• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is $70

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Switch owners who have been waiting on this game

crack-crackhead.gif

Looks like $70 DLC after the trailer.

I seriously hope I'm wrong, but that trailer only showed me it's just more of BOTW with smaller bite sized levels in the sky while reusing everything else, even enemies.

I am not seeing the improvement in combat, variety, boss battles, or dungeons. I just can't get over how this took 6 years to make based on what I've seen.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I can see Nintendo experimenting with pricing... Maybe some remasters/remakes like MPR will be $40 but other major releases like Zelda TOKT will be $70... That would be interesting

Toons

Banned
always the same comments when a big Nintendo game is dropping... then the 10/10s and 99% metacritic come in and people slink on back to whatever unfinished/remake game Sony or ms released for a few years til Nintendo announced another

Same cycle every time

Chittagong

Gold Member
It’s a new Zelda game and it will be huge, six years in the making. Can’t see how 70 bucks is outrageous.

That said, I bought it from Nintendo for £40 inc tax. The two game voucher is around £84 and you get around £4 worth of points, which I had from my previous voucher. So I scored Zelda ToTK and Pikmin 4 for £40 each.

sandbood

Banned
Looks like $70 DLC after the trailer.

I seriously hope I'm wrong, but that trailer only showed me it's just more of BOTW with smaller bite sized levels in the sky while reusing everything else, even enemies.

I am not seeing the improvement in combat, variety, boss battles, or dungeons. I just can't get over how this took 6 years to make based on what I've seen.
Out of all video game developers in this world you choose to be sceptical towards Nintendo EPD. They're not clueless like 343i studio. They created the highest rated game in this generation that has sold over 30 million copies and most of those were sold at full price without an official bundle with the system.

daveonezero

Banned
Out of all video game developers in this world you choose to be sceptical towards Nintendo EPD. They're not clueless like 343i studio. They created the highest rated game in this generation that has sold over 30 million copies and most of those were sold at full price without an official bundle with the system.
Not to mention how is the time between releases a factor in how good a game is?

We know little to nothing of the development cycle or how much time was actually being spent developing the game.

Nintendo may have had a few people working on it for a year or two with concepts and designs. Then over a few years it ramps up. Not like 400 people started on it day one. People would have had nothing to do.

It’s as if they are treating if people at game studios as some sort of machine that just continually work in an assembly line like fashion pumping out great interactive entertainment.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Remember you can get Vouchers and get TotK with one of them. Two games for $100. I will hold my other voucher for something they announce later in the year.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm just going off my eyeballs. They haven't shown anything impressive yet. It may be in there, hopefully. I pre-ordered it already. But I'm going in with low expectations currently. It honestly makes me wonder if they're already working on the next real Zelda, and this is the B team building off existing assets. Would make sense to get something else ready for the early years of Switch 2.

Remember you can get Vouchers and get TotK with one of them. Two games for $100. I will hold my other voucher for something they announce later in the year.
I got TotK and Advance Wars. Solid sale.

Last edited:

hollams

Gold Member
Nintendo is giving their employees a 10% raise this year and they needed to raise the money for it so therefore the raise in price to $70.

Gambit2483

I'm just going off my eyeballs. They haven't shown anything impressive yet. It may be in there, hopefully. I pre-ordered it already. But I'm going in with low expectations currently. It honestly makes me wonder if they're already working on the next real Zelda, and this is the B team building off existing assets. Would make sense to get something else ready for the early years of Switch 2.

I got TotK and Advance Wars. Solid sale.

The fact they didn't feel the need to use this a launch title has me a little worried but there's no way they could work on this for 6 years a not have a ton of new elements and features (fishing, underwater gameplay, etc) ...right?

I mean Nintendo rarely (if ever) makes a bad Zelda game so I'm choosing to have faith on this one...but yea they really need to come hard with their next presentation or I'll be truly worried it's just hyper DLC

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The fact they didn't feel the need to use this a launch title has me a little worried but there's no way they could work on this for 6 years a not have a ton of new elements and features (fishing, underwater gameplay, etc) ...right?

I mean Nintendo rarely (if ever) makes a bad Zelda game so I'm choosing to have faith on this one...but yea they really need to come hard with their next presentation or I'll be truly worried it's just hyper DLC
Even if its hyper DLC, it'll be fun. But that's what it truly looks like so far. I'd be happy to be wrong obviously, since I bought it already.

It kinda makes sense to me though. There's no way they're going to put this out and then take another 6 years to put the next real Zelda out in 2029. They're probably already working on the next actually new one. There's always been a Zelda B team I think that used to work on the handheld games. This could be a good way for them to get used to more modern development. But I'm 100% guessing on all this.

krumble

I miss the days of game having instructions, so I'd somehow set the hud to pro, which meant that when you lift anything it doesn't give you the prompts for how to rotate items and the game doesn't explain it, spent hours trying to drop things against things to get them at the right angle, failed all the hook rafts again and again, ended up using two massive stone pieces in tandem to get to the second shrine properly, brute force got me through and then I watched some videos and read some articles about holding the r button, so going into the options switched from pro to normal hud and yeah it does give the prompt, but this sort of thing used to be in the instruction books, I saw I wasn't the only one facing this as I was searching for an answer, normally nintendo are so good at walking you through mechanics (or have been) the whole start of the game felt very messy and muddled to start with, but persevered and figured it must be something with me, which it kind of was but again - I miss instruction manuals
Biggest disappointment has been how much the performance and frame rate tank when in ultra hand mode and there are clouds in the direction you are facing, terrible in those situations

