koholint Island and all its inhabitants slowly disappear. Link finds himself lying on driftwood in the middle of the ocean, with the Wind Fish flying overhead. If the player did not lose any lives during the game, Marin is shown flying after the ending credits finish. [FROM THE WIKI]

characters.png

development.png

The original Link's Awakening began as a small proof-of-concept programmer Kazuaki Morita created in one the early Game Boy development kits, as he wanted to experiment with the new console's capabilities. It soon became an "after-hours" diversion for a number of other Nintendo EAD developers, who would work on the game after clocking out. Once a Link to the Past was released and its director Takashi Tezuka asked to be allowed to create a handheld Zelda game, he assembled the programmers who had been working on Morita's side project - as well as Morita himself - and got them to work on what would become the original game for the Game Boy platform.

switch-gameboy-comparison.png

Link's Awakening has been previously remastered for the Game Boy Color in 1998, but this time Nintendo EAD decided to go with a "retro-modern" style that evokes plastic toys, in an aesthetic very different from the pseudo-cel-shaded Wind Waker-inspired visuals of other mobile Zelda titles. Eiji Aonuma, director of Majora's Mask and the Zelda series producer, likened this art style to a "diorama". Another change is that the original Camera Shop has been replaced with a house where the play can design his or her own dungeons. Additionally, the decision was made to retain some of the dungeons retainwith 1:1 ratio of the original game, as many of the puzzles and/or action pieces would not work with a 16:9 aspect ratio.

gameplay.png

gameplay01.gif
gameplay02.gif

gameplay03.gif
gameplay04.gif

editions.png

editions-list.png

trailers.png

reception.png

q2Dnitg.png

Last edited:

ROMhack

Lovely OP.

I'm still on the fence about whether it's worth £50 but I hope to get around to it eventually.

Last edited:

NikuNashi

Really Great OP, nice work man.

I will be picking it up once the price becomes reasonable (someone completes it and trades it in and I buy it used).

Komatsu

So, I have played this game twice already: once at Japan Expo in Paris (back in July) and once again at another occasion, with a pre-release copy. I won't detail my impressions extensively as the review embargo hasn't been lifted. What I can say: the "plastic" look of the game comes out a lot better in real time than it does in the videos. The remake is gorgeous, though of course nowhere near as impressive as BOTW.

Komatsu

I'm so torn on this. I absolutely loved Link's Awakening DX, but I have a really hard time justifying paying $90 Canadian for what is essentially a prettier Game Boy game.

As someone who's played the original and the DX version extensively, I can tell you that the Switch remake is almost identical to the original. They've also included the Color Dungeon from LADX. When getting my hands on the game back in July, I was surprised at how similar it was - I went straight from Tarin's House to Toronbo Shores to get the sword without a moment's pause. Someone who's familiar with the GB/GBC game will be able to breeze through it.

WolfRathmA

Beautiful OT! Thanks!
I couldn't play any Zelda game since i played Breath Of the Wild and is now my favorite game of all time.

I will give it a try to this one!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm so torn on this. I absolutely loved Link's Awakening DX, but I have a really hard time justifying paying $90 Canadian for what is essentially a prettier Game Boy game.
To me good game is a good game, it doesn’t matter it was handheld game. I will gladly pay full price if Nintendo give same treatment to Kid Icarus Uprising.

JSoup

Banned
I've played the original so many times, the DX version as well and several hacks. There is a Marin adventure hack that's being worked on that I've been waiting for. If you check GFAQs, a few of the guides/maps are by me as well.

So yeah, preordered it two months ago and hoping for an early delivery from Amazon.

Teletraan1

Banned
I didn't get to play the original since I hate handhelds so much. ALTTP is still my favorite zelda so I will probably grab this. $90 Canadian is steep.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
When the game was announced i got bored and started to play links awakening on my gameboy. And trying to recreate the first town by drawing pixel by pixel.Using an app on my ipad pro called pixaki.
This contains 16 screen. 4x4 i think.
I used to make 1 screen every evening or so.

h1j15zb1n7k21.jpg

High res version :)

Ulysses 31

When the game was announced i got bored and started to play links awakening on my gameboy. And trying to recreate the first town by drawing pixel by pixel.Using an app on my ipad pro called pixaki.
This contains 16 screen. 4x4 i think.
I used to make 1 screen every evening or so.

h1j15zb1n7k21.jpg

High res version :)
Remake has better graphics.

:p

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Redeemed my voucher last night and I’m really looking forward to this. Never played it but always wanted to

Love how they dropped SNES a few weeks ago, no doubt playing through ALTTP got a lot of people back into 2D Zelda

Forsythia

As this is a remake of one of my favourite games ever I cannot wait to play this. Really like the art style they've chosen for this. And let them remake the Oracles as well please. 😊

Daymos

Going to be amazing!

From what I've read (and watched) there are some frame pacing or framerate issues when you exit a house for like 3 seconds as the 'open world' loads in, but apparently they all disappear once those few seconds are over. I'm sure this will be absolutely game-breaking for those gamers who only play new games for 3-5 minutes before moving on to the next, but to anyone who intends to finish the game it sounds like a non-issue.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Going to be amazing!

From what I've read (and watched) there are some frame pacing or framerate issues when you exit a house for like 3 seconds as the 'open world' loads in, but apparently they all disappear once those few seconds are over. I'm sure this will be absolutely game-breaking for those gamers who only play new games for 3-5 minutes before moving on to the next, but to anyone who intends to finish the game it sounds like a non-issue.

Sadly no, not quite. Entire areas will fluctuate between 50-60fps right down to 20-30fps then back up again, just for moving a few feet to the side, with nothing major either on the screen or changing on screen. Also, the resolution is just 792p, and as well as those already two pretty big issues, there is some seriously awful frame pacing problems. So yeah, the game itself may be utterly fantastic, and I'm sure it will be, but on the technical side, its a joke.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Excellent OP

My local grocery store had this out early yesterday so I picked it up. Played a bit last night and it's definitely Link's Awakening through and through - they didn't change any of the dialog in this game at all and everything is still in the same place as the original. The opening section and the first dungeon I finished last night was like meeting an old friend you haven't seen in a long while.

That being said, the frame pacing issues were really kinda worse than I expected. Not sure if this game will have a "Day One Patch" that just hasn't been released yet, but it's honestly kind of surprising the game released like this. The game jumps from being really smooth to really not-smooth and it seems to be pretty random. Not having transitions between the "screens" of the original game is great and all, but the "open world" aspect of the game seems like it might be the issue here - I might have just gotten lucky but I didn't have very many slowdown issues when I was going through the dungeon.

Overall I'm definitely looking forward to finishing this game. Should go pretty quick since I've played this a number of times (including at it's original release) which means I know where all the things are. Feels kinda weird paying $60 for something that used to be a pack-in game on the original Gameboy. Anyway, it's been a few years since the last time I played though so hopefully I'll have forgotten at least a few things in my old age.

BlackTron

So, I have played this game twice already: once at Japan Expo in Paris (back in July) and once again at another occasion, with a pre-release copy. I won't detail my impressions extensively as the review embargo hasn't been lifted. What I can say: the "plastic" look of the game comes out a lot better in real time than it does in the videos. The remake is gorgeous, though of course nowhere near as impressive as BOTW.

I hope you are right. I love LA but I'm still not sold on the art style of this remake. It's grown on me since the reveal though.

MagnesG

Banned
Sadly no, not quite. Entire areas will fluctuate between 50-60fps right down to 20-30fps then back up again, just for moving a few feet to the side, with nothing major either on the screen or changing on screen. Also, the resolution is just 792p, and as well as those already two pretty big issues, there is some seriously awful frame pacing problems. So yeah, the game itself may be utterly fantastic, and I'm sure it will be, but on the technical side, its a joke.
Actually I haven't seen any previewers mentioning this except that framerate video showing, I guess it's not that noticeable per se? Also, a joke is bit much for a fully functioning fun game, barring any unreasonable comparison.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Played through the second dungeon before work today. This game is still amazingly well put together - the dungeons (there are 8 in total) are great fun.

One of the things I'm loving so far is that like the power bracelet and boots don't need to be equipped like they did in the original. Such a small QoL change but has a huge significance on gameplay as you're not swapping items around so much. Also in this game (unlike the original with it's lack of proper buttons) you don't have to equip your sword or shield either they're just always tied to B and R buttons.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Played through the second dungeon before work today. This game is still amazingly well put together - the dungeons (there are 8 in total) are great fun.

One of the things I'm loving so far is that like the power bracelet and boots don't need to be equipped like they did in the original. Such a small QoL change but has a huge significance on gameplay as you're not swapping items around so much. Also in this game (unlike the original with it's lack of proper buttons) you don't have to equip your sword or shield either they're just always tied to B and R buttons.
amazing !

Top Bottom