• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozfunghi

The environments, i can get behind (though they're no improvement over the original), but the characters totally look out of place. I hope they are still "testing" with the artstyle.

Angry Fork

I never played this game but I liked the cel-shaded look, the water looked really nice. Now it looks more clean and Wii-like though, did they take away the cel-shading? The water looks different but maybe it looks the same in motion.

muddy? not bright and clean?

irbdIzFZIJj6E.jpg

I mean, if you'd said it look cooler (in tone) and not as warm, I'd maybe get what you meant, but I really don't. That looks beautiful to me. I mean, sure taste is subjective, but I don't see how this is muddy, of all things.

I'd say it looks messy and overlit with poor texture work.

Ni No Kuni is out. Want me to make comparison shots?

Wind Waker on Dolphin in 1080p@60fps is gorgeous, cause it's a simple style that scales very well. They removed the style from it that scales well and made it look like a quick prototype a student would come up with with ripped models.

Pociask

They're not, or else they would have said "new content."

You're reading a lot into a translated bullet point on a powerpoint slide.

It's very much wait and see right now. Heck, gameplay tuning could mean "We need more handholding, and a companion character that gives you constant reminders about what NPC's just said, where you're going, and when your health is low." BUT I think it's reasonable to assume that gameplay tuning means fixing the most universally panned aspect of the title (outside of "boo! I demand a manly Link! No kiddie Celda for me!")

I appreciate that they're trying to update the graphics but I still prefer the cel-shaded cartoon style. Wind Waker is still the prettiest game I've ever played (seriously, it was like playing with a kitten) and it really only needs the higher resolution.

Not that they couldn't keep the old renderer as optional. I just hope that they do.

From a tech level, it looks good....but I prefer how the GCN made the cell shading look tbh.
I played through WW last year and outside of some dodgy textures used in places where most people probably wouldn't explore, the game still looked stunning and when played on a dolphin it's a clean and beautiful as can be.
This new look kinda a bit too much for me.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
God that looks fantastic.(Although the lighting and IQ look too crisp to be true, but hey it is a GC game at heart so I can hope..)

Though not enough for me to get a WiiU. WW was fun, but it had too many flaws for a remake of it to be a system seller. (Unless they put some work into the gameplay and game itself)

Now if Nintendo would go all out on the HD remakes and do the Prime Trilogy, Rougue Leader, Wave Race, SMG, etc and the New Zelda looked like something special, then the WiiU might actually start to look halfway tempting.

Where the fuck is my Majoras Mask 3DS?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Hot damn, if I wasn't sold on a Wii U before, I would be now.
Just a simple island looking this amazing is incredible.

^This is the only correct reaction to this thread.

Anyone in this thread who thinks that splattering the same-"next-gen"-blinding bloom and low quality SSAO onto a cell-shaded game will make it an HD-rerelease has just lost their Hardcore Gamer card.

Anyone thinking that the Dolphin screenshots aren't "good" enough for HD might want to remember that Dolphin Edition of Wing Waker has High Resolution Texture Patches for everything from the HUD to the game world.

Wind Waker Ladies and Gentlemen,

making Nerds lose their minds about graphical styles since 2003.

For all I've seen, the screens they've shown are merely WIP shots that really came along with experiments on how the new Zelda should look like. They merely built Windfall Island in their new engine, put Link, Tetra and that other Lady there to take some screens to showcase it. Nothing there is final, and I doubt the final game will be quite as bloom heavy.

But keep on overreacting. ND really proved to be Mini E3s, complete with all the hyperbole, rants and silly antics.

spekkeh

Banned
Screen3-Large.jpg

vs

irbdIzFZIJj6E.jpg

Ding ding ding.

This comparison shows exactly what is wrong here. Nintendo seemed to have forgotten what it was about WW's look that made it so special. It's like they're trying to SQUEEZE all the lively cartoonish bright joy out of this thing.

Erm, the bottom one does look better and more cartoony. The reason why you prefer the top one methinks is that it has those colorful characters in them, while the bottom one is just some lifeless scenery. Just focus on the way the town looks. IMO better in the bottom one.

gfdoom

I can't wait to see what the folks that are saying this looks bad, or textures are poor,etc. will say once they see it in motion. People where complaining when they first showed Windwaker and now they're still complaining even when the gfx have been suped up. Nintendo is forever damned if they do, damned if they don't...:/

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
My problem is not with the bloom per se, or even the amount of it (although they could certainly tone it down and I wouldn't complain.) It's the harshness of the light, it's too light/white. If they had decided to show off the same screenshots at sunset I would probably be much more positive on them. Right now it looks like they're using early morning and the light it just way too harsh.

