• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening |OT| The Ballad of the Wind Fish is charting again!

Weilthain

Banned
Ardently defending Nintendo's questionable pricing policies with rehash titles and Amiibo practices with Breath of the Wild is lol. EA needs more people like MagnesG MagnesG
Don’t speak bad of amiibo. I’ll pray for you at my shrine.

xHzmWFZ.jpg

MagnesG

Banned
Ardently defending Nintendo's questionable pricing policies with rehash titles and Amiibo practices with Breath of the Wild is lol. EA needs more people like MagnesG MagnesG
Again, are the games riddled with MTXs like EA's? We're comparing Nintendo games with EA's now? You are absolutely allowed to cry about something when things doesn't go your way, but isn't this too much for a whine?

I don't want to go into objective analysis on what's worse or what not, this is just ridiculous. I can't even ask you to 'shut up because you're not the potential customer anyway while there's obviously demand for this, justifiably' - that will only come out as 'defensive' from you I bet. It's like crying why Apple products are expensive lol, must be a shill to you when people are even explaining why.

Last edited:
Again, are the games riddled with MTXs like EA's? We're comparing Nintendo games with EA's now? You are absolutely allowed to cry about something when things doesn't go your way, but isn't this too much for a whine?

I don't want to go into objective analysis on what's worse or what not, this is just ridiculous. I can't even ask you to 'shut up because you're not the potential customer anyway while there's obviously demand for this, justifiably' - that will only come out as 'defensive' from you I bet. It's like crying why Apple products are expensive lol, must be a shill to you when people are even explaining why.

So having an opinion that the game is priced too high at $60 is invalid "just because" based upon my own my own experiences with other contemporaries within the medium that are priced the same?

Okay, keep moving those goalposts.

edit: I'll actually double down and say that Link's Awakening Switch diminished the brand after Breath of the Wild when charging full price. We're still in the honeymoon period because of the brand name but the hangover is going to hit hard.

Last edited:

Thurible

remake the original legend of zelda, next.
I personally would rather they do skyward sword next considering that it is a black sheep and despite being a beautiful game it is blurry as heck, they could also improve the motion controls that some people had a problem with.

However, as I see an SS remake as unlikely to happen currently, I think the Oracle games would be a good fit. They used many of the same resources as Link's Awakening so it would be much easier on grezzo to remake that instead. It also flies underneath many people's radar and I would be interested to see how they would handle connecting the two games.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
ignore the troll folks. what a waste of time.

if u don't want to buy a game why whine on and on well into 8 pages into the OT?

just don't buy it. your bitching is fucking up the experience of people who actually want to play it.

Last edited:

crumbs

I personally would rather they do skyward sword next considering that it is a black sheep and despite being a beautiful game it is blurry as heck, they could also improve the motion controls that some people had a problem with.

However, as I see an SS remake as unlikely to happen currently, I think the Oracle games would be a good fit. They used many of the same resources as Link's Awakening so it would be much easier on grezzo to remake that instead. It also flies underneath many people's radar and I would be interested to see how they would handle connecting the two games.

Not really interested in a SS remaster this soon, but I'm with you on the Oracle games.

I think selling an Oracle combo pack with this style would be sweet. Now that they've developed this setup, bringing over more GB/GBA Zeldas would make a lot of sense. These games are older and benefit from the QoL improvements afforded by a modern console.

Moonjt9

I just finished the game last night. I forgot how amazing this game was, and going back and seeing some memorable things like certain bosses or dungeon rooms that have me trouble really brought back memories of my childhood on the game boy.

it was also quite interesting to see so many things from a link to the past, my favorite Zelda. Things like swimming under the bridge to meet a guy or spectacle rock. Really cool way to play on the dream theme.

in all I would put this remake among the top of Zelda games. Loved every minute!

MagnesG

Banned
Finally I got to the ending with everything unlocked and done, first time playing. All the mini games and busywork really reminded me of the GBA Minish Cap. I did get spoiled for the ending before I started, but the bittersweet feeling I had after finishing was really refreshing, and genuine. Marin can finally venture from the island by being a seagull I guess.:messenger_unamused:

I'm sure this entry would be my absolute favorite if I'd experience this when I was a child. I would rate this on par with LTTP lol, and maybe MC. Also, a gameboy game being fully realized into a console experience with its greatness still standing strong. Amazing.

BlackTron

edit: I'll actually double down and say that Link's Awakening Switch diminished the brand after Breath of the Wild when charging full price. We're still in the honeymoon period because of the brand name but the hangover is going to hit hard.

Diminished the brand? Link's Awakening is a better Zelda than BOTW.

A normal-ass Zelda game that distills the series core principles is exactly what they needed after BOTW. This remake is the best money I've spent on Zelda since OoT came out.

Oracle games next PLEASE.

Link1110

Did anyone else have the problem in the Agahnim part of the final boss where he won't shoot the battle you can hit back if you're just standing in front of him? Made the fight way too hard IMO.

Anyway, I beat it an be enjoyed the remake for the most part. Never realized how short the game was, it always took me like a weak to finish, but I did this version in two days. In any case, I never beat A Link Between Worlds (they honestly could've called that one A Link 2 the Past also to keep the Japanese title.)

