• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Review Thread.

LiK

So does Gamespot even perform actual reviews on Nintendo games anymore or do they just give everything an 8.0?

WindWaker HD - 8.0
Nintendoland - 8.0
Wonderful 101 - 8.0
Rayman Legends (WiiU version) - 8.0
Pikmin 3 - 8.0
Monster Hunter 3 HD - 8.0
Lego City Undercover - 8.0

wow

Vire

Can we call out reviews when they are factually wrong? And it's not about the score. Did almost nothing to improve it? Are you fucking kidding me?

Sounds like they were disappointed by a lack of new content, especially at the price point they are charging.

I don't really see a problem.

LGom09

In Short: A bad Zelda is still a good game by any other standard but this does frustrating little to improve its standing, beyond making the graphics look even more stunning.

Pros: Absolutely gorgeous visuals, updated with obvious love and care. Equally good soundtrack. Some great moments, including two classic set pieces that are amongst the best in the series.

Cons: The game was always a lesser entry in the franchise and this does almost nothing to improve it. Very expensive given the lack of changes. Strange omission of the Tingle Tuner.

Which set pieces is he talking about? Been a while since I played this.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
So does Gamespot even perform actual reviews on Nintendo games anymore or do they just give everything an 8.0?

WindWaker HD - 8.0
Nintendoland - 8.0
Wonderful 101 - 8.0
Pikmin 3 - 8.0

Honestly, I'd take a guaranteed 8 out of 10 if I was Nintendo, lol

Burai

shitonmychest57

WindWaker HD - 8.0
Nintendoland - 8.0
Wonderful 101 - 8.0
Pikmin 3 - 8.0

Did you miss out

New Super Mario Bros U - 8.5
New Super Luigi U - 8.5
Game & Wario - 5.0

on purpose?

Timeaisis

I don't really need to pay attention to these reviews to know this game is fantastic. Unless they start saying they ruin parts of the game by cutting stuff out, or drastically alter some other apsect, there's no reason not to get this.

87% metacritic is actually pretty good for a remake. Remake's usually score slightly lower just because they are remakes. And lol at the metro article claiming WW is the worst Zelda. Ah. I can't wait for this.

kazebyaka

Banned
A speedrun of any game looks repetitive and tedious.
i don't know about that, because in speedrun they do same stuff as any other player would but fifty times faster, using lots of awesome tricks. If this seems repetitive, then the actual game must be a total drag.

D-e-f-

Banned
still sounds like a missed opportunity to finish the last 2 dungeons.

They were finished. And put into other Zelda games. It's not like they have a Wind Waker build with two islands with dungeons on them sitting there suspended in eternity.

WTF?! How is NSMBU an 8.5 while P3 is an 8?!! Injustice!!

Different people?

[insert website that reviews games here] != a single person

ASIS

i don't know about that, because in speedrun they do same stuff as any other player would but fifty times faster, using lots of awesome tricks. If this seems repetitive, then the actual game must be a total drag.

Speedruns skip entire sections of the game if they could. It also distorts the pace. Don't use it as a metric of judgement.

antonz

Did you miss out

New Super Luigi U - 8.5
Game & Wario - 5.0

on purpose?

Rayman Legends was rated higher on the PS3 and 360 at Gamespot even though they have less content and less features. Because he found the extra content the WIi U version dull even though its bonus content he rated the game lower and all versions were done by same guy so its not a matter of taste

They were finished. And put into other Zelda games. It's not like they have a Wind Waker build with two islands with dungeons on them sitting there suspended in eternity.
I would imagine in the process of allegedly remaking the game from the ground up they would have made new dungeons to cover for well known filler in the last quarter of the game.

Assuming that this is an actual remake.

The speedrun route for WW is very different than the intended route and uses a lot of the same tricks multiple times.

I would imagine in the process of allegedly remaking the game from the ground up they would have made new dungeons to cover for well known filler in the last quarter of the game.

Assuming that this is an actual remake.

...You and this again?

WTF?! How is NSMBU an 8.5 while P3 is an 8?!! Injustice!!
NSMBU is one of the best 2D platformers ever made, so what surprises me is that it only got an 8.5
I suppose that this is what happens when you don't base the experience on the graphics, the scripts and the explosions, it doesn't matter how good you are, you'll never get more than an 8.5
Regarding Pikmin 3... I think this is another case of not being from the right genre. But at least those games won't make them feel fooled, I mean, look at the 4.5 they gave ZombiU only because they were expecting a shooter and they got a first person survival horror.

GetemMa

Did you miss out

New Super Luigi U - 8.5
Game & Wario - 5.0

on purpose?

So just 70% of major Nintendo releases have gotten an 8.0.

God, just saying that is more incriminating than listing them out.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Sounds like they were disappointed by a lack of new content, especially at the price point they are charging.

I don't really see a problem.

They are not disappointed by the lack of new content, they are disappointed by the lack of change. And there's a fistful or 2 of them.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

WindWaker HD - 8.0
Nintendoland - 8.0
Wonderful 101 - 8.0
Pikmin 3 - 8.0
Gamespot operates on a 0.5 scale. Furthermore, their review guidelines dictate that 7.0 and 7.5 are games with noticeable faults while 9.0 and higher get their editor's choice award. Which forces everything inbetween to a 8.0 or 8.5.

So its more an inherent flaw with their review system than anything. Would you prefer the meaningless decimal system that IGN uses?

ASIS

Different people?

[insert website that reviews games here] != a single person

The entire point of a review site is to establish a metric in which people, though subjective, still rate the games in harmony with one another.

Regardless, I don't care, it's still injustice :p

Revven

While that thought might apply to something like 100% Super Metroid or something, Wind Waker is entirely different.

The speedrun of Wind Waker is hardly a good representation of the game in a casual playthrough sense. It has massive skips and tricks to get to the destination as fast as possible or even skip entire parts of dungeons. It's entertaining, yes, but it doesn't really encapsulate the full experience of the game.

Vire

They are not disappointed by the lack of new content, they are disappointed by the lack of change. And there's a fistful or 2 of them.

You didn't read it then:

But the primary problem with The Wind Waker is that it was rushed. The GameCube was not selling well and Nintendo needed a big hitter as quickly as possible – which may sound like a familiar situation. This lead to at least one dungeon, and who knows what else, being cut from the original design and ruining the pacing of the final third of the game. (A similar fate befall Super Mario Sunshine and its wretched blue coin hunts).

You would think therefore that this HD remake was all about adding that content back in, but no. According to Nintendo those lost dungeons were adapted and reused for subsequent Zeldas and in the end The Wind Waker HD has very little new content at all. You get a new gadget to speed up your boat and the Triforce quest at the end has been simplified so that it no longer drags on for so long, but that’s almost it.

WindWaker HD - 8.0
Nintendoland - 8.0
Wonderful 101 - 8.0
Pikmin 3 - 8.0

well spotted, so just add 2 to all wii u reviews to get the real scores then

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

WindWaker HD - 8.0
Nintendoland - 8.0
Wonderful 101 - 8.0
Pikmin 3 - 8.0

8-ers gonna 8. ;)

Rayman Legends was rated higher on the PS3 and 360 at Gamespot even though they have less content and less features. Because he found the extra content the WIi U version dull even though its bonus content he rated the game lower and all versions were done by same guy so its not a matter of taste

another amusing anecdote filed away in "Kamiya Asks: Is ___ your god?"

plank

Gamespot operates on a 0.5 scale. Furthermore, their review guidelines dictate that 7.0 and 7.5 are games with noticeable faults while 9.0 and higher get their editor's choice award. Which forces everything inbetween to a 8.0 or 8.5.

So its more an inherent flaw with their review system than anything. Would you prefer the meaningless decimal system that IGN uses?

Gamespot goes by 1s now.

Onesimos

Gamespot has since abandoned the 0.5 in favor of the ten-point scale used by sites like EDGE.

hatchx

Banned

The writers/editors at gamespot are clearly biased. They've been the outlier on too many Nintendo releases for it not to be obvious at this point.

I can understand people not being interested in Nintendo consoles, but I don't know how I feel about those people reviewing the games.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Well looks like I was wrong about the embargo ending tomorrow, looking at all the reviews that already came out.

jts

...hate me...
This last third of the year man.

sogood.gif

Sad for the people missing out on the Wii U.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Gamespot goes by 1s now.

Ah, so you're right. Still, that only happened a month ago.

Good change. Might as well erase the artificial diversity that the decimal scale suggests. They really should change it to 8 instead of 8.0 though.

Top Bottom