• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword announced for Wii [N-CONF]

AniHawk

so here goes. i went with a friend to the zelda booth to try out the game again and i had much more control over what i was doing. it was either me not being used to the controls at all yesterday vs. being familiar with them today or the controls needing recalibration yesterday (since i got there 3 hours into the day vs. 1 hour today), or a mixture of both, but everything was really fluid and felt.. natural. The bow and arrow is a compromise of the gamecube's targeting system and the wii sports resort archery stuff. you hold c, point at what you want to die (i've already forgotten, but i THINK it was with the analog stick to aim), pull the nunchuk back, and let go of c.

there's the little bug flying thing which i used to stun an enemy and get a rupee. that's controlled by tilting the wii remote to change its direction, kinda like the fluzzard stuff in smg2, only you can fly up as well as down, and turn around. i'm not wild about it, but it isn't bad. bomb throwing is pretty nice, since i often found myself setting a bomb down in twilight princess when i meant to throw it, and bomb rolling is really nice. so those were the two things i'd missed.

back to the swordfighting, i was finding i was killing enemies a lot faster. part of it was knowing that moving the nunchuk and remote in the same direction created sort of a super slash for massive damage. i never really got tired of that. it looks cool and it feels good. when it came to normal enemies, i was just wailing on them.

i got a 'game over' on purpose because someone asked if something happened, and it just respawned me at the start of the area. no game over graphic or anything. also, there weren't any clouds on the map that i could see.

this game is something you need to play to see how beautiful it is. stuff in the distance looks way more abstract and like a watercolor painting than when you're up close to it. it's just gorgeous and i'll defend the visuals in this game until the game hits. the only music i could hear was at the booth and it sounded orchestral and like happy first-town starting music. it was nice.

i still think the shield should be brought up with a button, and the b button shouldn't double up like it currently does, but my overall impressions are much more positive than they were yesterday. it might actually be my favorite game at the show (although kirby is a pretty hard game to beat in that respect even if i did break it), but the lines were so long for mostly everything this year that it doesn't mean a whole lot.

edit: i still stand by the ph/st comment. these are all games designed around controls first. the difference here is that the controls feel good and probably won't harm the rest of the game like traversing the overworld, for instance. Unless they change it so we have to have the wiimote in one pocket and nunchuk in the other and walk in place to move around or something.

pictures:
closeup of huge artwork if someone wants wallpaper or an avatar or something
same deal
one more
controls explanation
booth photos 1
booth photos 2
booth photos 3
end of the second day (24 hours remain)

Your photos made me realize how Nintendo avoided leaks.

Almost everything is just lights against white backgrounds. Smart.

I miss the days of the awesome TP booth, but that would take away from surprises at the conferences.

unifin

I do hope they change the C button to "raise shield," if for nothing else than so I can spam the shield like I did in OOT/MM when I was bored.

Twig

Banned
KevinCow said:
There's a door with a knob on the right side. Link goes to open it. He reaches for the left side. Stuff like that.
So have two separate Links.

There's absolutely no reason not to. They don't have to have two games on the disc like they claim.

Someone mentioned yesterday that Miyamoto said he had calibration turned off for the Zelda demo because it was causing more issues than it was helping

So I suppose as the day went on, it was becoming less and less accurate

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Twig said:
So have two separate Links.

There's absolutely no reason not to. They don't have to have two games on the disc like they claim.
I don't think you understand exactly what's required in animating a character's interactions with nearly every single object in the game twice.

The only real way to cut corners is to mirror EVERYTHING.

Twig

Banned
L00P said:
Are you one of those weirdos who uses a mouse with their left hand?
Hah, my friend does that. I like to make fun of him. U:

Rez said:
I don't think you understand exactly what's required in animating a character's interactions with nearly every single object in the game twice.

The only real way to cut corners is to mirror EVERYTHING.
No, I definitely do. I know exactly what it would take. I understand perfectly.

I still think it's a sorry excuse.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Twig said:
No, I definitely do. I know exactly what it would take. I understand perfectly.

I still think it's a sorry excuse.
The first half of your post pretty directly contradicts the second. Time for development and testing is as limited a commodity as disc space.

Twig

Banned
Rez said:
The first half of your post pretty directly contradicts the second.
Uh, no it doesn't.
Time for development and testing is as limited a commodity as disc space.
edit: oop misread

Yes it is, but I don't know why time has ever been an excuse for delivering an inferior product in the past.

