• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |OT|

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
OJYhlT6.jpg

oUUCCzf.png

Metacritic (96)

Opencritic (97)

f9cf8077a6921911d520a419f320df4dc55f55fd.gifv

42bfb0d4d43c5a14d0d9be3834d10a1221bb600c.gifv

d43f511bb786ebb123c6250d140b5b5456e6c88f.gifv

e2fcc2dd6ba4d9495bc539b9c4aff115dd7365cf.gifv

d96882301d1c00c943dec51f79f0cac50c73ce33.gifv

TOTK #1

6ea5747f376536bad79bfe316d6811d1.gif

Last edited:

Trunim

I don't know, yeah it's fully packed with content, but it's just the same moblin camps, and whyyy even clear them? There's no reward or xp for it except for baked apples and equipment that will break on third impact. Barely a 7/10 so far. Supporting president Hudson saves it a bit.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news

Mother of all that is merciful this game looks incredibubble on my new Switch OLED.

The colors were designed to pop on that purdy screen.

Game blows BOTW out of the water in every way imaginable.

oh_i_get_it_chris_farley.gif

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Will pick up mine today but won't jump into it until I finish Jedi Survivor.

While I liked the first BotW for it's gameplay, I'm not that hyped for this one.

Maybe I'll get more into it when I play it.

Trilobit

I wondered what the TotK OT would be like. "Ravings of a Drunk Man" is what we got. Not disappointed.

Yes he did. He had a user poll with much better OT titles too. 🤔

mortal spending time to make an exquisite OT with much thought and love.
GigaBowser: "Hold my beers!"

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Ex Naughty Dog developer dammmmmmnnn hahaha

I wondered what the TotK OT would be like. "Ravings of a Drunk Man" is what we got. Not disappointed.

mortal spending time to make an exquisite OT with much thought and love.
GigaBowser: "Hold my beers!"
I says you snooze you lose. Mortal got tardy and it cost him, buuuuuuut I didn't spend a lot of time copy and pasting this OT so's if you guys wanna give it to someone else it's okay.

Just trying to help GAF out cuz they needed an official OT.

blacksheep-chrisfarley.gif

Last edited:
once again I´m tempted to buy a switch... But I just can´t bring myself to do it. The hardware is garbage and needs a refresh asap.... man this sucks.

Enjoy it guys! This looks special
I wouldn't suggest buying one at this point, if you've held off this long.

The new console will likely be out next year and will have an improved version of TotK.

GymWolf

just picked my copy, time to update both the switch and the game but i'm gonna be able to play only tonight.

Mister Wolf

I tried to resist but ended up buying and initiating the download before heading to work. To everyone with a Samsung TV make sure you get use out of the Game Motion Plus feature. It was designed for games like this.

mortal

Gold Member
Seriously ever since I gots my early copy I can't stop playing, guzzling beers and stuffing my fat face with infinite supplies fast food. I can't believe how good the game is getting, but probably be lates for work again today I need to do better.

Anywayz my friends this game is the GOAT and how about that intro?
african-kid-omg.gif

I says you snooze you lose. Mortal got tardy and it cost him, buuuuuuut I didn't spend a lot of time copy and pasting this OT so's if you guys wanna give it to someone else it's okay.

Just trying to help GAF out cuz they needed an official OT.

blacksheep-chrisfarley.gif
That's fair. I got busy with work and was indeed running late.
Although I just wished people would make proper thread claims in the OT claiming thread.

Fuck it, I don't even care anymore. I'm too tired and your thread's already up so keep it.
Just do me a favor and change the OT title to the winning title from the poll thread.

Xdrive05

Some technical notes:

The game clearly looks better than BotW. The image quality is noticeably better thanks to FSR1, which I can tell as a 65” TV owner who plays lots of 1080p games. In most cases the 3D elements look similar to 1080p even though it’s 900p at best. The FSR algorithm is used very well here! The draw distance is very noticeably improved, too. You can tell they leaned into the Switch’s advantages over the Wii-U in how they improved it (especially the nearly 3x useable RAM).

Nintendo continues to squeeze blood from a turnip with their aging hardware. This is probably their best example yet. This really shouldn’t be possible on downclocked 15w mobile Maxwell tech. While the art team obviously dazzles with what mileage they get from the limited tech budget, the programmers have wisely updated the engine to tap into Switches’ advantages over Wii-U.

Last edited:
Dusted off the old switch this week Had not played it more than 2 years. And I found the right joycon stick had gone dead...

But bought two brand new joycons and a physical copy of this game! Gonna be a good weekend!

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Some technical notes:

The game clearly looks better than BotW. The image quality is noticeably better thanks to FSR1, which I can tell as a 65” TV owner who plays lots of 1080p games. In most cases the 3D elements look similar to 1080p even though it’s 900p at best. The FSR algorithm is used very well here! The draw distance is very noticeably improved, too. You can tell they leaned into the Switch’s advantages over the Wii-U in how they improved it (especially the nearly 3x useable RAM).

