• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |OT|

What's the deal with the unique weapons you find? I assume if you use them they eventually just break, and then you can never get them back, is that right?
Yes you can actually replace them but you need to find the "NPC". There's a quest line for it and it involves the depths. If you haven't already you should go speak with a statue that is on the floor right below Purah.

Mr Branding

While the game is ok, it has kind of the same flaws as Botw, which make me not come back to it.

Besides the weapons breaking in a few hits, the enemies hit way too hard, I get one shotted constantly and upgrading the hearts can become such a bore and grind.
Needing to do 4 shrines for a minor upgrade is tedious, man.

I dunno if there is a specific order you need to do
dungeons, but I am at Zoras domain one in the sky and I barely do damage but those stupid robots destroy me in one hit. Is this Souls?

Last edited:

Sakura

While the game is ok, it has kind of the same flaws as Botw, which make me not come back to it.

Besides the weapons breaking in a few hits, the enemies hit way too hard, I get one shotted constantly and upgrading the hearts can become such a bore and grind.

dungeons, but I am at Zoras domain one in the sky and I barely do damage but those stupid robots destroy me in one hit. Is this Souls?
Mobs are really strong in this game. The bosses aren't as bad though.
More hearts won't make as big a difference as upgrading your armour. I would recommend doing the quest lines for the Great Fairies.

Sounds like maybe fuse better items to weapons? Also upgrading armor as the other fellow said could help, but I didn't get better armor/more than 6-7 hearts until late game, mostly relied on my weapons to do heavy lifting.

K' Dash

After playing a good chunk of the game I stumbled upon auto build while doing a side quest, by pure luck.

This thing is a life saver and a game changer, I can see people finding about this late in the game, which is not good in my book.

I loved that in BOTW they gave you all the abilities you needed to finish the game before leaving the great plateau.

As much as I’m loving the game, This is a miss for me

NanaMiku

How can I see all the routes I've already taken on the map?
You need to upgrade the Purah Pad. Speak to old guy researcher (I forgot his name, Robbie?) He should have a quest about upgrading the pad

After playing a good chunk of the game I stumbled upon auto build while doing a side quest, by pure luck.

This thing is a life saver and a game changer, I can see people finding about this late in the game, which is not good in my book.

I loved that in BOTW they gave you all the abilities you needed to finish the game before leaving the great plateau.

As much as I’m loving the game, This is a miss for me
You get the quest for auto build from Purah's assistant. At first she gave quest about taking picture of a statue in the depth (opening the camera feature on Purah Pad). After that quest, she will give quest about a "temple" that are connected to the statue picture. That temple is the mining facility where you get the auto build. After you get the auto build, you speak again to the assistant where she will ask you to demonstrate the ability. I got it pretty early by just following that quest line

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Have only finished the first two shrines in the sky, but I'm already madly in love with this game. That said, it's time for Nintendo to take the current Switch hardware out behind the barn.

gun-db-shotgun.gif

hemo memo

Gold Member
I will make a battery upgrade then 3 hearts increases as I’ve already accumulated 12 LoB and then off to theWater temple then the end game. At 65 armor level I think i’m overleveled for the rest of the game? Sadly I feel very limited in my inventory as i’ve only done maybe 3 shields 4 Bows and 5 Swords Korok upgrades.

GymWolf

The feminist city protection and desert dungeons where the weakest part of the game till now, super easy and not epic at all, and these new zombies enemies are absolute crap.

Solving the desert puzzle to reveal the dungeon with the light was the only fun part.

At least thunder girl skill is cool but like other people said, talking to them to activate the skill during combat is dumb af.

Time to meet fish-dude.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Have only finished the first two shrines in the sky, but I'm already madly in love with this game. That said, it's time for Nintendo to take the current Switch hardware out behind the barn.

gun-db-shotgun.gif
What’s wrong with the hardware? If anything, it made me realize just how much they’re able to squeeze out of this thing and how there’s no reason to rush to a new console, barring slumping sales.

GymWolf

What’s wrong with the hardware? If anything, it made me realize just how much they’re able to squeeze out of this thing and how there’s no reason to rush to a new console, barring slumping sales.
Are you really asking what's wrong with ancient resolutions and unstable 30 fps in 2023?

Robb

Gold Member
maybe 3 shields 4 Bows and 5 Swords Korok upgrades.
200.gif

At least thunder girl skill is cool but like other people said, talking to them to activate the skill during combat is dumb af.
Yeah I think the skills might be my biggest complaint thus far. At least the water/lightning one.

I got the fire/wind first and was very pleasantly surprised by how much they added for exploration. I use those two all the time. The water/lightning I don’t even know what to do with post the boss fights. I guess they’re for combat but as you say it’s very cumbersome that you have to be nearby to even use them. They’re always turned off for me.

Last edited:

Oberstein

Before talking about these it's important to mention something about a contentious topic when it comes to this new Zelda formula: dungeons. TotK dungeons probably won't satisfy those who're still clinging to the OoT template but from my perspective they do something very interesting with the concept. Keep in mind Nintendo have tried since at least Twilight Princess to change the definition of a dungeon by adding a lot of different challenges before entering the building proper which itself might be something that doesn't necessarily look like a dungeon. Snowpeak Ruins immediately comes to mind. In fact one of their stated goals with Skyward Sword was to blur the lines between a dungeon and its direct environment by having puzzles and boss encounters in the open. TotK manages to do just that.

The entire approach of the Wind Temple is one of the most visually striking and mechanically creative things I've ever experienced in a game but I personally think the Zora questline is the most successful example of this new philosophy. The Water Temple in itself is quite weak but what you have to do to reach it is incredibly satisfying. There's at least 8 different sections to go through and they're extremely varied and taken as a whole easily as complex, evocative and inventive if not more than any previous dungeon from the classic formula. It should also be noted that this approach allows for more variety in the overall structure of the main quests. For example as mentioned the Zora quest puts the emphasis on the pre-dungeon challenges while in the Gerudo quest the dungeon is the star of the show. The game also thankfully has unique dungeon bosses.

This point is important because I often read that the "dungeons" are not good enough. You really have to take into account the different layers to get to the last one. If you only take the temple element, you will be disappointed.

Just for the wind element, there is a whole progression to get there and a visual interaction for the player. You can see the tornado from afar, then you discover the NPCs who talk about it, the effects on the village, the progression towards the mountain, the climbing, the flying islands, the boats, etc.

It's not always perfect and there is a certain simplicity, yes, but it worked for me.

I want to elaborate a bit on the narrative because this is something I want to stress: it's not simply that this is a technical and game design marvel not only relative to its hardware but in the global industry context as well, it's also a GOOD game in every sense of the word. It's a story of good versus evil, gods and demons, princesses and knights, of traveling through heavens and hell, of the union between opposites. It's rife with traditional symbolism and evokes the legends, myths and fairy tales of old. It has zero cynicism, no ulterior motives. It doesn't try to lecture you about whatever real life political issues americans are currently obsessing over, it isn't subtly insulting or condescending, it doesn't have any "critical distance" or meta quips because it doesn't own up to what it is. How many titles, especially in the AAA space can say the same? Everything is subversive now and even if I can like well executed subversive stories when the majority of the cultural output is like that a classical adventure like Zelda feels all the more unique.

That's super essential too. I thought to myself while playing (and even in Botw), there's no modern cynicism applied to the franchise. No superficial allegory a la Kojima, etc; it's really archetypal and it's fun to get into the detail and the new lore that's brought in with each iteration, but I understand that it may not appeal to everyone.

If I had to make one criticism though, it would be the finality of the dungeons.
In the interest of player choice, the story told is the same for all 4 of your friends. Ganondorf is back and my power (water, fire, etc.) does not work. I would have appreciated a separate element for each of them, but we are back to the archetypes of the series again.

GymWolf

200.gif

Yeah I think the skills might be my biggest complaint thus far. At least the water/lightning one.

I got the fire/wind first and was very pleasantly surprised by how much they added for exploration. I use those two all the time. The water/lightning I don’t even know what to do with post the boss fights. I guess they’re for combat but as you say it’s very cumbersome that you have to be nearby to even use them. They’re always turned off for me.
Thunder girl under the rain against groups must be lethal.

Lupin3

The game runs like complete garbage on it! That's what's wrong!

Last edited:

Sakura

The feminist city protection and desert dungeons where the weakest part of the game till now, super easy and not epic at all, and these new zombies enemies are absolute crap.

Solving the desert puzzle to reveal the dungeon with the light was the only fun part.

Time to meet fish-dude.
I don't understand why it can't be down on the d-pad then choose which skill you want to use or something. You have a whole button just dedicated to calling your horse that probably isn't around, but you have to stand right next to someone to use their skill lol.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
The game runs like complete garbage on it! That's what's wrong!
Maybe it’s your system? Mine has zero issues on an OG Switch and the newer models run even smoother according to tech foundry? In fact, the story has been about how incredible the game runs on Switch…

Last edited:
Again, game runs at a stable 30FPS (watch the DF video). Could the resolution be better? Sure, but I have had an mClassic for years which really is good enough.
It does not run at a stable 30fps. Anytime you use ultrahand and start combining lots of parts, using vehicles, combined with weather effects, debris etc. the framerate fucking tanks. I dont give a shit what digital fuck boys say, they aren't stressing the game the way many players will.
Love the game, probably my favorite of this gen so far but the hardware is absolute dogshit.

GymWolf

It does not run at a stable 30fps. Anytime you use ultrahand and start combining lots of parts, using vehicles, combined with weather effects, debris etc. the framerate fucking tanks. I dont give a shit what digital fuck boys say, they aren't stressing the game the way many players will.
Love the game, probably my favorite of this gen so far but the hardware is absolute dogshit.
Df only tries the first 10-15 hours for their own admission, their framerate analysis is useless in games that get progressively harder to run the more you play.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
This. It doesn’t help that they are the same color in combat and I activate the wind dude instead of thunder girl by mistake.

GymWolf

This. It doesn’t help that they are the same color in combat and I activate the wind dude instead of thunder girl by mistake.
Fun fact, when you search for them they are hard to find, but sometimes they get in the way and i wrongly burned ingredients with rock dude or just pushed them out of a cliff with tulin:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I don't have much experience with Zelda, but I just finished the wind dungeon.
Are Zelda dungeons usually this easy? Because that was not very challenging.

The boss was super fun though.
The game is very easy throughout. Even the shrines in this one almost all take about 3-5 minutes to finish and I haven’t gotten stuck on any of them (80ish complete). I remember BotW shrines sometimes being more challenging, had to push the limits of the systems you were given. Here they all feel like tutorials.

When I see people flaunting their super high defense, I feel like I should really start the quest for the great fairies... Stables in Eldin, right? Haven't been to that region yet.

Robb

Gold Member
Thunder girl under the rain against groups must be lethal.
Probably, but it’s kind of annoying she also runs around and fights so you don’t know where she is. Makes it unreliable for me.

I don’t mind having other characters out and helping, but they should’ve mapped their abilities to a button.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I don't understand why it can't be down on the d-pad then choose which skill you want to use or something. You have a whole button just dedicated to calling your horse that probably isn't around, but you have to stand right next to someone to use their skill lol.
This. I’ve ignored the horse for pretty much 99% of the game. On foot or build something quick and with how high the tower push you up traversal is easy so just like you said, down on the d-pad should’ve been for skill uses.

GymWolf

This. I’ve ignored the horse for pretty much 99% of the game. On foot or build something quick and with how high the tower push you up traversal is easy so just like you said, down on the d-pad should’ve been for skill uses.
Yeah, wasting a button for the horse in a game where they are basically useless was a bad call on their part.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
We even gots CNN reporting on this the games gots so much buzz its a fruggin an unstoppable frate train and I mades the OP

Little Chicken

Gold Member
Anyone else feel like they're just playing a BotW mod? I'm enjoying TotK but it feels well worn already and I'm starting to feel like I'm just going through the motions.

Any other game reusing so many assets and the entire world map would be crucified.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Anyone else feel like they're just playing a BotW mod? I'm enjoying TotK but it feels well worn already and I'm starting to feel like I'm just going through the motions.

Any other game reusing so many assets and the entire world map would be crucified.
Completely the opposite here. I’ve played this directly after finishing BotW (50h) and 65h and counting with this one and a dungeon left and i’m still not getting the “same map” complaints. Yes, I have some complaints about the game but “same map” isn’t one of them.

Lupin3

Maybe it’s your system? Mine has zero issues on an OG Switch and the newer models run even smoother according to tech foundry? In fact, the story has been about how incredible the game runs on Switch…

It does not run incredible on the Switch. Try BotW on Cemu if you want to see incredible. Also, sometimes it completely tanks when using the Ultra. There's nothing wrong with my system. Now, granted I've only played the beginning, but I doubt it gets any better.

Robb

Gold Member

Not really and I played BotW right before it. There are honestly times where I wonder if they’d have saved time just making a new map instead of changing the current one, I barely recognize areas outside of major landmarks.

Scotty W

I feel like I have been seduced by the Gerudo mission. I really didn’t want to go in there, but once I got to the bazaar, it was like, ok, maybe just a bit further, then I’ll turn around, but the next thing is always so interesting, and the difficulty challenge level is just so perfect that I have penetrated the heart of the Gerudo temple.

Aldric

Wow would yuo say that if the gayme was clalled Belda then pepole woudl not care???? Really make u think!!

Top Bottom