I never hold it against a developer when they take longer to make a game better. Do you?

Chrono

Banned
AniHawk said:

If you had the choice between classic gamecube controls and skyward sword ones, which would you choose? Is your answer better than the other in every way? Thanks for any info.

mantidor

L00P said:
Are you one of those weirdos who uses a mouse with their left hand?

To all the lefties who use the mouse in the right hand. Change, NOW. It will be ackward for the first minutes, but after that the new found accuracy will blow your mind. If you don't find any difference, congratulations, you are ambidextrous and didn't even know it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Twig said:
Uh, no it doesn't.

Yes, it is. As it should be.

...What's that got to do with anything? "IT WOULD TAKE WORK!" Oh, no. How dare making things better take extra effort!

wat
I'm not going to estimate how long it would take from conception through completion to implement a feature like this, but I'm faiiiirly sure their dev time isn't infinite. They have deadlines that need to be met, staff that need to finish actual as of yet incomplete content, arguments about whether or not that box puzzle should be placed at the start or the end of a dungeon to be sorted out and wages to be paid.

Playing the 'just work harder lol' card is super-great for an armchair super smart developer like yourself, but the realities of trying to polish and ship a game within a certain budget and within a certain time-frame kind of keep that from happening. Every day those guys are still working over-schedule on SS instead of some new title to be put on shelves is money thrown out the window. Welcome to the real world. Priorities have to be put in order and decisions need to made earlier rather than later. You can't please everyone.

This is all theoretical. Maybe they can do this, and maybe they will announce it a few months from now, but throwing stones at this points seems terribly irrational.

Boogiepop

Do the other lefties in here REALLY play wiimote in the left hand and nunchuk in the right? I guess gaming has just trained me for FAR too long that d-pad/analog goes in the left hand, and that's what feels natural. 3DS not having a right analog stick could be quite a pain though, I'll give you that, and it is something that worries me a little
Anyway, game looks great, and the whole sky/flying possibility has once again raised my (admittedly unrealistic) hopes of Roc's Cape making it into this game.

AniHawk

Chrono said:
If you had the choice between classic gamecube controls and skyward sword ones, which would you choose? Is your answer better than the other in every way? Thanks for any info.

well, i think i would probably go with gamecube controls in the long run, but personally i'm kinda riding a bit of a high off the motion controls. i haven't seen such a varied amount of ways to do things with motion controls gel together so well in a "core" game before.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Mank said:
and the whole sky/flying possibility has once again raised my (admittedly unrealistic) hopes of Roc's Cape making it into this game.
I will join you in unrealistic hoping, since Roc's Cape has easily been my favorite addition to the Zelda inventory. :lol Keeping my fingers crossed, especially since there's so much of the Oracle/Minish Cap team on this.

Thank god for the media rooms upstairs! I got to spend some good unadulterated time with Zelda. Pretty much mirroring Anihawk's impressions, I'll just sum up what I found interesting.

- Sword control is great and makes the battles very dynamic. Simply using different angles to attack intensifies the gameplay so much more and the enemy AI is fun to play against. A damn fly trap was dodging a lot of my thrusts this one time. :lol
- Loved that the sword projectile is back. Let your sword charge up and swing horizontally for a wide sonic boom like projectile or thrust forward for a fast and precise fireball like projectile.
- Using the nunchuck motion as the shield is a little off-putting but I got really used to it after a couple playthroughs.
- The ancillary weapons are very cool.
- Bomb rolling is awesome.
- The whip moves in the way you would expect a whip to and is very responsive at how you start up the whip motion. Good for grabbing far off gems/hearts and cutting tons of grass in an instant. =P
- The beetle is neat in the sense you can use it for reconnaissance in an unknown area, grab rupees/hearts in hard to reach areas, or just stunning enemies. Controls like the airplane in Wii Sports Resort.
- Didn't use the bow and arrow much but it controlled like archery in Wii Sports Resort.
- The watercolor artstyle is really awesome. It gives the game a very unique yet beautiful look to it. The watercolor stuff isn't as prevalent when up close, but I do get a little Wind Waker vibe from the graphics.
- The B button ancillary menu thing takes a bit to get used to as well, but it isn't so bad after a little time with it.

Medalion

Banned
donkey show said:
Thank god for the media rooms upstairs! I got to spend some good unadulterated time with Zelda. Pretty much mirroring Anihawk's impressions, I'll just sum up what I found interesting.

- Sword control is great and makes the battles very dynamic. Simply using different angles to attack intensifies the gameplay so much more and the enemy AI is fun to play against. A damn fly trap was dodging a lot of my thrusts this one time. :lol
- Loved that the sword projectile is back. Let your sword charge up and swing horizontally for a wide sonic boom like projectile or thrust forward for a fast and precise fireball like projectile.
- Using the nunchuck motion as the shield is a little off-putting but I got really used to it after a couple playthroughs.
- The ancillary weapons are very cool.
- Bomb rolling is awesome.
- The whip moves in the way you would expect a whip to and is very responsive at how you start up the whip motion. Good for grabbing far off gems/hearts and cutting tons of grass in an instant. =P
- The beetle is neat in the sense you can use it for reconnaissance in an unknown area, grab rupees/hearts in hard to reach areas, or just stunning enemies. Controls like the airplane in Wii Sports Resort.
- Didn't use the bow and arrow much but it controlled like archery in Wii Sports Resort.
- The watercolor artstyle is really awesome. It gives the game a very unique yet beautiful look to it. The watercolor stuff isn't as prevalent when up close, but I do get a little Wind Waker vibe from the graphics.
- The B button ancillary menu thing takes a bit to get used to as well, but it isn't so bad after a little time with it.

September 27th can't come sooner. >__<
September 27th, 2011

Wow that far away eh?

Twig

Banned
Rez said:
I'm not going to estimate how long it would take from conception through completion to implement a feature like this, but I'm faiiiirly sure their dev time isn't infinite. They have deadlines that need to be met, staff that need to finish actual as of yet incomplete content, arguments about whether or not that box puzzle should be placed at the start or the end of a dungeon to be sorted out and wages to be paid.

Playing the 'just work harder lol' card is super-great for an armchair super smart developer like yourself, but the realities of trying to polish and ship a game within a certain budget and within a certain time-frame kind of keep that from happening. Every day those guys are still working over-schedule on SS instead of some new title to be put on shelves is money thrown out the window. Welcome to the real world. Priorities have to be put in order and decisions need to made earlier rather than later. You can't please everyone.
clearly you're super smarter so i bow to your infinite wisdom

thank you for being a veritable genius

don't know what i'd do without you
This is all theoretical. Maybe they can do this, and maybe they will announce it a few months from now, but throwing stones at this points seems terribly irrational.
oh! yes it is theoretical

thanks for finally understanding

andymcc

Banned
Twig said:
clearly you're super smarter so i bow to your infinite wisdom

thank you for being a veritable genius

don't know what i'd do without you

oh! yes it is theoretical

thanks for finally understanding

i'm trying to understand why you even bothered with a response.

Vinci

Danish
Oh god, even Anihawk likes it. We're fucking doomed. I'm imagining another Amirox Mario Galaxy kiosk scenario playing out.

AniHawk

abstract alien said:
Has there ever been a console zelda that hasn't released in the fall/winter period? I can't think of one off the top of my head...

wind waker was december in japan but march in the us.

four swords adventure was june or something.

Pyrokai

Can't you lefties just hold it in your left hand? It might not be the difficult to adjust. A diagonally left swing will still be a diagonally left swing, for example.

DeathbyVolcano said:
What is this
I asked the Nintendo rep in the media booth when it was coming out and that's what he told me. His words, not mine. :lol

Rindain said:
Can you swing the sword in diagonal directions like you can in Wii Sports Resort?
In any direction you damn please.

donkey show said:
I asked the Nintendo rep in the media booth when it was coming out and that's what he told me. His words, not mine. :lol

I wish :lol They confirmed the game for 2011 in the conference.

DeathbyVolcano said:
I think this Zelda is a May title. Possibly July.

They said they were on the last stretch of the game at the roundtable (also that the gameplay is almost done and graphics are being polished.) There's no way they're gonna take another 11-13 months to get the game out. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Q1 release.

Fair enough. I've been pretty inundated helping out at the SCEE booth so I'm pretty out of it when it came to the Nintendo Conference. :lol

Vinci

Danish
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Amir0x SMG kiosk scenario?

Amirox played SMG at a kiosk prior to the game's launch, then came on GAF and basically orgasmed in a giant essay on how amazing and spectacular it was. Was one of the most vivid displays of sheer joy I think I've ever seen on a forum.

I'm just saying, I have this odd feeling that we're going to have something like this happen with this game. It feels... different.

Top Bottom