Nintendo continues to squeeze blood from a turnip with their aging hardware. This is probably their best example yet. This really shouldn’t be possible on downclocked 15w mobile Maxwell tech. While the art team obviously dazzles with what mileage they get from the limited tech budget, the programmers have wisely updated the engine to tap into Switches’ advantages over Wii-U.
People saying it doesn't look better are disingenuous. That said, it is built on tech designed for ancient hardware at this point. Blood from a Stone is a good analogy. IF one was inclined to look up footage up ToTK running on emulation, the resolution boost to running it in 1440p alone really helps show the small particle work and the minutia of the environment that gets muddied up on Switch Hardware.

Regardless, I'll take this art direction and style all day if it means I get to keep the physics sandbox Nintendo have created.

I don't know, yeah it's fully packed with content, but it's just the same moblin camps, and whyyy even clear them? There's no reward or xp for it except for baked apples and equipment that will break on third impact. Barely a 7/10 so far. Supporting president Hudson saves it a bit.
This is what's giving me pause. I played the first one but gave up after I discovered the whole map - I just didn't see the point of exploring when all it seemed to result in were disposable weapons, shrines, and korok seeds. The combat isn't very good and there wasn't much enemy variety anyway.

The depths in TotK have piqued my interest because it seems like it might be more challenging than the overworld, but I know if I drop $70 on this and the depths is mostly empty I'm going to be pissed.

saintjules

african-kid-omg.gif

That's fair. I got busy with work and was indeed running late.
Although I just wished people would make proper thread claims in the OT claiming thread.

Fuck it, I don't even care anymore. I'm too tired and your thread's already up so keep it.
Just do me a favor and change the OT title to the winning title from the poll thread.

Considering this thread layout is exactly the same as the one on ERA :messenger_sunglasses: maybe the mods would allow yours since you claimed it.

Last edited:

radewagon

Link is broke. Think this one works:
https://kotaku.com/zelda-tears-kingdom-review-score-metacritic-opencritic-1850430540

I dunno man. Kotaku might have a point. BOTW was largely passed around as a perfect game. 10's and 9's across the board from a contingent of reviewers that seem to have lost all objectivity in regards to what is a HEAVILY flawed game. Look, it's fine. BOTW is a fine game. I bought it twice, even (WiiU first, Switch second), but I'd be lying if I said it was on par with most 9's and 10's out there. Now I get that, of course, taste is subjective, but such universally agreed upon taste gives me a lot of pause. If BOTW got such high praise regardless of how lacking much of it was, it's hard to look at TOTK's great reviews as an objectively positive thing. All it shows me is that TOTK either rights the wrongs of the similarly reviewed BOTW and delivers a borderline perfect experience OR... it's just as bad as BOTW and is being rated much higher than it actually deserves because reviewers are overlooking significant flaws. As it is, I can't see myself trusting the current reviews as it pertains to what my enjoyment of the game will be.

I'll play it at some point, but it'll be interesting to see a larger variety of impressions start to trickle in.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Did Zelda always sound like Hermione from Harry Potter?

Yeah…you should play BOTW before you hop into this game (if you plan to)

Really wtf is that title lol

This is what we get when an OT is late and trolls from other sites see an opportunity to ruin an OT on the site.

While I don’t blame them for taking advantage of us “old folks” the mods could easily course correct.

Hell they were quick to jump into the thread where everyone was “omggggg it’s dlc LUUUULLLL” but I guess they are too busy playing the game to watch the kiddies in the pool today.

Madflavor

Link is broke. Think this one works:
https://kotaku.com/zelda-tears-kingdom-review-score-metacritic-opencritic-1850430540

I dunno man. Kotaku might have a point. BOTW was largely passed around as a perfect game. 10's and 9's across the board from a contingent of reviewers that seem to have lost all objectivity in regards to what is a HEAVILY flawed game. Look, it's fine. BOTW is a fine game. I bought it twice, even (WiiU first, Switch second), but I'd be lying if I said it was on par with most 9's and 10's out there. Now I get that, of course, taste is subjective, but such universally agreed upon taste gives me a lot of pause. If BOTW got such high praise regardless of how lacking much of it was, it's hard to look at TOTK's great reviews as an objectively positive thing. All it shows me is that TOTK either rights the wrongs of the similarly reviewed BOTW and delivers a borderline perfect experience OR... it's just as bad as BOTW and is being rated much higher than it actually deserves because reviewers are overlooking significant flaws. As it is, I can't see myself trusting the current reviews as it pertains to what my enjoyment of the game will be.

I'll play it at some point, but it'll be interesting to see a larger variety of impressions start to trickle in.

I was thinking this. TotK supposedly improves on BotW in almost every way, is bigger, has more features, but both games scored the same.

Top Bottom