• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening |OT| The Ballad of the Wind Fish is charting again!

Komatsu

I'm really, really liking this game so far and performance is no much issue for me.

Same here. The double-buffer implemented in the release build is not that bad. Assuming Grezzo are using UE4 (we haven't confirmed it yet, right?), they probably use the tilt-shift blur (which is a very cheap effect if perspective is fixed, BTW) to mask some pretty heavy texture streaming in the overworld, which is why the drops aren't steeper.

People are saying it "chugs" since the whole overworld is loaded once you exit a building, but I am not quite sure if that's what happens.

wuebAjm.jpg

Only the area closer to Link is loaded at its highest quality, everything else, in the blurred areas, are probably the lower-resolution end of the relevant mipmaps. UE4 has pretty robust texture streaming capabilities.

That being said, I'm curious to see why the double buffer was chosen instead of a locked 30FPS or even Adaptive Vsync (this is running on NVidia silicon, after all). I'm not sure it's the slowdown per se people are complaining about, but the rather abrupt change as the double buffer smacks the FPS from 60 to 30 once it starts dropping frames. Even if, say, during a graphically expense section, the Tegra could handle the scene at, say, 50FPS, the double buffer still pushes it to 30 up until it can catch a steady 60FPS once again.

I wonder if this has to do with the engine? A lot of Japanese devs seem to struggle with UE for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Game is as good as ever. Frame rate doesn’t bother me.

What does bother me is that I feel Link should have a yellow rim on his cap, not green. And the Hylian Sheild should be the brown kind from the original but I’ll be ok.

Music is good. The overworld theme is one of my favourites I had to record this. I prefer the original arrangement but the new one is good as well.

Damn dude, you're shredding the whole time.

RPGCrazied

Played through 2 dungeons. The framerate doesn't bother me as much as I thought. I do feel though a 30fps cap along with straight up 900p would go a long way to making it look/run better.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
$60 is a joke for this performance, maybe if I leave and re-enter Gamestop a memory leak will reduce it to $30.
Just press "SELECT" when you go between screens the doorway :p

Shantae

Banned
I hate to say it...but I don't think I like Link's Awakening that much. I was never a big fan of the art style since they revealed it (nothing to do with it being too cartoony, I just think there are much better visual styles for Zelda. The opening cinematic is gorgeous, why couldn't they game look like that). I never played Link's Awakening on Gameboy, or GBC, so I hoped that I'd get past my lack of enthusiasm for the visuals with the great gameplay of an old school Zelda game, but even that doesn't seem to be the case for me.

I'm just finding I'm not crazy about the world layout, or the dungeon designs. I feel like instead of the puzzles being smart, I'm just banging my head against them til I'm left with the solution. I also wonder if I'm just feeling spoiled by games like ALBW, and BotW, and miss having a world where it can be explored more openly, and not feeling like areas are blocked off because I don't have X item again.

Bummed, because I was really looking forward to playing this, but I've beaten the 3rd dungeon already, so not only does this feel super short, but I'm not having fun with what's here :( Was hoping it'd at least last me the week until DQXI came out, but at this rate, I'll be done before the weekend is over.

TLZ

Banned
Played through 2 dungeons. The framerate doesn't bother me as much as I thought. I do feel though a 30fps cap along with straight up 900p would go a long way to making it look/run better.
Same here. Except I'd prefer lower res and stable 60. Fun game so far. Controls a bit wonky though. Or maybe it's just the 8 directions on the joycons don't feel right.

Finished level 1. Not sure I’ll be continuing until patch or Switch Pro, framerate is really rough.
While playing and seeing the inconsistency in frame rate, I had a weird thought that this game is proof the Pro is coming. And soon. Maybe they made it dynamic res and 60fps because it was made to hit 1080p60 on the Pro.

I hope so.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

I wonder if this has to do with the engine? A lot of Japanese devs seem to struggle with UE for whatever reason.
Not sure if it is UE, but I read a lot of interviews about The Last Remnant and the choice to use UE3 back in the day. Here's what I remember:

In the UE3 days, there was no Japanese documentation for anything with UE. Also, opening support tickets with Epic took much longer than typical because of the time difference and language barrier. Also, the PS3's CELL processor and architecture made UE3 extremely difficult to use and optimize.

These issues have since been improved for UE4 and the PS4, but an entire country of software engineers are basically 10 years behind in terms of experience with the product.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i love the side scrolling segments so much. they look really cool, it reminds me of the Super Mario Odyssey artstyle. this is really crazy, i never thought 2D Zelda would have fun platforming in it.

cool game and very obtuse. i plan on trying to play without a guide, seeing how long it will take me. it's tough tho =)

MiguelItUp

a big one came out for BOTW a month after release

a smaller fix dropped earlier this year as well
Ah, fair enough. I thought BOTW just received small content drops, didn't realize there were performance improvements. Awesome! I played through majority of it on an emulator, so I didn't know what the Switch was up to. I do still plan on buying it though.

Here's to hoping they drop an patch for this after all.

Codes 208

Its amazing how a simple, classic-style zelda game just really hits the spot.

I loved the original (or more specifically the DX version which was the first game that I ever owned as a kid) and this is a worthy remake (even with the framedrops, which isnt anything new to zelda games. Anyone remember majora’s mask’s framedrops in termina field on the N64 version? I sure do and its still my favorite zelda game.)

I would love to see a sequel using this engine/artstyle or remakes of the Oracle games after this.

Last edited:
Its amazing how a simple, classic-style zelda game just really hits the spot.

I loved the original (or more specifically the DX version which was the first game that I ever owned as a kid) and this is a worthy remake (even with the framedrops, which isnt anything new to zelda games. Anyone remember majora’s mask’s framedrops in termina field on the N64 version? I sure do and its still my favorite zelda game.)

I would love to see a sequel using this engine/artstyle or remakes of the Oracle games after this.

Playing this makes me want Alundra available on modern consoles.

ConcernedWarmAntbear-size_restricted.gif

Shifty

This is making me remember why I fell in love with adventure games as a kid. All the NPCs models are so faithful to the old sprites, and the dialogue is as off-beat as it ever was.

"I'll be lost in the mountains later, make sure to come find me"
-Koholint Village Responsible Dad of the Year :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Not found the framerate to be a deal-breaker so far. Dropping during area loads is a shame for sure, but I've been thinking of it as a loading screen of sorts and that's been fine.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Just finished the game.
What a beautiful recreation of the classic. An Outstanding Zelda game and probably my favorite “2D“ Top-down Zelda so far.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Finished level 1. Not sure I’ll be continuing until patch or Switch Pro, framerate is really rough.

I haven't even made the first dungeon. I found his sword and just gave up. I can't play it any longer
without a patch. I'm hoping Nintendo is going to fix this. Again, I love the tilt-shift graphical style
but the performance just ruins the experience for me.

Edit: I wonder if Nintendo could issue a patch that would bump up the clock speeds while docked to iron out
the performance? Didn't they do this with Mortal Kombat?

Last edited:

Cravis

Frame rate isn’t bothering me. The graphics kinda remind me of 3D Dot Heroes in how the area around Link is in focus and the area outside is blurry with a little shimmering effect

Codes 208

I haven't even made the first dungeon. I found his sword and just gave up. I can't play it any longer
without a patch. I'm hoping Nintendo is going to fix this. Again, I love the tilt-shift graphical style
but the performance just ruins the experience for me.

