• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |OT|

daveonezero

Banned
I have to constantly remind myself I'm not playing BOTW.

I see a 25 foot tall pillar above ground and my first thought is "How the hell am I gonna climb this? I don't have enough stamina even with stamina + food."

Then 30 seconds later common sense slaps me on the head.

ASCEND YOU IDIOT! 😆
I was up at one of the northern towers. Thought about climbing all the way up the mountain and gliding down to the tower. It would have taken a while. Made a balloon machine that broke. Realized I could just "fix" the bridge.
That feeling when you accidentally launch your overpacked korok buddy into orbit and there’s nothing you can do about it.
I think I've sent more over cliffs than I've saved them. I'm assuming they respawn in their original spot right?

Nydius

Glitches have been patched. I wouldn't update unless your progress is blocked (don't recall the name of the mission).
The patch doesn't do anything else but fix those "glitches".

Precisely why I turned off auto updating. With as much padding and grind as this game has — far more than its predecessor — I have zero moral qualms about using a rupee shortcut. Especially when rupees are pretty much the least valuable “resource” in the game.

Sure, I’ve seen people on socials talking about duping other things but I really don’t care if they do. No more so than I cared if someone modded Skyrim to have a bag of holding. Their choices make no impact on how anyone else plays.

The only thing this extra money has made easier was building my house and keeping arrows stocked. You know what has made the game far easier than any dupe glitch? Having the full complement of LoZ amiibo. Since the first hour I have never had to worry about herbs, fish, meat, mushrooms, weapons, bows, or shields. Three heart Link in starter garb running around with a 28 defense Gerudo Shield and a 19+ attack cobble crusher because I scanned in the Urbosa and Daruk amiibo.

Robb

Gold Member
ASCEND YOU IDIOT! 😆
If I had a nickel for every time I’ve said this to myself…

Just the other day I was trying to get up somewhere and lifted a platform with ultra hand and then used recall on it to lift myself up. Me to myself initially:
Mtv Emas Dj Khalid GIF by 2020 MTV EMA

As I’m slowly floating up I see the little crevasse that was obviously put in to use ascend. Me to myself as I’m going up:
1481917610-84624509.gif

Last edited:

SCB3

I don't like to look at guides, do they become more frequent after a particular story moment or they are just super rare?
If I remember righ they were kinda rare in BotW too but try the Thundra plain, I'm sure thats where I've seen the only one I've fought so far

SCB3

Finally surpassed 100 Shrines, pretty much but I think 10 Ground ones left adn the rest are in the sky or Quests like Eventide and the Labyrinths, I really need some Gloom Resistant armor now though, on the way to the Last Temple as well, Gerudo Town

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
That feeling when you accidentally launch your overpacked korok buddy into orbit and there’s nothing you can do about it.
Did that just yesterday. Found one by a muddy river which you can't go in. Built a craft with fans and rockets and sent him off and that thing took off and never looked back. Found it on top of a mountain eventually.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa
One of my biggest disappointments is that the glider and hot air balloon disappear after a pretty short period of time.

I really can't fathom why this is, I can understand if they want to limit the player's ability to traverse early on but that's done naturally through the limitation of the players battery.

As far as I can tell these are the only two devices that disappear within any given period of time while in use.

When I first encountered it on the tutorial Island I figured it was some transient temporary reason but then found out that it happens anywhere.

The balloon lasts long enough to get you as high as you want to go so why make it disappear? I don't really get that. The glider on the other hand will definitely disappear before you get to where you want to go in some cases or at least in my experience. But at the same time if you can just put fans on a floating platform or any old piece flat material and it never disappears then what's the point of restricting the glider?

Last edited:
I'm so dumb, when I made it to the zonaite refinery on the great sky island I didn't convert all my stones to the shards to use for my battery. One regional phenomena down, a ton of shrines, and I still have the initial battery. Are there any places except for there that I can convert to get the resources I need for battery upgrades?

