• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes |OT| Purple Link just didn't stay fresh enough.

zigg

I'm getting mixed results. Nothing dreadful, we always finish, but... they do seem to be much slower to pick up the ideas.
I had one particularly rough match-up with one honest, good player and one rusher who constantly ran ahead and hammered on the OVER HERE button.

In retrospect, probably should've blacklisted, but I haven't had to do that yet so it didn't occur to me.

Sagitario

I was really hoping for an update that would let us use buttons to change Links [for single player]. I don't find the touch screen accessible nor fast enough for this game.

Marow

Got this game on Christmas and have had an absolute blast with it - both multiplayer and single player (surprisingly!). It can be rather relaxing and refreshing playing alone and it works quite well once you you the hang of it. Some levels have frustrating moments - mainly relating to the water rod - but more often than not it's not as bad as many say (perhaps many gave up and judged early as the water rod fest is the second world?).

The free Den of Trials DLC was also really fun. Heck, the whole game is tons of fun! I love it, in fact. It's so much fun and multiplayer online is much better than I ever could've hoped for - both in terms of performance and players. Here's hoping for more 2D Zelda in the future, because after two new 2D games it's clear Nintendo (and... Grezzo, I guess?) is better with that than the recent 3D outings. Well, in my opinion that is. Many will disagree.

Think I'll actually see if I can do all challenges. Some might be rather hard to do with strangers, I fear...

Question: I've read complaints about single- and multiplayer challenges being counted separately, yet when I check they're not that for me (as in, they share completion status). Was this patched or have many been spreading misinformation?

So does the blue bird actually trigger the merchant to accept double the value for your treasures? I can't seem to do it.
Didn't do anything for me. I almost assume it's become a myth, but I'll gladly be proven wrong.

TheMoon

Question: I've read complaints about single- and multiplayer challenges being counted separately, yet when I check they're not that for me (as in, they share completion status). Was this patched or have many been spreading misinformation?

The screen you're checking them on, look at the bottom. Touch those buttons and you'll go "oh!" :)

I got this for Christmas and so far .. well .. it's been a bit of a mess.

Is anyone else having serious connection issues? Most games I play are really laggy and I'm actually getting disconnected more often than not. It's actually unplayable for me in multiplayer now as I get disconnected before completing anything.

It's really a shame as I want to enjoy it but I'm just fed up and frustrated.

(by the way, I have no connection issues with other games).

My NNiD is Twingusitics, anyone up for a blast online right now? I don't mind what we do.

I'm in the UK.

Can't imagine that's causing my problems? It could be my router, I lost connection to Xenoblade Chronicles X twice the other day.

Junahu

Online multiplayer is region locked in this game, that's why it's important to let people know your region when asking for team-ups.

Edit: Actually, multiplayer in general is region locked, not just the online kind.

zigg

Is anyone else having serious connection issues? Most games I play are really laggy and I'm actually getting disconnected more often than not. It's actually unplayable for me in multiplayer now as I get disconnected before completing anything.
I got it just before Christmas, and it was much better. I think there are a lot of kids with bad connections and power-button trigger fingers playing post-Christmas.

But I'm the US, too, so who knows.

Shiv47

So without going through the whole thread, my kids each bought copies of this, but they're under the impression that if I play with them via download play, the progress they make will only save for whoever is hosting the game? I don't want to buy a copy just to ensure they each get their progress saved, but if forced I guess I could. They would prefer not to have to play with randoms if possible.

TheMoon

So without going through the whole thread, my kids each bought copies of this, but they're under the impression that if I play with them via download play, the progress they make will only save for whoever is hosting the game? I don't want to buy a copy just to ensure they each get their progress saved, but if forced I guess I could. They would prefer not to have to play with randoms if possible.

https://cdn02.nintendo-europe.com/m...endo3DS_TheLegendOfZeldaTriForceHeroes_EN.pdf

tfhdlprluu2.jpg

Andyliini

I have played a download play as a guest once or twice, but the captain still won't ask me if I want to transfer my data. I don't know if one has to play as a guest a certain number of times before it comes available, but the game says it will open at certain point in the game. I have beaten the game, but still nothing. The manual doesn't help either.

Ok, so at the moment, online play for me is unplayable.

The lag is horrendous and I get disconnected more often then not. What's going on? I just fired up Smash Bros on Wii U to test my connection and it was perfect so it must just be this game.

Is there anyway I can fix this? How are you guys managing to play online? I really enjoy the game when it's working but at the moment it just never, ever, works.

I'm in the U.K. by the way.

Edit

I have a question - When I get "An error has occurred, you have been disconnected" could this be one of the players disconnecting at their end because they have left? I thought I had previous had seen a "something urgent has come up" message before from a player so I'm thinking that my problem isn't just players leaving?

also

Banned
Ok, so at the moment, online play for me is unplayable.

The lag is horrendous and I get disconnected more often then not. What's going on? I just fired up Smash Bros on Wii U to test my connection and it was perfect so it must just be this game.

Is there anyway I can fix this? How are you guys managing to play online? I really enjoy the game when it's working but at the moment it just never, ever, works.

I'm in the U.K. by the way.

Edit

I have a question - When I get "An error has occurred, you have been disconnected" could this be one of the players disconnecting at their end because they have left? I thought I had previous had seen a "something urgent has come up" message before from a player so I'm thinking that my problem isn't just players leaving?
Could be both.
You only get "something urgent has come up" if someone leaves the group via the in-game option.
If someone quits by switching off their 3DS or turning off the wifi on their 3DS, you will get "An error has occurred, you have been disconnected". You will also get this message if the issue is with Nintendo's servers or your own/other players' connection.

Could be both.
You only get "something urgent has come up" if someone leaves the group via the in-game option.
If someone quits by switching off their 3DS or turning off the wifi on their 3DS, you will get "An error has occurred, you have been disconnected". You will also get this message if the issue is with Nintendo's servers or your own/other players' connection.

Ok cool, thanks. Maybe they are just snapping their 3ds shut then. That doesn't explain the terrible lag though.

Is no one on Gaf playing this anymore? Isn't anyone else having this problem? I have basically been given a game that is unplayable. Nintendo should be ashamed and pull this from sale as the net code doesn't work. It's disgusting.

If anyone is thinking of buying this game then don't. 90% of the time the online doesn't work and I know it's the game as my net is fine for other games.

TheMoon

Is no one on Gaf playing this anymore? Isn't anyone else having this problem? I have basically been given a game that is unplayable. Nintendo should be ashamed and pull this from sale as the net code doesn't work. It's disgusting.

If anyone is thinking of buying this game then don't. 90% of the time the online doesn't work and I know it's the game as my net is fine for other games.

It works fine on average. Don't generalize based on your bad experience.

I'm not generalising.

90% of my online games have ended in disconnection or have had horrific lag. I can play online fine in other games so I'm finding this strange.

I am not exaggerating, for me this is unplayable online and my internet is usually good.

If the net code is fine and its just me then please help me diagnose and fix the problem.

TheMoon

I'm not generalising.

90% of my online games have ended in disconnection or have had horrific lag. I can play online fine in other games so I'm finding this strange.

Nintendo should be ashamed and pull this from sale as the net code doesn't work. It's disgusting.

Looks like generalizing to me. Your scenario is not the norm. Lag and occasional disconnects happened to most people here but your are acting as if your misfortune is something that happens in everyone's game with the same frequency.

OK, if it's just me then

please help me diagnose and fix the problem

I don't understand how I can play smash on wiiu flawlessly and then go to this and get disconnected almost every time.

I really want to play this online but the slow down is horrendous and then I get disconnected.

How come this is just me? I'm not sure it is and I want people to be wary of picking this up.

If I had "spotty WiFi" then wouldn't I be having problems with other games?

Unless it's possible to have problems with a 3ds on a connection that's fine for a wiiu?

Are there any experts on here that can help me?

Also, theMoon, are you telling me you can connect right now and play a lag free game from start to finish with no disconnections?

maxcriden

If I had "spotty WiFi" then wouldn't I be having problems with other games?

Unless it's possible to have problems with a 3ds on a connection that's fine for a wiiu?

Are there any experts on here that can help me?

Also, theMoon, are you telling me you can connect right now and play a lag free game from start to finish with no disconnections?

Yes, it is possible to have problems with a 3DS connection that works for Wii U. It's counter intuitive but my understanding is that Wii U has better WiFi tech than 3DS so it will be able to pick up a weaker connection more easily than a 3DS can. (Someone please do correct me if I'm mistaken.)

It also may just be terrible luck, in which case keep trying. Are you always selecting slow and steady or swift as an arrow? Maybe try the other if you're always selecting only one of those.

If all else fails, I suppose SP is your best bet, or recruiting a couple peeps to play through friends Mode.

zigg

I'm not playing today, but yes, I absolutely have had this experience many times over the past several days. There have also been disconnects and occasional lag, but I've had 90% perfect games rather than 90% crappy games.

The nature of this game means it demands a really good connection, since it can't hide lag with netcode like you can with FPS games or racing games. I'm really impressed with the job Nintendo has done here.

I can't help you with your connection, though. You'll need not just a low ping but a steady ping, and you'll need to not have a saturated connection ever. If you're doing streaming or torrents, stop those maybe?

Yes, it is possible to have problems with a 3DS connection that works for Wii U. It's counter intuitive but my understanding is that Wii U has better WiFi tech than 3DS so it will be able to pick up a weaker connection more easily than a 3DS can. (Someone please do correct me if I'm mistaken.)

It also may just be terrible luck, in which case keep trying. Are you always selecting slow and steady or swift as an arrow? Maybe try the other if you're always selecting only one of those.

If all else fails, I suppose SP is your best bet, or recruiting a couple peeps to play through friends Mode.

Hey thanks. I'm actually playing single player now, it's OK but can be pretty tough.

Perhaps it's my connection? I have 13mb ping but I've googled and that's apparently OK. I don't know enough to be able to fiddle around in my router's settings to try other things out.

I've been trying slow and steady and swift as an arrow and both are equally bad. Very occasionally I'll get a good game that only buffers a few times but they are pretty rare.

To be honest, I thought I'd be able to ask people on here to play with me (worked easily in the mh4u thread) but no one seems interested in here. I'm pretty disappointed, I was looking forward to playing this with GAF but I guess I'm too lttp?

Edit - how can I tell if my ping is steady? Also my connection isn't saturated, I don't use it for anything else when gaming.

maxcriden

Hey thanks. I'm actually playing single player now, it's OK but can be pretty tough.

Perhaps it's my connection? I have 13mb ping but I've googled and that's apparently OK. I don't know enough to be able to fiddle around in my router's settings to try other things out.

I've been trying slow and steady and swift as an arrow and both are equally bad. Very occasionally I'll get a good game that only buffers a few times but they are pretty rare.

To be honest, I thought I'd be able to ask people on here to play with me (worked easily in the mh4u thread) but no one seems interested in here. I'm pretty disappointed, I was looking forward to playing this with GAF but I guess I'm too lttp?

Edit - how can I tell if my ping is steady? Also my connection isn't saturated, I don't use it for anything else when gaming.

Ah, that's too bad. I was hoping zigg was onto something there as I thought that was a good suggestion that might fix things for ya. Hmm.

I don't know enough about pings and connections to be able to advise you unfortunately. Hopefully someone else can come in here and help you out. How many matches have you tried total? I think if it's more than 20 and the problem is consistent, unfortunately it's probably on your end somehow. I would try again each day to see if it's better somehow though.

As to recruiting heroes from this thread, I think the community was unfortunately tiny to begin with, and region-locked play (though understandable) only fragmented that further. I was looking for people to help me a month after releaw and luckily managed to find people but it wasn't easy. You might see if there are Zelda fansites or gameFAQS even or some other enclave of people (Miiverse?) That could assist you there in the UK, but my concern is that your connection might be the issue and if so playing with friends may not solve the problem.

TheMoon

I've finished the whole game plus some challenges and the whole den of trials in online co-op. As I've said, disconnects and lag is a thing that happens for everyone. Every now and then.

Ah, that's too bad. I was hoping zigg was onto something there as I thought that was a good suggestion that might fix things for ya. Hmm.

I don't know enough about pings and connections to be able to advise you unfortunately. Hopefully someone else can come in here and help you out. How many matches have you tried total? I think if it's more than 20 and the problem is consistent, unfortunately it's probably on your end somehow. I would try again each day to see if it's better somehow though.

As to recruiting heroes from this thread, I think the community was unfortunately tiny to begin with, and region-locked play (though understandable) only fragmented that further. I was looking for people to help me a month after releaw and luckily managed to find people but it wasn't easy. You might see if there are Zelda fansites or gameFAQS even or some other enclave of people (Miiverse?) That could assist you there in the UK, but my concern is that your connection might be the issue and if so playing with friends may not solve the problem.

I've tried over 20 I would imagine and only a handful has it been an enjoyable, problem free, experience.

I guess maybe it is my connection then. I suppose I'll just keep trying a few times a day and hope that it improves or I luck out and get a good connection.

As for the single player - Hinox Mines is impossible! There are way too many bombs for one player to throw away, and when one goes off it triggers them all and I get hit. Not sure I'll ever do that solo.

zigg

Please tell me that my entire team doesn't have to sit through the cutscene every time we play world 5-4 now that we've finally beaten it.

maxcriden

Please tell me that my entire team doesn't have to sit through the cutscene every time we play world 5-4 now that we've finally beaten it.

You sure do. Sorry. I'm pretty sure you do. The 8-4 cutscene is a bit worse IIRC. I have very little patience for these cutscenes even though in reality they're probably super-brief. Dialogue boxes you can't 'a' your way through really bother me. lol.

zigg

I'm at CodeMash this week and am thrilled to have found a few people to play with. Love playing this local. 👍🏻

Regiruler

When you have a near perfect run with competent randoms and you disconnect.

eeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Top Bottom