Last edited:

ChuyMasta

Not a super fan of Dampe's last dungeon challenges, but I did them anyways after finishing the game. Well, I have one left to do.

The skull dungeon was too much for me so I stopped there last night. I read theres no reward if you finish everythibg so whatever. The 300 ruppeed per challenge is alright.

I loved the entire experience and I hope the engine gets more use with further remakes or even new top down entries in the series.

Link1110

By the way, everybody's buying this game, playing or, streaming it. The real trendy game isn't the mini game, it's Links Awakening.

MagnesG

Banned
Not a super fan of Dampe's last dungeon challenges, but I did them anyways after finishing the game. Well, I have one left to do.

The skull dungeon was too much for me so I stopped there last night. I read theres no reward if you finish everythibg so whatever. The 300 ruppeed per challenge is alright.

I loved the entire experience and I hope the engine gets more use with further remakes or even new top down entries in the series.
Are those challenges after you finished adventuring the first 12 arrangements?

ChuyMasta

Are those challenges after you finished adventuring the first 12 arrangements?

Yes sir.

First 12:
Level 1-3: 4 arranging challenges per level (shovel icon tabs near the top) unlocked as you progress through the main adventure.

Level 4: 12 arranging challenges (golden shovel). Screw the skull and stairs challenge. I can't quite figure out the stairs logic.
You get 300 rupees per challenge, which in turn I used to buy more chamber stones. A vicious cycle.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Yes sir.

First 12:
Level 1-3: 4 arranging challenges per level (shovel icon tabs near the top) unlocked as you progress through the main adventure.

Level 4: 12 arranging challenges (golden shovel). Screw the skull and stairs challenge. I can't quite figure out the stairs logic.
You get 300 rupees per challenge, which in turn I used to buy more chamber stones. A vicious cycle.
Turns out not 100% the game is the better choice. :messenger_smirking:

Psy-Phi

remake the original legend of zelda, next.
Yes please.

If only the "Dungeon Maker" in this were tools to make entire maps and dungeons.... some intrepid and determined person(s) could remake other top-down Zelda games, (with some exceptions & liberties of course, due to lack of everything Zelda's seen). Or even rework the 3D ones. But that's a pipe-dream. I can't see Nintendo relinquishing that level of control to create a Zelda game with tools that make it easy. But, I can imagine Nintendo calling Link's Awakening a "Zelda Anthology" that enables a sort of episodic approach, releasing a top-down Zelda title every X months (all of them. Seriously).

That said, I just played through TLZ on the NES on Switch, and I'd love to see it brought up to speed, so to speak, as Link's Awakening has been. While I'd certainly buy it, I'd rather see Oracle of Seasons and Ages released together, or TLZ released as a bonus DLC that nobody expected within Link's Awakening (perhaps you could go into the "Dream Room" and Link could recollect all of the events of TLZ there). But that's too much hope.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

TheContact

The Switch is such a great console. All it needs now is OOT. Having breath of the wild, a link to the past, and link's awakening on one system is amazing.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Looks interesting...

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i just started this and OMFG what the hell is with the blur? it's terrible. and so is the framerate.

pls nintendo fix it. i'm seriously considering selling it and i've not even played it for an hour. it really is damn awful.

Last edited:
Hey guys, just finished the game and trying to make sure i finish as many things as possible..

I came across.. Mm.. Should I make it as spoilers? I'll do just in case

South of Pothole Field there are two entranced trapped between trees. What is that? I can't recall if I have came out of them at any point during playing. Appreciate some help. Thanks in advance

When I preview i can't see the spoiler! Not used to the new board lol

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Hey guys, just finished the game and trying to make sure i finish as many things as possible..

I came across.. Mm.. Should I make it as spoilers? I'll do just in case

When I preview i can't see the spoiler! Not used to the new board lol
I can’t read your spoiler either. You must be doing it wrong. There are two types of spoilers to use, normal (with a spoiler tag) and inline, which just blurs your words. Which one are you trying to use?

Fbh

Finished this last week. Had never played the original so this was my first time going through it.

Overall it was enjoyable, just a fun classic style Zelda adventure. From what I've read the actual design is almost identical to the original so I can definitely see why it was so beloved back in the day given how well it holds up even today. But without the nostalgia element I didn't fin anything about it to be particularly amazing or memorable, from dungeons to bosses to the overworld, everything was fun but ultimately forgettable to me.

Also at $60 it's overpriced IMO, both length and production values were more in line with a $20 indie title.

ROMhack

Bought this yesterday. It's very good, very fun.

The artstyle -- while controversial to some -- really works within the spirit of the game.

Music is great too.

Last edited:

ROMhack

Continuing on...

I'm near the end and this game is pure joy. I was highly about whether it was worth the price but it's an emphatic yes!

Easily my favourite game of the year so far.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Playing this rn

It’s way more charming than I remember on the GB version. There were like some animals that spoke to Link in that version iirc, in the very beginning. In this one there was only the raccoon

Blond

Banned
Did my game bug out? I put the key in and it opened up and I went off screen and can’t can’t get it to reopen.
p0tPswu.jpg

I recently finished this game. The gameplay was so fun. The graphics were unique and pretty to look at. I think I took about 30 to 40 hours playing this game. I loved exploring. That final boss gave me some problems but I was able to finish it

Top Bottom