• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time is one of the greatest game of all time, and the crown jewel for video games

kingfey

Banned
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time is undoubtedly one of the influential game of all time. One of the old games, that survived the test of time, and continue to be the best game of all of all times.

OCARINA OF TIME - A Masterclass In Subtext

An Everlasting Legacy | The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Retrospective

The Deeper Meaning Within Zelda: Ocarina of Time [Memory Card]

Ocarina of Time Retrospective

Ocarina of Time (dunkview)

Here is some fan remakes with the current engines.

Ocarina of Time Unreal Engine 4 Remake by Aran Graphics [4K]​

kingfey

Banned
Never made it past the first few hours.
arrested stone cold GIF by WWE

yurinka

Back then it was a blurry, unplayable mess. But seems many people discovered videogames with N64 and Zelda with Ocarina, so they think it's the 2nd coming of Jesus. The original Zelda, Link's Awakening and A Link to the Past were better games, and BOTW too.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

I came to the N64 late. I think I've spent the most time with the 3DS version. It just feels old and clunky. I'm sure it was revolutionary at the time but without those rose tinted glasses, it is hard for me to go back to. A Link To The Past is one of my favorite games ever and I really haven't cared for 3D Zelda before BOTW. Wind Waker is beautiful though.

Speaking of coming to Zelda games late, I put a few hours into Skyward Sword recently. I know the dungeons are supposed to be amazing and all but good lord does the movement feel dated and motion controls need to stay dead.

Last edited:

SinDelta

None of the following Zelda's have managed to balance everything like Ocarina of Time did. If BotW had 8 or 9 full themed temples, fixable upgradable weapons (blacksmiths, legendary unbreakable items like the mirror shield, heroes bow, gale boomerang, megaton hammer, ect) and gear (wallets, arrow quivers, bomb bags instead of 999 koroks) it would have been very damn close. I can hope Nintendo balances the extremes between Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild for BotW 2, which should in theory result in a goldilocks of sorts, ie a game as good as Ocarina of Time.

Last edited:

Ritsumei2020

Report me for console warring
It was.

However Im glad Nintendo stopped using that formula and tried open world again with BOTW.

Way too many Zelda games built upon OOT foundation.

Aldynes

When you realise they put back to back Mario 64 and Zelda OOT on a weird system like the N64 (which I love) in a time where 3D gaming was the far west, nobody had a template to follow, it's for me personally one of the biggest leap/risk in the whole medium and they completely nailed it, I'd say this is on the same level as Super Mario Bros for the NES on the impact for the medium. NINTENDO at their prime, when the system was delayed again and again, the PLAYSATION and SATURN were already there for months, they got the Virtual Boy, the president of NINTENDO , YAMAUCHI saying that Mario 64 will be the greatest game ever made, he was right.

Played it first on 3DS AFTER Wind Waker/Twilight Princess/Skyward Sword and found it......decent? No doubt it was influencial but it's long been surpassed not only by games in it's own franchise but by others as well.

This by no means a critique of the game but basic reality, Super Mario Bros was the shit back in the day and a truly revolution in video games but it's not fun to go back to like SMB3 for example.

xBlueStonex

I've been gaming for 25+ years now, and nothing has topped OOT for me. Everything - the story, the music, the characters, the gameplay - is absolutely brilliant and so incredibly ahead of its time. I still play it yearly, and it still blows my mind at how good it is.

I don't believe anything is perfect, but OOT is as close to perfection as you can get.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Hopefully Nintendo brings Ocarina of Time + Majora’s Mask to the Nintendo Switch. It doesn’t get any better than those two games within the series

Pretty much everything within that game was in perfect balance. Greatest game I’ve ever played still to this day

I’m still waiting to see if Aonuma can reach his goal and bring to us the definitive best Zelda game ever made

Soltype

Nintendo nailed Mario in 3D on the first try, and they did the same thing with Zelda. It's crazy that for such uncharted territory with their IP they managed to knock it out the park. Also people complaining about the frame rate and how it looked, game is leaps and bounds better on a CRT, it's not incredible, but very playable.

You can't beat groundbreaking and perfect. For those who were there Zelda OoT was exactly that, on the fastest most powerful games console on earth!

It's still great fun today, the 3ds remake was decent with frame rates above single figures. A remake in botw engine would be welcome.

Majoras mask and botw felt like a lot of unnecessary work was introduced to waste your time and sap joy out of the games. The others were simply not as fun. But then it was a tough act to follow.

OoT is still a masterclass in design and was a worthy follow up to lttp.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

I really think Twilight Princess perfected the formula. But people have it in for that game for some reason.

Majora's mask is a great oddity as well.

Banned
I really think Twilight Princess perfected the formula. But people have it in for that game for some reason.

TP has so many bad parts. the absolutely awful wolf parts ruin a big portion of the game. the Wolf is not fun to play, the fighting mechanics when playing as him are absolutely awful and the collectathon crap should have been completely cut from the Remaster TBH... at least they made it slightly less shit.

also the fighting system feels somehow worse than in Windwaker.

many Zelda games have parts in them that just suck, like the later parts in WindWaker (which were thankfully also slightly altered in the remaster) or the hand holding madness in Skyward Sword. and the bad parts in Twilight Princess were just REALLY bad because the Wolf altered your gameplay and made it worse in every way possible.

xBlueStonex

TP was far too heavy handed in its linear storytelling. Whereas OoT knew when to guide the player, but also when to let the player go and explore, TP beat you over the head with dialogue and cutscenes. I get the itch to play TP randomly once a year, but I always get bored after the first dungeon.

Last edited:

SinDelta

You can't beat groundbreaking and perfect. For those who were there Zelda OoT was exactly that, on the fastest most powerful games console on earth!