I'm so dumb, when I made it to the zonaite refinery on the great sky island I didn't convert all my stones to the shards to use for my battery. One regional phenomena down, a ton of shrines, and I still have the initial battery. Are there any places except for there that I can convert to get the resources I need for battery upgrades?
A lot of places in the underworld otherwise back on the sky island but you can teleport there go to the fourth shrine on the tutorial Island. Go outside and jump down it'll be to your right or east you can see the mine rail cars and just jump back down there.

Unless I am mistaken there is no such place in Hyrule proper.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
A lot of places in the underworld otherwise back on the sky island but you can teleport there go to the fourth shrine on the tutorial Island. Go outside and jump down it'll be to your right or east you can see the mine rail cars and just jump back down there.

Unless I am mistaken there is no such place in Hyrule proper.
Um, there's a refinery fallen ruin with a robot on it doing that right by one of the Lookout Landing gates, the one facing Hyrule Castle iirc.

Last edited:

NanaMiku

Um, there's a refinery fallen ruin with a robot on it doing that right by one of the Lookout Landing gates, the one facing Hyrule Castle iirc.
The one near Lookout Landing is just for converting the crystalized energy to the battery. For buying the crystal, you can do it on the great sky island or on mining facility in the depth.

After putting like 50 hours in, I just can't do any more. I know I'm in the minority, but I find this game boring and repetitive. So much of it feels like replaying BoTW with tacked on stuff and recycled content. The combat hasn't evolved much since 1998, although fusing adds a tedious twist to it. Think I'll go play majora's mask instead for my zelda fix...I never actually played that game and everyone says it's amazing

jorgejjvr

Can someone tell me the purpose of the depth? Like what am I exploring for?

Othert than to get more batteries and poes.

I wonder the same about the sky, it all seems so barren up there lol

K' Dash

Othert than to get more batteries and poes.

I wonder the same about the sky, it all seems so barren up there lol

Schematics, poes, zonaite, crystals, tunics and there’s a specific quest to do a bunch of upgrades on your Pura Pad.

Oh, auto build too.

So far for me at least.

Almost updated my game without checking what it did. I haven't felt the need to do any duping yet but I do remember how annoying it was to farm Star Fragments to upgrade some armor in BotW, so I think I'm going to dupe a few of those.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I just checked my clock, I put 85 hours in to TotK and so far only done 2 temples, 85 hours is how long took me to finish BotW on my first playthrough.

Last edited:

GymWolf

If I remember righ they were kinda rare in BotW too but try the Thundra plain, I'm sure thats where I've seen the only one I've fought so far
I literally fought one 30 min after turning the game on, he was a brownish one with a long white beard.

Aldric

Resources mostly, this includes what you've mentioned but also very useful materials for combat and exploration on the surface like bomb flowers, puffshrooms and muddlebuds as well as weapons that haven't be corroded by malice, blueprints for autobuild and a bunch of outfits and unique weapons that used to be locked behing amiibos in BotW.

You can also fight dungeon bosses again, and there's also the fact each lightroot corresponds to a shrine on the surface so it's an easy way to locate shrines if you don't know where the ones you're missing are.

Last edited:

Nydius

Fire Temple almost broke my spirit. Not because it was particularly hard but due to reading that clusterfuck of a 2D map while also having smoke/heat distortion effects obscuring vision with Yunobo constantly getting in the way.

So far my biggest gripe with the game has to do with the companions. It's hard to use their abilities when they're running all over the place, sometimes all the way across the distance of whatever I'm fighting. Or, conversely, they'll just stand there and completely forget to fight entirely, way far back from where I'm actually engaged with an enemy.

Nankatsu

I know that I'm on the minority here, but I honestly think the game is overated, exactly like Breath of the Wild.

Shrines are fun and gameplay is inventive but everything else is just...not for me? I keep playing and the game doesn't click with me.

I don't find the world fascinating at all, actually I think it feels empty as hell, narrative is pretty scarce and uninteresting.

I'm currently sitting near the first tower that allows you to unlock parts of the map...and I'm not that hyped to keep playing.

Give me a bit of your Zelda Energy GAF.

bear sliding GIF

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Been hunting down the Yiga clan outfit, finally go the last piece. Time for some hideout infiltration.

Also did the Misko’s Treasures quest recently, that was a lot of fun. Really enjoyed the riddles.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
actually I think it feels empty as hell,
Empty how? You see animal running around, you see NPCs passing by, you see giant ass dragons flying around, you see enemies on camp sleeping at night or camping and eating food…..please tell me empty how?

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Schematics, poes, zonaite, crystals, tunics and there’s a specific quest to do a bunch of upgrades on your Pura Pad.

Oh, auto build too.

So far for me at least.
Resources to upgrade powerbank.

And weapons in pristine condition. I read somewhere that once you find a pristine weapon in the depths, that version starts spawning in Hyrule as well.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Empty how? You see animal running around, you see NPCs passing by, you see giant ass dragons flying around, you see enemies on camp sleeping at night or camping and eating food…..please tell me empty how?
Well, in my defense, in the portion of the map that I'm currently on, I haven't seen many of those things. In fact, when I came across something I had to walk quite a bit through that empty map I mentioned.

Maybe the game gets better, it just doesn't wow me like it does to the majority of people, I guess.

Should I probably tackle the main quest a bit first, instead of trying to explore the map?

Last edited:

Fiber

I love the way how switch hardware handles when link gets boomed to air on towers.
Instantly getting high, zero lag, zero stutter, zero loading.
Its just impossible.

Zimmy68

Precisely why I turned off auto updating. With as much padding and grind as this game has — far more than its predecessor — I have zero moral qualms about using a rupee shortcut. Especially when rupees are pretty much the least valuable “resource” in the game.

Sure, I’ve seen people on socials talking about duping other things but I really don’t care if they do. No more so than I cared if someone modded Skyrim to have a bag of holding. Their choices make no impact on how anyone else plays.

The only thing this extra money has made easier was building my house and keeping arrows stocked. You know what has made the game far easier than any dupe glitch? Having the full complement of LoZ amiibo. Since the first hour I have never had to worry about herbs, fish, meat, mushrooms, weapons, bows, or shields. Three heart Link in starter garb running around with a 28 defense Gerudo Shield and a 19+ attack cobble crusher because I scanned in the Urbosa and Daruk amiibo.
I agree. I dug out my envelop of NFC stickers I bought of all the Zelda amiiibos about 5 years ago and they have been a godsend in this game.
Even better, the gear seems to level up as you progress.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
If I had a nickel for every time I’ve said this to myself…

Just the other day I was trying to get up somewhere and lifted a platform with ultra hand and then used recall on it to lift myself up. Me to myself initially:
Mtv Emas Dj Khalid GIF by 2020 MTV EMA

As I’m slowly floating up I see the little crevasse that was obviously put in to use ascend. Me to myself as I’m going up:
1481917610-84624509.gif
My brain goes to the most hard and ridiculous solution. Sometimes it works. Other times when I figure the actual simple solution I feel .. so… dump.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I think the most underrated TOTK thing is the visuals.
The tesellation (especially when sunsets), the visual range, wind, gravity.
everything looks impossible, but they did possible.

Yea, peoples are quick to dismiss the visuals but fuck, it’s a studio Ghibli in game form and some times it’s even more impressive to me than whatever I saw on PC with a 3080 Ti. Art direction in this game is out of this world.

I went to the illumenti plateau because it has the geoglyph thing on it. When I got there the balloon thing was chained to the ground. I couldn't figure out how to use it or get up high enough to view the glyph. I ended up just walking around until I found the tear.

What was I meant to do?

jorgejjvr

Used a balloon, a plane, it says im right on it, but still cant see it on top or below me. Where in the world is this? The one by lookout landing
c3jWHRh.png

Used a balloon, a plane, it says im right on it, but still cant see it on top or below me. Where in the world is this? The one by lookout landing
c3jWHRh.png
It's not even there. The tablet has fallen into lookout landing. I messed with that too, there is no actual island up there as best I can tell.

I went to the illumenti plateau because it has the geoglyph thing on it. When I got there the balloon thing was chained to the ground. I couldn't figure out how to use it or get up high enough to view the glyph. I ended up just walking around until I found the tear.

What was I meant to do?
Maybe use some devices from the vending machines? You don't really have to see them from the air.

Top Bottom