• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |OT|

Whelp, I took the time to get ToTK running on Yuzu and it is working really well. Much better and less jarring that docked switch on my TV. Honestly, I thought it looked terrible on docked switch.

If you have an early switch model and a mid tier pc, it is absolutely worth the time to mod, dump and get everything running on PC. If you have an early model switch, it is probably also worthwhile to overclock your switch, since I hear 1080 60fps is possible somehow?

It is a treasure of a game that is held back by archaic hardware.

Also, since emu is being discussed, I want to clarify that I purchased ToTK full price on day 1. Nintendo deserves all the sales they have gotten for this one.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Whelp, I took the time to get ToTK running on Yuzu and it is working really well. Much better and less jarring that docked switch on my TV. Honestly, I thought it looked terrible on docked switch.

If you have an early switch model and a mid tier pc, it is absolutely worth the time to mod, dump and get everything running on PC. If you have an early model switch, it is probably also worthwhile to overclock your switch, since I hear 1080 60fps is possible somehow?

It is a treasure of a game that is held back by archaic hardware.
I just looked it up and it seems like you can transfer save data off the Switch to use in Yuzu, I might give it a shot later to see how it runs on PC.

I just looked it up and it seems like you can transfer save data off the Switch to use in Yuzu, I might give it a shot later to see how it runs on PC.
Nice! I hadn't gotten too far before the jank of it got to me so I just started over.

Im on a 3060 laptop and with the 60fps mod, dynamic fps mod and 1080p rendering I get about 30-40fps on average, when shaders aren't compiling. So the framerate is a bit better than stock switch but the resolution and anti aliasing is much better. It does dip down to 25 sometimes, but I feel like it does that on the switch a lot too. No fps counter on the switch for me to be sure.

Hardensoul

Completely the opposite here. I’ve played this directly after finishing BotW (50h) and 65h and counting with this one and a dungeon left and i’m still not getting the “same map” complaints. Yes, I have some complaints about the game but “same map” isn’t one of them.
My initial thought was eh! After coming down, but soon realize some things I remember was not the same and have felt almost lost of where I was. I had 700hrs in BoTW.

I’ve been enjoying running around exploring. I’m ignoring the story so far. I’m going to start doing them soon!

FunkMiller

Gold Member
My play time now says over 40 hours.

I’ve only done a few quests. I’m never finishing this game 🤣

Last edited:
I don't understand why it can't be down on the d-pad then choose which skill you want to use or something. You have a whole button just dedicated to calling your horse that probably isn't around, but you have to stand right next to someone to use their skill lol.
Agreed, calling the horse probably would have been better off being in the radial menu in place of the amiibo functionality. Just have it grayed out unless the horse is close enough to be called or something.

You need to upgrade the Purah Pad. Speak to old guy researcher (I forgot his name, Robbie?) He should have a quest about upgrading the pad

You get the quest for auto build from Purah's assistant. At first she gave quest about taking picture of a statue in the depth (opening the camera feature on Purah Pad). After that quest, she will give quest about a "temple" that are connected to the statue picture. That temple is the mining facility where you get the auto build. After you get the auto build, you speak again to the assistant where she will ask you to demonstrate the ability. I got it pretty early by just following that quest line
At the moment Robbie is just telling me to go to the Hateno lab, but he can't go yet because he wants to see Josha's research, who doesn't tell me anything interesting. I suppose I need to progress through the game first? But what does "progress" even mean there...

I'm not getting any quest from Purah either, either I need to progress for that one too, or it's because I've already found Autohand.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
It does not run incredible on the Switch. Try BotW on Cemu if you want to see incredible. Also, sometimes it completely tanks when using the Ultra. There's nothing wrong with my system. Now, granted I've only played the beginning, but I doubt it gets any better.
I don't know man, I honestly have not experienced any issues. Maybe because I only play docked?

SCB3

I made a flamethrower roomba with a taser, this game is great.
I killed myself doing that once great times

Anyway the Fire Temple is kinda cool, linear and I definitely did it in the unintended way which is always awesome when I look up how to actually do after finishing it

daveonezero

Banned
So, he's saying programming the physics like what we see is hard? Damn if thats how other Devs are thinking and gushing over. I'm just playing didn't realize.
Yeah I think at how open it is is the kicker. The player basically has developer tools. Its more akin to Gary's Mod than anything else.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I don't know man, I honestly have not experienced any issues. Maybe because I only play docked?

I do too. But hey, if you're happy with the performance, all the better. It is what it is. I for one can't wait for Switch 2 or whatever they'll call it, but the game is just too much fun, so I guess I literally can't wait for better hardware to play TotK. And besides, it kinda speaks for how great it is, that I actually put up with (in my opinion) terrible performance.

Here's to TotK!

Be.gif

And even if the fps dips hard when using the Ultrahand, I totally love it. Have definitely reached places in ways I don't think Nintendo ever intended. Which, in a way, probably were their exact intentions with the ability.

Seems people are impressed by the physics engine, it's leaking into my twitter feed even though it's not really related to anything I follow.

I just came upon the place in that first video; I have no idea if I'm supposed to be able to do anything there yet, although it looks like it will be a fetch quest to bring four parts to a central thing again...
So there's a robot factory, with a robot missing its head, arms, and legs. There are four "depots" around the factory, each named after one of the missing parts. I haven't seen a head yet though, so either I haven't looked enough, or it will be something to do later on (and the head will probably ask me to retrieve its arms and legs).

I just came upon the place in that first video; I have no idea if I'm supposed to be able to do anything there yet, although it looks like it will be a fetch quest to bring four parts to a central thing again...
So there's a robot factory, with a robot missing its head, arms, and legs. There are four "depots" around the factory, each named after one of the missing parts. I haven't seen a head yet though, so either I haven't looked enough, or it will be something to do later on (and the head will probably ask me to retrieve its arms and legs).
Pretty much, but I enjoyed it because they aren't very far from the area in question and each zone is a short but unique puzzle.

NanaMiku

At the moment Robbie is just telling me to go to the Hateno lab, but he can't go yet because he wants to see Josha's research, who doesn't tell me anything interesting. I suppose I need to progress through the game first? But what does "progress" even mean there...

I'm not getting any quest from Purah either, either I need to progress for that one too, or it's because I've already found Autohand.
Probably because you already get Autohand. I also found a side quest to find a guy who stuck on a cave and he sent message bottle. I didn't find the bottle but found him. The side quest is auto activated and completed. Maybe your quest is also already completed but you didn't realize it. I didn't get any new side quest from Purah, only Robbie and Josha. If Robbie already telling you to go to Hateno lab, the quest most likely is already activated. Try looking you quest list

I've completed the regional disturbances, most other main quest I think there's only one left remaining for me. I also did what I think is all of the side stuff related to the Underworld - though I'm still searching for some rogue pieces of clothing but I'm certain they're laying about in areas of the map down there I have yet to illuminate, but swear I've been to every sky island and haven't found all those old maps. Maybe some are in caves, can't remember, but I certainly haven't been to all the caves. I need to do more exploration on the ground in Hyrule proper and there are 2-3 regions I've either not entered at all or just barely.

I do and don't like the shrines as much as BotW in this one - I feel like some are really good, but it feels like half the time it's a tutorial shrine or that the overall length of some of these shrines is shorter than BotW (less building upon concept, or less elaborate building upon concept, not that BotW was amazing at this either (I enjoyed some of the DLC shrines the most in BotW and after that was hoping we would get some quite elaborate shrines in TotK but mostly feel like that didn't happen) and maybe I haven't done enough, but I'm sure I've done 50-60 by now or more - and WAY too many of the blessing Shrines which are just pick up and go. I think Shrines could really go in general, work heart pieces/stamina vessels back into the better side quests like they used to be in old Zelda, or even have a few scattered throughout the overworld as they used to be also. Would help incentivize those things better, though they have been better incentivized here over BotW, that would further help that aspect IMO. I do understand some people need these tutorial shrines because some can play the game many hours and not realize something is possible and admittedly this happens to me sometimes, so it's a fine line of figuring out how to manage that. Simultaneously, the player has already played X hours, so who's to say they'll ever even enter that particular shrine anyway? I think it's admirable but questionable in the end. But if they did go, work more of these sorts of puzzles into the overworld environment in relation to side quests, etc. As it stands, most of them are broken easier than in BotW so surely that can't be the reason to isolate them anymore could it?

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Shrines are tutorials to helps do stuffs in the worlds
temples and quests are fors people who were fans of the older Zeldas with lowers challenge
The main world is for everyone, basic all thes way up to pro level gamers with high combat + building skill ceilings like Champions Road

Shrines are tutorials to helps do stuffs in the worlds
temples and quests are fors people who were fans of the older Zeldas with lowers challenge
The main world is for everyone, basic all thes way up to pro level gamers with high combat + building skill ceilings like Champions Road
Yeah I don't disagree overall or anything, just wish somehow they could take the good ones to the next level, more intricate and build up on the concepts presented even more. Being that players don't -have- to complete shrines I feel like they really could do this. And I'd love to see hearts/stam back in the world for rewards.

Amazing game either way, just thinking moreso for the future.

Aldric

What are you guys favorite area in the game? Personally I love the Ancient Zora Waterworks. Amazing atmosphere, visuals are reminiscent of the Lakebed Temple from Twilight Princess but the music is far more serene and ethereal.

NanaMiku

What are you guys favorite area in the game? Personally I love the Ancient Zora Waterworks. Amazing atmosphere, visuals are reminiscent of the Lakebed Temple from Twilight Princess but the music is far more serene and ethereal.
Mipha Court... because I really like Mipha...

So maybe I just need to switch back to the Japanese voice acting (even though I am annoyed at how the Japanese voice actors enunciate "Link"), but whenever someone says "My stone... My Secret Stone" in English it sounds super gay. I don't know why it bothers me so much. Couldn't they have thought of a better name for the stone than "secret stone?"

Hard to say, there are so many awesome and serene areas. I think many random overworld locations could be this for me. I do like the waterworks too, wish it was longer. Most of the game is just gorgeous to me. For the life of me don't get the graphic haters on this, to me it's stunning.

Okay, I uh stumbled upon a place that gave me a new Main Quest objective. I would like some advice.
Its from the Thunderhead Isles where you have to open a door using hearts, quest is called Guidance from Ages Past
Am I at risk of skipping a lot of stuff or even getting to the "end game" portion if I follow it?
If you have are already done with most of the game or have completed, please respond in spoiler text.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

My favorite areas visual wise are all on the sky,the very first islands, and the Wind and Water temples,the look of the temples is majestic

While i don't find it pretty, Zora's Domain when it rains slug is interesting it looks like it rains shit and piss from the heavens

Okay, I uh stumbled upon a place that gave me a new Main Quest objective. I would like some advice.
Its from the Thunderhead Isles where you have to open a door using hearts, quest is called Guidance from Ages Past
Am I at risk of skipping a lot of stuff or even getting to the "end game" portion if I follow it?
If you have are already done with most of the game or have completed, please respond in spoiler text.
You are supposed to get the quest by doing the main quest otherwise, but honestly starting there you aren't missing much and can do the other part later that comes before hand.

I guess to further clarify you will come across this the right way if you continue the main quests you have as is, so you can avoid it for now if you want to do it in a more linear way is what I mean. But I did it from the same point as you.

Last edited:
You are supposed to get the quest by doing the main quest otherwise, but honestly starting there you aren't missing much and can do the other part later that comes before hand.

I guess to further clarify you will come across this the right way if you continue the main quests you have as is, so you can avoid it for now if you want to do it in a more linear way is what I mean. But I did it from the same point as you.
Awesome, thanks.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Hard to say, there are so many awesome and serene areas. I think many random overworld locations could be this for me. I do like the waterworks too, wish it was longer. Most of the game is just gorgeous to me. For the life of me don't get the graphic haters on this, to me it's stunning.
Cuz its hard to believes such crud hardware can have such a purdy game Nintendo are Gonai wizardo's though and Switch OLED is the screen from the handhelds heavens

Pejo

If Zelda is a direct descendent of Goatman and Sonya, but they didn't have any kids in any of the past cutscenes, and she dies. How did the bloodline carry on? How was Zelda even born?

If Zelda is a direct descendent of Goatman and Sonya, but they didn't have any kids in any of the past cutscenes, and she dies. How did the bloodline carry on? How was Zelda even born?
I have yet to figure this out either. I haven't beaten the game yet but it doesn't seem forthcoming. Definitely been bothering me though.

Last edited:
Probably because you already get Autohand. I also found a side quest to find a guy who stuck on a cave and he sent message bottle. I didn't find the bottle but found him. The side quest is auto activated and completed. Maybe your quest is also already completed but you didn't realize it. I didn't get any new side quest from Purah, only Robbie and Josha. If Robbie already telling you to go to Hateno lab, the quest most likely is already activated. Try looking you quest list
That's the thing. At the moment, Robbie tells me he wants to stay in at Lookout Landing because he's interested in Josha's research, and Josha tells me to focus on the "doc"'s investigations. If that doc is Robbie, then I'm out of options, and if it's Purah ( who keeps telling me to investigate the four regions) then I probably need to progress through the story.
Nothing in my quest list in any case.

NanaMiku

That's the thing. At the moment, Robbie tells me he wants to stay in at Lookout Landing because he's interested in Josha's research, and Josha tells me to focus on the "doc"'s investigations. If that doc is Robbie, then I'm out of options, and if it's Purah ( who keeps telling me to investigate the four regions) then I probably need to progress through the story.
Nothing in my quest list in any case.
Welp, that's really weird. Maybe the trigger for the hateno lab quest is when you demonstrate the autobuild in front of Josha and Robbie. Maybe try to go to Hateno lab to see if Robbie will be there?

Welp, that's really weird. Maybe the trigger for the hateno lab quest is when you demonstrate the autobuild in front of Josha and Robbie. Maybe try to go to Hateno lab to see if Robbie will be there?
Been there, done that. His lab only has a paper on the door saying to find him in Lookout Landing. After a quick search on the internet, it seems you do have to continue the main quest first.

I suppose it will be the same for the great fairies; I went to Woodland Stables and found the band's conductor, he only talks about the newspaper company in Heda, so I probably need to go there first before I can do this one. The drummer I helped earlier was nowhere to be found though...

NanaMiku

Been there, done that. His lab only has a paper on the door saying to find him in Lookout Landing. After a quick search on the internet, it seems you do have to continue the main quest first.

I suppose it will be the same for the great fairies; I went to Woodland Stables and found the band's conductor, he only talks about the newspaper company in Heda, so I probably need to go there first before I can do this one. The drummer I helped earlier was nowhere to be found though...
Welp, didn't realized you can get locked out like that.

For the great fairies, I helped the horn player first before went to the newspaper company. I met the conductor much later on. the instrument player you helped will appear when it's time to go to the great fairy.
every great fairy quest basically split into two part: you need to find the instrument player and do a puzzle on how to bring the band to the great fairy. the player you helped will appear when it's puzzle time

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I finished the 4 region quest. And now they want me to go to Hyrule Castle. That is not the last quest is it? There is more after. I just want to explore before Gannon.

Hardensoul

I finished the 4 region quest. And now they want me to go to Hyrule Castle. That is not the last quest is it? There is more after. I just want to explore before Gannon.
I haven’t gotten that far in story. But if it’s like BotW, defeating Ganon will end the game and get credits! There is no plus game.

To continue, don’t defeat Ganon. If you defeat Ganon and want to play same file, you must reload the game before fighting Ganon.

Top Bottom