It's still great fun today, the 3ds remake was decent with frame rates above single figures. A remake in botw engine would be welcome.

Majoras mask and botw felt like a lot of unnecessary work was introduced to waste your time and sap joy out of the games. The others were simply not as fun. But then it was a tough act to follow.

OoT is still a masterclass in design and was a worthy follow up to lttp.
A full on Ocarina of Time remake in the BotW engine would instantly become the most anticipated game.

mcjmetroid

TP has so many bad parts. the absolutely awful wolf parts ruin a big portion of the game. the Wolf is not fun to play, the fighting mechanics when playing as him are absolutely awful and the collectathon crap should have been completely cut from the Remaster TBH... at least they made it slightly less shit.

also the fighting system feels somehow worse than in Windwaker.

many Zelda games have parts in them that just suck, like the later parts in WindWaker (which were thankfully also slightly altered in the remaster) or the hand holding madness in Skyward Sword. and the bad parts in Twilight Princess were just REALLY bad because the Wolf altered your gameplay and made it worse in every way possible.
Man the fighting system in twilight is some of the best. It's certainly the most advanced that it's ever been with even optional moves you can unlock that gives you more of an edge on battles. The fight with ganon was very good.

I didn't find the collecting bits bad and it's only in the first third of the game.
Now I will say I never played the original but the WiiU HD remake where I believe things have been heavily streamlined.

There is plenty to like though:
Best most imaginative dungeons in the series hands down.
Less nonsense side quests than normal, some are quite good.
Really enjoyed the story in this one especially the ending which was somewhat unexpected.
The atmosphere of the twilight world is great like nothing else I've ever seen before or since.
Getting from point A to point B is a lot easier than adjusting the Wind or any of that wank in Wind Waker.

And the best part of all... Horse riding is far far far better than sailing. People gave Twilight Princess shit for having an empty open world while with a straight face telling us that the sailing is great in Wind Waker.

Man I loved this Zelda game a lot more than Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time overall.

Banned
Man the fighting system in twilight is some of the best. It's certainly the most advanced that it's ever been with even optional moves you can unlock that gives you more of an edge on battles. The fight with ganon was very good.

I didn't find the collecting bits bad and it's only in the first third of the game.
Now I will say I never played the original but the WiiU HD remake where I believe things have been heavily streamlined.

There is plenty to like though:
Best most imaginative dungeons in the series hands down.
Less nonsense side quests than normal, some are quite good.
Really enjoyed the story in this one especially the ending which was somewhat unexpected.
The atmosphere of the twilight world is great like nothing else I've ever seen before or since.
Getting from point A to point B is a lot easier than adjusting the Wind or any of that wank in Wind Waker.

And the best part of all... Horse riding is far far far better than sailing. People gave Twilight Princess shit for having an empty open world while with a straight face telling us that the sailing is great in Wind Waker.

Man I loved this Zelda game a lot more than Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time overall.

no Zelda game is bad. it's all about which of the shitty parts you personally don't mind. and they all have shitty parts, some more, some less.

I liked the sailing in Wind Waker and didn't the hub world in Twilight Princess for example. sailing on an open sea is just more fun to me than riding through a rather grey looking field with nothing that really sticks out much. both are not that great, which is why I said, it's all about which of the bad parts you dislike the least or even like for some reason.

Last edited:

Zannegan

In the context of its day? Undisputably.

Today, measured against every game that's come since including its own sequels? That's a bit more subjective.

I love it. I still think it's up there, but it all depends on what you mpst value in a game.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Back then it was a blurry, unplayable mess. But seems many people discovered videogames with N64 and Zelda with Ocarina, so they think it's the 2nd coming of Jesus. The original Zelda, Link's Awakening and A Link to the Past were better games, and BOTW too.
I grew up with Game Boy/Mega Drive/SNES games.

OOT was still "the 2nd coming of Jesus" for me. 2D Zelda games are great but i prefer exploration in 3D.

Astral Dog

That its 'the greatest game of all time' is nonsense, simply because time has passed, game design has evolved in many different directions, and there is no single game that stands out this much anymore. How modern gamers view Ocarina (and the Zelda series in general) is very subjective.

Still, Ocarina of Time is an amazing achievment, a classic and one of the prime examples of how to translate a beloved series from 2D to 3D,one for Zelda 🍺

Last edited:

Merkades

I don't remember much about this game, but I do remember that this was the game that made me go Playstation. I was in the Army when it released, and I was just so...unenthused while playing it. I didn't even finish it and instead sold my Ninty junk to a fellow soldier and bought a Playstation. Never went back.

I wonder if I were to try it again if I would think differently. It took me three tries before Dragon's Dogma clicked. Or perhaps it is just as I think it is.

Still put LTTP ahead of it, but it's definitely my number 2 Zelda game

Everything since has lost the series tone of the series IMHO....I guess TP was kinda serious but not really anywhere near as good

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I'm sorry, but "the crown jewel for video games"? I know that's an entirely subjective claim, but what do you think this game did in order to get this title? I'm not going to watch all of those videos you linked. If you can shed some light on why you personally think that it's the crown jewel of video games I would be super interested to hear how you reached that conclusion.

Fredrik

Yeah. I looked at the 100/100 review scores like everyone else and insta-bought the game, laughed at the framerate (17fps in PAL land) and started questioning if critics were bought, unwillingly played it for a few hours simply because I had payed for it, but no it was unplayable so I dropped it and never touched it again.

Then I played through it on N3DS where it was 30fps. It’s a okay Zelda game but not in any way the masterpiece it was, and still is, hyped up to be. The hype around it continues to be one of the biggest mysteries in gaming history. 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom