• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |OT|

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I don't think he's old enough to hold beer himself. Regardless

85gtNer.jpg
HG73.gif

darrylgorn

I played BOTW and found it 'good but not great'. From what I've seen of this so far, it doesn't really seem to do much different. Admittedly, this is a premature opinion but as someone who has very little time to decide on what games I want to play, it really doesn't make the best first impression.

Aldric

Played for ten hours straight. I'm a bit knackered as you might imagine.

Yes this is BotW 1.5 and it didn't give me the same feeling of awe as the first game did (it was pretty much impossible) but you know what? I don't care. Once you play this you're reminded Nintendo are so far above the rest of the industry when it comes to game design. The seamless three tiered map, the new traversal mechanics, the handful of gameplay scenarios I've already seen, the art and sound direction, nothing else comes remotely close.

Can't wait to go back to it tonight and this weekend.

DonJorginho

Banned
mortal mortal is doing the OT for this game - also, Why is your OT literally cut & paste of the Resetera OT for TOTK?
OP likely did copy and paste this over from Era because whoever is meant to do the OT hasn't posted it on release day, so I don't blame OP for taking responsibility and putting something out there on launch.

OP likely did copy and paste this over from Era because whoever is meant to do the OT hasn't posted it on release day, so I don't blame OP for taking responsibility and putting something out there on launch.
It's not just likely - it's definite. The only thing not included is the banner denoting Era lol

I'm not "blaming" anyone for anything; I'm just wondering why someone would copy an OT from another site when the individual that is supposed to be doing said OT is posting their's today - and even did a poll yesterday asking for titles?

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
It's not just likely - it's definite. The only thing not included is the banner denoting Era lol

I'm not "blaming" anyone for anything; I'm just wondering why someone would copy an OT from another site when the individual that is supposed to be doing said OT is posting their's today - and even did a poll yesterday asking for titles?
Probably didn't see the guy's posts and was responding to the *many* comments on here asking there hasn't been an OP posted prior (over 12 hours into launch day)

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Shit. I'm going to have to buy another Switch, just to play this. I sold the last one after I'd finished Galaxy and BotW.

Marvel14

Banned
I was thinking this. TotK supposedly improves on BotW in almost every way, is bigger, has more features, but both games scored the same.
I think you folk are confusing taste with quality.

A vast majority of gamers consider BOTW an era defining gameplay experience. You could see it during the E3 play presentation. The lines of people wanting to play and the stories they had after playing..it is something special. Critics agree and when both critics and gamers agree you've got a fairly objective sample for validating the game's quality.

But it is not for everyone and its gameplay choices will always find detractors. Some people crave linearity, others strategic and deep combat, others still a deep story or a deep rewards system or a well structured or creative quest ...and BOTW will be deficient for purists in some or all of these metrics. And that's fine.

But that is not because the game is bad. It's because its design choices can’t align with everyone's preferences.

GFINITY'S review doesn't seem to know the difference either so you are not alone.

Last edited:

SCB3

Does anyone have an issue where Link will sometimes just face the camera when standing still? I can't tell if my Pro controller is broken or not

Freeman76

I tried to resist but ended up buying and initiating the download before heading to work. To everyone with a Samsung TV make sure you get use out of the Game Motion Plus feature. It was designed for games like this.
I have an S95B, but dread to think how this would look on that

Raven117

And now youre salty because this game is better than any game Sonys made.
YoshiP needs to run Square....top to bottom.

Its because of him, I have hope for FFXVI (and continued awesomness of FFXIV).

Hope he is getting some ideas playing Zelda for his next game.

Madflavor

I think you folk are confusing taste with quality.

A vast majority of gamers consider BOTW an era defining gameplay experience. You could see it during the E3 play presentation. The lines of people wanting to play and the stories they had after playing..it is something special. Critics agree and when both critics and gamers agree you've got a fairly objective sample for validating the game's quality.

But it is not for everyone and its gameplay choices will always find detractors. Some people crave linearity, others strategic and deep combat, others still a deep story or a deep rewards system or a well structured or creative quest ...and BOTW will be deficient for purists in some or all of these metrics. And that's fine.

But that is not because the game is bad. It's because its design choices can’t align with everyone's preferences.

GFINITY'S review doesn't seem to know the difference either so you are not alone.

I was actually just thinking it was funny that both are scored the same despite TotK apparently being better in every way. But yes I am someone who wasn’t blown away by BotW when it released. It’s strengths and flaws were very apparent to me from the get go. It was a 7.5/10 experience for me, but if I were a professional critic I’d have given it probably a 9/10.

I do understand the difference between taste and quality. I don’t like TLOU2 but I recognize it as a very well designed game.

Chiggs

So I'm having a great time with Tears of the Kingdom, but after reading the reviews and experiencing the game for myself, I can't help but to think just how mediocre the original Breath of the Wild is/was. It's a big empty world with limited enemies and terrible "dungeons" if you can even call them that.

It was somewhat validating to watch the IGN review last night and listen to the narrator say stuff like "the new game world makes me question whether or not the original Breath of the Wild was even that big to begin with, "and Tears of the Kingdom makes Breath of the Wild feel like a first draft."

I had the same feeling last year when I played Elden Ring for the first time: it just made me think about how barebones and boring Breath of the Wild was...and now we have its sequel essentially doing the same thing. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

TL;DR: Tears of the Kingdom and Elden Ring are true GoTYs, whereas the original Breath of the Wild was a poser.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
So I'm having a great time with the game, but after reading the reviews and experiencing the game for myself, I can't help but to think just how mediocre the original Breath of the Wild is/was. It's a big empty world with limited enemies and terrible "dungeons" if you can even call them that.

It was somewhat validating to watch the IGN review last night and listen to the narrator say stuff like "the new game world makes me question whether or not the original Breath of the Wild was even that big to begin with."

I had the same feeling last year when I played Elden Ring for the first time: it just made me think about how barebones and boring Breath of the Wild was...and now we have its sequel essentially doing the same thing. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

TL;DR: Tears of the Kingdom and Elden Ring are true GoTYs, whereas the original Breath of the Wild was a poser.
I love BOTW and if TOTK makes it feel mediocre in comparsion then that only hypes me up to finally play it.

BOTW was limited by WiiU development. There was only so much they could do with it. Aonuma said he wanted flying and underground exploration in BOTW but it wasn't possible because it had to run on WiiU. The Switch version is basically just a straight port and didn't seen any improvements or changes except maybe better performance. Now they've had 6 years to work on TOTK and become familiar with Switch that is why TOTK is able to do so much more. I haven't played it but the impression I get is that this is more or less what they wanted BOTW to be.

SCB3

I love BOTW and if TOTK makes it feel mediocre in comparsion then that only hypes me up to finally play it.

BOTW was limited by WiiU development. There was only so much they could do with it. Aonuma said he wanted flying and underground exploration in BOTW but it wasn't possible because it had to run on WiiU. The Switch version is basically just a straight port and didn't seen any improvements or changes except maybe better performance. Now they've had 6 years to work on TOTK and become familiar with Switch that is why TOTK is able to do so much more. I haven't played it but the impression I get is that this is more or less what they wanted BOTW to be.
See I see this and think of TP being on Gamecube and Wii and it was pretty much fine, granted the Wii was pretty much a GC inside but yea I see what you mean

So I bought it and I'm making a promise not to complain about resolutions, IQ, performance or weapons breaking as I knew what I was getting when I clicked buy. Feel free to ban me if I go back on this as no one likes a liar.

I did feel BotW was a bit aimless and probably did make a few "how overrated is this game" posts but with hindsight those would have been after 60 hours of fun and was more a result of me burning myself out and then ignoring the 99% of the time I was having a great time.

Looking forward to actual dungeons and a bit more structure in the story.

Dang, Walmart pulled through. Delivery to the house before noon. I can deal with that. Off to try this out! Going to have to fight my daughter to be able to play though.

Last edited:

ebevan91

Dang, Walmart pulled through. Delivery to the house before noon. I can deal with that. Off to try this out! Going to have to fight my daughter to be able to play though.

I got mine from Walmart and it's almost 11am and I'm still waiting on Fedex. I hope they don't do what they did last time and just throw the game in front of my fucking garage where I couldn't even see it had been delivered. Also could've got ran over if someone got in the car and backed out and didn't see it.

Last edited:
I got mine from Walmart and it's almost 11am and I'm still waiting on Fedex. I hope they don't do what they did last time and just throw the game in front of my fucking garage where I couldn't even see it had been delivered. Also could've got ran over if someone got in the car and backed out and didn't see it.
I'm not even sure what carrier dropped it off. Looks like a regular USPS envelope but I'm not sure. Just at the front door, no doorbell or anything and no notification on the phone that it had been delivered. I also really hate garage deliveries - they will hide it up in the corner near planters sometimes, what are you even thinking guys?

Edit - yep, you're right it's FedEx.

Wasn't able to get the cool gold wall scroll with it, but I did get the black one and it is cool enough!

Last edited:

ebevan91

Why am I feeling FOMO about this zelda oled switch?

I've never cared for those special edition Switch consoles. I have a perfectly fine (although outdated) Switch already.

Now, if I didn't already have a Switch or NEEDED to get a new one, I'd consider one.

Sleepwalker

I've never cared for those special edition Switch consoles. I have a perfectly fine (although outdated) Switch already.

Now, if I didn't already have a Switch or NEEDED to get a new one, I'd consider one.

My OLED's switch wifi doesn't work, and the joycons also wont connect to it wirelessly, so I can only play it wired while docked and offline when portable. Nintendo asked for $150 + shipping to take a look at it because its out of warranty so I'm thinking hard about just selling it for whatever I can get and get the TOTK one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom