• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda - The Shadowgazer

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
loosus said:
Looks to me like Nintendo would profit off all these homebrewn games by making a DS "game" or Wii "game" that has some basic objects/sprites and lets you make your own game, using some super-high-level scripting language like JavaScript, with maybe 256 KB of storage (and the inability to read larger games, even if someone hacks extra storage in).

That way, these people get to satisfy their greatest desires of making this stuff, their friends get to play it on real gaming hardware, and it's all done in a highly controlled environment where Nintendo still gets to laugh all the way to the bank.
This + LBP-style content sharing would make the game of the forever.
But, again, we're talking about Nintendo.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Sega1991 said:
More and more companies realize they are no more harmful than little Billy writing a fanfic titled "MARIO & SONIC SAVE THE WORLD".
you just gave me my first freelance project out of uni

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
loosus said:
Looks to me like Nintendo would profit off all these homebrewn games by making a DS "game" or Wii "game" that has some basic objects/sprites and lets you make your own game, using some super-high-level scripting language like JavaScript, with maybe 256 KB of storage (and the inability to read larger games, even if someone hacks extra storage in).

That way, these people get to satisfy their greatest desires of making this stuff, their friends get to play it on real gaming hardware, and it's all done in a highly controlled environment where Nintendo still gets to laugh all the way to the bank.
i doubt very few people would be willing to make a decent game though

Spike

Nintendo has never shut down any of these fan projects before, so why do you guys assume they will start now?

As long as the dev doesn't look to be compensated, then Nintendo won't even care.

Spike

Sega1991 said:
WiiWare Cave Story is nice and all, I guess, but I'm pretty indifferent towards a console release of a free PC game that can run on an extremely wide range of hardware. Yes, the WiiWare version is getting upgraded a little bit, but... still. Can't really seem to care.

I enjoyed Cave Story so much that I think the creator deserves to get some money for it. That's why I'll be buying it off the WiiWare once it's available.

Odrion

Banned
Yeah, didn't that Metroid 2 remake get completed? I never really heard of Nintendo shutting down fangames unless they are sold or published in magazines

This looks pretty cool, I'd say they should of made a original game but it's in game maker anyways :p
But Nintendo is already successful with publishing fangames.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'm adding this to the fan projects I'm watching, along with SR388 and Mushroom Kingdom Fusion

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Looks amazing, great sprites.

That being said, the gameplay looks slooooooooooow and the animation seems stiff. I'm not trying to be negative (I couldn't even come close to doing this) but those are some issues I saw in the video.

Just polish it up and I'd buy it day one.

DavidDayton said:
3) Ethical/moral issues -- the fans didn't create the characters, and thus really have no "moral claim" to them. I'd rather have them create their own characters/story/game than do a simple copy from an existing template... especially when the copyright owners request/ask/demand that fans do not produce such derivative works. Common courtesy and all that.

Many awesome things that you can find on the Internet wouldn't exist if everyone follewed that logic... :/

CO_Andy said:
Ocarina of Time 2D R.I.P.

Did that one actually exist, as in, was it ever to be taken seriously ? I heard all there was to it was an old half-assed demo and an attention whore.

Spike said:
Nintendo has never shut down any of these fan projects before, so why do you guys assume they will start now?

As long as the dev doesn't look to be compensated, then Nintendo won't even care.

This. Freaking This.

Nintendo could care less about fan projects.

Not once have they ever shut anything down.

Somnid said:
What a waste. If you are going to put this much effort into something at least make your own IP. It's not that hard to make an homage if you really like a game. There's plenty of people out there to help you out with art/music and what-not.

However because this is just stealing characters, art, seemingly music and sound effects Nintendo has every right to shut them down and I would whole-hearted agree with such a decision.

facepalm.jpg

I guessing you think that, say, the Mother 3 Translation shouldn't have happened.

Hesemonni

Banned
PataHikari said:
This. Freaking This.

Nintendo could care less about fan projects.

facepalm.jpg
This. Freaking This.

17856225_400.jpg

DavidDayton said:
3) Ethical/moral issues -- the fans didn't create the characters, and thus really have no "moral claim" to them. I'd rather have them create their own characters/story/game than do a simple copy from an existing template... especially when the copyright owners request/ask/demand that fans do not produce such derivative works. Common courtesy and all that.

Copyright is not a moral issue.

Copyright exists solely for the purpose to allow the artist to make money. It is meant to encourage the artist by allowing them to control how their art is used.

Throughout history most authors and artist have taken materials from past works and used them as their own. Heck, even today it's done, Disney would not exist without the countless fairy tales and legends that inspired their movies.

The fact that the artist is basing his/her work off some other property owned by another group does not make it less moral, or less artistic.

Legally, the copyright owner can stop it if they choose. But they don't have to, and often they don't. Because these projects, by nature, are made by fans and attacking them would only serve to piss off the fans who buy your product.

Hesemonni said:
Hurr hurr

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiom

CO_Andy said:
Ocarina of Time 2D R.I.P.

OoT 2D was shut down by the creator who got tired of it, at first rather then fess up he tried to claim that Nintendo shut him down.

Zeenbor

Very impressive! I love the boss battle that they showed and the atmosphere of Zelda is really captured well.

I'd say this is the best Zelda fan game I've seen yet!

Pepboy

While I enjoyed the style, am I the only one who thinks Link is running very slowly?

I think I would get frustrated with the overall speed/pace (it reminds me of the original zelda).

Oh goody!

1) Nintendo has shut down Zelda fan projects before. Go to The Gaming Universe and ask them about Zelda 2 Enhanced. Nintendo went after them. Nintendo did a sweep back in 2002/2003 of fan games and got quite a few of them. Zelda Classic will never be stopped because it is just the ENGINE handcoded with the original two quests bundled in. You can make "custom quests" using ZQuest which run in Zelda Classic, so if they remove the name and the sprites, the backend is all legal and can't be touched. That's why Nintendo doesn't go after that one. They also seem less likely to take on something that is incomplete, like this, as long as it does nothing but good for their image. However, if it gets too popular and the game reflects something Nintendo doesn't like, or Miyamoto and his team doesn't like, they'll go after it. That's based on their actions and statements in the past.

2) They're announcing/making this public now for a variety of reasons probably. They want recognition, they want donations, they want motivation, etc. Except for ROM hacks and Zelda Classic, which took YEARS to come out, I've never seen a completed Zelda fan game that's anything other than crappy flash or from RPGMaker. The only successful/complete games ever are ROM hacks or Fan Translations. Handcoded from scratch, full-blown fan games on par with something you'd see on a console/portable (in the realm of Zelda at least) don't exist. Zelda Classic is the end all, be all of Zelda fan game - seriously. It's been done for years, and been UPGRADED with further development - I think it can do ALttP and LA engine stuff now (I know ALttP at least). You can import your own sprite sheets, music, etc. Make your own Zelda-esque quests - not even Zelda!

3) Okay trailer, but that's just it - a trailer. Back in the day, I can't tell you how many times X fangame showed off new screens (OoT 2D - looking at you) and we saw jack.

When I see the game released, and it doesn't suck, I'll change my attitude. But this sort of thing reeks of both attention whore-ness and "will-never-see-the-light-of-day" syndrome. Until then, my memories are pleasantly filled with Zelda Classic awesomeness and the olden days of Zelda fangame dramu.

KrawlMan

PataHikari said:

The phrase is "I couldn't care less". When people say the phrase, it is interpreted literally. Maybe the person isn't 100% serious about the statement, but the meaning of the statement itself is clear as day.

Trying to use "I could care less" in the same context makes absolutely no sense. I don't see how there is any defense for the phrase at all. Not trying to derail the thread or start an argument, but just because people use the phrase, doesn't mean it is correct.

Back on topic though...awesome looking game. I really wish Nintendo would see some of these fan made games and work out some kinda deal to get them released legitimately (so long as they are up to snuff w/ the rest of Nintendo's efforts).

jman2050

TSA said:
Oh goody!

1) Nintendo has shut down Zelda fan projects before. Go to The Gaming Universe and ask them about Zelda 2 Enhanced. Nintendo went after them. Nintendo did a sweep back in 2002/2003 of fan games and got quite a few of them. Zelda Classic will never be stopped because it is just the ENGINE handcoded with the original two quests bundled in. You can make "custom quests" using ZQuest which run in Zelda Classic, so if they remove the name and the sprites, the backend is all legal and can't be touched. That's why Nintendo doesn't go after that one. They also seem less likely to take on something that is incomplete, like this, as long as it does nothing but good for their image. However, if it gets too popular and the game reflects something Nintendo doesn't like, or Miyamoto and his team doesn't like, they'll go after it. That's based on their actions and statements in the past.

2) They're announcing/making this public now for a variety of reasons probably. They want recognition, they want donations, they want motivation, etc. Except for ROM hacks and Zelda Classic, which took YEARS to come out, I've never seen a completed Zelda fan game that's anything other than crappy flash or from RPGMaker. The only successful/complete games ever are ROM hacks or Fan Translations. Handcoded from scratch, full-blown fan games on par with something you'd see on a console/portable (in the realm of Zelda at least) don't exist. Zelda Classic is the end all, be all of Zelda fan game - seriously. It's been done for years, and been UPGRADED with further development - I think it can do ALttP and LA engine stuff now (I know ALttP at least). You can import your own sprite sheets, music, etc. Make your own Zelda-esque quests - not even Zelda!

3) Okay trailer, but that's just it - a trailer. Back in the day, I can't tell you how many times X fangame showed off new screens (OoT 2D - looking at you) and we saw jack.

When I see the game released, and it doesn't suck, I'll change my attitude. But this sort of thing reeks of both attention whore-ness and "will-never-see-the-light-of-day" syndrome. Until then, my memories are pleasantly filled with Zelda Classic awesomeness and the olden days of Zelda fangame dramu.

Heh, and here I thought you had forgotten about us :p

Not that I don't appreciate the effort, but there's a 99% chance this never comes out. Zelda Classic only continues to exist because of an extremely unlikely chain of events that led to continued fan support and continued developer support from at least 3 different "generations" of developers. And even then not too many people still know about it because the last time it ever got advertised to a substantial degree was five years ago.

In general, most fangames do not get big enough for Nintendo to even bat an eyelash. Heck, I'm not sure if they would care about this even if it became big, but I think it depends on the circumstances.

Yusaku

That's obviously using graphics lifted from The Minish Cap. Nintendo would be stupid to not shut this down.

Wow, that actually had some intriguing ideas. I liked the astronomy angle, that fits right in with something new a Zelda game would use. And the useless beds in Zelda games becoming a portal to dream dungeons, that's clever.

It's sad that now it's on GAF, the life expectancy of this is so short.

Yusaku said:
That's obviously using graphics lifted from The Minish Cap. Nintendo would be stupid to not shut this down.

Shutting it down would only serve to piss off fans at zero gain.

It's not worth it. Therefore, Nintendo will ignore it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yusaku said:

Thats usually what fangames and hacks do...

Pachinko

I just watched this myself and I didn't even see the thread. It looks pretty good for a fangame. Even though it ripped off the main idea from alundra... I guess that's okay though since alundra was itself a clone of link to the past.

Azure J

This only makes me wish that someone would see the newer fan game creations (Sonic 2 HD, Retro Sonic XG, Mega Man HD) and do a Super Mario Bros. 3 HD. Or if I could lead a group and do it... :p

Either way, awesome find.

Bloody hell, this looks like an actual Zelda game! Simply incredible.

The only problem I have is the lack of commas, because I'm a grammar nazi.

Pepboy said:
While I enjoyed the style, am I the only one who thinks Link is running very slowly?

I think I would get frustrated with the overall speed/pace (it reminds me of the original zelda).
it says in the GT comment that its only slow due to the vid capture tool they used.

D-Pad

Spike said:
Nope, the creator just didn't want to do it anymore. He even faked his own death to get people to stop asking him when he would be done with it.

http://www.squidnews.com/2007/04/01/dampes-not-dead-ocarina-of-time-2d-creator-fakes-his-death/
That was only one OOT2D project...

The "big" one, that's been getting years (and years) of attention (before Dampe's even started) was being made by TheRealMethuselah over at Zelda Fan Game Central. Recently, he's been releasing parts of his game's engine -- like the "Zelda Text Box Engine", and some other one that escapes me at the moment -- but has said almost nothing about OOT2D.

But enough off topic, Shadowgazer is looking fantastic. This is one Zelda fangame that might actually get finished!

This look great, so there's no way it will be finished or allowed to release.

Why do people working on projects like this publicize their work before they finish? If they would wait until they have a final product and release it, nobody could stop them.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
PataHikari said:
Copyright is not a moral issue.

Copyright exists solely for the purpose to allow the artist to make money. It is meant to encourage the artist by allowing them to control how their art is used.

Throughout history most authors and artist have taken materials from past works and used them as their own. Heck, even today it's done, Disney would not exist without the countless fairy tales and legends that inspired their movies.

The fact that the artist is basing his/her work off some other property owned by another group does not make it less moral, or less artistic.

For you, copyright isn't a moral issue. For me, I suppose it is. At the very least, it's in the "don't be a jerk" realm -- don't make derivative versions of someone else's work without their approval. Stuff that's entered the public domain realm is different, as the original creator isn't around any more to object or consent. Aside from all the legal reasons, it stikes me as wrong to use someone else's work without their consent... and I have the notion most of the truly creative folks throughout history would agree with me. People HATE having their original ideas stolen and used by someone else.

Odrion said:
Yeah, didn't that Metroid 2 remake get completed? I never really heard of Nintendo shutting down fangames unless they are sold or published in magazine.

Not even then. I made a Mario fangame years ago (ignore the "Help me get a DS Lite" link, I haven't updated the site in years and years). It's probably had well over a 500,000+ downloads across the various websites its been re-posted at; it was featured on Attack of the Show and at least five or six different magazines all over the world (GFW Magazine, GamesMaster UK, etc.)

I've never gotten a C&D.

The Metroid 2 Fangame wasn't finished; it just got an extended demo called "Confrontation".

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Pretty cool.

What's more amazing, however, is that this is a concept that would make a damn good Zelda game.

That's pretty are in a fan-project.

DavidDayton said:
For you, copyright isn't a moral issue. For me, I suppose it is. At the very least, it's in the "don't be a jerk" realm -- don't make derivative versions of someone else's work without their approval. Stuff that's entered the public domain realm is different, as the original creator isn't around any more to object or consent. Aside from all the legal reasons, it stikes me as wrong to use someone else's work without their consent... and I have the notion most of the truly creative folks throughout history would agree with me. People HATE having their original ideas stolen and used by someone else.

Devil's Advocate:

1) Person dies but (C) still applies, but control of it passes to greedy corporation who whores out the IP and shows it no respect.

2) No response from creator, for whatever reason, and you wanted to use the piece in an educational way that preserved the original work without any editing.

3) Citing the work is all you need to do nowadays if it is non-profit, right? I mean, I wrote essays back in high school and college, and I uses footnotes and citations, and I didn't call up every one of those authors to ask their permission...

PROTIP (READ THIS): You can't copyright IDEAS people, you can only copyright an expression of a certain idea. The (C) for Zelda is a game about a hero named Link who wields the Master Sword trying to save a land named Hyrule from Ganon and rescue a Princess named Zelda. The (C) is not for a lone hero who has to save the world from an evil tyrant and rescue a princess by wielding a mythical blade. Former sentence is the idea, latter is the expression protected by copyright. In fact, the (C) applies to specific characters, events, music and such.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
TSA said:
Devil's Advocate:

1) Person dies but (C) still applies, but control of it passes to greedy corporation who whores out the IP and shows it no respect.
If you believe there is generally a moral right to respect the copyright owner of a work and their ownership of that work, which I do, then it would extend to whoever the creator sold or passed those rights on to. Given that we have a limited copyright and that it will eventually go into the public domain, I don't see the real problem here. I mean, it's sad that the secondary owner is doing stupid stuff with that, but if I want to promote the GENERAL CONCEPT of copyright and respect for owners of their own work, I need to defend even the talentless hacks who own things as well. Copyright protection isn't subjective.

2) No response from creator, for whatever reason, and you wanted to use the piece in an educational way that preserved the original work without any editing.
There are educational provisions... but I'm confused as to how what exactly you mean by "use... educational way... presevered the original work without any editing". Isn't that just presenting the original work, or excerpts from it? The closest parallel for video games would seem to be presenting speedrun videos or something like that, which is akin to public readings of books, and generally fall under the various fair use or educational provisions.

3) Citing the work is all you need to do nowadays if it is non-profit, right? I mean, I wrote essays back in high school and college, and I uses footnotes and citations, and I didn't call up every one of those authors to ask their permission...
Citations and footnotes fall under fair use... small excerpts used to make critical points. There have been various judicial verdicts upon how much of an exceprt you can use to make a point.

Wow at the boat/ship! Amazing what they are doing in this project. But alas..its going to get canceled so why bother putting all that effort? Why not change Link into a different character and call it something else...come on guys! I would love to play this game..DO IT!

Top Bottom