I miss the days of game having instructions, so I'd somehow set the hud to pro, which meant that when you lift anything it doesn't give you the prompts for how to rotate items and the game doesn't explain it, spent hours trying to drop things against things to get them at the right angle, failed all the hook rafts again and again, ended up using two massive stone pieces in tandem to get to the second shrine properly, brute force got me through and then I watched some videos and read some articles about holding the r button, so going into the options switched from pro to normal hud and yeah it does give the prompt, but this sort of thing used to be in the instruction books, I saw I wasn't the only one facing this as I was searching for an answer, normally nintendo are so good at walking you through mechanics (or have been) the whole start of the game felt very messy and muddled to start with, but persevered and figured it must be something with me, which it kind of was but again - I miss instruction manuals
Biggest disappointment has been how much the performance and frame rate tank when in ultra hand mode and there are clouds in the direction you are facing, terrible in those situations
Yeah I'm still wondering how to throw bombs - if you even can. Granted, I've only played for like two hours, since I was working yesterday and today's my nephew's birthday, so I've only seen two or three bombchus, and used them against like-likes so just putting them down in front of them was enough.

Mozza

To be honest this is more like faux outrage to be honest, and pretty much only an issue for those buying digital. I n the U.K the price was £70/$70.... but in reality it was always going to be very easy to get the physical copy of the game for around £50.

It's just nobody ever seemed to mention this, as they were all to busy shouting about a price you were never going to pay. If people want to buy digital and pay the tax, then that's up to them. But many complaining are the same people calling Nintendo's unfair digital service, where games do not migrate from one system to another, and that's before we get to the fact the digital versions should be cheaper, with no cart,box or logistical costs.

Yeah I'm still wondering how to throw bombs - if you even can. Granted, I've only played for like two hours, since I was working yesterday and today's my nephew's birthday, so I've only seen two or three bombchus, and used them against like-likes so just putting them down in front of them was enough.
Hold R like you're going to throw your weapon but don't let go.. then hold up on dpad and select the item you want to throw. When you select and let go of up on dpad you'll now be holding the selected item and when you let go of R Link will toss it.

The controls, like BotW can be a little overwhelming initially, but once they click IMO I've never felt like I accomplished so much from a set of limited inputs.

Last edited:
I mean...nintendo is probs greedier than all of the companies. The whole reason the hardware is a gen and a half behind, is purely for financial profit.

Atleast the other companies somewhats still wanna have nice tech and will spend more to do it. Nintendo doesnt care if they arent lrogessing the medium, they want to pay less and charge more.

Id keep an eye on their asses tbh. They also get away with not releasing new IP's

Shifty1897

To be honest this is more like faux outrage to be honest, and pretty much only an issue for those buying digital. I n the U.K the price was £70/$70.... but in reality it was always going to be very easy to get the physical copy of the game for around £50.

It's just nobody ever seemed to mention this, as they were all to busy shouting about a price you were never going to pay. If people want to buy digital and pay the tax, then that's up to them. But many complaining are the same people calling Nintendo's unfair digital service, where games do not migrate from one system to another, and that's before we get to the fact the digital versions should be cheaper, with no cart,box or logistical costs.
Not really like that in the USA. Digital and physical are very close in price.

Deerock71

I mean...nintendo is probs greedier than all of the companies. The whole reason the hardware is a gen and a half behind, is purely for financial profit.

Atleast the other companies somewhats still wanna have nice tech and will spend more to do it. Nintendo doesnt care if they arent lrogessing the medium, they want to pay less and charge more.

Id keep an eye on their asses tbh. They also get away with not releasing new IP's
Splatoon
Ring Fit Adventure
Astral Chain
Arms

These may not be to your taste (or mine), but these are all fairly new IPs.

Eotheod

Hold R like you're going to throw your weapon but don't let go.. then hold up on dpad and select the item you want to throw. When you select and let go of up on dpad you'll now be holding the selected item and when you let go of R Link will toss it.

The controls, like BotW can be a little overwhelming initially, but once they click IMO I've never felt like I accomplished so much from a set of limited inputs.
How random to find an old thread and bump it with helpful tips.

Bridges

First $70 game that feels worth it imo

Not the whole reason. If the hardware was higher end then the cost of the device would be higher. Do you think the Switch would be the success it is today if it launched at $500? I don't. I also don't see why that's considered greedy anyway. They're not a charity, and if someone doesn't see the value they don't have to buy it.

Thanks, there was a "special controls" tutorial that teaches you that, but only later after you've reached the surface.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If you have a Nintendo online account and you are interested in any other Nintendo title, it just make sense to go the voucher route.
If you may need to sell it to save some money (flexible term renting in a way) that trick block ya, but with these games I think if you like them there will be plenty of replay value and it is nice not to have to swap carts.

Having carts is nice because you rely a lot less on keep on expanding SD storage as games get bigger and bigger, but the process of swapping carts is still quite annoying (mechanically, you always feel like you are breaking something)… very much so.

First game I have played other than Ragnorok that I feel was worth the Money.to be honest. Ratchet was great but it was considerably shorter than most of the earlier games. Ragnorok was incredibly polished and I easily put 60 hours into it by the time I was done. It will probably be more like 600 hours by the time I put TOTK down.

hemo memo

Gold Member
If you may need to sell it to save some money (flexible term renting in a way) that trick block ya, but with these games I think if you like them there will be plenty of replay value and it is nice not to have to swap carts.

Having carts is nice because you rely a lot less on keep on expanding SD storage as games get bigger and bigger, but the process of swapping carts is still quite annoying (mechanically, you always feel like you are breaking something)… very much so.
Thankfully Switch games sizes are very low. The largest game I have is probably 16GB. I have 122 games installed on my 512GB.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

I can see Nintendo experimenting with pricing... Maybe some remasters/remakes like MPR will be $40 but other major releases like Zelda TOKT will be $70... That would be interesting
I would be ok with this. I always hated Nintendo charging the same price for ports as brand new games.

Top Bottom