Edit: I wonder if Nintendo could issue a patch that would bump up the clock speeds while docked to iron out
the performance? Didn't they do this with Mortal Kombat?
I’d imagine it’d be better to readjust the dynamic resolution system they’re using to squeeze a little bit more frames, a game like this thats using tilting to blur the edges anyway could get away with 720p at 60fps. Or perhaps a locked 30fps in the overworld and 60fps in dungeons.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
No d-pad support in a game with digital movement instead of analog is beyond dumb.
this has analog movement. you can run but you can also walk slowly when you lightly tap the analog stick.

i agree tho i would like d-pad controls. but it isn't a dealbreaker.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I finished dungeon 7 and have been going back through and finding all the heart pieces and seashells that I can think of that I've missed now that I more or less have all the items. Having the seashell detector helps a whole lot. I'm still missing like 8 heart pieces somehow (two whole hearts) and like 10 seashells. This game has so many collectibles!

this has analog movement. you can run but you can also walk slowly when you lightly tap the analog stick.

i agree tho i would like d-pad controls. but it isn't a dealbreaker.
Actually that's still digital, as there is no effect on the walk speed based on the press of the analog you just have walk and full speed depending on how far the analog is pressed. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is the same if you opted for the analog stick over the traditional d-pad with run button option.........options.

Never said it was, just slightly worse controls for no reason.

Last edited:

Shifty

Just finished up my mammoth first session. Got the first 5 dungeons done, plus the trading quest, plus the colour dungeon (red colour best colour), plus 31 secret seashells. Not bad.
I got stuck for a while at traveling to animal village, just like back in the day. That hidden entrance to the east side of the map is a doozy.

One of the owl statue hints in the Face Shrine still baffles me though. Anyone know what "enter the space where eyes have walls" actually means? It's literally been bothering me for decades at this point :messenger_frowning_

And I'm sure they've added more seashells to account for the new content. Finding the last 19 to get the big shiny upgrade is going to be tricky.
I almost wonder if they're tied to Dampe's custom dungeons, but I've not fiddled much with that yet.

Why does the bow have to be so damn expensive?
Because the shopkeeper is a goddamn swindler, that's why!

You can steal the bow? Lmao.
And everyone starts calling you THIEF instead of Link (or name you picked) after. :messenger_beaming:
He also kills you REALLY HARD if you try to re-enter the shop after being branded THIEF :messenger_fearful:

Last edited:
Well, just 100%'d it, all 50 shells, all 32 heart pieces and all the chamber stones and all weapons. Never got a chance to play the original when I was a wee lass and I had a bloody good time with this. The most astounding thing about this game is how compact and well designed the entire map is. It feels like not one screen is wasted when wandering around, nothing feels like a slog to find and the dungeon quality across the board was excellent, the last couple even giving me some problems! Probably my second favourite Zelda after Majora's Mask which is saying something! Along with Resident Evil 2 this is one of the highlights of the year so far for me.

Last edited:

Just played a few hours in bed and made it past the first dungeon. Love the game. Been years and years since I played the Gameboy edition.

only complaints I have is the frame rate stutters and freaking joy con drift that I think randomly makes link stop running and walk.

Cant wait to toss it on the tv with a Pro Controller.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Same here. Except I'd prefer lower res and stable 60. Fun game so far. Controls a bit wonky though. Or maybe it's just the 8 directions on the joycons don't feel right.

While playing and seeing the inconsistency in frame rate, I had a weird thought that this game is proof the Pro is coming. And soon. Maybe they made it dynamic res and 60fps because it was made to hit 1080p60 on the Pro.

I hope so.
I don't think the problem lies with the Switch but how the game was made itself. It isn't pushing any limits here.

jshackles

Finished the game, was missing 3 heart pieces and 6 secret seashells. I'll probably look up a guide or something later and finish it up 100%.

Absolutely loved this game. Pure nostalgia, I love how everything is obviously seriously changed but feels completely the same as the original Game Boy game.

Komatsu

Finished the game, was missing 3 heart pieces and 6 secret seashells. I'll probably look up a guide or something later and finish it up 100%.

Absolutely loved this game. Pure nostalgia, I love how everything is obviously seriously changed but feels completely the same as the original Game Boy game.

How many hours did you clock, jshackles jshackles ?

Top Bottom