KuGsj.gif

Kule

Not sure how I feel about the changes so far. Seems odd to hide one of his eyebrows as I remember an interview at the time the game originally came out where they explained it was a conscious choice to have them above the hair to express Link's emotions.
His belt is also altered and looks like a missing texture and his pupils look cat like.

Hoping these screenshots were just taken from an early build and not final.

windwaker1280x9608xqcsawx8.jpg

558363_468954886498980_159973991_n.jpg

Taker666

Damn, so many down on the style. I think it looks fantastic.

I have no idea why anyone is down on it. Bunch of miserable gits if you ask me. Almost everyone splooged when they first saw it then the misery of the nitpicky whining takes over.

It looks fabulous.

Maybe it's a bunch of people who want it but don't want to buy a Wii U ...so they take a shit on it so they can feel better about ignoring it. If they are actual Zelda fans then I'd stop making the games if I was Nintendo as they obviously can't do anything right (reminds me of Doctor Who fans in the UK).

Mit-

This is mind-bogglingly inane and ludicrous.

And exactly right?

Look at the ship in the background of the image from WWHD that everyone keeps quoting.

Why is it almost completely washed out from light that the CLOUD behind it is giving off?

Why do I feel like I need sunglasses just to look at the game? It's like the sun is 10 miles away from the island.

Have you ever taken a "Saturation" color slider and turned it all the way up? That's what WWHD does. All the blues and greens are so incredibly bright and neon, followed by incredibly dark shadows.

Ugh. It's disgusting. At least the shadowing would be acceptable if it was dusk. But it's not. It's broad daylight.

So basically, you are saying that since you personally don't like what they've shown, though other people have no problem with it, that obviously means that Nintendo wasn't *really* showing the game off, because they've only barely started work on it and everything is placeholder. Though Nintendo has made it a big deal that they don't want to show things before they are ready, and have been extremely secretive because of that.

Huh.

Did you watch the direct?

What they showed was clearly meant for internal use only. They said themselves they were just rendering some stuff to test/reference possible directions for Zelda on the new hardware and in the process decided to go all out on a remake.

The way it was presented it was those reference scenes. So yes what we have seen is most likely not final in any way. Additionally with all the ground work covered and with experienced devs this should be easily done in 8months with tweaking/extras to boot.

These were all from Nintendo's graphic testings, so it might not look like this in the finished game.

antitrop

Killer-app is on a personal basis. If Wind Waker HD is enough for someone to purchase a WiiU, then it is the killer app to them.

gfdoom

And exactly right?

Look at the ship in the background of the image from WWHD that everyone keeps quoting.

Why is it almost completely washed out from light that the CLOUD behind it is giving off?

Why do I feel like I need sunglasses just to look at the game? It's like the sun is 10 miles away from the island.

Have you ever taken a "Saturation" color slider and turned it all the way up? That's what WWHD does. All the blues and greens are so incredibly bright and neon, followed by incredibly dark shadows.

Ugh. It's disgusting. At least the shadowing would be acceptable if it was dusk. But it's not. It's broad daylight.
hmmmm...can't tell if you're serious...@_@

olimpia84

For those bitching about the graphics: nobody is stopping you from going back and playing this on the Gamecube, Wii or Dolphin.

Hakai

It need some texture work, cuz the old textures are not working fine.

Aside from that I think is awesome.

Maybe people just wanted a resolution change, while Nintendo went all the way to use the new stuff, the Wii U can do.

I think this game in motion will be awesome. Day 1 for me!

Did Nintendo confirm additional content or other gameplay enhancements? Didn't seem like it from the YT link so I'm confused at all the hype around an HD port when graphics were not the problem with WW. Certainly not enough for me to double-dip on the game.

Agree with this. Graphics were the least problem with the original Wind Waker. I have a hard time re-buying this version if it lacks extra content or areas.

Lunar15

Don't really care about graphics, just "tune-up the gameplay" please. I love TWW, but yeesh that game has horrible pacing issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom